PS4-The Order

Resistance: Retribution & Resistance 2 Interoperability and Then Some

John Garvin's Avatar + Posted by John Garvin on Oct 09, 2008 // Creative Director, Bend Studios

Hi everyone, my name is John Garvin, co-director of SCEA’s Bend Studio, and I wanted to give everyone a quick update on Resistance: Retribution. Chris Reese (my co-director at the studio) and I are in Tokyo this week presenting Resistance: Retribution at TGS. After our game was revealed at E3 in July, we got a lot of questions about connectivity between Resistance: Retribution and Resistance 2 on the PS3. We’re pretty excited to announce that yes, we will be providing additional game play and features if you connect R:R to R2! Here’s how it works.

connect1

Connect R:R to R2 using a USB cable. Go into the R2 options screen, and select “Infect your PSP!” That’s all it takes.

Infected mode lasts until you power down your PSP. So, what is “Infected mode”?

connect2

Infected mode provides an alternate story within our alternate history. While in prison for desertion, Grayson is recruited by Specter Lieutenant David LaSalle (from the R2 storyline) and is infected with a mutated version of the Chimeran virus … a different version of the virus that infects Nathan Hale.

While playing in “infected” mode, Grayson wears a Specter uniform and has glowing Chimeran eyes. He gets to use one of the new weapons from R2: the HE .44 Magnum, which fires explosive rounds that can be triggered remotely. He has regenerative health and no longer needs to look for health packs. He can breathe underwater, allowing him to reach hidden areas that he could not reach before. And we’ve added another whole class of Intel that are hidden throughout the levels. Collecting all of the “infected” intel will unlock another R2 weapon, the Plasma Grenades.

Another cool feature we’re including is something we call PSP Plus!

connect3

Activated from the R2 options screen, PSP Plus! allows you to play Resistance: Retribution using your Dualshock 3 wireless controller. We remove aim assist and increase the challenge level of the game. We even support the vibration function of the controller. If you’re playing at home and want to experience Resistance: Retribution in an all new way, this is it.

That’s it for this update. In the near future we’ll have some news on our multiplayer game. Stay tuned.

132 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ XxBigP123xX on October 9th, 2008 at 3:04 am said:

So bought.

+ Pesico on October 9th, 2008 at 3:12 am said:

Wow! This is awesome. Can’t wait for R2 and I can’t wait for Resistance Retribution.

+ Richlando on October 9th, 2008 at 3:17 am said:

R2 was a must have day one for me, hadn’t decided about Retribution..thanks for making it a must have day one purchase for me with the news I just read.Very nice and I can’t wait to try this out..thank you!!

+ Delriach on October 9th, 2008 at 3:18 am said:

This is very impressive. More games need to support this feature.

+ skynidas on October 9th, 2008 at 3:19 am said:

awesome

+ Morphine16 on October 9th, 2008 at 3:20 am said:

Very creative, cant wait for my R2, already preordered the Collector`s. Any word on the beta?

+ AranhaHunter on October 9th, 2008 at 3:24 am said:

This is pretty cool, I might buy this when I get my PSP, any news on a Syphon Filter for the PS3? :D

+ bleucheese7 on October 9th, 2008 at 3:28 am said:

totally buying R:R and R2.
maybe i will get the new psp brite, my psp-100 is kind of clunky.
YES FOR PSP+.
I THANK YOU SONY! :D

+ AdversaryofGod on October 9th, 2008 at 3:29 am said:

FINALLY!
A PSP game that makes a good use of the PS3!!
And now I want every games like that!
And I want PS3 games that have support for the PSP. I’m not talking about remote play, I’m talking about real time stuff. Please. I remember leveling a chocobo on my PocketStation and unlocking items for FinalFantasy VIII.

Many Thanx Resistance Team!

+ KingOfHearts on October 9th, 2008 at 3:30 am said:

Cool will be seeing this in other games as well?

+ Stoffinator on October 9th, 2008 at 3:32 am said:

I was going to buy Resistance: Retribution, but after a recent hands on with it. I probably won’t be getting it. :-[ Problem is not the game as it is the PSP itself. The lack of a second analog stick just makes FPS and TPS horrible. I HATE having to use the face buttons as the up and down on these games.

And judging by the line of people playing it (equals no one) its probably a good sign. Which is a shame, I really really wanted Resistance: Retribution.

But glad to hear at least that there is some connection between the PS3 version and PSP. More games need to support such features. But the game does look awesome guys.

+ thor on October 9th, 2008 at 3:33 am said:

So you need to have R2 to make use of PSP plus? That seems a bit pointless.

+ nickjd331 on October 9th, 2008 at 3:38 am said:

Although i really like the idea of linking ps3/psp, some of the ideas seem a bit odd.

Infecting the psp. It seems he content is already in the game, you just need R2 to use it. Then using the Dualshock 3 requiring a ps3 also seems a bit odd.

Why not if you have retribution, allow it to show a map/ammo etc for R2.

Anyway, it still sounds interesting and I look forward to trying it out!

+ marcindpol on October 9th, 2008 at 3:40 am said:

yes lol, screw psp!

+ WHAT on October 9th, 2008 at 3:49 am said:

I like the PS3 to PSP connect logo.

+ kspraydad on October 9th, 2008 at 3:50 am said:

Neat trick and all but I fear this will be another ‘gee whiz’ SONY initiative that doesn’t get supported much…Remote Play Games anyone?

+ Stoffinator on October 9th, 2008 at 3:56 am said:

@16

I agree with you for the most part. But allowing you to use the DS3 to play Resistance: Retribution on the PSP is a great idea. It is horrible with out the second analog stick IMO on the PSP. This may just get me to buy it, but pity anyone who can’t do this.

+ Tabooger on October 9th, 2008 at 4:00 am said:

Is it just me or does this PSP+ thing kinda defeat the purpose of the PSP – To be portable? I mean, it means you need to be sitting next to your PS3. Why not just make the game for the PS3 then?

+ kspraydad on October 9th, 2008 at 4:06 am said:

@17…

The could have put a $5 usb BT dongle in with RR and had the DS3 work directly perhaps?

Don’t know if this functionality is firmware or software based but if firmware perhaps it would become ubiquitous. But you are loosing the portability of the PSP and a USB BT Dongle would solve that.

+ firehahahahahaha on October 9th, 2008 at 4:06 am said:

It’s good to see some conectivty support between the two systems, and I hope that Resistance 2 will also have some special conectivity of it’s own. Keep it up guys!

+ JimmyHACK on October 9th, 2008 at 4:07 am said:

Very cool… (Howabout R2 beta)

+ DawnOfAshes on October 9th, 2008 at 4:09 am said:

woah thats awesome! cant wait to try that!:)

+ MeltTech on October 9th, 2008 at 4:13 am said:

This is all I need to have reason to buy a PSP 3000. Now if I could only get into that R2 beta, I’d be uber happy. Sony totally blew the beta oppurtunity for so many loyal fans with LBP.

I think Insomniac is more in tune with the players, and they’re sole reason for a beta is a beta. Not a publicity stunt like Sony pulled with LBP. Who lets USAToday.com give out beta unless your sole reasoning is to make sure everyone in America knows about it?

+ Strider2K99 on October 9th, 2008 at 4:13 am said:

Very cool and interesting ideas. I hope more developers do something similar, especially PSP Plus.

+ Krippler on October 9th, 2008 at 4:19 am said:

EVERY developer should be doing these things especially using the ds3 with the PSP AWESOME! THANK YOU Resistance Team!

+ Fersis on October 9th, 2008 at 4:21 am said:

Yeah ,finally a reason to get a PSP
PSP-3000 here i come !!!
I love the Resitance lore.

+ neo_bahamut on October 9th, 2008 at 4:21 am said:

Not a big fan of FPS; but after finishing Resistance with my friends I think I might buy this one.

+ lifeRPGs on October 9th, 2008 at 4:30 am said:

Beta news? When is it starting? When are you giving out keys?

+ C-h-a-o-s on October 9th, 2008 at 4:38 am said:

wowzers, good time to be a resistance fan + PSP owner. I can’t wait for both titles. I hope R:R will have some sort of Collectors Edition, PSP games only ever get bundles but not collectors edition, what about the people who already have 2+ PSP’s don’t we get some sort of something special?

+ Johnbot5k on October 9th, 2008 at 4:44 am said:

AMAZING!

+ mrnagy88 on October 9th, 2008 at 4:53 am said:

That’s pretty cool, way to add value to the PSP game :-p

+ Prezhulio on October 9th, 2008 at 5:03 am said:

holy crap. like a dream come true. way to go bend

+ Chaosdnc on October 9th, 2008 at 5:05 am said:

Wow more nice news keep it coming.

+ Daver on October 9th, 2008 at 5:16 am said:

Thats a great support! cant wait for these 2 games

+ HanSolo on October 9th, 2008 at 5:29 am said:

this is great, i cant wait to buy the game for my psp

+ Jezer29 on October 9th, 2008 at 5:42 am said:

This idea is soooo hot.. Not only is this a exclusive game.. But This is something that will never be done on the 360 cause the 360 has no hand held system.. I suggest more first party games try to do this more often.. Its a feature the differentiates the 2 consoles..This is next gen.. Cant wait

+ GGCAN on October 9th, 2008 at 5:42 am said:

Wow, thanks John.

I have mine on pre-order now.

+ r-nice on October 9th, 2008 at 5:44 am said:

Damn that PSP Plus sounds sick. Way to bring something new to the table.

+ xcalibar25 on October 9th, 2008 at 5:47 am said:

Now, this is the type of unit interoperability the PS3 and the PSP need. Excellent work guys!

+ bxnytony on October 9th, 2008 at 5:53 am said:

This sux ass considering that those of ass with the fat psp won’t be able to utilize this feature even though we’ve been promised something like it since the ps3 debuted. Thanks again sony for ignoring your fans who supported it from the beginning and bought the psp from day one only to have u guys completely ignore the people who shelled out $250 bucks for it.

+ VenomX on October 9th, 2008 at 5:59 am said:

Awesome. I can’t wait for these two games to come out.

+ jazzyrider on October 9th, 2008 at 6:04 am said:

Its about time a game takes advantage of the PSP. Last time I did something like this was on the GameCube and the GBA. Now my $$ for the PS3/PSP is coming to fruition!

+ ISEMAN on October 9th, 2008 at 6:11 am said:

This is sweet, but hopefully you guys can figure out a way to do it without the USB cables?

+ womfalcs3 on October 9th, 2008 at 6:15 am said:

Hale, as an infected human, is able to breathe under water???? This is on top of the health regeneration.

I don’t remember water scenes in R1, but he did regenerate his health due to the infection.

Nice reveal there.

+ Ghostm on October 9th, 2008 at 6:16 am said:

Pretty cool stuff!

+ DG on October 9th, 2008 at 6:29 am said:

so cool

+ Nynja on October 9th, 2008 at 6:42 am said:

I’m sorry but if the PS3 is required to use the DS3 with PSP, doesn’t this just kill the portability of the unit?

Too bad, was a nice idea at first…

+ Ghostm on October 9th, 2008 at 6:43 am said:

So far nothing amazing out of TGS from Sony. M$ is kicking some major ass. They already have a solid release date for their new OS/avatar system. It’s been 2 years and many delays for PS Home and still no solid release date. M$ is always 10 steps ahead of us. DAMNIT!!! To put icing on the cake, now they have Tekken 6.

+ walls99 on October 9th, 2008 at 6:53 am said:

OMFG. This is pure genius. Allowing us to play PSP games on the TV.

Can someone confirm if the original PSP (not slim or brite) can be used for this.

+ squirrel448 on October 9th, 2008 at 6:59 am said:

Sorry, walls99, I’m nearly positive you will need the PSP Slim or newer to use this feature.

I am totally getting both of these. Definitely wasn’t expecting these awesome features.

PAGE 1 2 3