PS4 - Transistor

Go Hands-on with Valkyria Chronicles this week!

Christopher Kaminski's Avatar + Posted by Christopher Kaminski on Sep 22, 2008 // Associate Producer, Sega of America

Jeff invited me to do a little guest blog post to let you know about the upcoming Valkyria Chronicles pre-release event later this week. The game is looking great (see the trailer below so you know what I’m talking about), and I’m really excited about this event because it’s such a special treat.

You might be wondering, what makes this event so special. Glad you asked! There are a few things:

Play the demo! We’re giving all the attendees the ability to play the super-exclusive pre-release demo of the game. It comes out next month, but you can be the first on your block to give it a whirl!

But wait, there’s more!

Raffle! Do you like stuff? I know I like stuff and I’m guessing you do too. Fortunately for you, we’re giving stuff away! We’ve got a super secret raffle going with exclusive prizes we had made just for this event.

Special Guest! The Japanese producer, Nonaka-san from Sega Studios Japan, will be attending and signing autographs. We’re really excited to have him come out to visit and meet you guys.

More Special Guest! I even hear rumors that someone will be all dolled up in an Alicia costume (no, not me).

You might want to know where you should go to experience all this fabulous stuff. Wonder no more:

9/26 (Fri) 5:00-9:00PM
    PlayStation Store at the Metreon
    101 4th St, San Francisco, CA

Now for those of you who (unfortunately) won’t be able to attend – here’s how you can participate: Ask your Valkyria Chronicles questions for Nonaka-san (the producer, remember?), and he’ll answer them in a future blog post. Just put them in the comments area below, and we’ll make sure he sees them when he gets in from Japan.

Hope to see you there!

81 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ JordanBlack68 on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:05 pm said:

Cool, looks good thanks

+ ftwrthtx on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:05 pm said:

I’m going to try to make this event.

Thanks for the heads up!

+ Jeigh on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:07 pm said:

I’m afraid I’m nowhere near close enough to attend the event, but I’m definitely looking forward to this game and the demo next month! :D

This is going to be one helluva holiday season. Year of the PS3, indeed.

+ X1rtam on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:12 pm said:

Nope, I’ve got classes and am in Southern California…But maybe I will think of some questions later. For now, back to java! :D

+ Scodo_Thope on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:13 pm said:

Dallas is so far for SF!

:P

+ reinheart on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:14 pm said:

Game looking great?… it’s already been out in Japan for a while so most that knows about this game already knows it’s a great game… only thing that needed to be done for the US was translating and voicing…

Anyways for JP one there is no trophy support for all you guys going to cry about trophy… get over it! and there was two add-on content for extra-hard mode and side story mission which I wasn’t able to try it out yet but looks cool.

As for the game itself, if you like strategy and new type with action this is a must buy. Graphics is really good too.

Don’t know if they fixed some problems but you can’t cancel your action once you move like some strategy games lets you, so you really need to think before you move. Personally I think its good they kept it that way, would be cheat if you can cancel a move you made by mistake, and there is no way to cancel in real life situation so (^_^) hard but fun.

I’m stuck on leveling up… and not really the type that keeps on leveling up…

I won’t say what happens in the game… but I recommend this game.

+ greeble on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:14 pm said:

With all the huge releases and must have games being released in the next couple of months I’d really prefer a demo sooner as opposed to later to see if I should budget for this game but oh well.

As for the producer ask him if there are any plans for the usual stuff such as DLC expansion and trophies.

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:22 pm said:

I want to know if this game is incorporating the new PS3 features like in-game music and throphies??

Looks like a great unique game… But I want to play a demo…

+ reinheart on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:25 pm said:

@8

… this game’s music is good as it is, doesn’t need in game music function for this type of game IMO…

and already answered your trophy question… go read before you post…

+ TheInfectedBy590 on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:30 pm said:

Man, I cannot wait for this game!!! :(

+ lonewolf1994 on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:35 pm said:

em does this this game have any online play? (soz for the n00b question lol)

+ PsychoEddie on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:40 pm said:

Off Topic. Deletable.

When will the excessive use of japanimation in video games ever end? I know the kiddies like them and that I’m in the minority, but holy heck in a pink hand-basket, I hate this kind of graphics.

+ amante on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:41 pm said:

Hooray for living on the east coast! :(

I’m still on the fence about this game but I feel like it’s the type of game you really oughta play before making any judgment about.

It’ll be interesting to see what comes out of this event though

+ senjutsu_dav on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:42 pm said:

I don’t live around there at all…

+ Gorvi on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:43 pm said:

Any clue on when we can expect the demo next month on the PSN?

+ amante on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:49 pm said:

@12 PsychoEddie

You think it’s excessive? I might be out of but I don’t there are an excessive number of games using this art style.

I think anytime a game like this comes out it’s an interesting take on the standard video graphics. The implementation of the comic-book like sound effects is great too. I haven’t seen anything like that since XIII.

To each their own, but I hate to tell you that I don’t think it will EVER end. Sorry to kill your hopes of a japanime-less future.

+ Morphine16 on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:52 pm said:

Geez, nothing happens in NYC anymore? :(
One of the more important cities economically speaking and we get shafted when it comes to video games. Sad. Good luck to every1 that can go to this event, take pictures :p

+ Morphine16 on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:54 pm said:

Forgot one question for Nonaka-san, can you please ask him if there is any plans for a patch for trophy support in the future?

+ Voozi on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:54 pm said:

Wish I could go! In Jersey though lol

Be sure to take pics of Jeff in that Alecia costume for us! I kid I kid…

+ Captain Fury on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:56 pm said:

cant wait for this!

question for Nonaka-san…

why did the team choose the watercolor painting art style for this game?

+ Ryanpayne on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:57 pm said:

HEY PLEASE IN THE NEXT FIRMWARE UPDATE CAN YOU INCLUDE SCREEN CAPTURING EVERYONE WANTS IT

+ Mana Knight on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:58 pm said:

I’m definitely excited for this. One of my most wanted PS3 games all year. :D

+ Protopet on September 22nd, 2008 at 12:58 pm said:

What about the east coast(Tri-state cough cough) Sony?!

+ ajefferism on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:05 pm said:

Question for producer:

What games or other materials would you say were inspiration for this game?

+ TheInfectedBy590 on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:07 pm said:

@12
Maybe they’ll stop by the time you graduate from high school, but I hope not, because I for one love this art style.

+ LokeSTL on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:09 pm said:

@12 PsychoEddie

I totally agree….sick of anime, water color, and especially cell shading. I hope that eventually we get some high grade graphics to go with our new gen RPG’s.

+ superbone547 on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:13 pm said:

I’m really looking forward to this game. The art direction is really cool, but I don’t like the comic book-style sound effects. Hopefully there’s a way to turn that off, or at least have that be in Japanese. Either way, I’m definitely getting this game.

+ big_king_kill on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:21 pm said:

Game looks great! Cant wait to get my hands on it.

+ Ajora on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:23 pm said:

~What are your plans for the future of Valkyria Chronicles?
~Will Valkyria Chronicles become a franchise?
~Will it have sequels?
~What inspired you to put Vyse and Aika in Valkyria Chronicles?
~Any future Downloadable Content?
I would love nothing more than to see more games like this…

As a Skies of Arcadia fan I just want to thank you for bringing this game to this world and to North America. It made my life that much better.
Of all the games coming out this fall I anticipate Valkyria Chronicles the most!

Thanks.

+ erico316 on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:27 pm said:

this is a game that i want .its not all about graphics on ps3 and its good to know that at least 2 third party company know this.the game look great by the way and hopefully this will stay exclusive.good to see sega making a come back.i have a few questions.
1.will there be a demo release on the psn?
2.any dlc?
3.any preorder bonuses?
4.how long is this rpg suppose to last?

if you reply to my question thanks in advance.

+ GGCAN on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:29 pm said:

Thanks Christopher..

Will definately have to try out the demo.

+ Enigma777 on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:42 pm said:

God, I want that game!!!!!!!!

+ reinheart on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:49 pm said:

@12 and @26
Try the demo first, this one is bit different and SEGA should put how they made this game out for some people, I think the development notes they made on Japanese game magazine was awesome.

Sure this one is Japanese animation looking but was first made towards Japanese audience/players who are surrounded by Anime/Manga culture, something thats starting to be big in the U.S.

But this type of art/graphics should be considered as another way a game can be developed, . Different devs have different way to express their skills/arts this is one of them.

+ Lunix on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:52 pm said:

Looks great :)

Question for Nonaka-san please.

Will the game see the light of day over in the UK etc?

Thanks! :)

+ outkast32 on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:54 pm said:

AWW MAN. can u guys do something in ohio?? i always miss out on this stuff.

+ Ajora on September 22nd, 2008 at 1:58 pm said:

@ 35 outkast32

LOL! Me too man Ohio here XD

+ saintfighteraqua on September 22nd, 2008 at 2:04 pm said:

It looks beautiful, and I love the graphic style.
I really wish for more JRPG’s though.

+ Zaku on September 22nd, 2008 at 2:04 pm said:

Aww :( And here I was reading the post thinking we were getting a PSN demo :( Could you’ll make that happen?

+ a237426 on September 22nd, 2008 at 2:09 pm said:

I have a question that I would really like answered by Ryutaro Nonaka-San.

In a lot of the gameplay videos I’ve seen, there is a washed out white border surrounding the action. In some pictures or videos, this border is relatively trivial and looks good. In others it’s completely missing, most notably in any of the top down strategy screens.

However, in other areas this white border can be completely over-bearing. Enough to even obscure the action and be extremely distracting.

In short, could you please give an overview of how this white border works?
Will there be an option to turn it off completely if we find it’s aesthetic to be less than desirable?

Thank you very much! :)

+ WHAT on September 22nd, 2008 at 2:16 pm said:

If Papa Smurf is equal to Gizmo.

Than Valkyria Chronicles would be equal to ______?

+ Arda82 on September 22nd, 2008 at 2:16 pm said:

I am a hardcore PS3 player… But this game will never be on my purchase list.. The gameplay and story might be great but for me the graphics are killing it.. The last time i played a game with these graphics was XIII and no sir, i will never go back to that kind of novel graphics on a game again.

+ Ajora on September 22nd, 2008 at 2:17 pm said:

Some more questions.

-Any plans for Collectors Edition?

-Will there be an English version of the Official website? Unfortunately I can’t read/speak Japanese :(

-Will there be a retail version of the game Soundtrack?

Thanks.

+ skynidas on September 22nd, 2008 at 2:18 pm said:

There’s trophy support for this beautiful game?

+ Stephanie1 on September 22nd, 2008 at 2:34 pm said:

Why don’t they just add English subs to the game and release it as it is?

It would come out alot sooner and everyone would be much happier by getting thier hands on it asap. I personaly think that vocal translation in most games are borderline embaressing anyhow, especially from Japanese to english.

But then if someone really wanted the voice overs the developers could release it as DLC with trophies included and make everyone happy.

Kinda long question but I was just wondering, why go through all the fuss when there’s and easy way to it?

+ Twinturbo120 on September 22nd, 2008 at 2:43 pm said:

how come everything is in cali =/ go to miami sony!!!!

+ ArmedOne78 on September 22nd, 2008 at 3:03 pm said:

I think I already played this demo several months ago. Downloaded it from the JP PS Store…or maybe that was my twin in a parallel universe, who knows.

+ NEJI64 on September 22nd, 2008 at 3:03 pm said:

@12 and @26 i total disagree yall say its to much i say its not enough. because of people like yall is the reason why most of the games thats made in Japan never come to N.A. i think its cool and it would be cool to see a AAA game made like that

+ Ghostm on September 22nd, 2008 at 3:26 pm said:

Tactical RPGs are not really my thing. So it’s not a buy for me. It’s nice to see others happy and excited about a new PS3 title. Have fun and enjoy guys!!!

+ AranhaHunter on September 22nd, 2008 at 3:26 pm said:

Release the demo on PSN.

+ Ghostm on September 22nd, 2008 at 3:27 pm said:

Is this Tactical RPG helping the PS3 sales in Asia?

PAGE 1 2