PS4-The Order

PLAYSTATION Store Video Content Update

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Sep 19, 2008 // Director, PlayStation Store

Hi again! The weekend’s here – time for your weekly update of new movie & TV shows on the PLAYSTATION Store.

This week we’ve added new video content from the following television series:

• Burn Notice, Season 2
  • Crime 360, Season 1
  • Deadliest Catch, Season 3
  • Married with Children, Season 6
  • Miami Ink, Season 5
  • Most Shocking, Season 1
  • Robot Chicken, Season 3

We’ve also added the following feature films to the Store:

• Blue Collar Comedy Tour
  • Bram Stoker’s Dracula
  • Dragon Wars
  • Empire Records
  • Ghost World
  • The Love Guru
  • Made of Honor
  • My Girl
  • Ocean’s Eleven (Remake)
  • Nim’s Island
  • Perfect Stranger
  • Pumpkinhead
  • Shaft’s Big Score
  • Speed Racer
  • Street Kings
  • Tsotsi
  • Water
  • What Happens in Vegas
  • What Happens in Vegas (Extended)

And, finally, here are our top 20 movie and top 20 TV downloads for the week:

top 20 movie DL 9/19

top 20 TV DL 9/19

Have a great weekend!

47 Comments

+ Jeigh on September 19th, 2008 at 3:02 pm said:

Forbidden Kingdom? Why have I never heard of this, and yet it’s at the top of the best sellers…? Man, I must be out of it. Thanks for the update! :D

Have a good weekend!

+ Masterofallz on September 19th, 2008 at 3:02 pm said:

Woo! Thanks!

+ AranhaHunter on September 19th, 2008 at 3:03 pm said:

FAIL update. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia new season just started this week. I wanted to have all episodes and was gonna get it from PSN because I like Sony more than Apple, but I have no option but to go to itunes….

+ saintfighteraqua on September 19th, 2008 at 3:06 pm said:

No new universe or anime?
Pumpkin head is still too scary.

How about Return to Oz, Labyrinth, and that sort of thing?

+ theownerz on September 19th, 2008 at 3:10 pm said:

thanks for this guys

+ SDkngsht on September 19th, 2008 at 3:13 pm said:

can you guys tell us who actually downloaded Harold & Kumar so i can delete them from my friends list. :|

lol.

just picked up star wars the force unleashed. i’ll check out street kings after that. heard it was pretty good.

+ Jeigh on September 19th, 2008 at 3:14 pm said:

@3 AranhaHunter

I don’t think that’s a very fair assessment. Just because it didn’t have what you wanted, doesn’t mean it automatically fails. There’s a lot of other good stuff there. Robot Chicken Season 3 is certainly a nice addition.

+ SDkngsht on September 19th, 2008 at 3:14 pm said:

SIDENOTE:

can we get X’amd episodes for download to SAVE TO THE HARD DRIVE? i really want to see it but refuse to pay that much to rent it for one viewing. we want to have it on our HDD. what’s the problem?

+ AranhaHunter on September 19th, 2008 at 3:15 pm said:

@7 Jeigh

Not having one of the most popular shows on TV the week the new season starts is a major FAIL.

+ AwRy108 on September 19th, 2008 at 3:15 pm said:

Man, I wanna download stuff from the video store SO BAD; but there’s no way I’m doing it until we have the option to re-download content that we delete from our PS3 HDD’s.

+ SDkngsht on September 19th, 2008 at 3:17 pm said:

@1

Forbidden Kingdom is a good movie. kind of corny but think of it as a Princess Bride meets The Never Ending Story meets kung fu flick (Jet Li’s Fearless or Hero or Jackie Chan’s Drunken Monkey).

+ FritoZ on September 19th, 2008 at 3:25 pm said:

so any word yet on a new strategy for rental periods?

i have yet to rent any since the limits are preposterous…

i think if you rent it, you should get it for 5-7 days, and you can watch it as many times as you want in that time period…

is that so crazy?

+ FritoZ on September 19th, 2008 at 3:28 pm said:

@people wondering about forbidden kingsom-

jackie chan and jet li are great! i saw this in the the theaters when this cam out!

but that @#$%! white kid that is the “hero” is such a tool, and horrible pacing/edits lead to some awkward moments while he is “training”..they just rushed it!

i wish they had made the movie with just jet li and jackie chan, and forget that dumb kid..

my 2 cents

+ jayyy91 on September 19th, 2008 at 3:28 pm said:

Still waiting for this awesome service to come to Canada…..

+ BZKlint on September 19th, 2008 at 4:24 pm said:

The Forbidden Kingdom sucks :(

+ Frazz on September 19th, 2008 at 4:25 pm said:

Canada please

+ BZKlint on September 19th, 2008 at 4:25 pm said:

Oops, nevermind.
I was thinking of a different movie ;)

+ enrichovega on September 19th, 2008 at 4:30 pm said:

I have a request…

Can you PLEASE,PLEEEASE,PUH-LEEEZE add the Transformers cartoon series to the video store? I’d be willing to bet it’d get ate up faster than Gabe Newell downs hotcakes & hams at a breakfast buffet! And when say Transformers I don’t mean that Armada/Beast Wars crap! I’m talkin about the 1983 O.G. series. Also, give us the option of a discounted entire season dload vs. individual episodes.

BTW…would also love to see G.I. Joe, Thundercats, and Star Blazers the series in the 70′s known in Japan as Space Battleship Yamato.

+ bp9801 on September 19th, 2008 at 4:30 pm said:

I’m waiting for more sci fi shows, like Ghosthunters, Destination Truth, Monster Quest, or even Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis. Still a good update though.. I need to get my external hard drive clear so I can put movies on it.

+ snobrder218 on September 19th, 2008 at 4:34 pm said:

WHERE IS THE FUTURAMA PROMISED LIKE 3 WEEKS AGO?!?!?!?! ugh… I need answers.

+ S-E-G on September 19th, 2008 at 4:36 pm said:

being Canadian i guess i’ll be going to bluckbuster, getting cold out there i wish i didn’t have to get off my butt to rent my damn movies
come on sony, deliver!!

+ nmc75 on September 19th, 2008 at 5:03 pm said:

@19

Can you copy/move PS Store bought movies to an external HDD? I tried to do that but it wouldn’t allow me. I’m not willing to buy more movies until this is resolved, it’s more important that I have my 60gb HDD for games than movies.

+ kspraydad on September 19th, 2008 at 6:14 pm said:

@22

Not only can you NOT do that but if you mistakenly erase your purchase or send you PS3 in for a fix (and get a different one back) ALL your movie purchases POOF!

Correct me if I’m wrong Grace please but that is why you’ll not EVER get a purchase from me until the movies are tied to my PSN id and the license becomes transferable to another machine.

+ kspraydad on September 19th, 2008 at 6:14 pm said:

@21

Zip.ca would love to hear from you.

+ manual alphabet on September 19th, 2008 at 6:44 pm said:

Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford please.

+ MeanMrMustard on September 19th, 2008 at 7:15 pm said:

Please, please add the rest of the Metalocalypse season two episodes. You guys started out with episodes 1 thru 13, then added episode 15. Please add episode 14 and the others. I will buy them all!

+ ruffslaya on September 19th, 2008 at 9:05 pm said:

When will the PSN video service for Canadian residents start???? I really don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on another marketplace for videos since I also happen to have this other console and it was quick enought to start video service for their Canadian customers. Please don’t make me buy from them again!!!! Please give an estimate at least of when we can expect it to arrive!!! PSN id: ruffslaya

+ kspraydad on September 19th, 2008 at 9:16 pm said:

@27

US XBOX MARKETPLACE LAUNCH
Nov 22 2006

CDN XBOX MARKETPLACE LAUNCH
Dec 11 2007

Over 1 year between launches…you call that quick?
*******************************************

US PSN VIDEO STORE LAUNCH
Jul 15 2008

+ bp9801 on September 19th, 2008 at 10:04 pm said:

@ 22

I meant, the videos and movies on my PS3 that I transfered over from the Memory Sticks.

@ 23

Uh, I had about 100 trailers on my PS3, I saved them to an external HDD, sent in my PS3, got a new one back, and all my trailers were still there. So maybe get your facts in order?

+ Natiej85 on September 19th, 2008 at 10:14 pm said:

You know what this Video section is bad ass to start to say the least, but where are the additional Networks and Movie studios. I’m wanting Comedy Central and for the love of god more anime. Soul Eater, Guyver, Violence Jack, Red Hawk, I mean lets go back and get the goods real quick while were gettin all the new stuff. Do get me wrong we are headed in the right direction as far as anime goes. We got Scooby Doo, so go back and get some older anime.

+ Tatsujin on September 19th, 2008 at 10:42 pm said:

Hey man, just to let you guys know at SCEA. Anime is a huge thing in the US. So if you bring more exclusive stuff or just Anime series and even movies from 2006 and beyond you’ll get a smash hit! I’m one of those little punks that will do whatever I can to get my hands on the latest ~

+ BlueViper on September 20th, 2008 at 2:34 am said:

You cant get great updates all the time. But you should consider adding South Park and the shield!

+ BigOLBallz on September 20th, 2008 at 5:59 am said:

I was wondering if Sony could release some of those hard to get Anime movies not these little shows that are more like soap operas I mean some serious head bustin action animes , this would be much appreciated , and the Fracture demo is off the hook, anywayz good release

+ Squamden on September 20th, 2008 at 11:31 am said:

I really want to see Memento, but I don’t want to buy it. Can you please make it a rental?

+ nmc75 on September 20th, 2008 at 12:20 pm said:

@29 re: getting facts in order…have you actually bought a movie off the PS Video Store and tried to copy it to an external HDD? You will find you cannot do it, so please don’t accuse those of us who have done so that we don’t have our facts in order if you haven’t. This is a legitimate request that we are asking Sony, that those of us who have bought a movie be allowed to transfer or save it to an external HDD. My 60gb is woefully inadequate for the store bought movies + games. It would make business sense for their DRM folks to make it so that you have the option to store it on a larger external HDD.. they should make it so that the digital rights are stored on the PS3 console that downloaded it and the video playable only on that PS3, which I am OK with.

+ kspraydad on September 20th, 2008 at 2:36 pm said:

@29

Before calling me out, LEARN TO READ. We are discussing BOUGHT video NOT trailers.

Waiting for you to man up.

*******************************************

Waiting for GRACE to address the issue…I will not, and nor should ANYONE, until archiving or re-downloading of paid movie content is possible.

@35 I needs to be tied to your PSN so you can re download to the same machine (currently you cannot redownload your purchased content even to the same machine/same psn). If you machine/hdd have to change the MUST implement an EASY way to have the licence transfered.

I am not a pirate nor do I wish to be. I honestly wish to give SONY my business however the way this is handled right now puts NO safety net in place for the legitimate consumer concerns of HDD failure or machine failure.

Grace?

+ AranhaHunter on September 20th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

Can anyone tell me how the tv show and movie rental DRM compares to XBL and itunes DRM? Thanks

+ bp9801 on September 20th, 2008 at 7:17 pm said:

@ 36 and 35

You guys DO know you can swap out the INTERNAL HDD for say, a 250 GB? You are NOT tied to the 60GB it comes with. There are PLENTY of AFFORDABLE options for a 2.5″ HDD and in fact, the How To Steps were posted on this very blog. In fact, a 320 GB 2.5″ HDD can be bought for 100 bucks. So um, instead of not giving Sony your business… how about upgrading your machine? Sony supports it and even encourages you to do so.

+ kspraydad on September 20th, 2008 at 8:09 pm said:

@38…

Yes…but that isn’t what the discussion is about…at least what I raised.

Say I put even a 500GB drive in there and I can’t back up my purchased videos and the drive needs to be reformatted even due to a firmware issue (this is common for the PS3)…Your purchased videos are gone and you can’t download them again. THAT is the issue. The issue isn’t space, the issue is being able to KEEP the items you bought if there is an issue with your PS3 and/or HDD.

PS I do have a 320GB.

+ bp9801 on September 20th, 2008 at 9:02 pm said:

@ 39

Whatever, I’m done arguing with you guys. I’ll be doing something meaningful, like getting my bike license at 100% in Burnout haha.

Sony is probably more than aware of us talking about getting our movies to be able to save to externals. If you’re that concerned about losing your movies, buy the disc instead of downloading it?

+ kspraydad on September 21st, 2008 at 5:04 am said:

@40 Generally an argument requires that both sides know what the argument is about…I don’t think you reached that stage.

+ nmc75 on September 21st, 2008 at 6:39 pm said:

@39, @41

I thought about it some and I guess what Sony’s doing is not unlike what other companies do for downloadable music.. offer the download and if you lose it due to some unforeseen incident like HDD failure, you’re screwed. Thing is, with movies bearing such a higher cost than single track songs, in my opinion, it’d be a more prudent and incentivizing action to enable consumers of downloadable movies to be able to redownload (with DRM of course). This is all evolving as no single standard of portability w/DRM exists yet for movies.. not even music as far as I somewhat know. The companies should figure it out soon, I don’t know how much Joe Q. Public would want to embrace digital downloads with these kinds of issues we’ve brought up this weekend alone.

+ mdude04 on September 21st, 2008 at 7:10 pm said:

More “Just Shoot Me”; please!

+ DJTripleRRR on September 22nd, 2008 at 10:17 am said:

Glad to see Tsotsi being released on the Playstation network… Makes me proud to be SA amongst the many things that do and don’t!

+ enrichovega on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:35 pm said:

@mdude04

BANG!!!

“sorry I couldn’t resist”.

+ bp9801 on September 22nd, 2008 at 11:34 pm said:

@ 40

Well, excuse me for trying to get you off your high horse. Remind me to find you online, if you actually use your PS3.

+ OuroborosChoked on September 24th, 2008 at 4:47 pm said:

Question about Burn Notice:

Why would I pay for that when I can watch it legally for free on USA’s website?

Yeah, just askin’…