Final Fantasy XV

Oct 22

Oct 22

PixelPatch: PJ Monsters Updates Incoming

Matt Morton's Avatar Posted by Producer, Santa Monica Studio

Hi PixelJunkies! I’m Matt Morton, Associate Producer at SCEA Santa Monica Studio and I’ve had the great fortune of working on the PixelJunk series since the very first title, PixelJunk Racers. We’ve been working hard to keep spreading the PixelJunk Love (as Deb Mars calls it) and wanted to give you a heads up on the upcoming patch for PixelJunk Monsters and PixelJunk Monsters: Encore.

The patch will be releasing VERY soon, with Japan getting the first patch release on October 23. If all goes well with final testing, you will see the patch in SCEA and SCEE territories on October 30. If there are any delays to the above mentioned dates, we will be sure to update the blog to let you know about it, so stay tuned!

The Q-Games team has been hard at work on the PixelJunk Monsters patch and has packed a TON of great features into this great game. I’ll give you a quick breakdown of some of the new features you will expect to see:

PixelJunk Monsters Patch
Game Difficulty settings
You can now choose between three different difficulties of gameplay! There is a Casual mode, the Regular/Ranked mode, and Hard-core mode. The great news here is that you can use any combination of difficulties to complete your progress through the islands! Is there one particular map that’s too hard? Try it in Casual mode. If you Rainbow the level, that rainbow counts and will remain on the map no matter what difficulty the other rainbows were achieved at! Only the Regular difficulty will register on the ranking boards, though.

PixelJunk Monsters Patch

Tower Menu selection
You can now set the default menu to appear when selecting a tower! How many times have you sold off a tower and run over to another tower to quickly upgrade it and accidentally sell it by mistake? I know I’ve done that many, many times. Now you can choose which option appears as the default, instead of the last action you selected.

PixelJunk Monsters Patch
Tower Balancing
Those of you who have purchased Encore know about the reduced cost on the Ice Tower, and balanced functionality of the Tesla tower. This patch applies those changes to BOTH islands, not just the Encore island.

Video Recording / YouTube Support
Ever since Q-Games included this feature into PixelJunk Eden, we knew it needed to be in Monsters as well. You will be able to record up to 10 minutes of gameplay and upload it directly to your YouTube account, or send it to your video folder on your PS3’s XMB.

XMB Custom Soundtrack Support
You can now make your own custom soundtrack to listen to as you play PixelJunk Monsters and Encore! I’ve personally been enjoying listening to the PixelJunk Eden soundtrack while I play Monsters, as well as listening to the PixelJunk Monsters soundtrack within Eden! It’s great how well those fantastic soundtracks work in other games.

With these features being added, and several other small bugs being fixed in the game, we think you’ll have a great time playing PixelJunk Monsters and Encore all over again.

I think that’s about it … But it feels like I’m missing something … Hmm … I can’t quite put my finger on what I might be forgetting. Wait a minute … I remember now …

PixelJunk Monsters Patch
TROPHIES
Trophies are now added for both PixelJunk Monsters and Encore. We weren’t able to retroactively apply Trophies to the previously played data, but Q-Games didn’t want to force people to play everything all over again. They came up with a great idea by creating Trophy Challenges. These challenges have specific maps with set rules or objectives that will reward you with Trophies if you complete them properly.

Recently, Jeff Rubenstein got to visit Q-Games in Kyoto (the lucky so-and-so) and shot an interview with Dylan to talk more about the patch for PixelJunk Monsters. Check it out …

Add Your Own

Withnail said:

October 22nd, 12:05 pm

Great update, can’t wait to play this.

Dylan, any news you can share with us on a possible Eden Encore? Eden is my GOTY 2008 and I’m jonesing for more.

Also when are you guys going to reveal 1-4? I was hoping we were going to see it during TGS. Six month dev time means a release in early 2009 yeah?

StalkingSilence said:

October 22nd, 12:07 pm

Dylan,
Please get your sister Elisha to post here more often ;)

wavesln said:

October 22nd, 12:16 pm

Great. I can finally play the game in a few days (already bought, was waiting for the trophy patch). What about Eden? Is the patch coming any time soon?

irk_t_great said:

October 22nd, 12:31 pm

Thank you so much! I’ve been waiting for this for soo long!

lakaihigh said:

October 22nd, 12:31 pm

my g/f and I are going back to this game as soon as this patch drops! i just told her about it and she is psyched… wondering why its not today. she can wait. thank you so much for this guys!

on a side note, do i see a wii under your tv dylan??? i know you have it there just so you can compare how inferior it is to PS3. j/k its all good mate!

peace,
Lh

Matt Morton's Avatar

Dulan Cuthbert said:

October 22nd, 5:37 pm

That\’s one of our game areas – next to the Wii is an old SNES too.

Takeshi.hin said:

October 22nd, 12:41 pm

Sweet! Thanks for your support.

SickMinder said:

October 22nd, 12:57 pm

Beyond awesome! Thank you so much for this! Me and my cousin love this game! Can’t wait for the next PixelJunk Masterpiece :D

Ajora said:

October 22nd, 12:59 pm

Yes! I’m a trophie whore!!!

EddyxMob said:

October 22nd, 1:02 pm

Awesome, Awesome!
Love the demo just wish i had a credit card to buy it
lol

but i will get this game

Delriach said:

October 22nd, 1:04 pm

Oh crap! this is ridiculously good news. I guess we will start seeing a nice wave of new youtube videos out now too since everyone can do it now.

blazndragon0 said:

October 22nd, 1:04 pm

I got PJM and loved it, but not enough to get Encore. With trophies and custom soundtracks, I’ll probably pick up Encore now =]

steve86uk said:

October 22nd, 1:05 pm

Great idea with the trophy challenges. I wouldn’t have minded starting over, but having new challenges for the trophies instead is even better.

Enforcer_X said:

October 22nd, 1:26 pm

WooT!
Can’t wait!
LOVE THE XMB MUSIC, SO MUCH BETTER!

P_tear_griffin said:

October 22nd, 1:42 pm

out of all the things here I guess I’m actualy excited about Youtube support to offer and obtain strategies to rainbow certain stages.

Flamenblade said:

October 22nd, 1:44 pm

Thank you. Especially thanks for the Casual setting. I cannot beat this game. =)

MegaClank said:

October 22nd, 2:09 pm

Comes out on my birthday, might I say, “Thank you”?

Kamahl said:

October 22nd, 2:21 pm

awesome, are there 2 player challenges? i like to play this with friends…

NiavlysUS said:

October 22nd, 2:26 pm

Any chance we get more than 10 min recording if we don’t want to post on YouTube.Com?
I’d like to post mine on Crackle and I don’t think they got length limits…

guitain said:

October 22nd, 2:33 pm

Are trophies available through Remote Play as well? Would be awesome ^^

Which makes me think of how cool it would be if trophies were integrated to the PSP!

aiphanes said:

October 22nd, 2:33 pm

This is my favorite game. I got through the whole game…but it took me like foever. I will play again after this patch!

saintfighteraqua said:

October 22nd, 2:52 pm

This covers everything we could ask for!
Now about a new expansion…

tirminyl said:

October 22nd, 2:59 pm

Amazing update. I’ve been wanting to get back into playing this game. Well, here is my reason.

Ddunk said:

October 22nd, 3:16 pm

Ok just like everyone else i am stoked about this patch, but a question yet been asked is that are the trophies possible to get with 2 people or are they just solo? this way i can know if my wife can tag along for the ride.

toastrbot said:

October 22nd, 3:54 pm

Love Q-Games, best game developers in 2008 IMO. Thanks for the patch, was really looking forward to it!

Wip3ou7 said:

October 22nd, 4:03 pm

“I’ve personally been enjoying listening to the PixelJunk Eden soundtrack while I play Monsters, as well as listening to the PixelJunk Monsters soundtrack within Eden!”

Wait a second, since when does PJ Eden support custom music??????????

Aprisaiden_22 said:

October 22nd, 5:25 pm

OMG this patch is awsome — Custom soundtracks, Youtube uploading, Trophies and 3 difficulty levels to give usa chance to rainbow those hard levels before attempting mass gold rainbow :P

Ohh and Dylan – will you guys be announcing any future games soon ? I can’t wait to see what your working on next!

Athanasios said:

October 22nd, 5:40 pm

Thank you Dylan and the PixelJunk team! What a great update!

Grinchy said:

October 22nd, 5:53 pm

WOW I can’t wait for this! I’m buying Encore now and getting back into the flow of things. Thanks for the patch!

PSXNation26 said:

October 22nd, 6:31 pm

YESsssssssssssssssssssssssss. Finally the pixeljunk monsters has come back to the playstation. Nice guys.

40cal said:

October 22nd, 8:00 pm

These are Key.

“Tower Menu selection-How many times have you sold off a tower and run over to another tower to quickly upgrade it and accidentally sell it by mistake?”

Way, way to many times Matt.

XMB Custom Soundtrack Support and Trophies, very nice.

But Matt, I got a PSU email a few weeks ago that said if I downloaded PJ Eden I would get more PJ monsters. I have not gotten my redemption code yet. Can you please look into this? PSN ID is jimmy903. My wife has been bugging the hell out of me about why we have not gotten our voucher code yet. Thanks.

ftown said:

October 22nd, 8:26 pm

good job Dylan & crew!

lelik said:

October 22nd, 10:24 pm

thanks so much, i love the game but i was never a fan of the music, with in game music and golden rainbows il probably beat it again.

toastrbot said:

October 22nd, 11:06 pm

Well that did it. Buying Encore now.

Shime Waza said:

October 23rd, 5:02 am

This is fantastic news! I love PJM & Encore and adding custom soundtrack support and Trophy challenges is great news.

I’m pleased you decided to go in a different direction with your Trophy Challenges. Having achieved all Rainbows on Encore in single player, I don’t think I could be bothered going through them all again. Some were a pain in the arse (in a fun way though :P ) and took hours.

Awesome patch guys!

Any news if you will be adding a 3rd Island at some point in the future?

I’d definitely buy any new content for PJM. It’s still one of the best games currently available on the PS3 and I include all Blu-ray titles too, not just PSN games.

PvtPoopy said:

October 23rd, 5:57 am

Both my wife and I would like to know about a Pixeljunk Monsters 2 coming or more expansions. We both love this game and play it to all ours of the early morning. It has been a great find in our life and we love spending hours playing it. The Gold Rainbow feature is going to probably make us get a divorce :)

Please let us know about more Monsters coming in the future, as you can see there are a lot of loyal fans out there asking for more. I really hope that you continue this great series.

ROLO_ONFIRE said:

October 23rd, 9:49 am

You Have To add an option to log-in with different accounts on each controller as I always play this game with my brother, and it’d be fair that both get the trophies

gunblade said:

October 23rd, 10:28 am

Ive finished the game 3 times all levels with rainbow!!! what we need is a NEW ISLAND!!! new maps!!!please, come on!!! Q-Games, we need new levels!!!!!!!!!

VenomX said:

October 23rd, 10:55 am

Epic game. thanks for the update.

GODSACE said:

October 23rd, 12:28 pm

great, i got annoyed with it but i’ll start playing again

sonyrules said:

October 23rd, 3:12 pm

yes yes yes! thank you Q-games, you guys rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K2016 said:

October 23rd, 3:43 pm

Cool. Although those trophies look hard to get =(

clone232 said:

October 23rd, 4:54 pm

Hey Dylan, thank you so much for this patch, my friend and I have been waiting for the patch to come out before we started playing monsters a lot more again, and I was wondering, will you be able to get the trophies when playing with a friend?

DevilHunterDante said:

October 23rd, 5:02 pm

Bout damn time ;) cant wait to start playing again.

OddyOh said:

October 24th, 1:38 am

Nice! I had quit playing this game cause Encore is so gamepad-smashingly-difficult, sucked all the fun right out of it. Some of us just want to play through a game and see a good percentage of the content at least once in our lives.

I’ve been waiting for this patch since it was first rumoured, thanks for delivering! Custom Soundtracks & Trophies are standards these days, well done bringing those to the table!

stealthb0nger1 said:

October 24th, 11:55 am

can u guys please put a patch in to make the I-TECH VKB work with the ps3. its the sweetest keyboard on the market, i just spent $160 just so i could use it with my ps3. its bluetooth, and i managed to pair and register it on my system but it doesnt work due to a issue with the passkey software(the vkb uses a siingle passkey whereas the ps3 has a echo system for passkey). i just think its fitting to have the coolest most futuristic keyboard on the coolest most futuristic system in the world. please sony hook us up. http://www.vkb-support.com to see the keyboard in all its glory :) thanks sony keep up the awesome work!!

jorgetoronto said:

October 27th, 5:56 pm

Awesome!! Can’t wait to try out the patch!! Keep ’em coming!! THANK YOU!!

zomble said:

October 29th, 10:12 pm

its october 30th guys, were is the patch !!!!

i cant wait to play this game again :D

snskidtv21 said:

October 30th, 3:19 am

I hope everything went well with the Japanese players. I want this patch today!!

Makasu said:

October 30th, 10:46 am

Nooooooooooooooo, the trophies are single player only :( Dang, this is the only game i can play with my girlfriend… if you dont count buzz :)

CitizenInsane27 said:

October 30th, 2:04 pm

What time does the patch drop for the US? It’s already out everywhere else in the world except here?