Driveclub

Criterion Announces Burnout Paradise Legendary Cars

Jeremy Chubb's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Chubb on Nov 07, 2008 // Community Manager, Criterion Games

Hey folks … great to be back on the only blog that counts (apart from the one you’ll find at www.criteriongames.com, of course).

We’re continuing to support Burnout Paradise through 2009. The fun starts with our Burnout Paradise Party Pack in Feb and will be followed by our awesome Burnout Paradise Legendary Cars Pack.

This year, we’ve introduced some of the most incredible vehicles yet seen in a Burnout game. Our FREE Cagney pack brought you the crazy Steel Oval Racer and the Hippie Wagon, and the FREE Bikes Pack introduced motorcycles to Paradise City for the first time ever.

In 2009, we’re taking Burnout vehicles to the next level with some truly unbelievable new vehicles. First up – The Jansen 88 Special.

This classic 1980’s styled silver sports car is based on the fan-favourite Jansen P12, but we’ve made a few interesting modifications.

Special Drive
Fill the gauge and hit boost to trigger burning flame trails from your back wheels. The 88 Special’s fast, manoeuvrable and great in the air.

In fact, if you want to take off, this is just the car for you. Hit L3 to switch to hover mode – the wheels retract and the car takes off and hovers through Paradise City at head height.

Seriously. It hovers.

Special Flying
This is the first of 4 cars that we’re making available as part of a wealth of new downloadable content for Burnout Paradise. They’re available to buy individually or discounted, if you pick up the whole set. In addition to the Jansen 88 Special, look out for the Cavalry Bootlegger, Manhattan Spirit and the GT Nighthawk!

We’ll bring you details and footage of these in a future post or on Crash TV (our video podcast), and we’ll be back next week with another killer announcement for next year’s awesome Burnout Paradise content.

And as always, we’re on hand for a while to answer your questions below!

125 Comments

+ lakaihigh on November 7th, 2008 at 11:05 am said:

Imma go ahead and buy this off the network now. thanks for sealing the deal guys! Seriously i saw that car and now I have to have it. its funny because my dads friend is currently restoring his deloreon. coincidence? I think not.

peace,
Lh

+ pick-e on November 7th, 2008 at 11:06 am said:

That is the most awesome thing ever.

+ BHard on November 7th, 2008 at 11:07 am said:

You’re kidding me McFly ! ! ! This just made my day seriously. How cool is that. . Looks like we’re going Back to the Future. Awesome.. [DELETED] they way you guys are going I wouldn’t be surprised if you busted out with Hover boards … awesome. You guys are seriously hooking all of us gamers up !! Great Job

+ Humanbones on November 7th, 2008 at 11:07 am said:

Holy crap guys!!,You guys are sooo frigging awesome,I am baffled at you guys are still suporting a games thats nearly over a year old but yet its still sooooo fun to play even after I have beating the game twice for 102% on cars and bikes and got all the Trophies,Criterian…You are gods!! Alot of developers should be taking notes from you.Bless you..keep up the awesome work!

+ JaKhris on November 7th, 2008 at 11:28 am said:

Marty : DOC ! I need that car !
Doc : Great Scott ! …

Awesome !!

+ jqtaxpayer on November 7th, 2008 at 11:30 am said:

Aww yeah… the DeLorean (or the Brand X equivalent, as is shown here) ought to be in EVERY racing game.

+ Johnbot5k on November 7th, 2008 at 11:34 am said:

The Power of Love!

+ shaneosan on November 7th, 2008 at 11:38 am said:

un-freaking-belieable.

I think I might buy this game twice just to show my support to (as far as i am concerned) the game company of the year.

Do you have a price point for this DLC? I will have NO problem paying for such cool content.

+ EvoAnubis on November 7th, 2008 at 11:47 am said:

Please tell me that GT Nighthawk = The Tumbler. That would also be a buy. Manhatten Spirit I already know HAS to be the Ecto 1 (Ghostbusters).

+ Enforcer_X on November 7th, 2008 at 11:49 am said:

Sony you need to aquire Criterion I want them all to my PS3 =)

88 MPH!

I have a question …
How will you guys continue to top this through 2009?

I mean WOW! I hope you guys are turning a serious profit on this game because your support and dedication to the community is with out a doubt the best bar none!

Dev’s everywhere should be taking notes!

Thanks for the blog Sony! I am proud to be a PS gamer! I felt like an outcast being the first with a PS3 and being made fun of it for it, but everyone has pulled it together.

Long live the video game industry!

+ SalMoriarty on November 7th, 2008 at 11:50 am said:

Will it be powered by Mr. Fusion?

+ BrianC6234 on November 7th, 2008 at 11:53 am said:

#39 – EA doesn’t really make Burnout. Criterion does. EA owns them but they seem to leave them alone. Burnout Paradise is definitely worth buying.

+ litobirdy on November 7th, 2008 at 11:59 am said:

EvoAnubis | November 7th, 2008 at 11:47 am

If the tumbler from batman was in this game. i’d melt lol that’d be THE SHIZIT. wat about the batpod OMGGGGG i gotta email Criterion NOW

+ JimmyStewart on November 7th, 2008 at 12:06 pm said:

Well the option to restart the race be included in the party pack for the owners of the original Burnout Paradise or is it only going to be in the Ultimate Box?

+ CHRP718 on November 7th, 2008 at 12:09 pm said:

Thanks Criterion. PlayStation fans appreciate your continuing support.

+ Cancerfish on November 7th, 2008 at 12:10 pm said:

The support offered for this game is worth the purchase alone!

+ litobirdy on November 7th, 2008 at 12:11 pm said:

JimmyStewart | November 7th, 2008 at 12:06 pm

huh? when was the restart race option announced? link please

+ uraizen on November 7th, 2008 at 12:16 pm said:

Flame trails and hovering? Wow … now that’s just awesome. Whoever thought of this needs a raise.

+ wavesln on November 7th, 2008 at 12:18 pm said:

LOL. Now that’s my kind of car.

+ VashNL on November 7th, 2008 at 12:23 pm said:

So, General Lee (Cavalry Bootlegger), Ecto 1 (Manhattan Spirit) and possibly the new Knight Rider 2008 KITT (Carson 500 GT, since that one is based on the Ford Mustang). Yeah, that sounds legendary.

Bring it on, love the DeLorean style car. Would be awesome if all of the cars would have something special like that. :D

+ markstew on November 7th, 2008 at 12:23 pm said:

have they included the dumb-down Citroen engine? that car was total crap in reality.

+ markstew on November 7th, 2008 at 12:24 pm said:

Enforcer_X | November 7th, 2008 at 11:49 am
criterion is owned by EA, there is no way in hell EA is going to sell it to sony.

+ rockymtnbri on November 7th, 2008 at 12:28 pm said:

BIGxDADDYxJAY, the “88” reference is to how many MPH the Delorean in BTTF had to hit to activate the flux capacitor! The line is “If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour… you’re gonna see some serious [DELETED]”

The fact that this is a hover car is TIGHT!!!

+ Ps3_Addict on November 7th, 2008 at 12:32 pm said:

honestly, i couldn’t care less about burnout. however, i do they they r doing great things with supporting their games with add-ons for over a year.

i just wish they would make a diffrent game.

psn: chad770

i play fallout 3, CoD4, LBP, and soon CoD:WaW

+ THATPSPGUY on November 7th, 2008 at 12:44 pm said:

I think now’s the time to make the map fully OPEN with this car I will try to drive EVERYWHERE!

+ rAdIOhEaD73 on November 7th, 2008 at 12:46 pm said:

I just want to say to Criterion that what you have done and continue doing to this game is a labor of love and is just amazing.
I’ll buy all the DLC you put for sale, it will be my way to say THANK YOU!!!!

+ Stoffinator on November 7th, 2008 at 1:05 pm said:

How about the Batmobile from the first two Batman films? Those would be awesome to drive around in Paradise City.

+ C-h-a-o-s on November 7th, 2008 at 1:12 pm said:

sweeeeeeeeet, can’t wait to try it out! Any chance of u guys taking out that stupid trophy that reqyires using a web cam..it’s only one stopping me from 100% trophy wise :(

+ .Seiven. on November 7th, 2008 at 1:14 pm said:

OMG AWESOME!!!!

+ pat1202003 on November 7th, 2008 at 1:18 pm said:

The car is cool! But addons that are not free is not cool. Why the heck are they charging for these addons when the other where free?

+ GGCAN on November 7th, 2008 at 1:22 pm said:

Thanks for the update Jeremy.

Definately love and will get that hover car..amazing !

+ rockymtnbri on November 7th, 2008 at 1:22 pm said:

THATPSPGUY…

You’re on the money! It’d be nice to hover over the lake or areas where wheels are a problem!

+ TristanMike on November 7th, 2008 at 1:29 pm said:

@ 39 vandam

I’m right there with ya brother. I have been boycotting EA for quite some time now as well.

However, this game is absolutely brilliant. I have set aside the boycott (albeit temporarily) to buy this game and support these devs, something I don’t do light-heartedly.

The constant influx of new, free, material is not only comforting, it’s reassuring and sets the standard for other developers, in my eyes.

I have no idea how this title ended up under the EA label, or how it has managed to stay outside the whole “EA=Crap” thing, but whatever the reasons, it’s only good for gamers. At 30 bucks, I seriously recommend picking this game up and setting aside the boycott for now (think of it as the entry into possibly redeeming some faith with EA).

PS. Dead Space is also really, really awesome.

+ Squall2600 on November 7th, 2008 at 1:47 pm said:

Great Scott!!!

+ ykiki on November 7th, 2008 at 1:54 pm said:

@79 “Why the heck are they charging for these addons when the other where free?”

My question would be “How the heck did they go so long WITHOUT charging us for these add-ons when so many other companies nickel and dime us to death?

With all of the FREE upgrades that have come our way this year, I don’t mind paying a little next year to support a game I only paid $29.99 for.

+ EddyxMob on November 7th, 2008 at 2:05 pm said:

you guys rule!

+ drew713 on November 7th, 2008 at 2:10 pm said:

wow, great content going to be released a year after the game has been out. very nice.

+ cioffi93 on November 7th, 2008 at 2:12 pm said:

weren’t these updates supposed to be free?

+ BlackTooth93 on November 7th, 2008 at 2:37 pm said:

lmao :D

+ bigbadbros on November 7th, 2008 at 2:44 pm said:

Your support is amazing!

When will we see the island?

+ adamska2020 on November 7th, 2008 at 3:41 pm said:

Okay, I’m sold. Now for a quick jaunt to my Gamestop for a (new) copy.

+ pick-e on November 7th, 2008 at 3:53 pm said:

Will we be able to travel to the past and the future of Paradise City in this car? Imagine being in a marked man event in the 1800’s with horse-driven buggies trying to take you down! :p

+ what0080 on November 7th, 2008 at 3:54 pm said:

BTTF FTW!!!

+ SinsToJudge on November 7th, 2008 at 4:09 pm said:

Seriously awesome!

But can you please consider adding in some kind of check point system? It’s the only thing keeping me from buying this game.

+ gmk218 on November 7th, 2008 at 4:48 pm said:

when are nyou going to expand pardice island hope thats comming soon

+ Ti_dus on November 7th, 2008 at 4:49 pm said:

First add on I don’t like :( I want Burnout not Wipeout! Please finally start making Black 2.

+ kaako on November 7th, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

THIS is how you support your game with kick ass DLC. Other devs should definitely take note of what Criterion has done and continues to do with their title. Gamers should buy Burnout Paradise just out of principle to support the devs that clearly “get it” when it comes to DLC.

Thank you to everyone at Criterion. Now, when can we get BLACK 2? ;p

+ noelpioroda on November 7th, 2008 at 6:07 pm said:

Wait, will this be free?

+ FritoZ on November 7th, 2008 at 6:29 pm said:

Jumpin Gigawatts!

sold!

and i second the batmobile (old school and tim burton’s!)and Kitt from knight rider!

this game really is great!

+ TheHakku on November 7th, 2008 at 6:47 pm said:

Hahaha, 88 Special. I get it. The DeLorean couldn’t go faster than 88mph because it would then travel to the time specified.