Uncharted 4

Oct 09

Oct 09

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars: Available Today on PSN!

Corey Davis's Avatar Posted by Programmer, Psyonix Studios

ss07

I’m pleased to announce that Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars will be available today on the PLAYSTATION Network! I can say with some certainty that we are the first Unreal Engine 3 powered physics-based vehicle arena sports game available for PSN and we also might just have set the record for longest game title ever! Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars lets you pick from seven cars and drops you into a high-flying, lightning-fast game of vehicle-based soccer. It also features Trophy support, custom music tracks, and YouTube support for uploading match replays.

We’re really excited about getting online and playing you guys. One thing you might not have read much about is our extensive online feature set. If you’re the competitive type, we have a full-fledged ranking and stats tracking system with scoreboards, and our matching system intelligently groups up players of similar skill to give you the best online experience possible. As your skill improves you can climb up the rankings and compete for the top spots on the scoreboards and maybe even win some prizes – we’ve got some great ideas for tournaments, but more on that in the weeks to come.

If you’re more of a group player, we also have party system in which you can register a team with a unique name and then invite your PSN buddies to join it. You can then play together in ranked team matches and compete for the top spots on the Team scoreboards. We support four player split-screen both locally and online, so if you and three of your buddies want to take on the world with your own team, you can do that too!

ss05

We know how much you guys want more Trophies, so we made sure to include some good ones for you. They’re split between single-player and online and I’ll talk about just a few and how they fit into the game.

Bronze:
Champion – Beat the Tournament Mode
You can acquire this trophy by completing the tournament mode, a single player challenge that pits you against harder and harder groups of bots in Battleball matches. Sometimes you play alone, sometimes you have bots on your side, and sometimes you even have to start the match down a few points!

Hot Shot – Achieve the Most Valuable Player Award in an online ranked match.
After each match, we give out awards based on how each player did. The Most Valuable Player generally does a little bit of everything – scores goals, blocks shots, assists other players’ shots, and maybe even demolishes a few of the opposing team in the process!

Showoff – Score a goal while reversing in an online ranked match
To win this trophy, you’re going to have to learn how to shoot backwards! This can be a real challenge, especially in the competitive online environment, but it’s a lot of fun to try and you can even save your replay and upload it to YouTube!

Silver:
All Star – Earn All the Stars in Single-Player Mode
This trophy is your reward for completing all of our single-player challenges. Whether it’s playing a game with a cardboard box instead of a ball, soaring high through the air to collect floating canisters, or scoring as many goals as possible in a short time, we’ve created a lot of fun challenges that will hone your skills for online ranked play.

Gold:
Striker – Score 500 Goals in Online Ranked Matches
All I can say is this: anyone with this trophy is a Battle-Cars master.

ss08 ss04 ss10

The last thing I’ll talk about is our replay system. Countless times in development we’d play a match and have something spectacular happen and wish we had an easy way to view it again and share it with friends. This inspired us to create a really powerful replay recording tool that you can use in-game to view, edit, and upload replays to share with other players.

Here’s how it works: After each match you’re given the option to save a replay of the entire game. From our replay manager you can view a list of your saved replays at any time. When you select one, you can choose to simply view it again, export it to YouTube, or export it to the XMB. When viewing or exporting, we give you full control of camera with the ability to focus on the ball or specific players, change angles, or go into slow-motion – just about anything you can think of, you can do it. On top of that, when you’re exporting, we let you record clips however you want so you can do your editing right in-game! Of course, if you prefer, you can just export the whole thing to the XMB and edit it yourself with video editing software.

We also have a forum where you can watch for news on organized tournaments, ask us questions, post links to replays you’ve uploaded, or look for teammates. We’d love for you to check it out if you’re interested.

The game is available today on the PLAYSTATION Network Store for $14.99 and we’re making a demo available today as well, so please give it a try and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Add Your Own

MidnightBlues said:

October 9th, 1:02 pm

Very cool game I will probably pick this up!

$9.99? is that how much it will cost?

MidnightBlues said:

October 9th, 1:06 pm

oh ouch $14.99? darn it was so close to being the perfect game for me! honestly it looks like a game worth $10 but oh well I guess I will grab it anyhow…not this week though.

SuperDuckWC said:

October 9th, 1:08 pm

Thanks for your fast answer Corey…a last question :)

What happens when during a match 4vs4 someone goes offline, the match finish to 4vs3?

In one hour I bought it for sure! It’s really this kind of game is missing on PSN… hope to see more fun games soon!

15$ and if you brought new maps in the future for free…it’s cool! Thanks guys!

Corey Davis's Avatar

Corey Davis said:

October 9th, 1:13 pm

It\’s a little complex to answer so bear with me:

In *most* cases you will finish the game like you said as a 4v3. The caveat here is that we are a peer-to-peer game and if the host drops the game cannot continue. We handle this situation in a special way, though: the host receives a loss for the game and TWO losses worth of rating drop (we use an ELO system like in chess or World of Warcraft where your rating goes up or down based on your wins and losses and the rating of whoever you\’re playing), and the other players in the game don\’t receive a win or a loss, it\’s as if the game never happened.

In the standard scenario where one person drops and the host is still in the game, the person who left/disconnected receives an automatic loss and two hits to their rating as described above, and the match continues to its conclusion unaffected.

The other important thing to note is you do not know if you are the host or not, as to avoid people gaming the system. When playing online you select your team size/map preferences and get matched up with other players with no knowledge of who\’s hosting.

Sorry for the long answer but I hope that is sufficiently explanatory.

JustVashu said:

October 9th, 1:08 pm

I’m very interested. will try the demo and check it out. does it support split screen?

Also, to sony. please make so that we can buy stuff with international credit card. It a PITA as it is now.

SuperDuckWC said:

October 9th, 1:09 pm

@JustVashu

Yes it supports splitscreen

JustVashu said:

October 9th, 1:10 pm

@SuperDuckWC
Thanks, this sold the game to me.

icarus69 said:

October 9th, 1:11 pm

Looks really good!
Have been keeping my eyes on this game ever since the announcement, great job!

Dumb question:
Could you give us (Europeans) an approximate release? (Let’s say November?, Winter?, 2009?)

In the mean time I’ll be playing the demo, ’till EU PSS get the game.

Corey Davis's Avatar

Corey Davis said:

October 9th, 1:21 pm

Not a dumb question at all :)

We REALLY want to get it to you guys, there\’s just a lot for a small developer like us to do to release in Europe, especially self-publishing. Right now I can say we are shooting for November but I can\’t give any guarantees on that. We\’ll definitely let you guys know as soon as we have a set date.

SuperDuckWC said:

October 9th, 1:14 pm

@JustVashu
up to 4 players :)

SuperDuckWC said:

October 9th, 1:26 pm

Nice! Thanks for the answer!

icarus69 said:

October 9th, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the update, Corey!

I’ll make sure to pick it up the moment it’s hits Europe ;)

TheGuardian1973 said:

October 9th, 1:30 pm

YOU HAD ME AT Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars!!! :D

DawnOfAshes said:

October 9th, 1:38 pm

can i borrow you 15$ ? :)

jack_burt0n said:

October 9th, 1:46 pm

Will def check the demo looks great well done guys. Its great to hear from the smaller ppl self publishing, I will support the cause :)

WHAT said:

October 9th, 1:54 pm

It’s that game that Harry Potter plays with cars! What will they think up next?

erico316 said:

October 9th, 1:55 pm

this is a question and i want real answer will u guys keep supporting the psn with new games?

psyXcho said:

October 9th, 1:57 pm

too expensive for my cheap bum…

I’ll reserve final judgment for the demo though. Will definitely be picking up the $2.99 game though…

GGCAN said:

October 9th, 2:07 pm

Thanks Corey…I’ll check this out.

uumai said:

October 9th, 2:21 pm

I wasn’t really paying much attention to this game, but when I did see it, it looked like a lot of fun.

Although I feel the price is a little expensive right now (after having bought Wipeout HD) it’s definately on my list to buy. Maybe though the demo will sway me…

So that leads me on to, thanks.
It’s really good to see that not only is an online/offline demo available, but even more so the fact you are on here answering so many people’s comments – it’s rare to see this many replies.

As I am in UK, officially, I have to wait for the title anyway but will be downloading the US demo asap.

Thanks again for the good work, keep it up.

Shadowlancer said:

October 9th, 2:35 pm

This game looks good. I’ll definitely try it out via the demo.

InfinitiProject said:

October 9th, 2:39 pm

Where is all of this new stuff at!? Qore’s not here, new themes are not here, SARPBC isn’t here… what gives!? This stuff was supposed to be here HOURS ago and now it’s 5:39pm EST!

babybluedb said:

October 9th, 2:44 pm

this reminds me of a tricked out zero gravity version of hot wheels it looks seriously addicting

chrisrhymz said:

October 9th, 3:17 pm

this game looks very kool/fun definately gonna get this later!

findaway said:

October 9th, 3:17 pm

I didnt even know this game was coming to the store, it looks cool. I’ll be sure to try the demo.

The only thing i may be concerned about if i like it is, how many people will be playing online..

srmej said:

October 9th, 3:25 pm

Thank you Corey Davis For The reply My Girlfriend And I Will Definitely Be buying This Awesome Game. Definitely Worth $15. Maybe You Should Have raised The Price To $20 LOL. Just Kidding Don’t.

LeeSan420 said:

October 9th, 3:31 pm

It’s 4:30p MT, no update yet… nut since my dollar authentication has not been refunded yet instead of whipeout hd i guess i will be getting this :/

donporoto said:

October 9th, 3:38 pm

Revolt + Football = Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

anderpants said:

October 9th, 4:52 pm

Looks AWESOME! Love the fact that the online support is so robust! Can’t wait to download and play.

joodahr said:

October 9th, 5:30 pm

Supersonic acrobatic rocket-powered battle cars…isnt that out of Mary Poppins?

SuperDuckWC said:

October 9th, 5:36 pm

not many peoples who’s playing

Indifferent said:

October 9th, 5:52 pm

Just bought it. Really liking it so far!

BitterJeweler said:

October 9th, 8:45 pm

This Game is really fun! Tried the Demo, wanted more so I bought it. I think it will become addictive. i think it is totally worth the $15

Kamahl said:

October 9th, 10:19 pm

opinions people?

shooter0784 said:

October 9th, 10:32 pm

i dont kno if its lag or somethin but i got the 25 star trophy and its showin up in my trophy collection and everything

but when i goto look at my profile it doesnt show up in my recent trophies and the game doesnt show up on the list when i go to compare my collection to other people on my friend list

shooter0784 said:

October 9th, 10:36 pm

but im sure thats a minor fix in the long run other than that the game is challenging especially the stalker minigame

shooter0784 said:

October 9th, 10:50 pm

anyone experiencing this issue? im gonna test it on the 80 gig in my living room im using a 20 gig launch atm

Mirauder said:

October 9th, 11:08 pm

For some reason the trophies are there but you can’t compare then with anyone. Thought I’d bring it up. Fun game tho!!

Mirauder said:

October 9th, 11:09 pm

doh someone beat me to the punch above.

shooter0784 said:

October 9th, 11:16 pm

its cool dude the same tihng though right? thier in your collection but not in the compare trophies menu

shooter0784 said:

October 9th, 11:21 pm

waitin to see if theres somewhat of a minor fix like with the burnout trophy for 10 showtimes

but i dont think its that big of a deal cuz it is showing that i achieved it

mlanie10 said:

October 9th, 11:25 pm

The SARPBC trophies also are not counting toward your level and trophy totals. I also noticed that the trophy collection syncs every time you click on it and it only use to do that after you played a trophy supported game. Has anyone checked to see if you can still get trophies in other games?

shooter0784 said:

October 9th, 11:30 pm

i was gonna try and snatch an easy one from one of the other games i have but i cant find a simple one just to make sure its SARPBC itself

which 10 to 1 it prob is

i’ll wait and see what happens tomorrow and if they found out about it too

tnt419 said:

October 10th, 3:07 am

This game is so much fun. The online matches are addicting and the mini games will keep me busy trying to get 5 stars on all of them. This game kept me up a couple hours later than planned tonight.

Indifferent said:

October 10th, 3:19 am

@133: I’m getting the same glitch. Also my trophys syncronize everytime I clikc on “trophy collection” even though its only supposed to syncronize after you have played a trophy game but I clicked “trophy collection” 5 times in a row…hhmm….wierd little glitch

steve86uk said:

October 10th, 4:03 am

Hopefully it will come to Europe soon. Looks like it could be fun.

lifeRPGs said:

October 10th, 6:02 am

Of all reviews i have heard so far (regarding the demo and the full game), it’s only positive stuff. i can’t wait to see it on the european store.

doomcky420 said:

October 10th, 6:12 am

Yep I’m having same problems with trophies I’m earning them but keeps sync’ing and not saving to profile to add to collection. Any help?….oh btw played demo last night and bought was hard but very very fub cant wait to get into today hope they can patch the trophy bug =P. Good purchase for 14.99.

doomcky420 said:

October 10th, 6:13 am

lol fub=fun DOH

acerazer1 said:

October 10th, 7:27 am

Corey, you were right, the online in this game rulesss! And for those of you who only understand text-type, that’s RULEZZZEZZEEZZ!11!!!

I am definitely buying this when I have enough mula for this and Mega Man.

Captain Fury said:

October 10th, 8:40 am

remember to go to battle-cars.com forums and let the developers know about the problem (they are already working on it)

StalkingSilence said:

October 10th, 8:54 am

How bout this?
My last name is Carr – and my wife and I were picking up our puppy last night from the breeder. After reading your blog post, I thought i like the idea of “Rocket Cars” – so our new puppy’s name is Rocket.

haha true story. Unfortunately for you, I will be playing with him more this weekend (sorry!). But I will try out the demo soon.