PS4-The Order

Orlando Blog Reader’s Meet-up Recap (plus a little something for those who couldn’t make it)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 29, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

When we started planning our Orlando blog readers’ meet-up, I can’t say that I set the bar that high. 30 people would be stunning. After all, our previous meet-ups took place alongside industry events such as PAX and E3; we had a built-in audience. Last Friday in Orlando was just that: a Friday in Orlando.

orlandoevent11

And yet last Friday we held our biggest, most fun, and best event ever. Over 150 Floridians turned out (many driving from far-off locations such as Tampa and Gainesville) to partake in WipEout HD, LittleBigPlanet beta, Buzz! Quiz TV and BBQ. It was great to get to talk with so many of you, many of whom expressed thanks for coming all the way out there.

orlandoevent07

Gamers testing out Wipeout HD

My favorite story of the night came from the gentleman (pictured below), who bet his friend $5 that he wouldn’t win anything, “because he never does.” This, of course, is right before he won a copy of Buzz PS3.

orlandoevent20

Actually, everyone was a winner, as we surprised attendees with LittleBigPlanet beta codes, prompting the biggest cheers of the night.

Thanks again to everyone who attended, and especially to Matt and Sean who took so many great pics with their fancy SLR cameras. Oh, and to the Orlando Sentinel, PS3 Fanboy, and other bloggers who wrote about the event.

Uber-extra-special thanks to the fine folks at Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy/UCF, for proving such gracious hosts in an awesome venue. Thanks Todd, Rich, and JR.

Just so you know, we’ll be back in Central Florida (in a somewhat different capacity) in just a couple of weeks during the PlayStation Pro.

Oh, and we’ve got a few extra LBP codes for those who couldn’t make it. The first 50 people to email us at playstationblogorlando@gmail.com will receive an LBP beta key by the end of the day (Pacific time!).

UPDATE: All winners have been identified, and will be receiving their codes shortly (some of you have them already). So, um, that’s good on the emails! Thanks!

+ eric1018 on September 29th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

Oops, meant beta requests. ;)

+ zakir8 on September 29th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

Oh my God. This is not fair. And only 50 people???? Come On Jeff.

+ fed315 on September 29th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

only 50 codes i want in

+ MFRICHARD on September 29th, 2008 at 4:02 pm said:

Hmmm Fyi The LBP News Site Is Down I Dont Know What’s Going On Anymore..

+ MidgetguyII on September 29th, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

AWESOME!!!! I wish I was there…

The story about the $5 bet made me laugh!

-If only I had been able to read this sooner!!!! Now I’ve just barely missed out on that beta code.

+ HorizonShadow on September 29th, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

yea, the LBP site probably had some codes on it, and someone found out… i KNEW IT! LBP2 will be made in 2012, and the beta will go live on the 21st of dec….

+ DrzBIGChris on September 29th, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

LOL That was very fast every where i go to get a beta i never get it. I really thought i had a chance guess not
THANKS ANYWAY

+ dipic on September 29th, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

@86: Life isn’t fair, get over it. Better yet, instead if being bitter and complaining, why not suggest a better way to do it.

+ eric1018 on September 29th, 2008 at 4:05 pm said:

@105

I tried posting numerous times and the site failed me. I am soooo sad….

Please playstation.blog people, forward my psn (ILOVEPLASTATION3) to the lbp beta people!!! lol…thanks!

+ adolson on September 29th, 2008 at 4:07 pm said:

Oh Jeff, you’re so silly. 200 codes for the Official PlayStation Blog? Is that really so much better than 50? No, it is not. :P

+ twooh on September 29th, 2008 at 4:08 pm said:

@109 dipic

I know life isn’t fair. But obviously Sony isn’t either. I bet you have a Beta code though, right? Right. Thought so.

I’m not the only one who complained. 50 codes for 14 million PS3 owners to fight over? Seems like a fair number to me. *sarcasm*

+ ratcheat305 on September 29th, 2008 at 4:09 pm said:

can i have a beta key

+ twooh on September 29th, 2008 at 4:10 pm said:

ADD:

And as for a better way to do it.

Why not randomly pick users? Instead of giving it to the lazy @ home readers who have more than enough time to sit and read all day (hitting the refresh).

+ stewey on September 29th, 2008 at 4:11 pm said:

WOO-HOO! I got one!

+ snowglobe on September 29th, 2008 at 4:11 pm said:

Words can’t describe how poorly this beta was handled. LBP is off my buy list, I’ll spend the money on gears of war 2 instead.

Learn to do betas, Sony.

@109: Anything is better than the abysmal treasurehunt system they decided on. Should’ve stuck it on the store or had an online code generator.

Hopes of a decent Killzone 2/Resistance 2 beta are out the window now too. shame, great titles going to be ruined by a pointless picking method.

+ dipic on September 29th, 2008 at 4:17 pm said:

@112: First of all, no I do not have a beta code. While I would really like one I realize that not everyone will be able to get one, and that could very well likely include you and I. Beta codes are limited, only a very small percentage of people get in. That’s how it is for all games; it’s not just Sony’s policy.

Second of all, they only gave out 50 this time, not 50 in total. There are plenty of other sites that have and will continue to give them out, mostly in the way of first come first serve. However, like I said, if you think there’s a better way for them to give them out, why don’t you suggest it? Just complaining about something doesn’t get it fixed.

+ Charliesdad on September 29th, 2008 at 4:18 pm said:

Got it! woo-hoo! Now, how do I redeem it? and @50 Obama.

+ MFRICHARD on September 29th, 2008 at 4:19 pm said:

@110
I Know So Far Ive Gotten These Messages
HTTP 400 Bad Request
Server Error
Server Busy
Invalid Host
And Page Cant Be Found

Hopefully There Not All Gone Yet..

+ ftwrthtx on September 29th, 2008 at 4:19 pm said:

Just got the code in my email.

Thanks Jeff!

+ ftwrthtx on September 29th, 2008 at 4:20 pm said:

@118
Reddem it in account management under transaction management >> Redeem PLAYSTATION®Network Card or Promotion Code

+ mendezgato on September 29th, 2008 at 4:21 pm said:

hey jeff how about houston we still waiting for you to come

+ twooh on September 29th, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

@117 dipic

I recommended a better way, so did others. Sony is bad for the way they did this.

Also, I saw the other site and how they did it. But you had to be a UK resident to obtain one of those, and couldn’t even get onto the site cause of the massive flood of people trying for a code. That shows you how many people wanted one.

Idk. Do as you will Sony. You have already lost a few sales from me already (siren, R&C: QFB) because the PSN only and the way you do things.

+ dipic on September 29th, 2008 at 4:23 pm said:

@119: I have a firefox addon that’s been reloading the page every 10 seconds. I’ve gotten to the page a couple times now. Basically they were giving away 1000 codes to the first 1000 people to reply to the post. Last time the page loaded for me there were 1134 posts so it seems they are all gone.

+ Patwiic3 on September 29th, 2008 at 4:23 pm said:

Too late :( Thx 4 the gifts anyway :)

+ MFRICHARD on September 29th, 2008 at 4:23 pm said:

Omgz It Up
From The Site
“You must be 18 years of age or older
You must be a residence of North America or Canada
You must have a PLAYSTATION┬«Network Account”

+ JMJ15777 on September 29th, 2008 at 4:24 pm said:

Come on let my luck shine

+ dipic on September 29th, 2008 at 4:28 pm said:

@123: Oh please, you’re not going to buy LBP now just because you don’t like Sony’s handling of the beta code distribution? It’s out in like 3 weeks, and you’ll be able to play it whenever you want. Why do you *need* to get into beta so bad? Everyone wants to play the game. Be patient. How about all the games that don’t have betas? Be thankful there is one and that you still have a chance to get in. Christ, it’s not like you paid for something and you aren’t getting it.

+ Kamahl on September 29th, 2008 at 4:29 pm said:

lost this one but got one on the official LBP site :)

+ BHard on September 29th, 2008 at 4:30 pm said:

That’s so great… I hope you guys decide to bring it down a little furthur to Miami. I’m sure you’ll get an amazing turn out too. But that’s great. Jeff keep up the great work my friend.

+ twooh on September 29th, 2008 at 4:34 pm said:

@128 dipic

Why you so worried about my posts? Worry about yourself man. That’s what grown people do. I don’t need you to preach to me.
I will not buy LBP because the way Sony did the beta codes. Not because I didn’t get one. I didn’t get a Socom Beta code on my own, but i’ll still buy that.

I do what I want.

+ canguy69 on September 29th, 2008 at 4:34 pm said:

Kamahl, I posted early on the official LBP as well, did you get your code yet?

+ brpnagger on September 29th, 2008 at 4:34 pm said:

Just want to say thanks Jeff this was awesome. The first time I have attended an event like this in a long time ( last time was e3 in atlanta way back when :) ) My kids enjoyed Little Big Planet and Buzz. They loved the BBQ and free Buzz Shirts. We didnt win any of the door prizes ( really wanted that psp ) but we had a great time. We are pictured in orlandoevent16, orlandoevent15, orlandoevent14, and orlandoevent08 pictures. Enjoying the LBP beta and will definatley attend the Dew Tour! Jeah!! We went out and bought Buzz after the event it was that fun!! Cant wait for the next meet up.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 30th, 2008 at 9:39 am said:

Thanks for coming out, I remember you!

+ rexor0717 on September 29th, 2008 at 4:35 pm said:

I need a LBP beta code!

+ ModnarKing on September 29th, 2008 at 4:36 pm said:

beta code 4 me PLZ!!! im been watching lbp forever and i really really want a code PLEASE guys!!

+ Shiden or Combo on September 29th, 2008 at 4:37 pm said:

Only 50 codes? didn’t didn’t even stand a chance. It was sorta nice of you to hand out the excess though.

+ bwhitlat on September 29th, 2008 at 4:37 pm said:

Thanks Jeff and Sony for letting us get a chance at the 50 you had left over, most people wouldn’t even offer or think to offer the left overs to others. It is too bad not everyone will get a chance to win a code. Hopefully they’ll have Killzone2 and Resistance 2 beta keys also coming out for grabs soon, especially for those who don’t get into LBP.

+ MeltTech on September 29th, 2008 at 4:39 pm said:

Man this blow, literally! If it wasn’t for Hurricane Ike I’d went to Orlando. But there’s no gas here in Georgia, so I had to save for work….UGH. Then I send my email @ 6:10 p.m. est and he already has 100. And I still almost ran out of gas today on the way home from work. Gotta call my boss in the morning and beg for a ride.

+ Dr-MoHD on September 29th, 2008 at 4:43 pm said:

if some one have an extra code please send it to me :(
ID: Dr-MoHD

+ Aaron on September 29th, 2008 at 4:44 pm said:

w00t! got mine thanks Jeff! :)

+ Fallen_Guardian on September 29th, 2008 at 4:45 pm said:

I never get lucky when i comes to getting into betas, they seem to give them away when im at work… well atleast its only 3 weeks and 1 day before i get my hands on LBP anyways… would be nice to atleast have been able to try it out.

+ Ac3theone on September 29th, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

hope i get 1 i was number 43

+ PSPsGTghOost on September 29th, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

Im glad Im in the Japanese LBP beta. lol

I lil late to come here today.

+ ftown on September 29th, 2008 at 5:06 pm said:

I missed the beta, and my PS3 just bricked,
great, I live in fail land tonight.
wah, wah, waaaah.

+ oom9333 on September 29th, 2008 at 5:11 pm said:

i sent it! yay! Thank you guys!

+ Trustter on September 29th, 2008 at 5:21 pm said:

I love this blog. I love sony community. I love some products and I hate not been part of this wicked party right now.

Thanks Jeff for doing this I hope I can visit you guys next year. I live in Calgary – Canada but right now I am traveling in Barcelona.

Nice pics by the way.

Peace!

+ EvoAnubis on September 29th, 2008 at 5:23 pm said:

You would pull this the ONE day I actually had to be out and about.

+ ASyntheticChaos on September 29th, 2008 at 5:24 pm said:

Dang, I had to work. I missed out on both offers. We luckily I get my paycheck soon. Pre-order here I come.

+ buders on September 29th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

add me please!!

+ darkwonders on September 29th, 2008 at 5:35 pm said:

@Snowglobe

Seriously? You are going to be that childish over something that they are giving out for free? Grow up man. They don’t owe you anything. Heck, they didn’t even have to have this whole beta thing. It’s not their loss if you don’t buy their game. It’s your loss for picking such a stupid and selfish reason for not getting this game when it comes out…

+ X1rtam on September 29th, 2008 at 5:36 pm said:

Man, that is crazy. Hey, party at my house if we can get beta keys! I’ll let my house take the beating, as long as I’m granted a key and my PS3 stays intact. :)