Spider-Man PS4

Sep 25

Sep 25

Mega Man 9 arrives today on the PSN!

John Diamonon's Avatar Posted by Product Marketing Manager, Capcom

What a big day, huh? It has got to be the best week ever for the store. (Ro Hernandez told me to write that.)

I am honored to announce that Mega Man 9 will be available today on the PLAYSTATION Network for only $9.99. Our beloved Blue Bomber returns to his 8-bit roots in this 9th adventure of the original storyline. Here’s the rundown:

In the year 20XX, after the events of Mega Man 8, multiple riots have sprung up all over the world. Many people suspect that this is another plot from Dr. Wily. Dr. Light is stunned to recognize that some of the robots rioting on the TV screen are his own creations. Even more stunning, Dr. Wily appears on television to proclaim that Dr. Light is the evil mastermind behind these latest catastrophic incidents. Now, Mega Man must set out to stop the rogue robots and discover the truth behind the attacks. *SPOILER ALERT* (It really is Dr. Wily’s evil plot to rule the world. Shhhh!)

This project has really been a labor of love for all the hard core Mega Man fans. When I first read the game design doc for this project, I though this was some kind of joke. 8-bit graphics in this day and age? Intentional flickering and tearing? Extra difficulty levels? Whaaaat? When I started to really delve into this assignment and talk to hundreds of Mega Man fans, I began to understand that there is a certain affinity, a passion for this character. People would tell me their experiences with Mega Man 2 and how they had to sneak in play sessions to avoid their mom yelling at them for spending too much time with their NES. I started to feel better.

Inafune-san got it right with this game. This is his baby. He knew the importance of living up to the original series and how introducing “9” meant high expectations. He recruited a large team (yes that’s right), with the talent to pull this off. A team that knew what a pixel perfect jump meant. A team that understood the intricacies of classic level design, on how placing a certain enemy at a certain place would affect a person’s speed run strategy. A team that could compose an epic musical score within the limitations of 1980s technology. Try to pull off a Picasso with 4 crayons and you’ll understand that creating an 8-bit classic in this era is not an easy task. Play the game, or just try out the demo first, and enjoy the little details that scream “fan service”.

If this is the first time you’ll play a Mega Man game, you’ll understand why older gamers complain that games these days just aren’t as challenging anymore (Damn kids, jk). Be patient though and don’t throw your DualShock through your screen. I bet you’ll have a sudden itch to go back and try the level again. You’ll cuss, you’ll kick your dog and pick fights with your girlfriend. When you finally complete the level after the umpteenth time, you’ll finally realize the magic that is Mega Man.

On a side note, I know you’ll have a lot of questions, and I expect this thread to be pretty active. If I don’t get to your answers right away, it’s because I’m at the Age of Booty party introducing for the first time to the public, playable Proto Man (Horse armor, he is not). Talk to you soon!

Your friend from Capcom,
John D

Add Your Own

tommycronin said:

September 25th, 8:46 am

Bionic Commando Reamrmed And Now This, Keep Up The Good Work John

reinheart said:

September 25th, 8:53 am

Definately buying this game, loved the original megaman (for me Rockman since I was in Japan at that time) and the Rockman X series.

My favorite till now is still Megaman 2, hated Dr. Willy stage 2. Forget if it was 1 or 2, loved the music but was remember being stuck on the stage for a long time LOL.

My wife will probably kill me for buying another game… thanks to the graphics I can lie and tell her does this look new to you!? it’s classic game I got for free… and hopefully she wouldn’t find out… (^_^)

Theossie said:

September 25th, 8:53 am

Wow Europe had a Huge update huh…

WipEout HD full game
Burnout Paradise full game
Mega Man 9 full game
Mercenaries 2 demo

Beijing 2008 demo
Mega Man 9 demo
Burnout Legends full PSP game
Burnout Dominator full PSP game

Very cool..

EvoAnubis said:

September 25th, 8:53 am

One more thing, John. I hope you don’t mind, but I added you on PSN. I’ll play you in WipEout, but don’t go living in a dreamworld and think you can take me in Warhawk; that’s just a REALLY bad plan.

John Diamonon's Avatar

John Diamonon said:

September 27th, 8:25 am

lol..We\’re PSN friends now.

Bakke said:

September 25th, 8:58 am

Hey there John Diamonon. I played the demo and lemme tell you it was fantastic. Can’t wait for the North American PSN Update to purchase it :)

I’m glad Capcom hasn’t forgotten we old school hardcore gamers who love challenges and insane gameplay haha I’m so serious in there.

Props to Inti Creates Co., Ltd. They made a transcendent job no doubt.

DaveB1980 said:

September 25th, 9:01 am

I’ve been a huge fan of the series since its NES days, so I will definitely be picking this game up! You know, with the great response MM9 and Bionic Commando Rearmed have been receiving, is there any chance we’ll see Mega Man 2: Powered Up or Maverick Hunter X-2 on the PSN at some point? I thought the first two were amazing on the PSP.

JBruno said:

September 25th, 9:02 am

Man, all this whining about trophies are giving me a headache. John always warned us in the past that Megaman 9 dont have trophy support. Buy the game for the game, this is the most important thing.

John, let me asking something, the demo have the same size of the final full game? If I download the trial version,can I unlock the full game later without any more download time?

John Diamonon's Avatar

John Diamonon said:

September 27th, 8:26 am

The download time won\’t be that much longer for the full game version.

Ghostm said:

September 25th, 9:06 am

Does anybody know if the Burnout update is up in NA?

Ratchet3 said:

September 25th, 9:08 am

will you bring back more old franchises to psn in the future

gat305 said:

September 25th, 9:09 am

9.99 megaman
19.99 wipeout
29.99 burnout
anything else thats gonna burn a hole in my wallet tonight lol

and whats up with ssfhd remix ive been waiting forever for that… damn sf4 will be out first at the rate things are going whats taking so long for this game…

gat305 said:

September 25th, 9:09 am

oh and anything on a marvel vs capcom3?

aluk said:

September 25th, 9:16 am

Any chances of a MegaMan Sackboy coming out?

Argnoth said:

September 25th, 9:17 am

You’ve had my money since the initial announcement, the good reviews and especially the screwattack review have only made me want this game more. 30 bucks down the tubes today, MM9, Wipeout.. here I come.

MakaiOokami said:

September 25th, 9:21 am

I know I’m asking in vein but I HAVE to ask…

Is there any chance that you guys will provide a 5-10 dollar SNES graphical upgrade add-on for those of us who fell in love with the SNES Mega Man games and remixed music? I doubt it’s possible or that you guys would be willing but… I was let down with 1942, BC:R, lack of Mega Man remakes or releases for PSP, no PS3 Dead Rising, no DMC4 downloadable content, lack of trophy support, and a seemingly ever increasing list of dissapointments. You guys used to be my favorite company. PowerStone was one of the best games I’ve ever owned on my Dreamcast and again on my PSP.

I LOVE Mega Man series. The biggest reason why I don’t really LOVE this game is just that Mega Man 7, X1, X2, and Mega Man and Bass were the games I had fallen in love with. I would gladly pay an extra 10 dollars to have 1 more game that looks like an SNES Mega Man.

Shade Man on 7 was my all time favorite part of any Mega Man series. I loved the music, I loved the feel, I loved the look, his Sonic Wave Blast attack that you could power up, so much, so little time.

One more question is Bass going to be a DLC add on? A.K.A. Forte

He’s my favorite Mega Man character and I would pay up to 5 dollars to play with him again.

I’m a huge fan that’s been buying Mega Man games even though most of them have been decreasing in entertainment value. I’ve stuck to the series because I’ve fallen for the series so badly that I can even enjoy some of the worst the series has to offer.

What happened to the Capcom that made me proud to own every game… what happened to the capcom I filled so much of my game collection with?

It’s just kinda depressing. I’m a long time fan but releases are getting more and more… how should I put it… scary… than exciting. Rather than be excited I’m scared that the next game is going to be horrible. I hope RE5 and some other new titles will help turn things around.

I’m still buying Mega Man 9… but only because I’m still a hardcore fan and I’m a glutton for punishment when it comes to Mega Man games. I just hope this and RE5 aren’t the last Capcom purchases I make.

EvoAnubis said:

September 25th, 9:25 am

@108: Not until the Store updates.

Xenophon said:

September 25th, 9:25 am

Thanks for the port! I’ll pick this up Sooner than later :D. What I can say though, without doubt, is that if the X series was ported I would buy it in an instant. Since I started gaming on the SNES, it was my first introduction to the series, and the amount of sentimental value is huge. I own a cart copy of megaman x, and if you released it on PSN I’d finally be able to encase it in glass so no harm would ever come to the precious again :)

tsukasa1288 said:

September 25th, 9:25 am

i would like to play megaman 9, but i’m about 7000 miles away from my ps3 at the moment. didn’t feel like lugging my ps3 with me all the way to beijing.

Theossie said:

September 25th, 9:30 am

Hey John… You didn’t reply to a couple comments there… You trippin’

I kid.. Thanks for spend so much time on the blog.. Nice to see all that red.

John Diamonon's Avatar

John Diamonon said:

September 25th, 9:33 am

I\’m preparing for a party. I\’ll be back to answer mostly EVERYONE!

tsaksyapune said:

September 25th, 9:34 am

hey john check ur PS3, add me :D man can’t wait to get megaman! i have a wii and 7600 points but i didnt want to get it there. DS3’s d-pad is just better for me and the button layout for jumping and shooting at the same time. i had megaman collection for the gamecube and it ruined the experience with its dumb controller. megaman 3 was my favorite too along with 6. i remember me and my classmates after school helping each other out with some trick for megaman 3 where the the second person’s controller has to hold certain buttons so that i could jump in cliffs and bounce right back and gave me infinite lives :D yeah it was damn hard but i also finished it withouth the cheat :D gotta say though i will miss charging and dashing, megaman didnt just came back from 8 bit but he came back all the way to 1986

BabeBro said:

September 25th, 9:35 am

Listen to me Capcom! If you make a Marvel VS Capcom 3 or revamped HD version of Marvel VS Capcom 2, followed by a Final Fight remake, Capcom will own on the PS3 do u hear me?!

fed315 said:

September 25th, 9:37 am

cool thanks mega man rules played demo old school

bader said:

September 25th, 9:40 am

capcom I love u.
but we need resident evil 1,2 on PSN .
like JAPAN STORE ):

fed315 said:

September 25th, 9:41 am

is it 4:3 sd screen only or there be in 16:9 too i tryed on the demo but could t

mywhitenoise said:

September 25th, 9:44 am

This amazing to see so many responses! Seriously, that’s amazing!
Hey John, any more news on SFIIHD? I’m dying for that game, I want it next month!

John Diamonon's Avatar

John Diamonon said:

September 27th, 8:28 am

We\’re almost there.

tsaksyapune said:

September 25th, 9:44 am

WTH happened to the psx releases? copyrights suck

IceCold said:

September 25th, 9:45 am

Great pricepoint, great game. Can’t wait until i get home. Unfortunately that won’t be until late since ill be doing testing on the 777F.

SDkngsht said:

September 25th, 9:45 am

man…i swear…sometimes i hate my fellow gamers. a bunch of fanboys and whining @$$ crybabys.

NO THIS GAME DOES NOT HAVE TROPHIES…but neither did the other 100,000 games we’ve all enjoyed for YEARS. suddenly a game without trophies isn’t worth buying? give me a f’in break. REAL GAMERS BUY GAMES FOR THE GAME not all this extra little side bs. i will continue to buy great games because they are great games and i REFUSE to buy a horrible game because it has trophies.

John…THANK YOU for the mega man goodness on the PSN today. i have the PS2 MegaMan collection and have played through them all several times. i remember getting mega man 2 on NES when i was 6 in the summer and stayed up all night to beat the game the day i bought it (actually about 930 the next morning). i STILL can’t get enough of throwing those circular saws at tree/wood man.

wipeout and megaman…xmas came early this year people.

trophy whores…grow up and ask someone what a real gamer is.

bhurak said:

September 25th, 9:46 am

Thanks for your reply (to 28) to try the demo… I didn’t realize that it was to be released today as well. I’ll definitely try it out. Maybe you’ll rope me in by reminding me of how much I loved the series growing up…

tsaksyapune said:

September 25th, 9:47 am

yeah john u just made capcom back on my top dev list.

sony
nintendo
capcom
square-enix

afrosheen said:

September 25th, 9:47 am

So, it’s $2 extra to get Protoman with the charge shot that Megaman has had since Megaman 3? And this is Megaman 9?

Did anyone bother playing Megaman 3 through 8 before designing this one?

saintfighteraqua said:

September 25th, 9:51 am

I don’t usually let trophies decide my purchases, but it would be nice if you will add trophies in an update.

TFHAppo said:

September 25th, 9:52 am

Woohoo, I may have to go get a PSN card today!!! I loved old school MM!

Valkendorm said:

September 25th, 9:55 am

Capcom completely rules this year.

Please make more retro games like MM9 and Bionic Commando Rearmed. They make me feel young again. ;)

PS: It’s also amazing to see a dev replying to every single comment in a thread. Thanks John!

PirateThom said:

September 25th, 10:06 am

I wasn’t going to buy it, because I still have my NES hooked up to my TV and thought it was redundant to buy an 8 Bit game…

Then I played the demo…

Now I need to wait until I get money in the bank tomorrow to buy it and Wipeout HD.

Damn you Sony and Capcom! :(

nmc75 said:

September 25th, 10:06 am

Here’s my Megaman story.. back in the day, Megaman was not a franchise that we all know now, no, it was a very simple game, of Megaman and the 8(?) bosses and Dr. Wily. The story, gameplay was brilliant in it’s simplicity: run, jump, shoot. The most awesome part of the game however, was assuming almost alter-ego’s of Megaman when you beat a boss and absorb their powers to use. If that’s not brilliant back in 1986 I don’t know what is. The key was to learn which bosses to beat first and then use their powers to take down other bosses… strategy was key! The music was cool too, it was the kind that made you feel like you were playing the role of a Japanese super-hero circa late 1970’s, think Ultraman. Anyways, Megaman 2 rolled along and even then, I felt Megaman was a cult favorite when everyone was playing Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I scrambled enough cash to buy it (which was very hard to do for a non-working kid to save up $60-$70, cartridge prices… ugh) and was floored by the higher production.. music, graphics, gameplay was so polished over the original… Megaman 2 stands in my mind as one of the BEST games of all time. Since then, I have to admit I did not follow Megaman anymore. Megaman 3 was forgetable in my mind, and afterwards, the franchise really took off but with spin-offs of “X” and 3D polygons, it was too much… and I never got into it. Megaman to me, is about simplicity of gameplay, story and music. It was a stroke of genius to make Megaman 9 in the retro 8bit style and I can’t wait to play it tonight and offer my thoughts.

Cloned_Images said:

September 25th, 10:14 am

hey i hope you dont mind i added you, im buying MM9 friday(my paycheck arrives).

Just one question though, have you ever had a Mega Man moment when you threw your hands in the air and said F***** yea i finally did it. and if so what?….

jcasanova said:

September 25th, 10:14 am

@John:

Is it important to know all the previous Megaman games stories for this one?

@the guys complaining about remote play:

It doesn’t matter Megaman 9 has no remote play. I like remote play but it’s useless when you are in a place with no internet access (that’s most of the time outside my home). It would be better if developers released PSN games that could be copied to your psp memory stick and ps3 hdd.

Iszk said:

September 25th, 10:18 am

I will say though, the DLC scheme for the game is disgusting, and almost stopped me from buying the game. Taking the charge shot from Mega Man to sell it to us later with Proto Man, when it would be easy and cheap to simply include both in the initial purchase, is blatantly greedy and scummy milking. I know you had nothing to do with that, but whoever did, I really wonder how they sleep at night.

An 8-bit sprite with a charge shot and slide move that are likely the same animations that were previously used when Mega Man had those moves is not something capcom spent a lot of money bringing to the table. It’s content cut from the final game specifically to raise the cost of the actual full game. Seriously, any attempt to make an 8 bit sprite with reccled old animations out to be something the company absolutely has to charge for, when Burnout Paradise is getting so many free updates that change the game so radically, is an insanely stupid thing to do.

Cloned_Images said:

September 25th, 10:18 am

also, anyway to get interviews with the people who did the music score. and will it be for purchase… im a sucker for 8bit music.

jcasanova said:

September 25th, 10:20 am

Does somebody knows if Bionic Commando Rearmed trophies will be retroactive? I’m on the Albatross on super hard now!!!

Iszk said:

September 25th, 10:20 am

@137

Dr.Wiley made some robots and attacked the world, go kill them.

Thats the basic idea in every game.

Iszk said:

September 25th, 10:21 am

@140
Criterion confirmed that retroactive trophies are not possible. So BC will not have them, when or if it gets trophies, if you want them, you have to start all over.

megacarlos said:

September 25th, 10:23 am

does this mean hopefully more x series will come along but for sure im gettin mm9 gotta complete my collection

SylarEatsBrains said:

September 25th, 10:27 am

Is it justme or is Nostalgia an underrated high? I hope the success of this and Bionic Commando(and the inevitable success of SS2HD) convince other companies to jump on this retro boat.

psyXcho said:

September 25th, 10:28 am

John,

Any information on the side placeholder questions that were asked in the last mm9 blog? My widescreen tv will scream in pain with black bars….

fermph said:

September 25th, 10:28 am

Wait, I know it comes out today on the PSN, but is it actually up right now? I checked and nothing.

bboynoe said:

September 25th, 10:31 am

AAARRRGGGGG!!!

Ive been waiting for MM9 since I heard about it at E3. I DONT SEE IT AT THE PLAYSTATION STORE!!!

JOHN PLEASE HELP! or anyone! :)

Its 10:30 here, pacific time. does the playstation store update at a certain time?

also I just noticed that I havent updated my ps3 to version 2.43

Could that have to do with it not showing up yet?

ari_solid86 said:

September 25th, 10:33 am

I like the idea that you guys at Capcom release demos for PSN games, not every developers do that & i liked the Bionic Commando demo & gonna try out Megaman 9 demo,but unfortunately can’t buy them because there is no PSN cards available in the Middle East.
And too bad those 2 games don’t have trophies because they’re awesome but i hope in the future that RE5 & the next-gen Bionic Commando gonna have them, those games look superb.
Oh & sorry for this long post but what happened to the Devil May Cry PSP title? i keep seeing that its still available on Capcom’s japanese site.

psyXcho said:

September 25th, 10:42 am

146/147

the store updates around 4pm central on thursdays from what I can tell

B1ack_Mage said:

September 25th, 10:56 am

I will be buying it today! You better hold up your deal of the bargain John. (reminder: deal was I buy MM9, you release mega man legends series on PSN)