GTAV PS4

PS3 Firmware (v2.52) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Nov 04, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi, everyone, I wanted to give you a heads up about an upcoming PS3 firmware update (v2.52). This minor update is coming soon and includes the following:

• The playback quality of some PS3 format software has been improved.
  • A text entry issue that occurs when using the on-screen keyboard, USB keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard with some PS3 format software has been addressed.

284 Comments

+ fed315 on November 4th, 2008 at 8:17 pm said:

OBABA baby 60 gig hear no problem and it fix the echo in voice chat when usin ps3 headset

+ stallyon84 on November 4th, 2008 at 8:20 pm said:

What about more avatars???? Come on Eric this should be such an easy task for your team to pump out.

+ NewYork214 on November 4th, 2008 at 8:21 pm said:

good hope this fixes the slowdown with the typing. it kept makin me pass the stupid letter i want

+ MakaiOokami on November 4th, 2008 at 8:24 pm said:

ThatPSPGuy it’s a joke dude. From tonight onward we need to finally get past the whole racist thing. It’s wonderful we have proof that majority of America isn’t as racist as we were less than 40 years ago. This is a monumental occasion and we should all be able to start to treat race as something just as important as what color shirt someone has one, or what their facial hair is like, cause quite frankly, we’ve proven that in America, anything is possible. So let’s get rid of that term of racism. The quickest way to do that is through playful joking. So don’t take it so seriously. We can now hopefully drop the “racist” word much faster than I imagined.

We should all make an “off-color” (pun not intended) joke tonight cause if we can’t get past a joke about a color, then we can’t get past hatred.

+ sk8ordie44 on November 4th, 2008 at 8:31 pm said:

I just downloaded the update, and it didn’t work… the text entry still has issue.

+ ftwrthtx on November 4th, 2008 at 8:33 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up

+ Daver on November 4th, 2008 at 8:41 pm said:

Will we have more infos soon about the keypad?
thanks

+ MakaiOokami on November 4th, 2008 at 8:44 pm said:

I’m sure there’s something that they aren’t telling us about this update. I have a 16+ meg connection. I was waiting for the very minute that the update went up. I may have been a few minutes slow this time just like last time, but it took 3x the amount of time to get this one going as the last one… so… I think they’re leaving some content out. Took me 8 minutes to fully DL and install the last one, took me abotu 28 minutes to get it this time.

+ SDkngsht on November 4th, 2008 at 8:46 pm said:

can we get an update to fix issues with the PS earpiece? i bought SOCOM with the earpiece and it works great but when you plug it back into the charging dock it disconnects and you have to go into settins to manually reconnect it.

it’s more of a hassle to use at this point than a pleasure. when it’s connected it’s the best earpiece i’ve ever had but manually connecting it every time i turn my ps3 on is annoying as hell.

+ Dice_for_Death_ on November 4th, 2008 at 8:46 pm said:

My only question: Is the recovery menu still accessible?

Otherwise, sounds like a decent update.

+ Enforcer_X on November 4th, 2008 at 8:51 pm said:

Never had an issues but glad Sony is on it, fixing issues for whomever may have them even if they are “minor”.

Thanks for the heads up!

+ MakaiOokami on November 4th, 2008 at 8:53 pm said:

SDkngsht… don’t they have to turn off the blutooth and turn it into a USB mic when you charge it? That’s not such an easy thing to fix without possibly causing unwanted errors. Is it really that bad that you have to go into the options when you use a mic? I hardly use my blutooth mic… so it’s no biggie for me. I have a cheapo Blutooth Mic that cost at most less than the one I currently use, worse audio quality, and has a ton of connection issues with the PS3 that rear it’s head on occasion… I’d rather hve your issues than mine.

+ phillips on November 4th, 2008 at 8:54 pm said:

it´s true everyone is just a minor update

+ BlackTooth93 on November 4th, 2008 at 8:54 pm said:

obama!!!

+ leetfoo on November 4th, 2008 at 9:10 pm said:

It would be a lot easier to be excited if you guys would give us better info. As it is, sounds like this is just a pain I’ll have to sit through before my PS3 will allow me back online… yay!?

+ EmotionEnginedPS2 on November 4th, 2008 at 9:15 pm said:

How about instead of “some PS3 format software” improvement, we actually get a LIST of games that apply to this update? Otherwise it means nothing with the amount of PS3 format software titles out at the moment…

+ KazeEternal on November 4th, 2008 at 9:29 pm said:

What about a patch to use Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse with PS2 titles and an emulator ofr PS2 titles?

+ Clixster on November 4th, 2008 at 9:31 pm said:

AWSOME! thanks for fixing the text entry errors.

+ superchriswebsite1 on November 4th, 2008 at 9:36 pm said:

Have you fixed video playback? Whenever i open videos on my HDD that i downloaded off the ps store or any other files it comes up black and white and flickering. Please fix this. BTW i live in Australia if it helps

+ Sackboom on November 4th, 2008 at 9:48 pm said:

DOES IT FIX THE ISSUE WHICH CONTROLLERS CONSTANTLY LOSE CONNECTION?

+ Shiden or Combo on November 4th, 2008 at 9:51 pm said:

With this update just working on bugs (I am grateful an all but it’s your job/responsibility to make sure thing are good) is anything big in the works?

I also wanted to know if we can expect any PS2 BC support? like in game XMB, the ability to remain online(PSN) and if an emulator is in fact in the works?

+ permanentmarc on November 4th, 2008 at 9:56 pm said:

why the f@#k hasn’t there been some kind of patch for COD4 PS3 dualshock controller??? I mean come on!!!!! Even the PS1 and 2 had the vibration feature. I paid $600 for the PS3 and $60 for COD4!!

+ DudeFX on November 4th, 2008 at 9:59 pm said:

I hope this fixes LBP, because mine gets sluggish and delayed when I try to type using on-screen keyboard during gameplay.

+ Jeff Chen on November 4th, 2008 at 10:08 pm said:

Ya, it must be LBP, bringing up the text entry window always make the whole console extremely slow.

+ heisert on November 4th, 2008 at 10:15 pm said:

Some Ideas/Bugs:

-improve HQ Modus Playstation Headset. Sometimes the incoming Voice stutters in the Chat when HQ is set on.
-Unvisible PSN “online” Profil Modus
-Better Notification Options like show “only Messages/only User goes online “or” offline.

+ whatisdelicious on November 4th, 2008 at 10:18 pm said:

I just really hope this fixes the freezing in MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and LittleBigPlanet. I’m so tired of those two games just freezing up on me.

After in-game XMB was added, the PS3 just isn’t as stable. It just doesn’t have the memory to support it without making some significant reductions in functionality to the XMB.

For instance, I don’t need thumbnails to load when I’m just trying to pick a song to listen to for Pacific Rift. I really don’t. Save the memory for the game. Seriously.

+ pwner18 on November 4th, 2008 at 10:23 pm said:

Is there ever going to be some sort of detection system that reads what firmware you have installed, and only downloads what it needs to change instead of just downloading the entire system OS?
Anyways, can’t wait for 2.60 (haha, jk)

Obama won!!! Yipee!~!~!~!

+ dappaute on November 4th, 2008 at 10:46 pm said:

kinna off topic but i wish someone made a littlebigplanet level for Obama….

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on November 4th, 2008 at 10:49 pm said:

Is this update to retroactively censor all our OTHER PS3 games?

+ MakaiOokami on November 4th, 2008 at 11:01 pm said:

This patch fixed some audio issues and some stability stuff.

Don’t expect to hear a word about PS2 emulation until the PS2 stops selling.

Sony has nothing to do with COD4 vibration… if you dont’ have it by now, you probably will never get it and you need to find another shooter if it’s that big a deal for you.

With a patch like this a list of things fixed might end up being really long, unecessary and give someone a lot of stuff to complain about for no reason since it was to fix those problems anyway. If you don’t know what issue was fixed, it probably wasn’t that big a deal for you anyway.

+ Gamil on November 4th, 2008 at 11:25 pm said:

Woot!!! it fixed my connectivity issues for Resistance 2. I wasn’t able to stay connected through the public Beta, and couldn’t do jack before installing hte new update!!! Now I have absolutely no problems with connectivity (at least…as far as Resistance 2 is concerned)

+ darkedgex on November 4th, 2008 at 11:27 pm said:

@ #17:

Yeah, the video pausing when you access the XMB using the PS button is VERY ANNOYING. It was nice being able to browse while the video kept playing, and if I want to pause it I can do that with the handy pause button on my PS3 remote. At the very least this “auto pause” should be an option, not something that’s mandatory…

+ lesferdinand on November 4th, 2008 at 11:29 pm said:

Any chance that the AAC tags will be finally fixed in an upcoming update? Would be nice if I could transfer my non-DRM music to PS3 without having to convert 20GB of music to lower quality MP3 first.

+ Insane_Rooster on November 4th, 2008 at 11:35 pm said:

Couldn’t the release of a new update have waited until the day when you had more changes?

This is starting to get ridiculous. I wouldn’t mind if the updates were as quick as on Xbox 360, but here I have to wait an equally long time, regardless whether the update bring several new updates to the table, or you’re just correcting a spelling error!

+ Sig-gotyouth on November 4th, 2008 at 11:51 pm said:

I was truly hoping you would fix the video playback now pausing when you want to enter the xmb to check a message for example.

It used to play in the background still, but now my experience interupts… PLEASE PLEASE SORT THIS OUT. Many thanks in advance

+ jason0305 on November 5th, 2008 at 12:11 am said:

ATTENTION NEED HELP: I was downloading this new update but i wasnt paying attention while it was downloading it but right when i get back to my ps3, everything just went black. i turn it off and back on but all it was there was a black screen. Do yo guys have any idea to fix it?

+ MK24ever on November 5th, 2008 at 12:15 am said:

@ 121

Contollers don’t lose the connection, they just go off to spare batteries, you can change this in system settings.

+ Rogerjak on November 5th, 2008 at 12:22 am said:

Minor update. Predictive text was kinda messed up…

+ MK24ever on November 5th, 2008 at 12:25 am said:

@ 136

Maybe the video output changed, press the power button till it beeps 3 times and connect the TV with the composite cables that came with it to test, then change the oputput to HDMI again and test.

+ MK24ever on November 5th, 2008 at 12:33 am said:

@ Everyone else.

YES, the 60Hz video issue as been fixed, so no more B&W movies to PAL SD users.

+ Gibbs on November 5th, 2008 at 1:08 am said:

i hoped that this 2.52 would solve my problem, but it didn’t.
i have to wait 10-20 min to put in my discs , before my PS3 wants to read disc and show the disc icon.
So that i can start up my game that i want to play :(

+ Fersis on November 5th, 2008 at 2:08 am said:

Awesome.
I like the ‘customer support’ :D
Good work guys!

+ striplay on November 5th, 2008 at 2:27 am said:

Thanks for the update…

What are the odds that one or all of these will be addressed in the very near future?

They are all very important, but NTSC/PAL support would make my day!

Here’s hoping for a reply…
Thanks!

+ Fersis on November 5th, 2008 at 2:40 am said:

@136 jason0305
Just restart it.
happened to me with other firmwares ,no biggie.

+ egres on November 5th, 2008 at 3:06 am said:

Why do I have to disable 720p when I want to play my games in 1080p (like: Deadspace, Uncharted, Burnout Paradise and the Mirrors edge demo) then turnaround and enable it again when I want to play a game that only support 720p?

Will this issue ever be resolved???… or will I have to do this throughout the rest of my PS3′s lifespan?

I love my PS3 to death but… this does get tedious after a while.

+ Netweb on November 5th, 2008 at 3:13 am said:

And install some of the bases for HOME service :D xD

Home is great… NEX? What is this?

PS: Don’t let Europe out o your MAP! We support you all the time!

+ huiboo on November 5th, 2008 at 3:14 am said:

Makai,
andeveryone else going on about those MS patent bs…
BulletToothTony Microsoft has a patent on that so called “TRUE IN – GAME music”
of which you speak of. They can’t do it any other way than they have it. It should be pretty well known that they have to support it via patching and by using a specific method. You’ll never see games like Enchanted Arms or Devil May Cry 4 with in game custom soundtracks. So… You have your answer.

I’m not affiliated with Sony but… there’s no reason you should be asking this I have known this for a long time. I read about that in an interview before the 2.4 patch even came out. Unfortunately your version of in game sound tracks is patented and can’t really be done as of yet.

Glad you can handle the truth buddy. Welcome to the team

There are at least three games, where you can go straight to the XMB ingame musicfolder and listento your music and continue playing, it even turns the OGST/ Original Game Soundtrack) off automatically = true ingame custom soundtracks…
So where is this patent here you are speaking of? Is Sony got sewed already by M$ for that?!
btw if such a patent exists, the usa will probably be the only country where this would be legal.

+ shooter0784 on November 5th, 2008 at 3:19 am said:

did the update a few mins after i saw the post

took maybe 50-60 secs here and im averaging like 28-35 mb downstream atm

didnt really have a prob with these issues but hey keep up the awesome work guys

+ TinkerGuru on November 5th, 2008 at 3:19 am said:

Great info…ya know a very good game released yesterday. You could report that…would be more interesting.

+ paul-p1988 on November 5th, 2008 at 3:37 am said:

does this sort out the problem of typing with a PS3 control being RIDICULOUSLY slow compared to previous firmwares, coz i dont really want to need my USB keyboard on my lap when im trying to talk to my PSN mates….