Until Dawn

Oct 20

RPG Eternal Sonata Composes New PS3 Features Tomorrow

Stephanie Fernandez's Avatar Posted by Stephanie Fernandez on Oct 20, 2008 // Localization Producer at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.

Hello, my name is Stephanie Fernandez and I worked as the Localization Producer on Eternal Sonata for the PLAYSTATION 3. Eternal Sonata will be shipping tomorrow, October 21st, and it will include new features and extras that can only be found on the PLAYSTATION 3 platform. In preparation for the game’s release, I wanted to share with you some of my thoughts and insights from working on the game and give you a few more details about the new exclusive content.

When I started working on Eternal Sonata for the PS3, I was pleased to find out there would be additional story material incorporated into the game that is unique to the platform. I had always felt there were some aspects of the story which might be a little too vague for anyone who didn’t have the advantage of the background knowledge that I had about the story. But now there are scenes that give the game player a little more insight; scenes that reveal a bit more general information about the concept behind the story and more specific details regarding character motivations.

Not that everything is spelled out point-by-point–you still have to figure things out for yourself–the player is at least given a few more clues as to what is going on. And the new scenes fit into the story extremely well. It almost seems as if they are parts of the story that have always been there, but you’re only just now getting the chance to see them. Also, some of the old scenes have been modified slightly, again, in order to add more depth to the story. From beginning to end, there is new exclusive material, and I think it will really add to people’s enjoyment of the game.

Of course, a good part of the new material involves the two new playable characters in the game, Serenade and Crescendo, who are only available on the PS3. It’s very exciting to finally have the chance to play these characters in the game. I have always thought that Crescendo and Serenade were intriguing characters and now we get to see them play an expanded role in the game. And they have some very useful abilities that can really be an asset in battle. There are also new items that can only be used by Crescendo and Serenade that make them even more valuable.

It was a lot of fun being present for the recording of the battle voices for Crescendo and Serenade because it was all new material for the characters. Unfortunately, since we weren’t able to see the characters fighting in the game before we recorded, we had to make some guesses about the way in which lines would be used in battle situations. Sometimes we got it right, but sometimes we didn’t. So, in the end, it was necessary to edit some lines slightly. But, overall, I think it came out sounding pretty good. And now we get to see a prince and princess fighting for what they believe in!

And there are lots of other new things to be found in the game that are exclusive to the PLAYSTATION 3. There are new quests that add even more excitement to the game, and new dungeons that are very nicely designed and a lot of fun to explore. The dungeon that can only be accessed on your second play-through of the game is especially challenging! And the new enemies and bosses found in the new dungeons will definitely test your battle skills. Also, both of the new dungeons include brand new music written by Motoi Sakuraba.

There are also three new Chopin compositions featured in the game, performed again by Stanislav Bunin. In addition, there are fun new costumes for Polka, Allegretto, and Beat, but you’ll have to find them first. They’re scattered throughout the game, so make sure you leave no stone unturned, and no treasure chest unopened! The game also offers some ending variations this time around.

All in all, there is quite a lot of new material to be found in the world of Eternal Sonata. So whether you’re visiting for the first time or making a return trip, I’m sure everyone will find something to enjoy on this unique journey into Frederic Chopin’s dream world.

Be sure to check out the Eternal Sonata demo currently available on the PlayStation Store, and don’t miss the full game when it ships tomorrow.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ clupula668 on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:50 pm said:

*not worth

+ lano1106 on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:59 pm said:

Are you suggesting that in order to support a publisher, you need to blindingly throw money on games even if the game does not meet expectations?

People here that have explained why they are unhappy about the game are providing feedback to Namco. To me, this feedback is supporting the publisher. it is up to them to transform the feedback into revenues

to me, the annoying thing is the lack of trophy support especially since 360 version has achievements. The difference between 360 and PS3 is that Microsoft force developers to put achievements in their games while Sony does not yet. Bamco choose the lazy option and I cannot encourage that.

If Namco decides to stop publishing on PS3 because of that. I wish them good luck but I will not be sad because there is not a shortage of very good games on the PS3.

+ Kenshinhimurasz on October 22nd, 2008 at 10:47 pm said:

hello I think that we should buy this game if you liked the demo, I’m glad they got a rpg for the ps3 I’ve been waiting for one for so long… I’m getting my copy tomrw, and maybe, just maybe if it sells a lot of copies then they might add some trophies in the future, I got my hands full with the games I have now socom, bioshock, dead space upcoming enternal sonata, farcry2, lbp, and spyro… Hope I have time to play this game, it looks great :) I say buy this game and in the future more games from namco will come. If you buy it… they will make more.

+ sakiu on October 23rd, 2008 at 6:17 am said:

I had to register just to say few words about Eternal Sonata for ps3.

I pre ordered it month ago, paid the full price, BUT I am very VERY disappointed by the fact that there are no trophies! And telling us that there was no time to include those on disc? there are online patches aren’t there? When I pay full price for a 1 year old port 90% of fans already played I expect to get a full game at least same as the x360 one, and NO the extras doesn’t cut, no one in their right mind would buy a 1 year old game without any new content to make up for the wait.

I bought your game, paid full price, but I don’t think I will buy any other Namco game in future.

So here I ask You, Would you mind passing a word to the dev team to put a patch with trophies for Eternal Sonata? It really doesn’t take much time, and You can show us PS3 users that Namco care at least…

PS Trophies are out there for a long time now, and we didn’t even get those with Soul Calibur, not even as DLC from PSS…*cough*

+ sakiu on October 23rd, 2008 at 6:23 am said:

@ Clupula 668
You don’t think Namco/Bandai and all the other RPG companies aren’t watching the sales of Eternal Sonata? If their PS3 RPG doesn’t sell, they know a 360 one will.

You can’t compare sales of a game that was released a year ago for different platform, thats just stupid, since many of the ps3 users that for example prefer its gamepad etc and would pick it for ps3, picked it for x360 since they had both consoles…

+ jerpar on October 23rd, 2008 at 9:31 am said:

I’m so buying this game. From what I have played I love it.

+ leingod05 on October 23rd, 2008 at 11:31 pm said:

I created an account on this blog just to comment on this game and your comments.

Firstly, this game, from what I hear is average and uninspiring.

Secondly, it’s coming out at a really bad time. PS3 users have Disgaea 3 already, and LBP and Resistance 2 soon enough. If the game had been released earlier, then it would have had a better chance at sales. This game will definitely be lost in the shuffle. PS3 owners are just drowning in choices-much much better choices now, and you’ve just lost everything. It’s a waste of money to print this game now.

Thirdly, I won’t support your company at all. I know for a fact that you guys were moneyhatted for a timed exclusive. You’ve been sitting on this port for months and were too lazy to add trophy support. You act like we should be grateful that we are getting this grand game and that we should purchase it so that future games arrive day and date on the PS3. You guys can suck it. There’s no way in hell I’m paying for a full priced port so that future games might arrive on the PS3 day and date if at all.

I urge everyone to boycott this game. As supporters of Namco for years, we should tell them to go [DELETED] themselves. We don’t need this average game and we shouldn’t support this company who easily turns its back on its faithful customers.

Oh all this will be said about Square-Enix when Star Ocean 4 comes out on PS3 as well. [DELETED] them too… giving away FF 13. It’s all about White Knight Chronicles now.

+ lano1106 on October 22nd, 2008 at 1:32 pm said:

I think the exact opposite. If it sells well, Namco will have absolutely no reason to fix anything. To back my point, just look at Soul Caliber IV. I would believe that the game is selling well and still, there is no trophy patch in sight for that game.

IMO, your best bet to see trophy support for Eternal Sonata is to NOT buy the game to protest against the lack of trophies.

PAGE 1 2 3 4