PS4-Watch_Dogs

Come Drift With Me! A GT5 Prologue Challenge from Tanner Foust

Tanner Foust's Avatar + Posted by Tanner Foust on Oct 22, 2008 // Professional Drift and Rally Driver

Hey, PlayStation Blog readers. Some of you may know who I am. If you do, that’s great. If you don’t, let me introduce myself. My name is Tanner Foust, and I’m a professional drift, rally, and ice racer. You may have seen me in a recent Play the Pros video on PSN, where I took on some Gran Turismo fans at X Games 14 this past summer before competing in the Rally Super Special race.

Tanner Foust

You may have even seen me on ESPN2 or the Speed Channel, or seen my work as a stunt driver in the Bourne Ultimatum, Dukes of Hazzard, or The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

Tanner Foust Tanner Foust

Hot on the heels of my 2nd place finish at the Formula DRIFT Pro Championship finals earlier this month and clinching the 2008 Formula Drift Championship, I’m gearing up to represent the US against the best drifters in the world at Red Bull Drifting World Championships on November 15-16. I’ll be competing with 31 of the world’s best drifters from 12 countries, down at the docks at the Port of Long Beach in sunny California, hoping to take home the top prize.

And I want one of you to come cheer me on! This is a challenge to all you Gran Turismo fans, and here’s all you have to do!

I am challenging all of you to post your best lap time in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, in the online race event “Tanner Foust Racing Competition.” You’ll have to bring your best driving skills and push the Nissan Fairlady Z (Japanese version of the 350Z – my drifting car of choice) around the London city track faster than anyone else. With Professional driving physics of course. You have from now until midnight on November 2 to put your skills to the test.

Second and 3rd place winners will get a cool prize package, but the 1st place winner, along with a guest, will get to come cheer me on in Long Beach at the Red Bull Drifting World Championships from the VIP section. While you’re there, I’ll also see what you’re made of when I take you on head-to-head in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (I’ve been a huge fan of the series for a long time, and use it to train and to learn tracks), and take you for a spin on some practice drift laps around the course.

Tanner Foust

Here are the official rules.

So, what are you waiting for?! Fire up your copy of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! You’ve got 2 weeks to prove to everyone you’re the best racer in the US!

See you in Long Beach.

Tanner Foust

-Tanner F

42 Comments

+ Firefox_CR on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:03 pm said:

Sweet! I’ll definitely be doing this.

+ MegaClank on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:05 pm said:

If only I had GT5P. . . .

+ FritoZ on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:08 pm said:

thanks for the psot!

i’m still going to wait for the full GT5 game, this glorified demo stuff for $40 is just silly, since you can just bounce off walls for the wins..

+ Kamahl on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:10 pm said:

this is awesome, i got the game but i cant download the UPDATES!!!!! IT ALWAYS FAILS!!! Poliphony Digital please fix your servers, i got no problems with other downloads except for this game.

+ Kamahl on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:15 pm said:

by the way, i saw you on the X Games, great races there :P and ive also seen the drift championship, i wish i could drive like you and that japanese guy

+ Letters2Kay on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:21 pm said:

Slightly off topic, but I’m pleased to say that Midnight Club LA supports custom soundtracks via in-game XMB. :)

+ EViD on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:26 pm said:

only if I were skilled enough

+ depward on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:36 pm said:

Tanner – I’m SO going to get first place in this… then kick your butt at Long Beach

+ ftwrthtx on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:51 pm said:

I may have to pick up a copy now.

Thanks for the info.

+ wavesln on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:53 pm said:

That’ll take some practice.

+ tirminyl on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:57 pm said:

I hereby proclaim that I will have the fastest slow time out of all the competitors. Any prizes for that?

+ big_king_kill on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:58 pm said:

This is gonna be fun, gonna be some good times here to beat. Thanks Tanner!

+ smokey_vols on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:00 pm said:

Don’t have the game, or i’d give it a shot.

+ Ghostm on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:00 pm said:

OMG best post ever. Even my care is in it!!!!

+ Conrad Max on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:02 pm said:

I will have to give the challenge a try even if I race like a snail. Thank you for the invitation.

+ craazy on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:06 pm said:

Cool challenge too bad I am terrible at the drifting

+ MUGEN02 on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:09 pm said:

No thank you. You can go faster in a straight line.

+ Ghostm on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

* car

+ X1rtam on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:36 pm said:

@3(FritoZ), there are a number of things wrong with what you perceive to be GT5P. First, there are a LOT of cars, much more than even some retail games. While there is no damage model to speak of, you cannot simply go bumping people around/wall-grinding to attain the win. The game has gotten pretty good at predicting when players are trying this, so their car’s collision detection is turned off and opponents pass right on by. Also, bumping into walls slows you down for a given amount of time by practically shutting your throttle off. There are also tiered events, and clearing them all will take many hours for the average player. In online play, the drivers who take the best line are usually the ones who end up vying for the win. The online play, while not anywhere near perfect, has gotten much better in spec III.

Anyway, glad to see a contest like this pop up (And Tanner I saw you at the X-Games, even stayed for the filmed part of you taking on fans, good show!). Although the London track is my worst! :D I guess I’ll give it my all, hopefully by the end I’ll be in the top three spots (Yeah right!).

+ chrisrhymz on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:42 pm said:

this is pretty cool for all the fans of GT5P n i have been a fan since day 1 but i’ll try to c if i can atleast make it to the 3rd spot cuz im kinda rusty… thanks for the info Tanner!

+ GGCAN on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:50 pm said:

Thanks for posting Tanner.

+ xLord-Slothx on October 22nd, 2008 at 4:02 pm said:

OMG, sweet. I so saw you at Drift Atlanta. That was a great day. Toka Tori ( I belive thats how you spell it) should of won though. This is pretty cool. Ill see what I can do.

+ Clinton514 on October 22nd, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

I’m garbage at drifting. :( I need practice.

Thanks for stopping by the blog Tanner :)

+ shooter0784 on October 22nd, 2008 at 4:09 pm said:

i kno i dont got a chance in hell at this but im givin it a shot rank 283 atm

and no you cant hit the walls too hard in this challenge or bounce if you prefer because it invalidates the next lap

+ AranhaHunter on October 22nd, 2008 at 4:09 pm said:

Where’s my damage and weather?

+ skynidas on October 22nd, 2008 at 4:33 pm said:

Thanks for posting here Tanner, I´ll definitely try to do a good time

+ wbrinkman on October 22nd, 2008 at 5:19 pm said:

All very well, nice & things, but when can we expect some real update to the GT5 prologue? that Spec3 update is hardly anything to chew on. Timetrials on a current lap in the game isnt either.
Not much gt5p news on the past gameshows, come on now!

+ ATALAVERA on October 22nd, 2008 at 5:25 pm said:

Its on! I am going to try and get my name up there.

+ railenmiles on October 22nd, 2008 at 5:40 pm said:

Pro Racers use Gran Turismo as a tool? For real realz? Is Gran Turismo that good?

I got GT4, but i always thought that it’s just a game. and it is.

+ Conrad Max on October 22nd, 2008 at 8:41 pm said:

Tried beating the fastest time… Failed. I am currently ranked at 450. Quite a bit to go.

+ Laozer on October 22nd, 2008 at 9:00 pm said:

so only for the US players?

+ ftown on October 23rd, 2008 at 6:57 am said:

does anyone still play this game?

+ toombzie on October 23rd, 2008 at 6:59 am said:

too damn hard!!!!!

+ StalkingSilence on October 23rd, 2008 at 8:39 am said:

Pretty neat promotion.

+ turismochik on October 23rd, 2008 at 10:06 am said:

just ran a… 1:02.3 PSN id is same as name on here. ranked 25th last i checked

+ MegadethAndy on October 23rd, 2008 at 2:36 pm said:

I put years of my life into playing GT2 and GT4 (my fav) but despite my love for GT, i just dont have fun playing GT5P.
I look forward to being able to do everything the previous games had + more.
Sorry for my off topic rant lol.

+ riko540 on October 23rd, 2008 at 3:53 pm said:

Too bad I don’t own GT5 Prologue cause I would defiantly participate in this.

+ RADracing on October 23rd, 2008 at 6:58 pm said:

Arrgh! got as high as 26th now ranked somewhere in the 30′s and going down. Can’t seem to shave anymore off my lap time.

+ Conrad Max on October 24th, 2008 at 1:52 am said:

Dropped to 700 something… Competition is tough.

+ CL8i on October 28th, 2008 at 8:55 am said:

wow, what a nice gift !

+ lancesrage on October 29th, 2008 at 7:17 pm said:

This is so far off topic but I dont see anything on the blog about it so its time to show sony some outrage
Qore episode 6 WILL NOT HAVE THE HOME BETA UNLESS YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBER TO THE YEAR OF QORE
lets show some out rage to sony for this I am personally sick of waiting for sony to finish this come on people lets ban together to and show our outrage >=(

+ r3dt@rget on November 4th, 2008 at 6:49 pm said:

Tanner is a great race car driver. This competition is great. I have some more info about gran turismo 5 competition on this blog.