Street Fighter V

Nov 11

Insomniac Games Opens its Doors for Fans

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Nov 11, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

The release of the critically lauded Resistance 2 didn’t mark the end of a journey for Insomniac Games. With a couple of fan-based events last week, the Burbank-based developers renewed their relationship with their biggest fans. Just a few days ago, Insomniac threw open their doors to the whole of Southern California, and close to 200 members of the Insomniac community took the day off work or school and trekked into the valley for a full day of gaming, autograph schwag sessions, and an inside look at how they made Resistance 2.

If you weren’t able to make it – here’s what you missed:

Earlier in the week, Resistance 2 Launch Day, the team was at the San Francisco Metreon to hook up the assembled crowd with a special price on the limited edition of R2, autographs, and even the chance to feature on the cover of the game.

Yes, that’s a Bullseye rifle in her hands. Before midnight, SCEA presented Insomniac CEO Ted Price with a detailed replica of the Mark I rifle, complete with laser scope and removable cartridge. No Chimeran hybrids were harmed during the event.

Overall, it was a great series of events showcasing the importance of community and fan support to Insomniac’s game development. We’ll have more on the Burbank Community Day later this week, and look for an even deeper recap soon on Insomniac’s Web site.

PAGE 1 2

+ 40cal on November 11th, 2008 at 7:00 pm said:

Man, you guys are going to make me move back to Cali.

Really though, thanks to all the Insomniacs for all of the hard work you guys put into these games. I have only gotten to play R2 for about an hour and the beta. My PS3 will be back from the SCC on Friday. Still cant believe it broke. :(

Friday :)

+ aimlessdrift on November 11th, 2008 at 7:04 pm said:

This is really a great game and the amount of teamwork that goes into a good co-op campaign makes it so worthwhile. Just one question — well, it’s more of a thought than a question.

I was thinking of how epic it would be to have a co-op map of Philadelphia, since it gets mentioned throughout the game, more or less. Is it a possibility or is it just wishful thinking?

+ MegaClank on November 11th, 2008 at 7:11 pm said:

One thing I think that could be fixed in Co-Op would be the colours for knowing if you killed the enemy or someone else did. It always seems that I killed someone, but then my friend says he got the kill.

And whenever I see a +200, it’s because we just finished the mission, do I just suck? XD

At least I’m good at being a Medic. >>

+ BZKlint on November 11th, 2008 at 7:19 pm said:

As thoug I’m not jealous enough, you guys gotta go and do something like this :(

j/k (I guess…) Hope whoever went had fun :)

+ FritoZ on November 11th, 2008 at 7:20 pm said:

@James Stevenson

I for one appreciate your comments regarding the acknowledgment of issues and the proactive attitude in fixing anything that might arise..this is called “excellent customer service” and unfortunately seems to be running in short order these days with some developers..*coff* *coff* *Lionhead* *coff* *coff*

and I haven’t even bought this game yet! but i have had nothing but great times with all things Insomniac, and will of course be hopefully getting this for Xmas (if my girlfriend thinks i’ve been good enough)

anyway, thanks for not just ignoring your customers that experience issues, however small tehy may be, to that customer, thay are very big!

Dealing with them head on and upfront is the best way to handle this, it makes the issues melt away instead of fester and grow and breed customer dissatisfaction and dis-allegiance..

bad word of mouth travels quicker than ever nowadays with so many gaming sites, gaming forums, and gaming blogs..(and CNN’s holograms! :) )

Not that it would ever get that bad for Insomniac, you guys rock! I think Ted Price had one of the first few blogposts here, did he not?

anyway, thanks again for taking the time to comment here!

+ FritoZ on November 11th, 2008 at 7:23 pm said:

@Jeff- so spill it! what did you have to do with the making of R2? Did you and Ted Price go out and burn one every day at lunch or something?

Or did you green-screen character model for a chimeran?

Inquiring minds want to know!

+ BZKlint on November 11th, 2008 at 7:32 pm said:

Oh yeah, and if I mailed my copy of Resistance 2 (or Chimeran action figure?) in, could some of you guys at Insomniac Games sign it for me? It would be much apprieciated :) And no, I wouldn’t sell it on eBay ;)

Also, who made that sweet @ss replica? It was DC Comics, wasn’t it? Admit it! :D

+ C-DuB on November 11th, 2008 at 7:33 pm said:

R2 is freaken awsome….a bit short but awsome. Since the ending leaves us hangen ( The Chimera are not defeated, an i bet Hales not dead ) I hope they`ve already started with R3 cause i cant wait another 2 yrs to see what happens, if not tell them to get a move on.

+ FritoZ on November 11th, 2008 at 7:34 pm said:

Dude! spoiler alert! ^^^^^^

i have to try and forget that now..

+ GGCAN on November 11th, 2008 at 7:43 pm said:

Thanks for the post and video.

Love the game, just gotta practice a lot more.

+ momba0014 on November 11th, 2008 at 7:44 pm said:

I really need local spit screen.Resistance 1 had it so why take it away in R2?

+ stennex on November 11th, 2008 at 8:10 pm said:

I cannot believe that Insomniac who posted those documents on the PS3 hardware in detail claiming that they totally understand the system to its core would end up screwing R2. I honestly believe the team left off a layer of graphics, you know that one final layer that would polish everything. The game play is great and so is the scale of the levels and bosses. But the game reminds me of when i use to play Half Life on PC with the graphics card turned all the way up. KZ2 looks superior and so does Ratchet and Clank. I think Insomniac should concentrate on the R&C and Jack and Daxter series. Am i the only one who sees that R2 has an annoying look to it? R1 was gray but it looked more pleasing. I still rate Insomniac but i cannot fathom how they could put out R2 in that condition. They should have just sold us the online component. I would have been really happy with that alone. Anyway next year its KZ2 hope Sony does not screw that up.

+ OverlordSpike on November 11th, 2008 at 8:18 pm said:

isnt that a GGL shirt?..or is it GB?..i forgot

+ jgnyy32 on November 11th, 2008 at 8:23 pm said:

i was there and it was a lot of fun hope they have one next year!!! :)

+ ElChivito89 on November 11th, 2008 at 9:04 pm said:

For starters I just have to say that Resistance 2 is…..well it’s……actually it has no words for it, it’s that great, it is just so AWESOME!!
I am having one major and consistent problem though. Everytime i want to play co-op with my friends and we try to join or create a game it keeps saying network error. Now I don’t know if its my internet connection or the game, but my internet is working just fine. Just wondering if there’ll be a patch for this.
Other than that, I love the game. Keep up the great work!

+ Shadow_Prince on November 11th, 2008 at 9:32 pm said:

You guys are awesome…I had to take a week off work after i got R2. Thats how addictive it is.

+ rexor0717 on November 11th, 2008 at 9:35 pm said:

They should have kept as many as weapons as possible. Really, there is 12 weapons. That is so few.

+ P_tear_griffin on November 11th, 2008 at 10:00 pm said:

I wish insomniac did a Resistance museum like the one found in R&C:UYA. That would be awesome.

+ Johnny Sasaki on November 11th, 2008 at 11:16 pm said:

hehe, Community Day was awesome :D

+ barom on November 11th, 2008 at 11:20 pm said:

Wow, Ryan Schneider looks really short in the video. I remember seeing him on Bonus Round and my memory tells me he was tall. Anyway it was a really cool video. Wish I was there.

To Insomniac, are you guys gonna release some making of videos on PSN? Like you did for Ratchet (and I think you did it for Resistance as well)?

+ Trat on November 12th, 2008 at 1:29 am said:

Lots of fat people there man. Go to the gym!!

+ frostquake on November 12th, 2008 at 1:53 am said:

Do you know that Because of RE2 I have not Opened my Gears of War 2…It is still wrapped in the plastic sitting in the bookshelf…Please don’t tell my Xbox 360 brethren…they would hang me…I have yet to even start the single player campaign in RE2, I am loving co-op so much.
Thank You So Much For Co-op!!

+ Fersis on November 12th, 2008 at 2:05 am said:

Insomniac continues to deliver. :D
I would love to live in US,just for these kind of things.

+ Fersis on November 12th, 2008 at 2:06 am said:

oh ,and i love Ted Price, he is so nice.
(In a totally straight way of loving a man) :D

+ TinkerGuru on November 12th, 2008 at 2:35 am said:

Just hope they don’t get the attitude and airrogance of the Bungie.
They do look to be smarter than that…power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

+ Fersis on November 12th, 2008 at 3:13 am said:

@66 TinkerGuru
Power corrupts ? why?

+ Fatez on November 12th, 2008 at 5:18 am said:

Please Bring back the COOP feature for the single player campaing!!!!!!

al least Online soyou wont have to do split screen. But man, whatever happend to it??
was one of the best features of R1!

Jeff any comment?

+ Daver on November 12th, 2008 at 6:05 am said:

Thats great! i finished the campaign mode so ill jump in the coop

Loll Hey jeff i was about to say the same of other guy lol i saw your name at then end of R2

+ schwaa on November 12th, 2008 at 6:17 am said:

In Co-op, you can tell you get the kill by the RED experience numbers that flash when the enemy dies. Only you see that number if you kill the enemy.

+ RandomEarthling on November 12th, 2008 at 6:58 am said:

Wow. I wish more game companies were like Insomniac. They know how to have fun in games and in real life. Great job!

+ Onna76_NL on November 12th, 2008 at 7:24 am said:

I can’t stand FPS games and there are just too many of them on the PS3. I’d rather have a new Ratchet & Clank ;-)

+ Deathrock on November 12th, 2008 at 7:30 am said:

I so far I like this game hopefully they fix the network errors on the coporative mode. I was getting this errors yesterday and it took a awhile to find a game to join and then in the middle of the game i would get the network error ;(

+ smokey_vols on November 12th, 2008 at 7:53 am said:

Insomniac are a very special developer, keep up the good work!

+ Letters2Kay on November 12th, 2008 at 8:13 am said:

R2 was pretty good, but the first one is a masterpiece. I wish Insomniac had kept the muted colors instead of borrowing the Halo color pallette- and I really want to hold all my guns again… :(

+ C-DuB on November 12th, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

Sorry dude i wasnt thinken about the spoiler. sorry about that. i just had to vent.

+ C-DuB on November 12th, 2008 at 8:29 am said:

@FritoZ Sorry dude i wasnt thinken. sorry.

+ FritoZ on November 12th, 2008 at 8:38 am said:

it’s ok man!

+ bigdaddyjane on November 12th, 2008 at 8:41 am said:

I will see you all online either today or tomorrow or whenever.

+ ColonelSeitan on November 12th, 2008 at 9:29 am said:

Could a mod please edit #49? Spoiler!!!

+ Drunknig on November 12th, 2008 at 9:36 am said:

Would loved to have been there. I’m a big fan of Insomniac.

One quick question though:

Why can you only hold 2 weapons at a time in R2? It was badass to be able to choose the Fareye, then the LARK and back to the Carbine in RFOM.

+ rbanke on November 12th, 2008 at 11:23 am said:

Please for the love of god, give us the Tapper as DLC. My money is waiting, i HAVE to see Hybrid blood fountains!

+ bpowter on November 12th, 2008 at 4:45 pm said:

once again thanks insomniac for throwing this event, i had the best time EVER!!!!!

also i haft to say whud up to jeff, james, brian, and ryan.

+ shystie1 on November 12th, 2008 at 10:28 pm said:

COOL VIDEO! I wish there was more of the days events.

Any word it there may be more weapons?

+ Merfolk on November 13th, 2008 at 12:01 pm said:

Hello guys! Thanks for awesome game! But i’ve got one simple question: i bought US version of the game (region 1), so will i be able to play with my friends in Russia (region 2 and 5) when the game appears here?

Thanks for the future reply :)

+ thedawnbreaker on November 13th, 2008 at 12:41 pm said:

Thanks for the great game! Quick question: Why wasn’t there a bigger marketing push similar to Gears of War 2 to attract the masses to this awesome game?

Anyway…thanks again for the awesome game ;)

+ lbp_user on November 13th, 2008 at 2:16 pm said:

So after playing R:FoM, wanting to buy and play R2 and hearing about Retribution, I just have one question: When is the Resistance movie coming?

+ packetjoe on November 16th, 2008 at 9:09 am said:

Hey guys great game I live on the east coast and would of loved to pay a visit to your place work I just got involved in the gaming world late last year with rfom and loved it im a little old to be doing this and my wife thing I a nut but keep up the good work ( how about a hat or a tee shirt where can I get one my age here is 69 again thanks for every thing… Joe

+ equalsP on November 16th, 2008 at 11:27 am said:

Love the game, my roommate and I enjoy play the coop and competitive online together.

I have one complaint though, we play coop a lot, but we started to stop when we figured out that the second player’s experience would never save so he would end up just going through the same levels over and over again.

Could you change it so that it remembers it? We don’t really care about stats the competitive, but just the cooperative, mainly because of the weapon upgrades and different berserk abilities that you need to unlock.

An idea would be to just clone the 1st players coop levels and allow player 2 to use them. He can level up and such, but it will not save to player 1, because that could be unfair, because he would level up faster. Or just make #2 save stuff.

Hope you guys are still listening, and just remember to throw some cool free DLC every once and a while. =P

+ tdnapoli on November 25th, 2008 at 9:06 am said:

Resistance 2 is a true disappointment! Why have COOP mode in Fall Of Man and not the sequel? I wish I could get my money back for this POS!!! My son and I waited even with the delay for it to come out to play together and what a disappointment it was! I am so frustrated I can not even type correctly! I hope INSOMNIAC goes down the drain for shotty products like this!

+ DRAMASETTER on December 9th, 2008 at 7:53 pm said:

I dont like multiplayer graphics. single player looks absolutely beautiful though. hope the graphics improve. for some reason in every game im gettin in 1st with 40 kills average. ill like to play against those people that say they are pros.

PAGE 1 2