PS4 - Destiny

WipEout HD Officially Dated, Priced

Daimion Pinnock's Avatar + Posted by Daimion Pinnock on Sep 15, 2008 // Producer, SCEA

By now you’ve probably come across some great previews for wipEout HD, the upcoming anti-gravity racing title on PSN. Between the 1080p racing at 60 frames per second, the awesome trophy support, motion steering via SIXAXIS, online racing and A LOT more, the excitement level is understandably high. Well, we have some more wipEout HD goodness to share today in the form of an OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE.

Drumroll, please!

wohd_20080430_113532.jpg

Your wipEout HD thirst will be quenched on September 25. Yes, that’s right, just 10 days from today. For just $19.99, wipEout HD will be available for download only and includes the following awesomeness:

• Full HD Visuals
  • 5 Game Modes – Single Race, Tournament, Time Trial, Speed Lap and Zone Mode
  • Online play that supports up to 8 racers competing on a track at a time
  • 2-player split screen (horizontally and vertically) offline
  • 8 reversible tracks and 12 teams
  • Optional use of SIXAXIS motion controls to steer your ship
  • A great soundtrack remixed in Dolby 5.1 AND the option for custom playlists that allow you to race to whatever playlists you have on your HDD
  • And more, including Trophy support, which we’ll outline for you in a future post – so keep your eyes peeled.

ZoneHD__025 wohd_20080430_110847.jpg
That’s it for now from the wipEout HD camp. We’re looking forward to racing with you all online on Sept 25th!

186 Comments   1 Reply

+ Schitthammer on September 15th, 2008 at 5:57 am said:

Awesome. Just awesome.

+ IceCold on September 15th, 2008 at 5:59 am said:

Man reminds me of my old school playstation days!

+ Dr-MoHD on September 15th, 2008 at 6:01 am said:

how much the download size?

+ HazeDG13 on September 15th, 2008 at 6:03 am said:

This game looks AWESOME and it’s a definite purchase for me but why are so many developers going away from 2-player ONLINE split screen? That’s one thing that the PS3 has over Xbox since PSN is free and Live isn’t. A game like this would be GREAT in 2-player online split screen, especially on my 56″ TV.

+ KazeEternal on September 15th, 2008 at 6:06 am said:

Sweet!! The long wait is coming to an end!

+ Rlan on September 15th, 2008 at 6:09 am said:

Yet another call for Europe. We don’t like being second class citizens!

+ ibunkun on September 15th, 2008 at 6:19 am said:

And will there be a BluRayDisc version?

+ lifeRPGs on September 15th, 2008 at 6:20 am said:

Will it be only available on PSN or also on BD?

+ jbat17 on September 15th, 2008 at 6:21 am said:

$20 is a steal.

+ awheaten on September 15th, 2008 at 6:27 am said:

Question Daimion,

Will this game have background XMB music in it. I hope so. Getting tired of newly released games with no Background music. I also, hope Metal Gear solid 4 eventually get background XMB music as well.

+ a1ex on September 15th, 2008 at 6:33 am said:

When to NBA LIVE 09 or NBA 2K9 demo on PSN?

+ Onna76_NL on September 15th, 2008 at 6:39 am said:

Joepie die poepie! (some silly Dutch expression of joy :-D) Can’t wait to play the game next week _O_

Can people for “once” stop complaining around here, sheesh :-?

+ Tigerriot on September 15th, 2008 at 6:40 am said:

Great news, but what is the download size?

+ kspraydad on September 15th, 2008 at 6:44 am said:

Can I have a garage in my HOME space and park my racer in there?

…just dreaming.

Great to hear HD is dated….any word on the FULL WipEout game?

+ Onna76_NL on September 15th, 2008 at 6:45 am said:

Ow erm is the release in Europe at the same time? A Dutch website gave the same day, but the link was referring to the US release.

+ Ketchup on September 15th, 2008 at 6:47 am said:

@Jeff : indeed, we’ve had some news about WiepoutHD enough soon :p

Thanks :) I can’t wait for it. Do we’ll have Wipeout HD at the same date in Europe ?

+ ShapeGSX on September 15th, 2008 at 6:52 am said:

Is there going to be a Demo? I don’t buy downloadable games without a demo.

+ gnikeltrut on September 15th, 2008 at 6:52 am said:

What is the size of this download? We don’t all have 80GB+ HDDs!

+ kspraydad on September 15th, 2008 at 6:53 am said:

@67…

Play the Fatal Inertia demo and then make it 1000% faster, better, awesomer…that’s what WipEout is.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on September 15th, 2008 at 6:55 am said:

Hey, where’s the 4 player split-screen?

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on September 15th, 2008 at 6:56 am said:

@60 You really should read EVERYTHING before you post… He said there was IN-GAME XMB MUSIC! WOOT!

+ kspraydad on September 15th, 2008 at 7:07 am said:

@70…back on the N64 where it belongs?

+ Ghostm on September 15th, 2008 at 7:09 am said:

This is very good news! How big is the download for this game?

+ hijaker77 on September 15th, 2008 at 7:11 am said:

Alleluia!

Now there is seriously something fishy going on with EB games here in Australia. They want my 60gb for the 80gb plus 4 PS3 game and $200. Now the only advantage is the extra 20gb HDD, right? I see this more like downgrading as the new model (80gb) doesn’t have a PS2 backwards compatibility, only 2 usb ports and no memory card readers.

I really don’t see any benefit at all for getting the 80gb PS3 and on the other hand I don’t care, I have a 320gb HDD and I am sticking to my 60gb PS3…. even though PS3′s aren’t up to AT LEAST 360′s standard yet. On the other hand….. back to my 360 :)

+ hijaker77 on September 15th, 2008 at 7:14 am said:

when I meant by Standard I mean the features such as Playstation network and xbox live and the features within the systems. I DON’T mean the price is too pricey….

+ kspraydad on September 15th, 2008 at 7:16 am said:

@74/75…um, this post is about WipEout.

+ UnnDunn on September 15th, 2008 at 7:16 am said:

I’m seriously contemplating buying a PS3 for this game.

+ JBruno on September 15th, 2008 at 7:16 am said:

US$ 19.99 ONLY?

+ kspraydad on September 15th, 2008 at 7:20 am said:

BTW…all the Canadian’s (I’m one) b1tching about CDN PSN prices needing to be on par 6mos ago…how about some props to SONY for KEEPING the prices the same as the US now, even though our dollar is back down to $0.93?

+ Ghostm on September 15th, 2008 at 7:21 am said:

LOL, I’ve said this before over and over again. How come my PS3 screens doesn’t look like you guys? My PS3 is connected via HDMI cables to a full 1080p Sony HDTV. It never looks as good as the screens I always see on this blog. Is there a special connection secret that I’m not aware of? Please pass down the secret.

+ aiphanes on September 15th, 2008 at 7:25 am said:

Its only $19.99….people will by it…and there is nothing really comming out this month. This game will do fine.

+ thingg on September 15th, 2008 at 7:26 am said:

@76
yeah, you’d think the whiners would actually get the idea, but no….

OT: That’s awesome news. Definitely getting this one. Trophies and XMB music FTW!!!!! (does anyone remember all the morons saying the PS3 couldn’t do in-game XMB and then when Sony shut them up w/ 2.40 they said Sony couldn’t do XMB music because M$ had the patent for it. lol)

+ thingg on September 15th, 2008 at 7:27 am said:

@80
do you have RGB full range turned on?

+ Kenshin001 on September 15th, 2008 at 7:28 am said:

For all those wondering about the file size…

According to the reviewer at Eurogamer the size is just under 1Gb.

+ THATPSPGUY on September 15th, 2008 at 7:32 am said:

@ Half_life000111 I would definitely buy the cards at Blockbuster but alas I’m CANADIAN and sony seems to HATE US….. No psn card love for us but you Yanks and You Brits get to have them. Why the ____ can’t we have them? This I don’t understand, after all the North American Free Trade act has been signed for months and that was to make sure that things like this would flow smoothly between the three )countries involved( Canada, America & Mexico).

I would LOVE to spend all my left over and spare monies on the store, JUST LOVE TO. But I along with thousands of others are being DENIED that.

So remember that if you live in Canada you will not get any love from sony, heck I was really surprised to get parity in the store but that only took almost a year to happen too.

NOT FAIR GUYS NOT FAIR AT ALL!

+ Ghostm on September 15th, 2008 at 7:34 am said:

@83 thingg

Yes I do. It still doesn’t look nearly as clean and crisp as these images on here.

+ kspraydad on September 15th, 2008 at 7:44 am said:

@85

North American Free Trade act specifically EXCLUDES ‘cultural’ trade, movies/music/games all fall under this. And it was signed in 1994 not ‘months ago’. Nevertheless this has NOTHING to do with PSN cards and has to do with SONY wanting them to be charged up at the cashier instead of selling preloaded ones. Thus they have to negotiate with individual retailers to make this happen. A poor choice but not an anti-Canadian one.

I JUST pointed out that price parity IS in effect right now on the PSN even though our dollar is worth 93 cents. So, SONY loves Canada 7% MORE than the US now? SONY was the FIRST of the major console makers to bring parity to their hardware and the FIRST to bring it to their online offerings.

+ kristopher.w on September 15th, 2008 at 7:51 am said:

this is great news my friends.

its The Force Unleashed,Sept.15th (tomorrow!)
WipeoutHD on the 26th
Brother’s In Arms also on the 26th (from what i’ve heard)
Bioshock AND Little Big Planet later in October.

how can you not be excited about these new games coming to the PS3 library?

+ Ghostm on September 15th, 2008 at 7:58 am said:

off topic:

See, I told you guys Star Wars: The Force Unleashed would be scored between 6.5 to a 7.5.

Totally not worth my $60+tax
IGN: 7.3

+ EViD on September 15th, 2008 at 7:59 am said:

OMG! At long last, and just a bit more to get it. Thanks for the update. This is a day-one-purchase for me. Is it coming to the Euro Store at the same date?

+ Iceman46 on September 15th, 2008 at 8:09 am said:

Oh f*** yes, the news ive been waiting for this year, thanks Daimion.

However, like most europeans here i hope we dont have to wait another week to purchase this awesome game.

+ Netweb on September 15th, 2008 at 8:10 am said:

European Studio… release first on USA? LOL… change that… it’s all time the same crap…

I will not buy this game..
But i think it will be a sucessfull release on PS3

By the way.. SONY, and all studios.. don’t forget Europe.. we are your best zone for make money!

PS: And We need those PSN credit Cards…

+ DarkWolf on September 15th, 2008 at 8:10 am said:

September 25, eh? So what is that translated from Sony time, like Feb 2009?

+ Enigma777 on September 15th, 2008 at 8:20 am said:

I’m so happy at the price! Its a day 1 purchase for me!!!!!

+ holdenmcgroin on September 15th, 2008 at 8:23 am said:

Too expensive. For $20 I can get a full game used. I like Wipeout but there’s no way I get enough replay value out of 8 tracks.

+ tommycronin on September 15th, 2008 at 8:31 am said:

I wonder how big the file size is

+ zeke2040 on September 15th, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

finally shesh! and plus trophy’s yahoo.. thanks peep for the hard work..

+ Squall2600 on September 15th, 2008 at 8:54 am said:

better get the credit card ready

+ Michaelangelo on September 15th, 2008 at 8:56 am said:

Does this include XMB Trophies or in-game Trophies?

+ verybadbeetle on September 15th, 2008 at 8:57 am said:

The price seems way too low. You should have charged more. I would have easily paid 35-40 for it. I hope that you can turn a profit so we will see more Wipeout games in the future.