Farpoint

Sep 24

Sep 24

Parsons’ LittleBigPlanet Levels “Blow Away” Media Molecule

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

You may have stayed up a bit late last weekend – but not like 150 or so students at Parsons The New School for Design did. That’s how many talented/lucky/dedicated people participated in the 24-hour LittleBigPlanet GameJam.

The goal: produce the best level in that short amount of time.
The results: awesome enough to surprise even the Media Molecule representatives who were on-hand to help judge the results.

I spoke with MM’s Kareem Ettouney and Kenny Young shortly after the presentations. Pay close attention to their excitement – if levels this good can be made in 24 hours, imagine what you gamers will do in a week.

We’ll have the winners (Team Good Sportsmanship) back on the blog soon to share their LittleBigExperience, and best of all – you’ll be able to play all these levels once the game hits stores October 21.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Jeigh said:

September 24th, 1:08 pm

Even if they only had a 24 hours to make it, it’s still not fair to pit us against them, since they are 150 people and I am but one.

Still, that’s pretty cool and I’m most definitely looking forward to this! Hopefully, this is just the beginning of Media Molecule’s support of the PS3. :D

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 24th, 1:29 pm

Well, they did this in groups of 3-7 or so. So get a couple of friends over and you\’ll level the playing field :-)

KaiserSosate said:

September 24th, 1:12 pm

Can’t wait to get my hands on this game, it comes out 2 days before my birthday.

Jeigh said:

September 24th, 1:16 pm

That’s was actually kind of funny how you were trying to coax examples out of them! XD

Oh, and by the way, I call dibs on creating a robot-monkey-chicken! XD

lakaihigh said:

September 24th, 1:23 pm

I can’t wait to start cookin up my own levels! this game has me sooo pumped. first level i make is a 20,000 leagues under the sea theme. anyone here see the shadow of the colossus user made level? that thing was sweet.

peace,
Lh

Ajora said:

September 24th, 1:30 pm

All I can say is…LBP FIW!!! w00t!

Ajora said:

September 24th, 1:31 pm

*FTW >_<

joeymp said:

September 24th, 1:44 pm

CANI-GETA-CODE

SEROUSLY COME ON! PLEASE I NEED TO PLAY LBP SOOOO BAD YOU HAVE NO IDEA. IM LOSING MY MIND.

kinetic808 said:

September 24th, 1:54 pm

All the buzz that’s going on leading up to the launch is killing me.

THATPSPGUY said:

September 24th, 2:08 pm

I just can’t wait to let my Imagination run wild. with the Playstation EYE right next to me and millions of textures on my pc and pictures , I can’t Frackin WAIT!! Hey Jeff, do YOU know when us folks here in Canada and the U.S. get our invites? Will you pick people specifically from the Blog as sort of a nice thing to do for your loyal readers and commenter’s?

Asshandler said:

September 24th, 2:08 pm

Another issue I’ve come across, it seems there is a problem using my bluetooth keyboard to type text messages, it’s like there’s key lag or something, and when I hit a key, oftentimes it just repeats it over and over as though I’m holding the key down.

Hopefully that’s fixed in the final, Im not a fan of the mini keyboard in the game to type with.

spyker3292 said:

September 24th, 2:13 pm

Wow, the all look sweet. Cool interview too. Now…. can I have the beta? ;)

-BurntOrange32

MakaiOokami said:

September 24th, 2:21 pm

This is the exact reason why Sony has never had a true mascot until Sack Boy and why Sack Boy will represent Sony so well.

Nintendo was made famous from new and inventive platform titles as well as new and inventive Action. and RPG titles. That’s why Link and Mario have been around so long and Kirby, and Ness have been poking up in Brawl.

The thing is though, Sony has never had a true IP that stayed reasonably high quality that captivated the masses. Instead Sony had so many wonderful titles that captivated audiences that would come and go, building a variety so huge that EVERYONE could find SOMETHING they liked. Anyone who didn’t own a PS2 last generation was entirely left out of some of the greatest games I’ve had the pleasure of owning, beating, replaying, and trying my hardest to beat, but failing miserably because of the difficulty.

LBP is a culmination of the spirit of Sony. True innovation, true dynamic experience, truly inventive, and most importantly filled with more variety than anyone could ever know what to do with.

Sack Boy will take many faces, many forms, and dress in many different ways. The levels will have just as many faces and be even more inventive once users get their hands on the amazing level creator.

For this reason. Sack Boy fits perfectly. Sony can only be described in one way. Their own.

Asshandler said:

September 24th, 2:28 pm

One has to wonder if you’d be preaching that same mantra if this was a 360 exclusive. :p

Wisdom Wanderer said:

September 24th, 2:31 pm

I can’t wait!

GibbShift said:

September 24th, 2:43 pm

There really isn’t much else to be said about this game. It truly can do no wrong. Only thing to do now is wait on Beta Keys and the retail version. The one week I’ll have with this game will be the best week I’ll have all year.

I need to go ahead and start thinking of a Halloween themed level to build. This game’s gonna be so CASH.

WHAT said:

September 24th, 2:48 pm

Don’t really care, but the video is funny.

BZKlint said:

September 24th, 3:11 pm

Hey Jeff, when this game comes out be sure to post some of your levels m-kay? :)

Would be awesome ;)

ad4mb said:

September 24th, 3:16 pm

This game looks great

wish i was in the beta though

Jedah said:

September 24th, 3:48 pm

I can’t wait to get my hands on this game. Thank you for the update on this game.

crazypenguin said:

September 24th, 4:06 pm

random question jeff. do you happen to know kareem’s ethnicity? he sounds very egyptian to me.

on another note, absolutely amazing, really want to play some of those levels. i saw the winning one on ps3fanboy , but i think that there are other things i’d much rather see!

joeymp said:

September 24th, 4:46 pm

C4N1-G3T4-C0D3

Tatsujin said:

September 24th, 5:29 pm

=( …………… i want to play it now. i’m gonna camp outside my store on the day before release and wait for midnight then snatch it off!

diablo103 said:

September 24th, 6:55 pm

this game, must play, need play game(im salivating at the thought of thus game in my ps3, and ds3 ready in my hands)

y0j1mb0 said:

September 24th, 7:04 pm

Need Beta…!

Lrgking said:

September 24th, 7:59 pm

I made it to the Beta!!!!
woooooooot!!!!

sza392 said:

September 24th, 9:53 pm

this game is gonna be so revolutionary and amazing if u need a reason to buy a ps3 u have it now

joostin said:

September 25th, 12:20 am

Where do Canadians preorder to get the Nariko SackGirl? A Kai one in the future for DLC would be sick too!

mza49311 said:

September 25th, 8:13 am

I very much would like to join in on the beta fun, too bad I haven’t heard anything on how to get into the us beta?

Nynja said:

September 25th, 9:48 am

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

df2506 said:

September 25th, 8:02 pm

I have a non-Beta question, but its still LittleBigPlanet related.

A recent Playstation underground e-mail says that LBP is coming out on October 7th. Now, I know the date was announced as October 21st. Was the date changed or was this just a misprint?

DF2506

hanseo said:

September 26th, 5:39 am

I can’t wait to play it…

please put some Legend of dragoon costumes in LBP PLEASE

hanseo said:

September 26th, 5:44 am

rudy sackboy (wildarms)
dart sackboy and shana sackgirl, rose sack girl (legend of dragoon)

Please put these in LBP

hanseo said:

September 26th, 6:16 am

monica sackgirl (dark cloud 2)
in LBP please

Scodo_Thope said:

September 26th, 7:49 am

Sony shines in ’08 !!

Lastly, LBP will be awesome!

:P

Slick_Paki said:

September 26th, 8:23 am

Wow.. this game does look pretty darn cool. How much will this game cost? Has the price been made public? Thanks.

PAGE 1 2