PS4-Watch_Dogs

PlayStation Network Video Content Update

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Oct 31, 2008 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

Hi again! The weekend’s here – time for your weekly update of new movie & TV shows on the PlayStation Network.

This week we’ve added new video content from the following television series:

• American Dad, Season 4
  • Sons of Anarchy, Season 1
  • Speed Grapher, Season 1
  • Squidbillies, Season 2
  • Top Tens, Season 1
  • Watchmen Motion Comic, Season 1
  • Weaponology, Season 1

We’ve also added the following feature films:

• 30 Days of Night
  • Ladyhawke
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • Last Holiday
  • Last Of The Red Hot Lovers
  • Les Formidables
  • Li’l Abner
  • Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
  • Logan’s Run
  • The Champ (1979)
  • The Departed
  • The Hunter
  • The Italian Job (1969)
  • The Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Beginning
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
  • The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
  • The Queen

top movies

top tv

Have a great weekend!

53 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ kspraydad on October 31st, 2008 at 6:06 am said:

Rated 1/5 until you address the licensing issues.

+ subbed on October 31st, 2008 at 6:06 am said:

I am still bitter about Futurama here…

+ u_nick on October 31st, 2008 at 6:08 am said:

Any news on Xam’d? Please? :(

+ blkant on October 31st, 2008 at 6:19 am said:

I’m with the other two posts above, WE WANT MORE XAM’D AND FUTURAMA!! Futurama movies too please :D

+ illfigja on October 31st, 2008 at 6:29 am said:

how about being this prompt with the game updates

+ Axecution on October 31st, 2008 at 6:30 am said:

Get this to Canada… seriously. Besides that, this seems like a pretty good update if you ask me!
4/5. It would have been 5/5 if it were in Canada (and i suppose EU… but whatever).

Thanks guys!

+ r-nice on October 31st, 2008 at 6:43 am said:

All you people do is complain; get a life. This is a huge update.

+ Keith K on October 31st, 2008 at 6:51 am said:

@7

Its a completely worthless update to everyone outside the US.

That gives about 1/20th of the global population a perfectly valid reason for complaint.

+ Keith K on October 31st, 2008 at 6:51 am said:

19/20*

+ nxp3 on October 31st, 2008 at 6:57 am said:

I guess if you like old movies and don’t want to go to the rental places then it might be worth renting on the ps3. But to rent new releases at these prices don’t seem economical. It really outweigh the convenience here. I haven’t rent a movie on the ps3 yet given how much is available out there. There’s just no advantage to it, when I do see it, I’ll rent it.

+ ToastyEwok on October 31st, 2008 at 6:59 am said:

Some of these movies have been on there for a while already.

So is this the complete movie list, not just the new released ones?

+ Eothred on October 31st, 2008 at 6:59 am said:

Bah, really really annoying to hear about such updates when you live in Europe. Keep up the good work, but please; do get this content to the rest of the world ASAP!

+ subbed on October 31st, 2008 at 7:02 am said:

I really don’t complain too much, but I have a right to and they have the right to ignore me or listen.

Until they actually post the shows they state that they posted I will complain(season 2). Beyond that its a good update.

+ ftwrthtx on October 31st, 2008 at 7:02 am said:

That’s alot of new videos.

+ AwRy108 on October 31st, 2008 at 7:04 am said:

Until I’m able to actually OWN the content I purchase (aka. have the ability to re-download content), then there’s no way in hell I’m spending money on the PSN Video Store.

If SONY ever corrects this issue, the PSN Video Store will be king; but at the moment, it’s this public knowledge that’s holding many people back from making purchases.

+ nxp3 on October 31st, 2008 at 7:12 am said:

@15

It’s probably part sony’s fault and mostly the movie studios. They just don’t allow you to own it. the movie and record industry are still in the stone age. I mean what’s the problem with allowing people to own it. Sony just don’t have the negotiating power as steve jobs. I mean the guy says he’s not going to sell content over a certain price and studios bend to it. Sony can’t do the the same.

+ zeke2040 on October 31st, 2008 at 7:15 am said:

oh that sucks… no xam’d lost memories

+ wolverine81 on October 31st, 2008 at 7:31 am said:

Some South Park would be nice!

+ C-h-a-o-s on October 31st, 2008 at 7:52 am said:

I do often wonder why we can’t redownload movies. That is one of the major reasons I don’t purchase, other being I have netflix.

+ Wolf_Dog on October 31st, 2008 at 7:53 am said:

Seriously, is there even a time frame for Canada?

+ WoodyWood09 on October 31st, 2008 at 7:55 am said:

Complain, complain, complain that is all you freaking people do, even if that added all the content you guys wanted there will still be some a** that complains!

+ cjflora on October 31st, 2008 at 7:58 am said:

I have yet to purchase anything in the video store, but I do like the idea. The price of the rentals is highish, but my Blockbuster is about 15 miles from my house, so if I rented a movie on the PSN it would likely be cheaper in the end. I subscribe to Netflix though, and am satisfied with their service. For about $17/month I normally rent about 3 movies a week which equals less than $1.50 a movie. My one complaint is that the turn around time can take up to 4 days after sending a movie back, so the instant ability of downloading a rental from PSN could be a very useful backup.

I suggest Sony do something like Netflix, and offer a monthly subscription service, and unlimited rentals. I do not mean like the Netflix that’s going to work for the 360. 360 owners are excited, but all Neflix customers have this option on their accounts. You can instantly watch movies, but not all movies. Just a select number of movies, and from browsing the list I have never seen anything I would want to watch. Plus, the instant movies on Netflix are slightly less than DVD quality, so I’d much prefer the HD content on the PSN than the 360.

+ Bone of World on October 31st, 2008 at 7:59 am said:

I assume it takes a little time to upload a list that size since several of the movies listed don’t yet appear on the store. I’ll check back later.

+ cjflora on October 31st, 2008 at 8:05 am said:

Before anyone comments, I understand that the idea of unlimited movies on the PSN for a monthly fee would likely be a bad idea. One thing Netflix has going for them is that there is a turnaround on sending movies via the mail, so there are only so many a person can rent a month. If we had access to instant movies via the PSN, we could literally watch dozens and dozens of movies each week, and in the end this would not be a good financial situation for Sony. So yea, I know it wouldn’t work, but it would be nice wouldn’t it? Maybe they could put a cap on it, like for $15-$20 a month you can download up to X amount of movies, some type of fair number that is convenient for PSN users but still fair enough for them to make money.

+ thingg on October 31st, 2008 at 8:05 am said:

@ people from Canada
ummmm… is it Sony’s fault your government’s laws are so ridiculous? And if you think about it from a business standpoint, they are gaining a potential consumer base of less than the size of California in return for going through the absolute [DELETED] that is Canadian copyright law. So if you don’t like getting shafted all the time, try electing people who will fix that problem.

+ Youlikeyams on October 31st, 2008 at 8:08 am said:

One hopes that next year’s European video store will deliver just as much content.

Ahahaha; like that’ll happen!

+ WHAT on October 31st, 2008 at 8:10 am said:

No way Grace woke up at 6:00 and posted this. We are being fooled.

+ Keith K on October 31st, 2008 at 8:17 am said:

@25 First of all: What do you know about Canadian copyright law?

Second: Why do these horribly intrusive laws not stop Microsoft?

+ Daver on October 31st, 2008 at 8:24 am said:

Is Heroes on the PSN video store? that would be great if not

I hope we will get info about the store in Canada soon
thanks

+ cjflora on October 31st, 2008 at 8:24 am said:

@27

So….why? Fooled how? Is someone going and hacking into the Playsation Blog and posting fake movie updates? Who exactly is fooling us?

+ cjflora on October 31st, 2008 at 8:25 am said:

There is probably no store in Canada because Canada requires like 80% of content in Canada to be canadian don’t they? Silly…*shakes head*

+ kspraydad on October 31st, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

@28…

He probably knows as much as you do about it. Microsoft’s LIVE in Canada is A: A joke and B: took an extra year to implement…just like the PSN Video Store will.

But…I still won’t buy it until there is a fix to the licensing / re download issues. I’ll continue to buy my content on DVD (since that is the quality of the DL at PSN anyway) and rip it to my PS3 HDD. Perfectly legal in Canada AND I don’t have to worry about my content going *POOF* one day.

+ xStatiCa on October 31st, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

Any update on pixeljunk Monsters? Last post about it mentioned it would come out on the 30th in the US and if anything changed about that release date something would be mentioned on the blog.

+ caliminius on October 31st, 2008 at 8:57 am said:

I don’t like adding to the complaints, but the content and policies of the PSN Video store are pretty lousy. Purchases should be allowed to be redownloaded, if not right away, at least after 30 days have passed since the previous download. Likewise, the selection is still pretty hit and miss when it comes to being to able to rent HD content. Sadly, Sony Pictures seems to be one of the biggest offenders; I took a count last weekend and less than 10% of Sony films were available in HD. Some studios were as high as 50% in HD…Sony needs to get its act together.

+ blkant on October 31st, 2008 at 9:03 am said:

kspraydad makes a good point.the licensing issue is total crap, that seriously needs to be fixed.

+ hurtween on October 31st, 2008 at 9:25 am said:

Yeah DVD all the way!!!

+ Nynja on October 31st, 2008 at 9:31 am said:

Love all the content updates and very impressed. BUT… Still not buying anything off the video store.

I have copies of Afro Samurai on my PS3 eating up disc space that I am ready to just delete. With all these games coming out and requiring installs, I can only store so much.

Thanx, but no thanx.

+ cjflora on October 31st, 2008 at 9:38 am said:

Yea, that’s another good point. I probabably won’t be buying any content in the movie store until I upgrade my HDD. I use PS3 as a media center, so I have music, pics, vidoe, games, demos, betas…Last night I had to delete stuff to download the Mirror’s Edge demo cuz my 80GB was full. I’m thinking 320GB upgrade.

+ illegalprelude on October 31st, 2008 at 9:48 am said:

wow. That is alot of content. I had no freaking clue Obama’s national address was on PSN. Thats really cool that we have that.

+ foolkiller79 on October 31st, 2008 at 10:26 am said:

Watchmen Chapter 3, finally.

Any reasoning as to why the PSN Store gets these a week later than other services?

+ smokey_vols on October 31st, 2008 at 10:46 am said:

WOW, what an update. I’m so glad to see 30 Days of Night, Child’s Play, Creepshow, Little Shop of Horrors, and Night of the Living Dead. This makes my day!

+ Shinogu on October 31st, 2008 at 11:31 am said:

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, hells yeah. And it’s the uncut version. :D

+ Prince_Serlith on October 31st, 2008 at 12:27 pm said:

Nice update. :D

+ AranhaHunter on October 31st, 2008 at 12:50 pm said:

The good new is: FINALLY a TV Show in HD, the bad news is that show is Prison Break…

Also, why do you have foreign movies in English language? I was gonna rent City of Men, but I hate dubbed movies, there should at least be an option for this.

+ AranhaHunter on October 31st, 2008 at 12:52 pm said:

@40

My guess is that PSN is a newer service still getting its feet wet, there’s a LOT to be done on the store as a whole, but especially on the video part of the store. It’s kind of weird that the new season of Sunny they had all the episodes up until 5 and then skipped 6 and 7 for some reason and put 8 up there. It’s especially weird because 5 and 6 are interconnected…

+ AranhaHunter on October 31st, 2008 at 12:56 pm said:

I don’t like the fact that I can’t browse by other big name studios such as New Line, Dreamworks, Miramax, Touchstone, how come there’s not a separate tab for them (their movies are not under their parent company either)? There should also be a smaller tab that says “Smaller Studios” or something and then point to Lorimar, Allied, whatever.

+ Johnny Sasaki on October 31st, 2008 at 1:01 pm said:

@8: Welcome to the *US* Playstation Blog. Are you lost, because you seem to be hassling the US branch on why they don’t release content elsewhere. Isn’t your beef with everybody *but* the US Blog, then?

cheers,
-Matthew

+ MikoNeko on October 31st, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

I’ll post this until we get the store:

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

+ Elsa43 on October 31st, 2008 at 6:15 pm said:

Seriously… I don’t think Grace or anyone from her department read these comments, because I write this same comment pretty much every week.

How hard is it to add “U.S.” in front of the words “Playstation Network”.
No, we Canadians don’t get this service… it may be many years before we get this service, but we ARE part of North American and the least you people can do when talking about features for the PS3 is to note if they are region specific.

This service IS region specific. It is specific to the U.S. Playstation Store.

It just feels rude to ignore Canadians and pretend that we don’t exist… or matter.

+ coramoor_ on November 2nd, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

actually this is the north american playstation blog, to go http://www.playstation.com go to north america, and in includes all of this despite using the prefix .us.

this is all north american related info, not that i care cause it’s legal to torrent in canada so why would you waste money on this [DELETED]

PAGE 1 2