PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PixelPatch: PJ Monsters Updates Incoming

Matt Morton's Avatar + Posted by Matt Morton on Oct 22, 2008 // Producer, Santa Monica Studio

Hi PixelJunkies! I’m Matt Morton, Associate Producer at SCEA Santa Monica Studio and I’ve had the great fortune of working on the PixelJunk series since the very first title, PixelJunk Racers. We’ve been working hard to keep spreading the PixelJunk Love (as Deb Mars calls it) and wanted to give you a heads up on the upcoming patch for PixelJunk Monsters and PixelJunk Monsters: Encore.

The patch will be releasing VERY soon, with Japan getting the first patch release on October 23. If all goes well with final testing, you will see the patch in SCEA and SCEE territories on October 30. If there are any delays to the above mentioned dates, we will be sure to update the blog to let you know about it, so stay tuned!

The Q-Games team has been hard at work on the PixelJunk Monsters patch and has packed a TON of great features into this great game. I’ll give you a quick breakdown of some of the new features you will expect to see:

PixelJunk Monsters Patch
Game Difficulty settings
You can now choose between three different difficulties of gameplay! There is a Casual mode, the Regular/Ranked mode, and Hard-core mode. The great news here is that you can use any combination of difficulties to complete your progress through the islands! Is there one particular map that’s too hard? Try it in Casual mode. If you Rainbow the level, that rainbow counts and will remain on the map no matter what difficulty the other rainbows were achieved at! Only the Regular difficulty will register on the ranking boards, though.

PixelJunk Monsters Patch

Tower Menu selection
You can now set the default menu to appear when selecting a tower! How many times have you sold off a tower and run over to another tower to quickly upgrade it and accidentally sell it by mistake? I know I’ve done that many, many times. Now you can choose which option appears as the default, instead of the last action you selected.

PixelJunk Monsters Patch
Tower Balancing
Those of you who have purchased Encore know about the reduced cost on the Ice Tower, and balanced functionality of the Tesla tower. This patch applies those changes to BOTH islands, not just the Encore island.

Video Recording / YouTube Support
Ever since Q-Games included this feature into PixelJunk Eden, we knew it needed to be in Monsters as well. You will be able to record up to 10 minutes of gameplay and upload it directly to your YouTube account, or send it to your video folder on your PS3’s XMB.

XMB Custom Soundtrack Support
You can now make your own custom soundtrack to listen to as you play PixelJunk Monsters and Encore! I’ve personally been enjoying listening to the PixelJunk Eden soundtrack while I play Monsters, as well as listening to the PixelJunk Monsters soundtrack within Eden! It’s great how well those fantastic soundtracks work in other games.

With these features being added, and several other small bugs being fixed in the game, we think you’ll have a great time playing PixelJunk Monsters and Encore all over again.

I think that’s about it … But it feels like I’m missing something … Hmm … I can’t quite put my finger on what I might be forgetting. Wait a minute … I remember now …

PixelJunk Monsters Patch
TROPHIES
Trophies are now added for both PixelJunk Monsters and Encore. We weren’t able to retroactively apply Trophies to the previously played data, but Q-Games didn’t want to force people to play everything all over again. They came up with a great idea by creating Trophy Challenges. These challenges have specific maps with set rules or objectives that will reward you with Trophies if you complete them properly.

Recently, Jeff Rubenstein got to visit Q-Games in Kyoto (the lucky so-and-so) and shot an interview with Dylan to talk more about the patch for PixelJunk Monsters. Check it out …

+ Withnail on October 22nd, 2008 at 12:05 pm said:

Great update, can’t wait to play this.

Dylan, any news you can share with us on a possible Eden Encore? Eden is my GOTY 2008 and I’m jonesing for more.

Also when are you guys going to reveal 1-4? I was hoping we were going to see it during TGS. Six month dev time means a release in early 2009 yeah?

+ StalkingSilence on October 22nd, 2008 at 12:07 pm said:

Dylan,
Please get your sister Elisha to post here more often ;)

+ wavesln on October 22nd, 2008 at 12:16 pm said:

Great. I can finally play the game in a few days (already bought, was waiting for the trophy patch). What about Eden? Is the patch coming any time soon?

+ irk_t_great on October 22nd, 2008 at 12:31 pm said:

Thank you so much! I’ve been waiting for this for soo long!

+ lakaihigh on October 22nd, 2008 at 12:31 pm said:

my g/f and I are going back to this game as soon as this patch drops! i just told her about it and she is psyched… wondering why its not today. she can wait. thank you so much for this guys!

on a side note, do i see a wii under your tv dylan??? i know you have it there just so you can compare how inferior it is to PS3. j/k its all good mate!

peace,
Lh

Matt Morton's Avatar

+ Dulan Cuthbert on October 22nd, 2008 at 5:37 pm said:

That\’s one of our game areas – next to the Wii is an old SNES too.

+ Takeshi.hin on October 22nd, 2008 at 12:41 pm said:

Sweet! Thanks for your support.

+ SickMinder on October 22nd, 2008 at 12:57 pm said:

Beyond awesome! Thank you so much for this! Me and my cousin love this game! Can’t wait for the next PixelJunk Masterpiece :D

+ Ajora on October 22nd, 2008 at 12:59 pm said:

Yes! I’m a trophie whore!!!

+ EddyxMob on October 22nd, 2008 at 1:02 pm said:

Awesome, Awesome!
Love the demo just wish i had a credit card to buy it
lol

but i will get this game

+ Delriach on October 22nd, 2008 at 1:04 pm said:

Oh crap! this is ridiculously good news. I guess we will start seeing a nice wave of new youtube videos out now too since everyone can do it now.

+ blazndragon0 on October 22nd, 2008 at 1:04 pm said:

I got PJM and loved it, but not enough to get Encore. With trophies and custom soundtracks, I’ll probably pick up Encore now =]

+ steve86uk on October 22nd, 2008 at 1:05 pm said:

Great idea with the trophy challenges. I wouldn’t have minded starting over, but having new challenges for the trophies instead is even better.

+ Enforcer_X on October 22nd, 2008 at 1:26 pm said:

WooT!
Can’t wait!
LOVE THE XMB MUSIC, SO MUCH BETTER!

+ P_tear_griffin on October 22nd, 2008 at 1:42 pm said:

out of all the things here I guess I’m actualy excited about Youtube support to offer and obtain strategies to rainbow certain stages.

+ Flamenblade on October 22nd, 2008 at 1:44 pm said:

Thank you. Especially thanks for the Casual setting. I cannot beat this game. =)

+ MegaClank on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:09 pm said:

Comes out on my birthday, might I say, “Thank you”?

+ Kamahl on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:21 pm said:

awesome, are there 2 player challenges? i like to play this with friends…

+ NiavlysUS on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:26 pm said:

Any chance we get more than 10 min recording if we don’t want to post on YouTube.Com?
I’d like to post mine on Crackle and I don’t think they got length limits…

+ guitain on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:33 pm said:

Are trophies available through Remote Play as well? Would be awesome ^^

Which makes me think of how cool it would be if trophies were integrated to the PSP!

+ aiphanes on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:33 pm said:

This is my favorite game. I got through the whole game…but it took me like foever. I will play again after this patch!

+ saintfighteraqua on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:52 pm said:

This covers everything we could ask for!
Now about a new expansion…

+ tirminyl on October 22nd, 2008 at 2:59 pm said:

Amazing update. I’ve been wanting to get back into playing this game. Well, here is my reason.

+ Ddunk on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

Ok just like everyone else i am stoked about this patch, but a question yet been asked is that are the trophies possible to get with 2 people or are they just solo? this way i can know if my wife can tag along for the ride.

+ toastrbot on October 22nd, 2008 at 3:54 pm said:

Love Q-Games, best game developers in 2008 IMO. Thanks for the patch, was really looking forward to it!

+ Wip3ou7 on October 22nd, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

“I’ve personally been enjoying listening to the PixelJunk Eden soundtrack while I play Monsters, as well as listening to the PixelJunk Monsters soundtrack within Eden!”

Wait a second, since when does PJ Eden support custom music??????????

+ Aprisaiden_22 on October 22nd, 2008 at 5:25 pm said:

OMG this patch is awsome — Custom soundtracks, Youtube uploading, Trophies and 3 difficulty levels to give usa chance to rainbow those hard levels before attempting mass gold rainbow :P

Ohh and Dylan – will you guys be announcing any future games soon ? I can’t wait to see what your working on next!

+ Athanasios on October 22nd, 2008 at 5:40 pm said:

Thank you Dylan and the PixelJunk team! What a great update!

+ Grinchy on October 22nd, 2008 at 5:53 pm said:

WOW I can’t wait for this! I’m buying Encore now and getting back into the flow of things. Thanks for the patch!

+ PSXNation26 on October 22nd, 2008 at 6:31 pm said:

YESsssssssssssssssssssssssss. Finally the pixeljunk monsters has come back to the playstation. Nice guys.

+ 40cal on October 22nd, 2008 at 8:00 pm said:

These are Key.

“Tower Menu selection-How many times have you sold off a tower and run over to another tower to quickly upgrade it and accidentally sell it by mistake?”

Way, way to many times Matt.

XMB Custom Soundtrack Support and Trophies, very nice.

But Matt, I got a PSU email a few weeks ago that said if I downloaded PJ Eden I would get more PJ monsters. I have not gotten my redemption code yet. Can you please look into this? PSN ID is jimmy903. My wife has been bugging the hell out of me about why we have not gotten our voucher code yet. Thanks.

+ ftown on October 22nd, 2008 at 8:26 pm said:

good job Dylan & crew!

+ lelik on October 22nd, 2008 at 10:24 pm said:

thanks so much, i love the game but i was never a fan of the music, with in game music and golden rainbows il probably beat it again.

+ toastrbot on October 22nd, 2008 at 11:06 pm said:

Well that did it. Buying Encore now.

+ Shime Waza on October 23rd, 2008 at 5:02 am said:

This is fantastic news! I love PJM & Encore and adding custom soundtrack support and Trophy challenges is great news.

I’m pleased you decided to go in a different direction with your Trophy Challenges. Having achieved all Rainbows on Encore in single player, I don’t think I could be bothered going through them all again. Some were a pain in the arse (in a fun way though :P ) and took hours.

Awesome patch guys!

Any news if you will be adding a 3rd Island at some point in the future?

I’d definitely buy any new content for PJM. It’s still one of the best games currently available on the PS3 and I include all Blu-ray titles too, not just PSN games.

+ PvtPoopy on October 23rd, 2008 at 5:57 am said:

Both my wife and I would like to know about a Pixeljunk Monsters 2 coming or more expansions. We both love this game and play it to all ours of the early morning. It has been a great find in our life and we love spending hours playing it. The Gold Rainbow feature is going to probably make us get a divorce :)

Please let us know about more Monsters coming in the future, as you can see there are a lot of loyal fans out there asking for more. I really hope that you continue this great series.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on October 23rd, 2008 at 9:49 am said:

You Have To add an option to log-in with different accounts on each controller as I always play this game with my brother, and it’d be fair that both get the trophies

+ gunblade on October 23rd, 2008 at 10:28 am said:

Ive finished the game 3 times all levels with rainbow!!! what we need is a NEW ISLAND!!! new maps!!!please, come on!!! Q-Games, we need new levels!!!!!!!!!

+ VenomX on October 23rd, 2008 at 10:55 am said:

Epic game. thanks for the update.

+ GODSACE on October 23rd, 2008 at 12:28 pm said:

great, i got annoyed with it but i’ll start playing again

+ sonyrules on October 23rd, 2008 at 3:12 pm said:

yes yes yes! thank you Q-games, you guys rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ K2016 on October 23rd, 2008 at 3:43 pm said:

Cool. Although those trophies look hard to get =(

+ clone232 on October 23rd, 2008 at 4:54 pm said:

Hey Dylan, thank you so much for this patch, my friend and I have been waiting for the patch to come out before we started playing monsters a lot more again, and I was wondering, will you be able to get the trophies when playing with a friend?

+ DevilHunterDante on October 23rd, 2008 at 5:02 pm said:

Bout damn time ;) cant wait to start playing again.

+ OddyOh on October 24th, 2008 at 1:38 am said:

Nice! I had quit playing this game cause Encore is so gamepad-smashingly-difficult, sucked all the fun right out of it. Some of us just want to play through a game and see a good percentage of the content at least once in our lives.

I’ve been waiting for this patch since it was first rumoured, thanks for delivering! Custom Soundtracks & Trophies are standards these days, well done bringing those to the table!

+ stealthb0nger1 on October 24th, 2008 at 11:55 am said:

can u guys please put a patch in to make the I-TECH VKB work with the ps3. its the sweetest keyboard on the market, i just spent $160 just so i could use it with my ps3. its bluetooth, and i managed to pair and register it on my system but it doesnt work due to a issue with the passkey software(the vkb uses a siingle passkey whereas the ps3 has a echo system for passkey). i just think its fitting to have the coolest most futuristic keyboard on the coolest most futuristic system in the world. please sony hook us up. http://www.vkb-support.com to see the keyboard in all its glory :) thanks sony keep up the awesome work!!

+ jorgetoronto on October 27th, 2008 at 5:56 pm said:

Awesome!! Can’t wait to try out the patch!! Keep ‘em coming!! THANK YOU!!

+ zomble on October 29th, 2008 at 10:12 pm said:

its october 30th guys, were is the patch !!!!

i cant wait to play this game again :D

+ snskidtv21 on October 30th, 2008 at 3:19 am said:

I hope everything went well with the Japanese players. I want this patch today!!

+ Makasu on October 30th, 2008 at 10:46 am said:

Nooooooooooooooo, the trophies are single player only :( Dang, this is the only game i can play with my girlfriend… if you dont count buzz :)

+ CitizenInsane27 on October 30th, 2008 at 2:04 pm said:

What time does the patch drop for the US? It’s already out everywhere else in the world except here?