Tearaway Unfolded

Sep 16

SIREN: Blood Curse Tips Straight From the Producer

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar Posted by Kumi Yuasa on Sep 16, 2008 // Producer, SCEA

Hey PlayStation bloggers! I hope you are enjoying the authentic Japanese horror of SIREN: Blood Curse. It is the first survival horror game available on the PS3, and is available exclusively on PLAYSTATION Network.

By now, I’m guessing some of you must have beaten the game already. If you have, that’s great! If you haven’t beat it yet, you’ve come to the right place! I have something for those who might be stuck or are having trouble getting through certain parts you might find helpful in getting past those tricky “Shibito” (zombie-like undead people). And if you haven’t tried the game yet, there’s a great demo of it on PSN as well.

If you’re not careful and a Shibito spots you, they normally come after you and try desperately to kill you. But have you ever come across a Shibito that runs away from you in the game? You may have thought it was strange, or felt relieved that you didn’t have to fight it. But there is a reason some of the Shibito in the game run away from you. This type of Shibito is called a Brain Shibito, and if you take it out, the other Shibito in the area will also be knocked out too. Armed with this knowledge, you can play strategically by chasing down the Brain Shibito in any given area and taking it out in order to safely proceed.

Another tip to help you survive in the game is to use the sight jack system to your advantage. You can lock on to a specific view from a Shibito or friend with the square button and continue moving around while monitoring that view. You can also show the viewpoints of multiple Shibito at once, and assign buttons to bring up specific Shibito at will. Assign the views to the X, O, or Triangle buttons by holding the button for a few seconds until the screen flashes. There are many more useful control tips for sight jacking that can be found in the in-game manual, accessible from the main menu of the game. Knowing how to use this feature effectively can make a big difference.

Another very interesting feature of the game is the Archive system. When you’re playing, you may notice pop-up messages saying you’ve unlocked items in the archive. At any time during the game you can view the archive items pertaining the chapter you are currently in. However if you view the archive from the main menu, you can view all of the archive items you’ve collected so far. The archive holds information on all of the weapons you’ve picked up so far, as well as special documents and items you’ve earned or found.

Some of these documents or items are awarded by playing through the stages normally. However, some are a little tougher to come by, meaning you will have to either find them or complete a certain series of actions. Some may even be dependent on actions taken in multiple episodes. Examining the items in the archive will give you a better understanding of the story and the events in the game, giving you a fuller picture of the truth behind Hanuda village and the characters wrapped up in the curse.

I know the game is pretty tough at times, but hopefully these tips will make it a little easier to beat, not to mention understand the deep storyline and plot twists the game has to offer. If you have any other tips or strategies for the game, I’d love to hear them, and I’m sure your fellow blog readers would too!

PAGE 1 2

+ Koroshiya on September 16th, 2008 at 11:48 am said:

I’m buying this game after I finish a few others in my backlog. As you can see by my avatar, I am too busy having fun with Yakuza 2 right now. I’ll buy this one later this year because it looks like a great game. Kumi Yuasa, thanks for stopping by and giving some tips and reminding me that I still need to buy the game.

Also, note to Sony: Bring other games over from Japan and at least release them on PSN similar to how you did with Siren if you aren’t planning on releasing them here on BluRay. I would love to play Afrika and a few others. At least give them a chance on PSN for those of us who want some of the more niche titles.

+ XxBigP123xX on September 16th, 2008 at 11:57 am said:

I bought episodes 1-8, watched 9-12 to see if they where worth purchasing.

They weren’t.

+ cmargary on September 16th, 2008 at 12:10 pm said:

This game it’s really great… and I’m the kind of person that think that every horror games isn’t good enough to scare but this yes, not scaring like hell but more than many horror games. The only one that scare me for moments was the first Fatal Frame but was only in the beginning.

Just want this game to have trophies…

+ OrganicShadow on September 16th, 2008 at 12:11 pm said:

Bought them all and started Ep 1 last night. Was extremely frustrated that I couldn’t figure out where to go at the very beginning. Just kept dying. Gamefaqs told me where I need to go, but I haven’t tried yet. The darkness of the game is awesome and all, but sometimes it damages the intuitiveness of the gameplay.

Either way I loved the demo and had no problem. I will stick with it and get through them all eventually. :)

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on September 16th, 2008 at 2:27 pm said:

Try pressing SELECT during game play.

This will not only pause the game, but will also bring up a map + a reminder of your objectives etc.

These features should help you navigate your game play.

+ Kenshin001 on September 16th, 2008 at 12:16 pm said:

That needs to be reiterated. Afrika, Aquanauts Holiday, Shikitei should have all been translated in English simultaneously as development progressed and released on PSN globally. I hope Japan Studio does this in future instead of continuing to segregate gamers. Simultaneous Japanese/English release with other languages to follow if need be. If Sony are worried about reception/sales just release the games direct to PSN. That is what it is there for.

+ chip14 on September 16th, 2008 at 12:30 pm said:

loved the demo
i would buy it but 14 gigs are too much and theres no replay value
so a disc for 39.99 would be a great deal

+ nvmisfit on September 16th, 2008 at 12:45 pm said:

Go to http://www.play-asia.com and order the region free disc of Siren there.

+ EvoAnubis on September 16th, 2008 at 1:07 pm said:

14GB? What? Try 9040MB. There’s a subtle difference.

What idiot said 14GB?

+ EvoAnubis on September 16th, 2008 at 1:08 pm said:

I meant 9070MB. No edit button sucks!

+ flexito on September 16th, 2008 at 1:20 pm said:

I usually only post on here when I have something to complain about but I am so impresses by this game that I had to make an exception.

I played some if it over the weekend with my girlfriend and we’re hooked. The part with the little girl in the hospital almost made her cry. All you could here from her was “OMG ITS COMING RUN RUN”

I can’t really look at the sight jack screen and control the character at the same time. Luckily my GF was there to keep track of the shiboto’s movement on the sight jack while I concentrated on getting the hell out of there. I guess this team work part is one of the reasons we love the game so much.

The controls and camera do get frustrating at times though. If you get stuck in a bind and try to fight more than 1 of those things at a time there’s really no way to aim so you’ll end up just swinging away wildly hoping you hit something. And if you try to run you’re basically running blind because the camera is all over the place. Not sure if any of this was done on purpose but it kind of makes the game even scarier because you don’t know what the F’ is going on most of the time.

+ dan1066 on September 16th, 2008 at 1:21 pm said:

why dont ye guys patch in trophy support for us?

+ GGCAN on September 16th, 2008 at 1:23 pm said:

@3 (TheHater)…you’re not the only one that got scared by this game. I totally agree with you on this one.

Actually, no worries as I have many others that are keeping me really busy right now.

PAGE 1 2