PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

New Premium Theme Options on PlayStation Store

Ro Hernandez's Avatar + Posted by Ro Hernandez on Oct 08, 2008 // Digital Distribution Manager, Sony Network Entertainment

Bioshock_themePS3_ProofofConcept

The last time I posted it was regarding our special E3 section on the PlayStation Store. This time around I wanted to tell you about a new offering that you’ll see tomorrow. In addition to all the free themes you’ve already been getting and will continue to get on the PlayStation Store now, you’ll have the option to upgrade and purchase premium themes to customize the look of your PS3’s XMB.

We have linked up with a few partners, Smobile & Disruptive Media Publishers, to distribute premium themes from PlayStation Network. They have content offerings that range in type from NCAA College licenses to beauties on the beach to original cartoons and anime. These themes were created specifically for the PS3 and have special backgrounds, XMB icons and, in some cases, sounds. Here is a sample of some of the new Themes:

screen004 UNC-2

We have created a new “Premium Themes” section under Themes & Wallpapers for you to easily access this content. Also, for each theme, there is preview option that allows you to view images of the theme prior to making your decision.

We plan to offer approximately 6-10 new “Premium Themes” a month. So be sure to check back often to browse the newest in premium theme content.

High-Voltage-2

Have a good rest of the week and keep a look out for the new offering dropping tomorrow!

PAGE 1 5 6 7

+ vrillusions on October 9th, 2008 at 7:12 am said:

I still have the default theme because I like the animation in the background. I’ve downloaded others but they never stay on too long.

And like others have said. PAYING for themes? really? Although I guess I can see it for sports teams that are really strict with their licensing policies. Although that doesn’t stop you from just looking for themes online.

+ MizzouStud on October 9th, 2008 at 7:24 am said:

#300, I think you may be right . . . :(

+ eclipsed4utoo on October 9th, 2008 at 7:57 am said:

I am fine with this. I would love a South Carolina Gamecocks theme. I’ve searched most of the sites online and only found one….and it wasn’t too good. I could create my own or just buy one that Sony/Smobile/Disruptive Media creates. The NCAA doesn’t license teams logos and likenesses for free. These companies will have to pay the NCAA to use any of the teams logos. I understand this which is why I don’t mind paying. I guess other people around here are too oblivious to how the world really works.

+ Chowder24 on October 9th, 2008 at 8:25 am said:

can we get a florida state university theme pleeeeeeeeeeease ill pay 1.99!!

+ zeke2040 on October 9th, 2008 at 9:02 am said:

oh man, i can’t wait to try this out.. this is an extra plus… thanks for the update as well, cause otherwise i wouldn’t have known nothin about this… thanks a million

+ mhenderson83 on October 9th, 2008 at 9:29 am said:

All you whiners and complainers are being ridiculous. Are you being forced to buy premium themes? Perhaps some people would like some of these themes.

Don’t get mad just because YOU can’t afford them. Not how it works…

Were you forced to buy a PS3? Of course not – YOU WANTED ONE. Imagine that!

+ madtyger on October 9th, 2008 at 10:07 am said:

That’s a great idea, as long as you keep the themes high quality and original. I can’t see paying for a theme that is similar to one that is already out. I think all the premium themes should include sounds and rotating wallpapers as well.

+ TLSBill on October 9th, 2008 at 10:19 am said:

I bought an Xbox last month. I wanted to play Halo & a few other exclusives & found a new Halo one ½ price so I went for it. I was flabbergasted that they charge for backgrounds & themes & profile pictures and I actually laughed at the foolishness of it when I saw it. I’m not laughing as hard today….

While I’m sure all of us see that adding the option to for paid-for themes is not bad in itself, the law of unintended consequences will surely come into play and that is what most people are worried about.

One obvious consequence is that new themes available for free will become scarce, very scarce. Instead of being seen as promotional items (as SirRadG said) they will be seen as revenue sources as $60 for a game & more $ for DLC is just not enough… Take the current free themes on Live as a warning. Coca-Cola & KFC is just about it, anything gaming related is gonna cost you…

Profile pictures are the next obvious step. Rather than add a few dozen 1k images themselves, PSN will charge you $.80 for 5 just like elsewhere… Almost a buck for a few 1k images, it’s sad actually… optionally sad maybe, but still so very sad…

+ InfinitiProject on October 9th, 2008 at 10:25 am said:

LOL @ these spoiled kids. Think about it: you have a $300-$600 console and yet ya’ll are complaining about $1-$2 themes…. either ya’ll are too cheap or your mommy & daddy bought your system.

+ grimgard on October 9th, 2008 at 11:21 am said:

@all the negitiveity surrounding paying for premium themes all I have to say is get a job. If you are to cheap to pay for content then you are in for a shock. nothing in this life is free and everything has its price, be it monitary or otherwise. It costs money to run a game company and if you want free then you will get lame content. You get what you pay for in this life so deal with it and cough up some cash you cheap pucks.

+ ShadyDa1NOnly87 on October 9th, 2008 at 12:16 pm said:

Will there be a New York Yankee theme? I hope so i am a big New York Yankee fan=].

+ herb420 on October 9th, 2008 at 12:23 pm said:

I am skeptical, but don’t count me out completely. I especially liked when you said girls on a beach ;)

Also I really like what the guy said in one of those first posts, about more or custom avatars. That would be bad@$$.

+ NEJI64 on October 9th, 2008 at 12:53 pm said:

i’m about to say Sony spoiled us a little to much. its good enough that Sony dont charge us to play online and other stuff thats free and on other consoles you have to pay for it. its not like you have to buy it but the way some of yall say no about it is crazy. its like yall spit back in there faces when they try to add a new feature. yall need to watch yall lips before yall talk and which may make them to rethink about charging us for the PSN period

+ NEJI64 on October 9th, 2008 at 1:01 pm said:

but i hate to say it but i’m sorry Sony i dout this will work when there are Playstation sites around the web that offer the same type of Premium themes for free

+ GamingAngel on October 9th, 2008 at 1:15 pm said:

Can we make sure that not all the themes have hot girls in them? Maybe include some hot guys? Think of your female gamers with these themes please!
Trina
GamingAngels.com

+ flesh.impin on October 9th, 2008 at 1:48 pm said:

At least you don’t see custom themes on X360.. there are a few notable websites that have quite good free PS3 themes, not that I don’t find the Premium Themes attractive.. :)

+ Letters2Kay on October 9th, 2008 at 2:14 pm said:

How do you choose the theme designers for these themes? I’ve been an avid designer for quite some time, and I think my stuff is this good or even better. I’d love to stop giving my creations away to (ungrateful) users for free and actually see something back for it. See my work on:

SEARCH: Daniel Keen

+ moe24 on October 9th, 2008 at 2:29 pm said:

LMFAO! ahahah Sony kills me. :) I bet money that home is getting delayed again. You guys should have just shut ur mouths about home, until ur actually very close to finishing it. I know its a little off topic but wow Sony cracks me up

+ Toadzter17 on October 9th, 2008 at 2:35 pm said:

Bad idea. Try rewarding the community for pooling together and creating excellent themes. Maybe a contest or some sort of monthly/weekly recognition?

+ Rhez on October 9th, 2008 at 4:14 pm said:

Oh no! I’ve downloaded too many themes as it is. I need a setting that changes my theme daily or something. The only thing I hope for is clear preview pics of the themes before purchasing them. Hate to buy a theme just because it sounds cool then find it’s difficult to see.

+ nick48 on October 9th, 2008 at 6:21 pm said:

LOL, wow Sony again trying to rip their customers off.

+ shamsway on October 9th, 2008 at 8:03 pm said:

PLEASE.. Univ. of Kentucky theme to go along with the others :)

I guarantee more purchases of that than any of the other collegiate themes…

+ angel27 on October 9th, 2008 at 10:01 pm said:

Don’t Buy it’s all Sh.. U can GET FREE themes at allps3themes.com

+ eclipsed4utoo on October 10th, 2008 at 5:37 am said:

@321 (nick48)

How is this ripping customers off? Ripping customers off would be FORCING them to pay an outrageous price for something that should be lower or free. Similar themes will be available all over the internet for FREE.

I love to see how many people just complain because they like to complain.

+ Conrad Max on October 10th, 2008 at 5:44 am said:

I think the response to this news has been very funny and maybe a little scary.

Funny because so many people have reacted in the negative like Wall Street traders panicking because of a hic-cup on the tickertape.

Scary because when they are offered more choices (more freedom), some are afraid to accept the new “gift.”

We now have the choice of downloading themes for free or to pay for them.

Just because some might not want to pay for a theme does not make the opportunity to pay for a theme bad. It is a matter of choices.

PSN has actually empowered us with the added ability to make our own choice as to whether or not to have a theme, whether we will aquire one for free or to whether we will spend a few cents on getting one.

As Devo once said: “Freedom of choice is what we’ve got. Freedom from choice is what we want.” Do you want the ability to choose, or are you going to reject it?

+ nxp3 on October 10th, 2008 at 9:04 am said:

That’s rediculous…this stuff use to be free and now you’re slapping the word premium on it and charging us for it? Oh man…just like getting QORE for demos, this is headed towards M$. Lets not do this.

+ nxp3 on October 10th, 2008 at 9:09 am said:

You know what I hate, people who say, well don’t buy it then or you have a choice. The choice people make affects the outcome, it just doesn’t split into two and you continue on your path and I continue on mine. There is only 1 path, when you choose to pay it affects all of us what’s available for free. People do not have enough resource to be creating something for free AND for pay. They’re going to create something they can get paid on!!! Wouldn’t you do that if you had the choice? I rest my case.

+ Rhez on October 10th, 2008 at 2:40 pm said:

Ok so I was a little disappointed that there wasn’t a good preview for the themes. That said I did purchase three that I ended up liking very much. Maybe you guys could add a preview feature that would show a clear picture of the background/icons.

+ artofwar420 on October 10th, 2008 at 7:25 pm said:

Hopefully this pay model doesn’t extend to other things like “Premium Videos” or “Premium Demos”, that would be very crappy.

Themes, premium themes, that’s ok, but it’s pushing it.

+ RonnyBoi on October 12th, 2008 at 6:56 pm said:

can we exchange themes? i bought the techno one and i think it stinks so i wanna change it

+ nxp3 on October 13th, 2008 at 5:51 am said:

RonnyBoi | October 12th, 2008 at 6:56 pm

————
Can you trade downloadable games, no. that’s the beauty of DLC, once you buy it, it’s yours forever and you can’t trade or sell it. I mean you could always enter your friends account info and download it to yourse and he do the same, but that also putting your credit info at risk.

+ nxp3 on October 13th, 2008 at 6:05 am said:

Krispow | October 8th, 2008 at 1:19 pm

I also have to say PASS on paid-for theme content. There are already many websites that offer user-created premium-quality theme content on nearly every subject you can imagine. In addition, users such as m0dus regularly create theme content that is beyond amazing — m0dus releases easily surpass anything released thus far through the PSN network.

For interested parties, I heartily recommend checking out the Official PS3 Custom Theme Thread at:
————
I totally agree, theme creation, premium ones are created free by fans and for sony to do that is like saying, we don’t want your themes, we’re creating our own and charging for it. It’s like a disservice to the fans and it makes Sony look bad for trying to nickel and dime people. I will never have the need to download these, but I hate sony a little bit more every time they pull some stupid stunts.

+ Loki_d20 on October 13th, 2008 at 2:36 pm said:

Regarding the Elf Theme, can anyone official confirm the artist/creator and their association with World of Warcraft?

The icons shown are the World of Warcraft Burning Crusade logo with some modifications to it. Is this theme provided by Blizzard or with the permission of Blizzard?

+ sainraja on October 18th, 2008 at 11:17 pm said:

I really hope you guys see this comment because I think I have a great idea.

Would it be possible for you guys to implement a system where you guys can pick the best community made theme and put it up on the store for FREE?

PAGE 1 5 6 7