PS4 - Destiny

PSP 3000 update

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Oct 27, 2008 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

Ratchet PSP bundle box

Based on ongoing discussions with our retail partners and the feedback they have received from their customers, SCEA has seen significant interest in the Ratchet & Clank Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack in North America, which includes the updated PSP-3000. As a result, we will be streamlining our PSP hardware lineup and will no longer be offering the previously announced 4GB Memory PSP Entertainment Pack.

Consumers who are interested in a larger capacity memory option can purchase a 4GB PSP Memory Stick PRO Duo, which will be available this fall for $44.99 (MSRP). The Ratchet & Clank Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack will continue to be available in Mystic Silver in North America, and, starting in December, will be available in Piano Black.

147 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ tidusblitz on October 27th, 2008 at 6:27 pm said:

weak…I planned on getting that one.

+ Masterted11 on October 27th, 2008 at 6:29 pm said:

The only one I would get is the size matters one, but it would have to have black.

+ APaz on October 27th, 2008 at 6:36 pm said:

That sucks! I guess I’m not going to upgrade from my 2000.

+ ftwrthtx on October 27th, 2008 at 6:38 pm said:

You can pick up a 4gb stick pretty cheap online so that’s not a big deal.

What about the scanline issues I’ve heard about?

+ MidgetguyII on October 27th, 2008 at 6:41 pm said:

COME ON!!!!

I was seriously getting hyped up about getting back into the PSP scene! (I’ve had the original for a while now, and since it’s got multiple “issues” I was going to upgrade to the 3000!) BUT NOW!!!! (Grr….) I was planning on getting the 4Gig pack! (I was interested in getting Everyday Shooter along with the 4Gig and the astonishingly beautiful piano black PSP, but now I’ll have to wait!!!!) I’m not going to lie, but this makes me kind of mad! Doesn’t it make sense to please ALL consumers! Don’t forget about the minority! The majority may be VERY important, but us “minority” are loyal fans that care!

I guess I’ll just have to add it to my christmas list… :(

+ piqu1655 on October 27th, 2008 at 6:41 pm said:

Why on Earth would you cancel the only pack that I have heard anyone is waiting for? You know that not everyone wants the Ratchet & Clank package with the 1 measly GB card. What ever happened to a Black Core system? We will provide the cards and games, you don’t need to preselect them for us to have your own advantage, Sony. Keep your game and your card and take some of the (over) price off! PS the scanlines are pathetic didn’t anyone test?

+ MeltTech on October 27th, 2008 at 6:41 pm said:

FAIL! I guess that’s the only 3000 retailers can sell, because it’s the only 3000 they have. I was about to upgrade my 1000 to a 2000 the week after my buddy got a 2000. 3 days later the 3000 is announced and a great bundle w/ 4gb stick to carry w/ me on business for those boring flights to watch movies. Now that’s not available, you can’t fix the scan lines, so Q1 09 to Q2 09 the 4000 will be announced. With internal 8gb memory, brite lcd and no scanlines.

I’ll wait…

+ outkast32 on October 27th, 2008 at 6:46 pm said:

OK. LISTEN TO US PLEASE!

WE DONT WANT ANYMORE PSP1 VERSIONS.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR A PSP2, WE WANT 2 ANALOG STICKS.

WE WANT BETTER PS3 CONNECTIVITY- WHICH WILL ONLY HAPPEN WITH A PSP2!

JUST COME OUT WITH ONE NEXT E3!

IF SONY DOESNT NO COME OUT WITH A PSP2 NEXT YEAR THEY FAIL

+ zeel on October 27th, 2008 at 6:46 pm said:

what! ive been planing to get the 4GB pack and sell the mem card (cuz I alredy have one) so I could get the new PSP in black I do not want to wait that long ive been waiting I gues there is only one thing that we can count on with sony: they will alwas manage to screw stuff up just at least give us the $170
PSP by its self now thats all I want! I dont want rached and clank and I shur dont want a SILVER PSP and theres no way I’m gona wait that long maby I should do what all my friends are telling me to do “get a DS” “the DS is better” “save your money and get a PC/360″ I wanted to be a loyal playstation guy but man I this is not something easy to deal with IDK the DS has a touch screen and the 360 has halo3 and my PC is well. . .

+ Squamden on October 27th, 2008 at 6:47 pm said:

There have been many negative reactions regarding the PSP 3000′s screen. What exactly are you planning to do about the issues in teh new screen?

+ TRIX_BOL on October 27th, 2008 at 6:49 pm said:

I saw this PSP-3000 on my nearest GameStop, but i didn’t notice that. I thought it was really a 4GB Memory Stick.

+ zeel on October 27th, 2008 at 6:54 pm said:

and what about all thos who preordered? there orders are gona get canceled there not going to be happy

+ zeel on October 27th, 2008 at 7:00 pm said:

oh and whats up with 45 bucks for the card thats like $20 more than it was in the bundell! forget sony an 8gb sandisk pro DUO is only $50 I gues sony just dosent wand to give it mem card to peple for a resonable price so they called off the bundell

+ jqtaxpayer on October 27th, 2008 at 7:02 pm said:

So by “streamlining” do you really mean “screwing the consumer out of $50″?

Looks like you’re cribbing from MS now.

+ meta1militia on October 27th, 2008 at 7:04 pm said:

+ wavesln on October 27th, 2008 at 7:05 pm said:

I’m all fine with my slim thanks.

+ AceGamer on October 27th, 2008 at 7:09 pm said:

Boooo. Count me out. I was going to upgrade, and this looked like an excellent deal. But not anymore.

+ Jeigh on October 27th, 2008 at 7:12 pm said:

So… If the 4GB stick is being taken out… does the price go down?

+ revolutionary on October 27th, 2008 at 7:12 pm said:

Care to comment on the “scanline” issue that seems to be plaguing the 3000′s screen?

Is Sony doing anything to fix this?

+ Jeterocks on October 27th, 2008 at 7:14 pm said:

wow…so there isn’t going to be a black version anymore? No chance I will be getting the silver version. When it comes to my Sony Electronics, they HAVE to be black.

+ Koneesha on October 27th, 2008 at 7:15 pm said:

Wow. This is the first time i am actually mad . The only good bundle is now cancelled. OMG Sony Are you Serious Really?

+ NoyBoy on October 27th, 2008 at 7:19 pm said:

Wow that kinda bites. And why a bundle with such an old game?? And no four gig either? Come on Sony, just make a PSP 2 or something, no more firmware updates ore upgraded PSP, Just make a number two.

+ Adisah on October 27th, 2008 at 7:20 pm said:

Man I remember when a 1 gig stick was like $100. That was the worst. $50 for 4GB that’s a steal lol

+ Masterofallz on October 27th, 2008 at 7:22 pm said:

@8.
Tell me how it would be PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE TO CONTROL 2 ANALOG STICKS AT THE SAME TIME, AND PRESS THE OTHER BUTTONS.
Dont make stupid comments. 2 analog sticks is the stupidest complaint I’ve ever heard.

+ Ortohinco on October 27th, 2008 at 7:23 pm said:

How about some games? The PSP line up for the rest of the year is utter trash. I guess Sony abandoned the PSP, seeing as not even them are releasing a game for it.

+ TrentIsSmoking on October 27th, 2008 at 7:30 pm said:

HAHAHA Stupid Sony… I was also getting the 4gb PSP3000 pack when it came out in a few weeks… but now? Ratchet and Clank? Wow… So when 12 year olds stop being your target PSP owner let me know… They will always want the DS. Sony had a chance to make a mint this holiday season and they chose to ignore it… And it is a slap in the face to say hey, if you want the 4gb stick buy it… 49.99… LAME!!! Heck if you wanted a piano black PSP buy the crap silver one and spray paint it…

+ tryp on October 27th, 2008 at 7:30 pm said:

Or buy the Lexar Gaming 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo (MS Pro Duo) Flash Card Model MSDP4GB-40-658 for 24.99 —decisions decisions o_0

+ Protopet on October 27th, 2008 at 7:30 pm said:

The memory stick prices have to be cheaper.

I can get a 160gb HDD for the PS3 for $25 more.

+ Koneesha on October 27th, 2008 at 7:31 pm said:

hopefully this is just to fix the special scanline feature and then they release it.

+ cmargary on October 27th, 2008 at 7:33 pm said:

That’s to bad, I don’t know what customer feedback they get but the 4gb pack was the one I wanted.

The reason now that keep me back it’s the hardware failure thing about the screen that even and update will not fix it because… it’s in the hardware lol. If the improve it’s the screen why you make a bad one and released even if you know it?

+ GAMINGPRO on October 27th, 2008 at 7:42 pm said:

I was waiting for the 4GB Entertainment Pack.
No big deal, juss buy the 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo seperately, or even 8GB or 16GB. Whatever, who cares. I juss want a Piano Black PSP 3000.

+ Masterofallz on October 27th, 2008 at 7:42 pm said:

@15
“You guys are dumb. You can buy the PSP 3000 with the 4gb right now. They’re IN STORES NOW!!!”

+1.

+ Solofire on October 27th, 2008 at 7:42 pm said:

Are there any plans to address the scan-line issues of the new 300 screen?

+ TheGuardian1973 on October 27th, 2008 at 7:43 pm said:

DAMN, I WAS WAITING FOR THAT ONE, OH WELL!!! :(

+ Solofire on October 27th, 2008 at 7:43 pm said:

*3000

+ TristanMike on October 27th, 2008 at 7:45 pm said:

So let me get this straight… you have a product, that’s selling like hotcakes, and you’re going to cut it down ? Did I read that right ? Seriously ?

I must be missing something….

+ Sephiroth on October 27th, 2008 at 7:46 pm said:

Man I can’t believe this, guys someone up there MUST be fired, you have been screwing us over and over and over in the last few weeks(months) so much this is really annoying and frustrating, If I could I would take the job of whoever is in charge of these decisions and do the job for free just to show you guys how the job must be done. The PSP 3000 with a 4 GB mem stick was the one everybody I know wanted, but then you just come out here and mouth off such a ridiculous thing like this, I can’t believe you guys, I’m really trying to understand what’s the logic behind your decisions like this one or the one of taking off PS2 BC compatibility AT ALL from the PS3, but really I can’t find it anywhere, I’m completely pissed and dissapointed on you guys, you don’t even deserve my Meteor anymore.

Oh and BTW, FIX THE SCANLINES ISSUES EVERYBODY TALKS ABOUT! And don’t go playing know cuz I’m sure you know about it, it will be a blasfemy against our intellect if you deny there is a scanline problem on the PSP 3000 when there are tons of proves of that on the NET

+ WHAT on October 27th, 2008 at 7:46 pm said:

What happened to the other stuff coming this year for the PSP? Camera, GPS, further PSP to PS3 connectivity. The year of the software! Plus just to add that I would love a kart racer with breakfast cereal caricatures. Being on the back of every cereal box would do far more for console sales than 100 LBP games.

+ smokey_vols on October 27th, 2008 at 7:48 pm said:

I don’t believe this, something doesn’t seem right. I mean the new PSP has been out for what, a couple of weeks now and they are already canceling one of the packs? I think this has something to do with the problems the new PSP has been having and not that there wasn’t demand for it. As you can tell by these post, there is demand.

+ darkiewonder on October 27th, 2008 at 7:50 pm said:

what customers are they asking that do NOT want the memory stick UGH!

+ P_tear_griffin on October 27th, 2008 at 7:52 pm said:

???? you could’ve at least left it as a limited time offer and then went ahead with stream lining it. :P

+ AdeptHavoc on October 27th, 2008 at 8:00 pm said:

Wow, this really sucks.

I would rather have a nice Memory Stick… and you just launched the PS Store. Have fun actually storing a UMD Legacy download on a 1GB Stick, it’s kinda making us buy a 4GB Stick anyways…

This sucks.

+ kspraydad on October 27th, 2008 at 8:05 pm said:

Gamasutra just had an article on retailers being more cautious with inventory given the current economic climate.

Quote: Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian, who says he’s “cautiously optimistic although sales are a little uneven.”

Echoing recent statements by Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot, Sebastian agrees retailers are being more cautious about their upfront inventory purchases.

You may have also hear the other recent story about retailers no longer wishing to carry multiple SKU of boxed items…http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/21/fewer-new-music-peripherals/…though the PSP Entertaiment pack isn’t a music peripheral..retailers DO have to decide where to commit floor space to various products and I’m thinking SONY has heard from retail that the space isn’t going to be there for them.

+ zeel on October 27th, 2008 at 8:06 pm said:

this is a scam totaly and compleatly

+ erdie on October 27th, 2008 at 8:08 pm said:

@8

What’s this “we” stuff?

Speak for yourself!

+ d3adliner on October 27th, 2008 at 8:08 pm said:

Yup, I was planning on buying the memory stick pack… that is until I saw how crappy the screen actually is. Now this announcement just finalized my decision.

+ kspraydad on October 27th, 2008 at 8:14 pm said:

@44…did you see it ‘live’? It looks awesome…the stories on the net are WAAAYYYY over blown.

+ hife on October 27th, 2008 at 8:20 pm said:

Goodness Sony. Shady deals all over the place recently. Please don’t alienate us.

+ kiikooo on October 27th, 2008 at 8:22 pm said:

@37

i do agree there is something fishy about all this.

but cmon 44 comments = demand ???

+ Aggie_CEO on October 27th, 2008 at 8:25 pm said:

Oh this is [DELETED]……..

I PRE-ORDERED THIS!!!!!!!!!

I dont WANT a GRAY PSP……..

I want a BLACK ONE!!!!!!!!!

PAGE 1 2 3