LittleBigPlanet 3

The Punisher: No Mercy Coming Exclusively to PSN

Zsolt Kigyossy's Avatar + Posted by Zsolt Kigyossy on Sep 23, 2008 // Managing Director, Zen Studios

In case you haven’t already figured it out, there is a new Punisher game coming! We here at Zen Studios are super excited to announce that we’re bringing Marvel’s storied franchise The Punisher to PLAYSTATION Network. Just a quick FYI – EVERYONE here at Zen Studios is a massive Marvel True Believer, so the entire team is on fire for this project.

Punisher Logo

We’re calling the game The Punisher: No Mercy because that’s exactly what it is – merciless. For the first time on consoles, you’ll see the Marvel Universe through a first-person perspective in some intense arena-based multiplayer action. Also, the game is being built from the ground up with some serious tech – yes, we are using the Unreal Engine 3 (the ultimate FPS engine) for this exclusive PSN release. Our main focus is to create an awesome online multiplayer experience with the style and grit from the Punisher’s world, complete with characters like Jigsaw, Bushwacker, Barracuda and even Silver Sable (been reading War Journal lately?…).

What does this mean for you gamers? You better get ready to kick some serious #$% with the first ever first-person shooter developed exclusively for PSN. Stay tuned for more details as they become available at www.punishernomercy.com. Because of the time difference here in Budapest, all of you who are craving more info can ask your questions in the comments area below, and I’ll have answers for you in another post soon.

102 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ JordanBlack68 on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:02 am said:

Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome :D

+ MK24ever on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:05 am said:

Nice one, Marvel and Sony apparently made some sort of exclusives deals.

Curious to see the first footage.

+ kleanx on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:07 am said:

a punisher multiplayer FPS ? a new psn game coming out of the blue? even if I’m not a massive Marvel Fan, I used to like the old school beat them’all arcade punisher game (also on the genesis).

I wish the Zen Studio all the success possible for the game and I’m lad SONY takes PSN so seriously

+ Silurus on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:08 am said:

Sweet. Sounds very promising.

+ BabeBro on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:09 am said:

Marvel + Sony = Heaven!! Thank you so much for this! The Punisher is sick!

+ xicaninho on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:11 am said:

I love it

+ Allingby on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:11 am said:

Unreal engine 3? Can’t wait:P so what can we expect graphically? Our top quality FPS? or the stuff we usually see on PSN? Ratchet/GT5P graphics or what kind of production can we wait for? (I know it uses unreal but detail?)

Oh and lastly… when?:P

+ Morphine16 on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:16 am said:

Thanks for the news Zsolt

+ Kenshin001 on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:26 am said:

Nice. Any idea of when this is due out? Are we talking soonish or late 2009?

+ StalkingSilence on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:28 am said:

How do you pronounce “Zsolt Kigyossy”?
Awesome name.

+ Wildarmsjecht on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:36 am said:

Sweeeeeet. Why the unreal engine though? I know it’s the most common middleware and what have you, but do you think it can really bring out what you have in mind for this game visually and technically? Looking forward to more info though.

+ iExile on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:38 am said:

Wow the PlayStation Network is on a roll! Can’t wait to see it.

+ GGCAN on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:40 am said:

Thanks Zsolt, will definately have to check this out.

+ BigRon3400 on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:43 am said:

Yes! Sounds frickin awesome.

+ Stoffinator on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:44 am said:

Sounds interesting, just to bad you are using the Unreal engine. Probably the worst engine this generation. Mostly on the PS3. :-[

+ Madman on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:45 am said:

No trophies, no buy.

+ lifeRPGs on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:50 am said:

Caught me be surprise, i admit.
Let’s wait and see, this sounds promising.

+ XxBigP123xX on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:50 am said:

Release date?

+ nick2409 on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:52 am said:

@16 *lol ridiculous

+ lifeRPGs on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:55 am said:

So basically, it’s just like TF2, an online-only game? If that truly is the case, then my hype-meter just rose 150% !

Also i’d like some infos on the different classes that will be available.

+ hijaker77 on September 23rd, 2008 at 6:00 am said:

Very interesting….. I have nothing to say because not enough details.. words dont tell me nothing :P

Anyway I’m going to keep a close eye on this one ;)

Wow, now we are starting to see exclusives on PS3!

+ Fersis on September 23rd, 2008 at 6:14 am said:

Im not a guy who likes gore or violence on games … BUT a game based on The Punisher MUST be pretty violent :D

+ ghamdikh1 on September 23rd, 2008 at 6:18 am said:

BURN XBOX LIVE BURN YOUR NOT GOING TO HAVE THIS ONE.

SO XBOX FINBOYS GO TALL M$ THROW SOME GREEN TO MAKE GAME LIKE THIS ONE LOSERS.

+ Ghostm on September 23rd, 2008 at 6:29 am said:

I never heard about this title until this morning. Hopefully is good.

+ amante on September 23rd, 2008 at 6:44 am said:

I suddenly have high hopes for this game and I found out about this very second. I’m hoping for a nice and gory game now. The Punisher can easily be gory considering the stories are violent as hell. Plus FPS without gore never made sense to me. Bullet goes in…nothing comes out? Wuh?

Now one can only hope for some screenies.

+ noelpioroda on September 23rd, 2008 at 6:53 am said:

Exclusive = Smex

No matter what.

+ BigOLBallz on September 23rd, 2008 at 6:54 am said:

Oh hellz yeah , lets get it , Sony , that’s what I’m talking about , I’m feeling this move Punisher would kick major bootaye on my Ps3 , make it cheap and aforable though!!!!

+ BigOLBallz on September 23rd, 2008 at 6:55 am said:

afordable

+ Foxx on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:00 am said:

When can we expect to see a trailer? Either teaser or gameplay although we’d prefer gameplay :D. Is there a time frame on the game yet? Spring ’09? Is it multiplayer only ala Warhawk or will there be a singleplayer component as well?

+ ftwrthtx on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:10 am said:

Will there be a demo and will the game have trophies?

Awesome sounding game.

+ nYc_FrEeWiLL_82 on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:11 am said:

AYO..imma love this game..a FPS MARVEL GAME..sounds MARVELOUS!..lol..cant wait to blast gangsters heads off!!..ooh yeah two questions..WHEN and is ther gonna be online/offline multi player?

+ Jos3_NyC on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:13 am said:

@23 LoL

+ LordJonas on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:18 am said:

NICE!

+ Horrorist on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:21 am said:

that what a surprise this morning
so many question….

trophies support?
is there a single player mode?
is it possible to customize our punisher or jigsaw?
how many type of weapon,and will they all be realistic?
is there hope for a demo soon ?
and most important when we can see the first screenshot ?

+ anotherdae on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:27 am said:

I hope its better than Iron Man was.

+ Captain Fury on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:39 am said:

any idea of how much space will it take?

+ EViD on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:44 am said:

Nice, thanks for the update.

When are we going to see some screen-shots or a trailer?

+ PSPsGTghOost on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:45 am said:

I am assuming you will have trophy support. Please do. Also remote-play will be nice!

“Unreal Engine 3 (the ultimate FPS engine)”…hmm… I’d say COD4 or Crysis engines are the ultimate in my opinion.

Is this game a timed exclusive or 100% forever exclusive?

+ Squall2600 on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:49 am said:

sweet so many awesome games r coming out on psn

+ Lord Raoh on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:53 am said:

that is awesome news

thank you sony and marvel.

the concept of the punisher as an FPS is so simplistically brilliant i’m sure people are kicking themselves for not thinking of it sooner.

cant wait.

+ Arda82 on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:54 am said:

This and Burnout Paradise are both must buys from PSN store… I feel that one day my 250 gb harddisk on my PS3 will feel small :(

+ Arda82 on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:55 am said:

Also guys check http://vgevo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=176291&postcount=6 for images

+ zeke2040 on September 23rd, 2008 at 7:57 am said:

pretty cool.. i’ll have to try this one out… thanks for the update as well

+ MSplatter on September 23rd, 2008 at 8:01 am said:

I hope you guys plan on showing off quite a bit, with your game history you have to… you used almost the same verbiage above as you did in explaining your 360 pinball game… You are gonna have to prove your studio is beyond kid games and pinball games; I hope for the best, but like I’ve said you’re going to have to show videos and preview it w/ game sites.

+ Subz3ro_13 on September 23rd, 2008 at 8:04 am said:

Hajrá Magyarok! Hajrá PS3! Lesznek trófeák és lehet játék közben saját zenét hallgatni? In English: Will there be trophy and backgroundmusic support? Btw i’m from hungary too. ^^

+ Jeigh on September 23rd, 2008 at 8:06 am said:

That’s some serious tech for a mere PSN title. You guys must mean business. Pretty cool that we were among the first to read the announcement- Gamespot doesn’t even have this listed yet. I’ll be tracking this one.

+ PuNiSHeR72 on September 23rd, 2008 at 8:06 am said:

im a big punisher fan im looking forward for this game to be coming out XD

+ JBruno on September 23rd, 2008 at 8:13 am said:

Looks really great in the pics I see today in the net.

Id Like the Punisher versions in Arcade ( the one beat-up with Nick Fury ) and PS2 ( very good and faithful BTW )And most important, made for Marvel fans as me.

This game will play as Quake III arena or similar? I know someone already ask, but will have a single player mode? Could be great. Thanks.

+ TheBrain76 on September 23rd, 2008 at 8:15 am said:

So is it multiplayer only or will there be a single player campaign?

+ TheHater on September 23rd, 2008 at 8:17 am said:

WOW, I didn’t see this one coming.

PAGE 1 2 3