PS4-Watch_Dogs

Happy Birthday, PS3!

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Nov 17, 2008 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

November 17 is a special date for us at SCEA because, as many of you fans know, it’s when we launched PLAYSTATION 3. Two years ago today, we delivered our next-generation console, providing consumers with a gaming and home entertainment system unlike anything in the market – the power of the Cell Broadband Engine, out-of-the-box HDMI support for 1080p resolution, and a Blu-ray drive for high-definition movies and expansive games. The PS3’s launch was also when the Resistance franchise was born, and the original title’s success has spawned a blockbuster sequel with Resistance 2 and a unique PSP installment with the upcoming Resistance: Retribution.

PS3 Anniversary Card

But that’s just what we started with, and PS3 has come a long way since November 17, 2006. If you stood in line the night before launch, the PS3 that you took out of the box when you got home isn’t the same system that it is today. We’ve added new features and enhancements that you all have asked for, such as Trophies, XMB access in-game, Remote Play with PSP, DLNA Media Server capability, and BD-Live support, to name just a few. Along the way, we became the first gaming system to be recognized by Guinness World Records for Folding@Home and, because of the strong PS3 install base, helped Blu-ray win the format war.

PlayStation Network has truly hit its stride with unique downloadable games and a video delivery service featuring movies, TV shows, and original programming that you can watch in HD with your PS3, or bring with you on your PSP. And with 14 million active accounts and 273 million pieces of content downloaded, we know that you’re thirsting for this digital entertainment.

Of course, most important to all of you is the game library, and we’ve seen exclusive titles launch that showcase the PS3’s capabilities, from Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots, which takes full advantage of Blu-ray’s massive 50GB capacity to deliver the best installment in the storied franchise, to LittleBigPlanet, whose infectious charm and user-generated content make it a genre-defying experience. There’s something for every type of gamer on PS3, and the efforts of SCE’s first-party development studios (the industry’s largest ) along with our third-party partners will continue to deliver knock-out titles.

Thanks to all of you, PS3’s momentum is stronger than ever. There are nearly 17 million PS3 systems around the world, and in the United States, PS3 hardware sales are up nearly 100 percent from where we were at this time last year. Software sales have tripled from a year ago. Yes, we’re proud about everything we’ve accomplished, and we’re even more psyched about where we’re going with our holiday software lineup (our best to date) and the new Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune PLAYSTATION 3 Bundle, which features a 160GB PS3 and is available now.

We wouldn’t be where we are today without your continued support and all of the feedback you’ve provided here on this blog. We don’t have a crystal ball, but we know that you can look forward to many great games and PS3 enhancements over the next 12 months, starting with the upcoming launch of PlayStation Home’s open beta, which will bring the PS3 community closer together. Then, just around the corner, you’ll have Killzone 2, inFAMOUS, and tons more. So please join me in wishing a happy second birthday to PS3!

400 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 8

+ Al2x on November 17th, 2008 at 3:26 pm said:

Happy B-Day PS3!

+ GL0cKoP0P on November 17th, 2008 at 3:28 pm said:

Yes, Happy birthday PS3..

+ theonetavy on November 17th, 2008 at 3:28 pm said:

Happy Birthday!!
Been in since launch it just keeps getting better and better

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 3:30 pm said:

I remember when you launched, you had a new controller called the sixaxis. With this new controller you gained motion control at the expense of rumble functionality, something your ancestors had for 2 generations. It was said that rumble was last gen, motion control is the future. Then, all of sudden, a lawsuit with Immersion was settled, and all of sudden last gen rumble became possible again. Everyone had to wait an entire year after your birth to see a feature re-introduced that your previous generation relative had from its inception.

+ h4rri3r on November 17th, 2008 at 3:31 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3! Have a long life!

+ yunier91 on November 17th, 2008 at 3:31 pm said:

WOOT 3yrs PLAYSTATION 3..HAPPY B-DAY :)

+ sascha23 on November 17th, 2008 at 3:32 pm said:

Happy b-day PS3!!!

Looking forward to playing with you for many years to come.

+ eric1018 on November 17th, 2008 at 3:32 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :)

+ Quack712 on November 17th, 2008 at 3:33 pm said:

Yay!!! Now bring back backwards compatibility!!!

+ BigVic on November 17th, 2008 at 3:34 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3! May you continue to bring us….er…um….most of us happiness.

+ PSYCHO-MAGNET on November 17th, 2008 at 3:35 pm said:

Happy B-Day PS3

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 3:36 pm said:

I remember a wonderful event we had, the 2007 GDC. There, you revealed plans for HOME and LittleBigPlanet. All of this part of the gaming 3.0 plan. Now home is almost upon us even though it could have been done sooner if its overseers concentrated on development of HOME instead of trying to find advertising partners. And LittleBigPlanet is here and now Sony is trying to destroy one of the major points of this game, user generated content, by moderating levels they arbitrarily deem inappropriate out of existence.

+ Arachnid on November 17th, 2008 at 3:36 pm said:

I couldn’t miss this party for the world. I would like to say a few words to the PS3 (settle down every one) *shhhh* Ok, first I would like to say that you have proved the competition wrong with your library of games, your blu-ray player, your free online gaming, and the have proved to me to be the best investment I have made (entertainment wise). I would like to wish you a happy birthday, and many more to come!!! that will be all, thank you.

+ Bam316 on November 17th, 2008 at 3:36 pm said:

Happy B-Day Playstation 3 Now Bring Us Home for those who don’t have it already and we be happy

+ C-h-a-o-s on November 17th, 2008 at 3:37 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3, you have given me manyhours of enjoyment. Congrats on the success Sony!

+ jeremy_nebraska on November 17th, 2008 at 3:41 pm said:

Happy Birthday, ps3. :)

+ NEJI64 on November 17th, 2008 at 3:42 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3 keep up the good work.

+ THATPSPGUY on November 17th, 2008 at 3:42 pm said:

I got to wish the PS3 a Happy 2nd Birthday before John Koller in the previous blog posting. WAY TO GO PS3 way to rock my socks off all the time. Home rocks the world I live in and it just keeps getting better and better. Like I said earlier: You first crawled and then learned to walk and now you run in front of the rest of the Crowd. Keep it going PLAYSTATION 3 WE LOVE YOU!

+ Azmo85 on November 17th, 2008 at 3:44 pm said:

Happy Birthday so do we get a special treat this thursday i have a good feeling alot of users will be happy :)

+ Stoffinator on November 17th, 2008 at 3:44 pm said:

My how the time flies when you are having fun. ;-]

+ illegalprelude on November 17th, 2008 at 3:44 pm said:

it would have been cool if we had seen some content thrown our away for free on PSN…

+ craazy on November 17th, 2008 at 3:45 pm said:

I sure love my 20gb(250) and it sure has been a good 2 years

+ Nick212004 on November 17th, 2008 at 3:49 pm said:

Happy Birthday to the PS3. I still remember plain as day camping outside of BestBuy for 26 straight hours to purchase my 60gb PS3.

+ verybadbeetle on November 17th, 2008 at 3:51 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3! Still have my original launch 60GB. Man I love that system!

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 3:52 pm said:

Testing.

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 3:52 pm said:

I remember there was another console that was available a year before your release. It had all these features such as the awards that other users could see, access to music while playing a game, the ability to message others during a game, the ability to invite friends across games, and persistent voice chat. And believe it or not, it had all of these features from day 1 of its release, a year earlier than yours. And now, here we are, 2 years later and you have a piecewise approach to awards and music access during a game. You don’t have any ability to invite friends across games or persistent voice chat. You can message friends during a game though. You released an official headset 2 years after launch and for some reason you still don’t pack in the box with the ps3.

+ DMeisterJ on November 17th, 2008 at 3:55 pm said:

So home is coming soon?

w00t.

+ Darkemist on November 17th, 2008 at 3:55 pm said:

It’s your birthday, make a mess
It’s your birthday, wear a dress
It’s your birthday, and it’s swell
It’s your birthday, tip me well….

Happy B’day PS3, Here’s to many, many more!!

Game On!

+ ruffneckc on November 17th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

Happy Birtday :) Now bring on HOME!

+ shadow7126 on November 17th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!! We heart u!

+ Schobeleth on November 17th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3! I’ve been so happy ever since I got mine and I am very excited for the upcoming games and features! I’m also ecstatic to see that the sales are doing better and everything else is progressing as well =)!

+ gyron on November 17th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 3:57 pm said:

I remember all the great exclusive titles that were promised when you were first released. Such great titles as Devil May Cry 4, Final Fantasy XIII, and Tekken 6. Now, no one really knows if any 3rd party games will be exclusive anymore. It wouldn’t surprise me if great game franchises like Metal Gear Solid get compromised by losing its exclusivity and appear on the inferior dvd9 discs of the competitors console.

+ VenomX on November 17th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!

Feels good to own one.

This system has seriously changed dramatically over the past 2 years. It’s amazing.

Keep up the good work Sony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

+ Xero-Kool on November 17th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

Happy B-Day PS3.

+ jqtaxpayer on November 17th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

Aww, now I’m gonna get all teary-eyed! Best wishes to everyone at Sony — here’s to hoping we can squeeze a few more years outta the ole girl, eh?

@jbat17 (#1): Happy b-day to YOU, too!

+ Genio 16 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:02 pm said:

My B-Day were yasterday =) AND MY GIFT WERE A PS3 WITH LBP!

+ kentomaiku on November 17th, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

happy bday ps3

+ Axecution on November 17th, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

Me and my friends actually had a party for it. Seriously. We had a PS3 cake in the exact shape and form of a PS3 (Well… technically it was a rice crispy square cake with icing on it, but whatever…)
And today – being your birthday mr. PS3 – I bought the PSP-3000.

Happy birthday man…

[...I seriously mean all this]

+ gold5225 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:05 pm said:

Happy B-Day PS3.

+ schwaa on November 17th, 2008 at 4:05 pm said:

Happy BDay PS3!

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 4:05 pm said:

I wonder if the future of this blog will include making pathetic attempts at trying to stop people who just want to say the whole truth. It would be quite the foolish thing to think that one commentator has the power to devastate a product when a group of people can do so by making such obvious blunders. But something like that would never happen due to all the “smart” people running this blog.

+ schwaa on November 17th, 2008 at 4:07 pm said:

Jeff, can you do something about featurepreacher pissing all over every blog post? I mean, really, his comments are annoying as hell. WE ALL KNOW YOU’RE UNHAPPY, BRO. Do something about it or shut your freaking mouth.

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 4:08 pm said:

Devil May Cry 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Tekken 6. I can’t wait for all those great ps3 exclusives to be released that were promised in 2006. Oh wait, my bad.

+ astrocrack on November 17th, 2008 at 4:09 pm said:

Happy Birthday!!!

+ perrandy on November 17th, 2008 at 4:10 pm said:

happy anniversary to the ps3!
the console is one of the best of its kind.there’s just no competition in terms of hardware and game potential here. i just hope that the console will be gratiated with more JRPGS and also more firmware updates feautures in a not so distant future…

oh yes fot those that are waiting with anticipation. i hope home open beta will be out before this year ends

+ Letters2Kay on November 17th, 2008 at 4:10 pm said:

Happy Birthday Sony! What a good reason to celebrate- 2 years ago today, the greatest gaming machine ever became available to the world. Thank you for making such an incredible product! :)

As a present, here’s my PSN t-shirt design:
Front: PSN logo
Back: “Is it Thursday, yet?”

+ perrandy on November 17th, 2008 at 4:12 pm said:

i hope more is spoken in this blog about white knight chronicles as its date of release in the land of rising sun approaches

SHIROKISHI MONOGATARI FTW!!!

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 4:13 pm said:

@schwaa
I don’t piss at EVERY POST on this blog. I was just sharing some of my memories of the past 2 years of the ps3. None of it is untrue. Why don’t you share some of your fond memories. I am doing something about it. I am reminding others of what really happened over the past 2 years. There were good times, but there were also bad times. If you ignore the bad times, you may be doomed to repeat it. Let the bad times shape the future so we will have fewer of them.

+ vandam on November 17th, 2008 at 4:17 pm said:

HAPPY B-DAY:-)
my PS3 is year and a half and was $600 bones!!!
and I hope I get onther 2 years out of it but any way finally went out and bought LBP!! ;-)

PAGE 1 2 3 4 8