PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PSN Cards now available at Blockbuster

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 15, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Sighted today in Belmont, CA:

Oh, and because my wording might’ve been a bit confusing (we didn’t *practice* this, we just walked in!), you will of course be able to purchase WipEout HD normally via the PLAYSTATION Store. Now, there’s another option as well.

+ wallhugger on September 16th, 2008 at 8:37 am said:

It would be if you guys would just spread this worldwide. Oh and please make the american store international, for some reason the scee belgium seem to not have a clue how to make their store easy to browse plus giving us interesting stuff to buy >.> it’s as if they want us to hate them or something.

+ MaternalBloom on September 16th, 2008 at 8:54 am said:

PSN Cards for Australia ?

+ Biskoito on September 16th, 2008 at 8:57 am said:

Jeff, next time you film and let the girl talks!!! LOL!

+ Emadeowa on September 16th, 2008 at 9:00 am said:

WOW yet again Canadians get the SHAFT….*walks away shaking his head*

+ THATPSPGUY on September 16th, 2008 at 9:04 am said:

Life with Playstation, sure we’re living it right now, bored, tired and waiting. That is Life with Playstation to me as of late. I am starting a calling campaign to call blockbuster head office everyday until the psn cards are released here in Canada. Get them out to us. If you could exactly explain why there is a delay I’m sure people would understand.

Heck it was ME who got the whole socom beta delayed by a week, yes me not technical difficulties. It was me because they had no codes for the beta in Canada so I kicked up a stink about it and called Slant Six’s Vancouver office to let them know that they were totally dropping the ball on that one.(Which they pretty much have done so anyways.)

Today I will be calling Doria again at the Foster City HQ, as she PROMISED ME, that they would be available in CANADA by the “END OF JUNE”.

Hello do you like to lie through your teeth to your customers? If I did that at my work I would be FIRED on the spot.

Maybe some layoff notices lingering over peeps heads will get this mess straightened out.

Tired of Life Without Playstation…..

+ GGCAN on September 16th, 2008 at 9:11 am said:

@THATPSGUY…you may have a good idea there.

If everyone in Canada that wants PSN cards calls, emails, writes to Blockbuster and they see the volume of gamers wanting these and realize they are missing out on making $$$, we just may get them sooner than mid 2009 as Blockbuster has stated.

+ Azured_Scorpio on September 16th, 2008 at 9:23 am said:

Man! I hate Blockbuster Video! They never had the movies I looked for (at least here in RI). That’s why now I go to Hollywood Video instead, I hope they’ll sell those, or what about GameStop? Also I’m glad that whenever I buy something from the store I don’t have to pay taxes on it! My friend is going to be so happy!!!

+ kokoro on September 16th, 2008 at 9:23 am said:

PLEASE!!!

Make them available for Mexico Blockbusters also!!! Remember us? we have lo store, but we still support you!!!!

+ THATPSPGUY on September 16th, 2008 at 9:34 am said:

Update, just got off the phone with BB and they say sometime mid 2009. What the heck is that about? Looks like I won’t be buying anything in the store for a LOOOOOOOOONG TIME!
Thanks SCEA, thanks for nothing.

+ mobiletone on September 16th, 2008 at 10:07 am said:

my local Blockbuster didn’t have a clue what i was on about when i went to buy a card.

+ GGCAN on September 16th, 2008 at 10:36 am said:

@mobiletone….call the head office.

After I sent the email, I just received a call from Customer services at Blockbuster.

They advised it may again be our Canadian laws holding this up.

They’re getting lots of calls and inquiries and I stated to them that they’re losing a lot of money as many are willing to buy them.

I was told today…(1:30 pm EST) that Blockbuster is now trying very hard to get them in Canada.

So I guess us calling may help get them…maybe not…but they now know there is money to be made here.

+ Letters2Kay on September 16th, 2008 at 10:38 am said:

Here’s the problem with trumpeting proudly that PSN cards can be found at Blockbuster locations: about 50% of all Blockbuster locations are franchise and the rest are corporate. While most corporate stores may carry the cards, I’m guessing that about 0.0% of franchise locations will ever get them. You’re going to have a lot of discouraged customers around the country looking for these cards in vain!

+ TrancePadde on September 16th, 2008 at 11:15 am said:

there are only a few credit card owners in europe.
there’s so much money for you to take, sony. and obviously you don’t want it

+ Calibos on September 16th, 2008 at 11:19 am said:

Hey, just a heads up.

I bought 2 $50 PSN Cards at the Blockbuster Video in Phillipsburg, NJ. I was charged a total of $107. The employee said “Oh, you were charged tax. We usually don’t charge tax for gift cards”, and she instructed me to call Blockbusters 1-800 customer service #. Still waiting to hear back from them…

+ Calibos on September 16th, 2008 at 11:23 am said:

And, I should add…I am usually charged tax when I purchase items off PSN.

SO essentially I was charged tax twice.

+ stlman90 on September 16th, 2008 at 11:36 am said:

So Jeff, quick question…Is Blockbuster the only store that sells the PSN cards?

+ saintfighteraqua on September 16th, 2008 at 11:47 am said:

MS cards and Nintendo cards also are taxed, not just Sony’s.
I ahve never payed tax on PSN though.

+ Oxygen on September 16th, 2008 at 12:01 pm said:

Tried to score PSN cards at the local Blockbuster, and waited an hour and a half to no avail. The cards would not read in the system, and when the manager called computer support, they could do nothing. They said that a bunch of stores are facing similar issues (cannot activate the cards), and that it would be 2 – 3 days.

Hopefully things will be fixed by then.

+ KarasuRiderGT on September 16th, 2008 at 12:13 pm said:

Well I went to one of the Blockbusters near my place here in FL and they had them. Picked up a $50 one(and rented Star Wars Unleashed) and there were no problems with them scanning or checking out the card.

+ matsuiichi on September 16th, 2008 at 12:16 pm said:

I’m not really sure if this is an off-topic post or not but it relates to PSN so I will voice it here:

I have purchased (not rented, purchased) items on the PSN Video Store, but they do not show up in my download history. Is it supposed to be this way, or am I just an isolated case?

On topic, however, it’s great to see the PSN Cards are finally rolling out. It’s great news and I can’t wait to pick mine up. :)

+ cmargary on September 16th, 2008 at 12:25 pm said:

@matsuiichi

Yeah… it’s supposed to be in that way… it will only appears when you purchase it but never hit download. You can only download your movies once; that’s why I only rent movies. If they add captions I will buy a lot lol…

On topic… my blockbuster doesn’t have the cards and the employees even didn’t know if they will have those ones soon, hell, they even have xbox live cards…

+ Oxygen on September 16th, 2008 at 12:45 pm said:

There seems to be a huge disconnect between corporate and the stores. It seems like some stores got boxes of these cards that they do not know what to do with. I have no idea where the communication breakdown is, but I hope it gets fixed soon.

+ Hummer3man on September 16th, 2008 at 1:00 pm said:

I got my first psn card today. i got mine at a block buster on long island, New York.

+ andtwo on September 16th, 2008 at 1:01 pm said:

Just bought some PSN Cards, but I can’t redeem them on my Playstation Store account. Is there an activation period after you get them from the store. I know the cards are only activated after you pay for them but do you have to wait??
Or is it because my Account is Canadian, and the cards are US??

+ kspraydad on September 16th, 2008 at 1:16 pm said:

@174

Bingo.

+ kspraydad on September 16th, 2008 at 1:21 pm said:

@170@171
Why I will NEVER buy a movie off of the PSN…not being able to redownload after sending in a broken PS3 is asinine.

Tie it to my PSN ID not my machine SONY.

+ Sephiroth on September 16th, 2008 at 1:29 pm said:

@Jeff:

These cards work on other PS Store besides the U.S one, for example the European or Japanise? Actually I use my international AMEX credit card to buy from the US Store (I live in Costa Rica :) ) but I’d love to buy some games from the Euro store too, but I can’t buy with my AMEX card :(

+ takuya619 on September 16th, 2008 at 1:37 pm said:

So whats the deal? I dont understand how tax can be included. If I buy a $20 card, wont that just throw $20 bucks into my PSN wallet? I imagine that when I go to purchase a game/item the tax will pop on top of that, making it necessary to actually go and get another card to pop more money into my wallet. Can anyone confirm that when you use a PSN card that you dont have to pay the additional tax on the items that you purchase?

+ Sephiroth on September 16th, 2008 at 1:50 pm said:

@178: As far as I recall, I’ve never been taxed when paying stuff at the PS Store, so my guess is that the $20 card should be more than enough to buy, for example, Wipeout HD

+ Emadeowa on September 16th, 2008 at 1:52 pm said:

WOW Sometime Mid 2009 for Canadians is a LONG time not buying from the store…SCEA needs to be calling these BB Stores and get this [DELETED] cleared up b/c it is totally unexceptable(sp..

+ takuya619 on September 16th, 2008 at 1:59 pm said:

@179 – I get taxed all the time. Every time I have purchased a game, or a song for RockBand/SingStar it always tacks on extra for TAX. Where do you live? I live in Montana, a tax free state btw, and I still get taxed.

+ takuya619 on September 16th, 2008 at 2:03 pm said:

Oh – and if I add money to my wallet, no, there is no tax. Its when I purchase an item. A game that costs $9.99 will add another 65 cents or so onto the final price. So if I only have 10 bucks in my wallet at the time, I have to add additional money or I cant get the game.

+ The Saiyan Prince on September 16th, 2008 at 2:28 pm said:

I’m sorry but you are immensely incorrect Jeff, The $20 card will NOT buy you Wipeout a week from Thursday. Wipeout will cost approx. 19.99. Add Tax to that at digital checkout. How much is that? Well… unless your PSN Tax is $.01 you CANNOT buy Wipeout with the $20 card.

+ Sephiroth on September 16th, 2008 at 2:49 pm said:

@181:

Oh I live outside the US and I pay with my AMEX international card, I live in Costa Rica :D , but really I can’t remember being taxed when I’ve bought something on the store…weird

+ CaptionLoken on September 16th, 2008 at 3:00 pm said:

nice, i have a credit card, but i might just buy one for the novelty of it!

+ kratos93 on September 16th, 2008 at 3:49 pm said:

I LIVE THERE!!!

+ S-Bizzy on September 16th, 2008 at 4:15 pm said:

@ Jeff –

So are we supposed to be paying tax on these? I picked one up after work today and there was tax included.

Anyone else with imput is welcome to chime in as well

+ dboy93 on September 16th, 2008 at 4:18 pm said:

u just saw these now??? i’ve seen these cards for more than a week everytime i go to blockbuster

+ CarlosX360 on September 16th, 2008 at 4:56 pm said:

Finally, now I can buy these cards! I was beginning to think that Sony doesn’t give a damn about us customers! Now I can buy my COD4 map pack, and Bionic Commando, and then save the rest and buy the $20 Card for WHD.

I have been waiting for a WipeOut game for a very long time. I looove WipeOut.

+ Wip3ou7 on September 16th, 2008 at 5:29 pm said:

Wether you are charged tax or not on your PSN downloads is dependant on what state your from. It’s been confirmed that customers in FLORIDA do NOT pay tax on PSN downloads, and NY and CA DO pay tax. I would imagine the rest of the states DO NOT either. The state can only tax a local transaction, so possibly SONY is registered in a few states and those are the states you pay tax on it in.

+ MegaClank on September 16th, 2008 at 5:56 pm said:

I get charged tax for PSN games, does this mean a $20 PSN Card for the purchase of WipEout HD would really be around $21?

+ kspraydad on September 16th, 2008 at 6:04 pm said:

$20 is $20

When you buy the card you pay $20 (earlier commenter was charged by Blockbuster and this is WRONG)

If there is tax in YOUR state you need more than a $20 card for WipEout.

Why the frack is this so hard to understand?

+ MegaClank on September 16th, 2008 at 6:36 pm said:

The thing about it for me anyways, was that I was never charged tax until I sent in my PS3 and got a refurbished one. :|

+ BZKlint on September 16th, 2008 at 6:44 pm said:

Commented over PSN ;)

+ psp_9115 on September 16th, 2008 at 8:24 pm said:

COOL i got mine today in REdwood City,CA(close to belmont) at the blockbuster in sequoia station

+ SumGuy on September 16th, 2008 at 9:06 pm said:

You guys complain too much. First is why they are not out yet? Now its why do I have to pay taxes? Please be grateful that they are finally coming out.

+ Heat31 on September 16th, 2008 at 9:41 pm said:

*** Blockbuster is charging tax on PSN cards. I bought one and when the cashier scanned the bar code, the register charged $3.70 of tax on a $50 card. Terrible. So because I get charged tax on the PSN when I buy games, I will be paying tax twice. Hey Jeff, please do a little more research and get your retailers in line with the rest of the world by not charging tax on Gift Cards.

+ HaVoK_08 on September 16th, 2008 at 9:45 pm said:

LOL, not only does the PSN not want to accept my credit card, it doesn’t want to accept the PSN card EITHER!!!! called costumer support and was told i was doing something wrong and was totally patronized…..(sigh) first bad experience with sony.

+ Ranma on September 16th, 2008 at 9:47 pm said:

Will PSN Cards work with items that aren’t technically sold through the PSN store? For instance all of Metal Gear Solid 4′s add-ons are sold through their own (non-Sony) store?

It seems like it should work (that’s primarily the reason I would want a PSN card) but I’d like to get some second opinions first.

+ AranhaHunter on September 16th, 2008 at 9:48 pm said:

I agree with Heat31, I got taxed also, I even called the manager and said I shouldn’t get taxed to which the manager replied:

we tax on everything and stuff like that and then I said this is a gift card so if you tax me now that means when I buy stuff online I’m gonna get taxed twice, and the manager said well this is an entertainment card, not a gift card, this is through another company.

I then showed the thing on the back that said “Any applicable taxes must be paid separately and are not included”, to which he replied any entertainment cards that we sell we tax, wii, xbox360, etc…

I tried telling that Wii and 360 are point based so you only get taxed once and not when you buy stuff online and he basically had a take it or leave it attitude, so I asked for a District Manager number so I can call and verify that the process taken was correct