PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

WipEout HD Approaching, Dust Off the Trophy Case

Karl Jones's Avatar + Posted by Karl Jones on Sep 23, 2008 // Designer, WipEout HD

Well, it’s been a while, but WipEout HD is almost out the studio door and on the virtual shelves of the PSN. What started life as a simple port has grown into a full-fledged game in its own right, with an extensive list of features. One of the things we’re very happy to support is PSN Trophies, 37 of them to be exact (well, 38 including Platinum)… and that’s what I’m going to talk a bit about today.

WipEout HD

Internally, we decided to ensure our trophies covered four main areas – game progression, stat milestones, novelty and skill. You’ll notice these categories reflected in the actual visual look of the trophies themselves, as and when you earn them. There’s are good mix of stuff you’ll earn naturally (through playing ‘normally’), and some bespoke stuff you might have to set some time aside for. For example, you may never have thought of playing Zone Mode with just airbrakes up to Zone 50, but that’s what you’ll have to do if you want the silver ‘Airbreaker’ Trophy in your collection. Then there’s another type of trophy, which falls kind of between those two areas, like the gold ‘Beat Zico’ trophy.

Actually, I’ll go off on a little tangent here.

WipEout HD

A few of us in the team had a long running competition with a very specific ruleset – Anulpha Pass/Forwards/Speed Lap/Venom/Pirahna. We were setting some impressive times. Every now and then someone would find a new tactic, a new line to take through a corner or another barrel roll opportunity, and shave a fraction of a second off the fastest time. We think we’ve found the optimal route now, so it’s all about a flawless execution of that line. We spent a lot of time on this competition, so we decided to make a trophy out of it. When it came to submitting the lap time, Zico Liu (one of our programmers) was top of the table, so he got the naming rights. Obtaining the gold ‘Beat Zico’ trophy is no easy task, so best of luck. Zico has since beaten his own time, and so has Stephen Taylor (another of our programmers), but like I say to them, Time Trials and Speed Laps are like punching a bag – nobody’s hitting you back. Online is where the big boys play, and I’m sure they’ll agree that that’s MY world. In fact I’d like to take this opportunity to trash talk some of our team – Ste, Zico, Tony, Col/s, Ian, Gaz, Matt/s, Sandy, James – I OWN you all.

I won’t go on about specifics and spoil them for you (although I’m sure the internet will do that given enough time), so I’ll leave it there. To summarize, WipEout HD has trophies. There’s one platinum, some gold, more silver and lots of bronze. There’s a good range of difficulty ranging from very easy to damn hard. I take my hat off to anybody that earns themselves the platinum ‘Transcendence’ trophy any time soon.

WipEout HD is available on 09/25 for $19.99. The team are very proud of this game and are just as happy as the fans to see this benchmark title finally get onto the PLAYSTATION Store. Oh, and don’t let the price tag fool you, WipEout HD is no run of the mill port. I can assure you that the PSN bar has been well and truly raised.

Thanks for your all your support and patience, it’ll be worth it.

3, 2, 1 – GO!

123 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ TheHater on September 23rd, 2008 at 9:55 am said:

Well it look like I will be buying a 50 dollar psn card this tomorrow just for this game :)

+ SantanaClaus89 on September 23rd, 2008 at 9:57 am said:

SWEET! Can’t wait till Thursday with both this game and Mega Man 9 coming!

+ hostes on September 23rd, 2008 at 9:57 am said:

omg i am looking forward to this game! will be great

+ kaako on September 23rd, 2008 at 9:59 am said:

My monies is yours Sony! I cannot resist the sexy beautiful power of Wipeout HD.

IF the game sell really well, you guys should definitely do more quality HD remakes.

+ ftwrthtx on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:01 am said:

Will this game work with remote play?

+ D1rk-Knight on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:02 am said:

Day one purchase for me. :)

+ AceGamer on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:05 am said:

I’ve never played a Wipeout game, and I’m very interested in playing this one. My only question: will there be a demo for the game?

As much as I want to play this game, I’m not just going to drop $20 on something I’ve never played before.

+ depward on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:06 am said:

Can’t wait for Thurs :)

+ Shanie on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:08 am said:

Only two days left to go! *is in love*

The only thing that’s missing from Wipeout HD is the ship skin creator. Please add it in as a update feature later on… Unless it’s hard to put that into this game due to it being in HD…?

Eitherway, this will be my favouite pass time for a long time, great job Karl Jones and all at Studio Liverpool! :)

+ BIG-SLUG on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:09 am said:

This looks awesome! Platinum you say? I might be playing this game a little more then I thought….

+ kingv84 on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:12 am said:

I am so excited for thursday! I been waiting a long time for a wipeout game for PS3 since its launch. Thanks Sony! My business is yours on thursday!

+ nmc75 on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:12 am said:

Sounds great! Always been a fan of the Wipeout series.

+ MiC-NL on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:12 am said:

SWEET MOTHER OF JEHOVA, YES, YES, YES!

This is my defining Playstation title. A PSN title you say? Yes. But we all know PSN is more then just some small arcade games. Full fletched digital distributed retail games are easily found and WipEout HD is definitly the best example only with an insane budget price.

Why didn’t you guys make it 30$? Affraid of earning too much money? :D Nah i’m just playing. It’s great, thanks for this amazing title, can’t wait!!

+ Silurus on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:13 am said:

With this and Burnout Trophies on Thursday it is going to be sweet.

+ FDPfrankie on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:16 am said:

Is it Thursday yet!!!!

+ Ghostm on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:17 am said:

Sweeter than candy! Thursday is going to be wicked. The game has everything I want. Custom in-game music, Trophies at a great price.

How big is the download?

+ omarkh92 on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:17 am said:

Sounds good looking forward to playing it! specially in HD !!
haha I cant wait to get all the trophies for it too.
thanks !

+ CHRP718 on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:17 am said:

WipEout HD is going to be awesome.
Please update the PSN Store early.

+ XxBigP123xX on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:17 am said:

I had the mone in my wallet all ready for this.

Then my Ps3 breaks :,(

+ Davitr0n on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

Can’t wait to get this. Haven’t played Wipeout in a long time, and I am feeling the need for speed!

+ Lloytron on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

Why is there nothing on here mentioning the LBP beta that I’m downloading right now?!

+ EvoAnubis on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

Trust me, Karl; I’m on it.

+ Morphine16 on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

Thanks Karl, will game on day 1

+ seph1r0th00 on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:19 am said:

Day one purchase! See you all online!

+ Ghostm on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:19 am said:

@14 Silurus

Burnout Trophies are coming this Thursday? OMG!!! Are you sure about this?

+ Silurus on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:23 am said:

@25 Ghostm

Thats the word on PS3Fanboy.Com

Burnout PSN release and trophy patch.

+ SpookyJuice on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:24 am said:

Will it feature Voice Chat for online play?

+ theownerz on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:24 am said:

wow a platinum trophy cool i might go for it

+ whoelse on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:24 am said:

Well worth the money.

+ Ghostm on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:29 am said:

OMG dude, it’s an early christmas. BOOOOOYAAA!

+ EvoAnubis on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:30 am said:

@21: The more interesting question is why does Eurogamer have LBP beta invites to hand out, but the Official PlayStation.Blog doesn’t?

No Home beta, no LBP beta…….I’m not feeling the love here.

+ StalkingSilence on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:31 am said:

Linking to the PS3 trophy list for WipEout HD seems a little counterintuitive.

+ IceCold on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:34 am said:

Day one purchase for me! Brings back memories. =]

+ Trieloth on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:40 am said:

*throws hands in the air..Yes Yes Yes, the wait is almost OVER!!

+ lazedk on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:44 am said:

YES!!!! And yes Burnout Trophies are comming! Look at the post regarding the PSN download version of Burnout on this blog

+ Brownber on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:45 am said:

Awesome-day one purchase, no doubt about it!

I just hope that WipeOut (the PS1 launch title one!) plays a little bit like this, as playing that has been my only means of practising to help me suck a little bit less at HD!

+ ps360 on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:48 am said:

Sony needs to renew all it’s licenses to whip out the official “WipeOut Music Pak” for this.
Imagine all the music from previous games on one disc that can be used with WipeOut HD. My neigbor will not be happy, nor get any sleep.

until then… I will ask my friend, Mr. Torrent…

Are YOU a firestarter?

+ sublimentality on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:50 am said:

Does the platinum trophy increase your psn level at all? The last platinum I got I expected to see a big jump but my level didnt increase one bit. Is it just more of a status symbol or is there actual ”XP points” assigned to it?

+ spats on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:52 am said:

Always loved wipeouts, day one purchase!

+ FeaturePreacher on September 23rd, 2008 at 10:54 am said:

How many equalizers will zone mode have? In other words, will zone mode look like the following video:

+ FeaturePreacher on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:02 am said:

If the zone mode in the version of Wipeout HD that will be released Thursday 9/25 will not be like the one here,

,will it be patched to look like this soon? I know about the epilepsy tests, but isn’t this what disclaimers are for? Just say you could get an epileptic seizure and if you do, you’ve been warned so it’s your own fault.

+ skaterricky on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:05 am said:

Can’t Wait to get my Hands on it!

Will have to set aside some money just for this game :D

Whats Next in what games you will be rolling out in the future??

I myself Think we need a Revamped ROLLCAGE!

That game was fun and it would be a Well Great game to play online and the Graphics Would be really Great to get in 1080p ;)

Hope you take my Idea.. and id like to have a name of Credit for it :D

Thanks Ricky,

+ Neil on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:14 am said:

You guys should do a post mortem on this game. I’d love to read the story on how this game started out as a simple PSN stop gap to a full on game.

+ Xenophon on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:24 am said:

Oh man… so much need. And in such an absurdly busy week, too. Between an exam, concert, and presentation, THIS comes out. Might need to wait until the weekend so I don’t self destruct in 1080 HD glory.

+ Scodo_Thope on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:27 am said:

Nice!

My first Wipeout in HD!

I can’t wait!

:P

+ gorillapimp on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:40 am said:

karl,

can we expect downloadable map packs, like the omega packs for wipeout pure? i live in the states and really wanted to play these designer tracks but, of course, were only for the european market. will pay for omega! thanks, and congrats on the game, it looks absolutely stunning!

+ SDkngsht on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:45 am said:

@ #7

i hear you. a demo would be cool. but trust me…if it’s Wipeout…in HD…on the PS3…there’s no need to question it. it’s a day one purchase.

+ HaVoK_08 on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:48 am said:

I’ve had my money waiting for this moment for a loonnggg time. I used to pride myself on my wipeout skills back in the day, and to return is going to be magnificent. I am looking forward to having some challenging trophy hunts and would like to further echo the thoughts of many fans across the globe, THANK YOU. Phantom class FTW

+ jbat17 on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:49 am said:

the origianl PS1 WO was awesome, and i loved WO Pure and Pulse on the psp. WO HD is a must buy for me..

question: can i unlock trophies in easy mode? no, i’m not a newb. i’m just curious.

+ GGCAN on September 23rd, 2008 at 11:50 am said:

Thanks Karl.

Everyone I know is talking about this game and says it’s a definate.

I just hope those servers are gonna be working fine when all of us start downloading this game at the same time….

Think it will definately be a good seller.

PAGE 1 2 3