PS4 - Destiny

Happy Birthday, PS3!

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Nov 17, 2008 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

November 17 is a special date for us at SCEA because, as many of you fans know, it’s when we launched PLAYSTATION 3. Two years ago today, we delivered our next-generation console, providing consumers with a gaming and home entertainment system unlike anything in the market – the power of the Cell Broadband Engine, out-of-the-box HDMI support for 1080p resolution, and a Blu-ray drive for high-definition movies and expansive games. The PS3’s launch was also when the Resistance franchise was born, and the original title’s success has spawned a blockbuster sequel with Resistance 2 and a unique PSP installment with the upcoming Resistance: Retribution.

PS3 Anniversary Card

But that’s just what we started with, and PS3 has come a long way since November 17, 2006. If you stood in line the night before launch, the PS3 that you took out of the box when you got home isn’t the same system that it is today. We’ve added new features and enhancements that you all have asked for, such as Trophies, XMB access in-game, Remote Play with PSP, DLNA Media Server capability, and BD-Live support, to name just a few. Along the way, we became the first gaming system to be recognized by Guinness World Records for Folding@Home and, because of the strong PS3 install base, helped Blu-ray win the format war.

PlayStation Network has truly hit its stride with unique downloadable games and a video delivery service featuring movies, TV shows, and original programming that you can watch in HD with your PS3, or bring with you on your PSP. And with 14 million active accounts and 273 million pieces of content downloaded, we know that you’re thirsting for this digital entertainment.

Of course, most important to all of you is the game library, and we’ve seen exclusive titles launch that showcase the PS3’s capabilities, from Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots, which takes full advantage of Blu-ray’s massive 50GB capacity to deliver the best installment in the storied franchise, to LittleBigPlanet, whose infectious charm and user-generated content make it a genre-defying experience. There’s something for every type of gamer on PS3, and the efforts of SCE’s first-party development studios (the industry’s largest ) along with our third-party partners will continue to deliver knock-out titles.

Thanks to all of you, PS3’s momentum is stronger than ever. There are nearly 17 million PS3 systems around the world, and in the United States, PS3 hardware sales are up nearly 100 percent from where we were at this time last year. Software sales have tripled from a year ago. Yes, we’re proud about everything we’ve accomplished, and we’re even more psyched about where we’re going with our holiday software lineup (our best to date) and the new Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune PLAYSTATION 3 Bundle, which features a 160GB PS3 and is available now.

We wouldn’t be where we are today without your continued support and all of the feedback you’ve provided here on this blog. We don’t have a crystal ball, but we know that you can look forward to many great games and PS3 enhancements over the next 12 months, starting with the upcoming launch of PlayStation Home’s open beta, which will bring the PS3 community closer together. Then, just around the corner, you’ll have Killzone 2, inFAMOUS, and tons more. So please join me in wishing a happy second birthday to PS3!

400 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8

+ schwaa on November 17th, 2008 at 4:19 pm said:

@Preacher

I understand the importance of negative feedback, but come on man…you’re trolling, for real.

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 4:20 pm said:

As for the ps3′s future. I’ll leave you with this:

+ Cesarcsrf on November 17th, 2008 at 4:20 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3.
You too jbat17.

+ diablo103 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:20 pm said:

Happy B-Day PS3!!! Congrads Sony!!

+ arieldude18 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PS3! THIS WORLD WOULD BE A DARK PLACE WITHOUT YOU! :)

+ nYc_FrEeWiLL_82 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

Ps# TuRnS #..lol happy Bday! or should i say LaUnCh DaY..:p

+ Clinton514 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:23 pm said:

2 Years yay! Many to come…can’t wait to see what 2009 holds.

+ nYc_FrEeWiLL_82 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:23 pm said:

OoOpS…i MeNt 2 wRiTe Ps3 TuRnS 3!

+ nYc_FrEeWiLL_82 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:25 pm said:

ok..i jus moss read everything..i ment ” Ps3 TuRns 2!..:/..its bin a long day for me..lol

+ angel27 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:26 pm said:

PS is the best F the WII and 360

+ Elvick on November 17th, 2008 at 4:33 pm said:

Happy birthday Playstation 3! You rock and I look forward to all the awesome titles you’re going to offer the gaming community.

You win.

+ OmegaArchetype on November 17th, 2008 at 4:34 pm said:

Awesome, I’m anxious to see how the next 12 months turn out.

I really hope for more PS1 classics on the PSN store (resident evil, parasite eve, etc.) as well as a voice messaging, a bigger avatar selection (or even buyable avatars: akin to gamerpics,) as well as expanded player profiles (such as last game played, total games played, expanded profile information and a player rating system.)

Sure it’s closer to XBL adding those features, but as an owner of both systems I have to say those features are nice. Maybe not worth $50 a month, but still it’s nice to have them.

+ K-End on November 17th, 2008 at 4:38 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!!! I still rememebr they day i first got you. It was my first salary & im so happy with it

it also mark the day that my friend passed away because of cancer. I guess it give me more reason to boot up Life with Playstation to make the Folding@Home runs in background. You cherish her life till the very end.

Thanks you PS3

+ Real Gambler on November 17th, 2008 at 4:39 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3. Slow start, but like I baby, you’ve grown up, and you’re now awesome.

I currently have too many games, and not enough play time. Well done!

+ orbio234 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:39 pm said:

whether i am right or whether i am wrong…i gotta be me and my ps3. sony you have weathered the storm happy birthday

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 4:42 pm said:

Here’s to mandatory trophies, in-game access to music, and in-game screenshots in for all ps3 and psn games released in 2009. Put them in the TRCs. I hope the ps3 doesn’t let me down on these.

+ Herby on November 17th, 2008 at 4:42 pm said:

I have a launch PS3 and love it. No issues at all. The value you guys have added to my PS3 is incredible.

+ Tsubakii on November 17th, 2008 at 4:43 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTH DAY! We are doing jager bombs to celabrate. none for the PS3 though it’s my DD ^_^

+ UltimateIdiot911 on November 17th, 2008 at 4:44 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3. Although I have you for less than a year, I’ve already own 7 disc game, and 1 dlc game.

+ Death Touch on November 17th, 2008 at 4:47 pm said:

Cheers to you PS3! Currently enjoying the Home beta and can’t wait for everyone else to

+ Craiji on November 17th, 2008 at 4:52 pm said:

Happy B-day…

I remember grabbing my launch 60GB and dreaming of my first Hi-def RPG to play on it…..

WHITE KNIGHT WHERE ART THOU for us westerners????!!!!????

+ PS fanboy on November 17th, 2008 at 4:52 pm said:

hapy b-day!
r u guys celebrating there?
is there gonna be a surprise content on d pstore on thurs?
i dont get whens home is going 2 b realese, u guys said its 2008 but i think it was just a beta.
anyways wish u more birthday to come ps3
cheers!

+ jj_ob on November 17th, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

Happy birthday ps3. i am using my ps3 to leave this comment.

+ Tmakk on November 17th, 2008 at 4:57 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!!!

+ pick-e on November 17th, 2008 at 4:57 pm said:

@John Koller

“Resistance
Resistance 2
Resistance: Retribution
Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots
Little Big Planet
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
Killzone 2
inFAMOUS”

One of these games is not like the other.
One of these games does not involve shooting.

Sony, Sony, Sony. This is how you celebrate the PS3′s second birthday? By naming a bunch of shooters? The most generic and oversaturated type of game on the market? How does that set the PS3 apart?

Why not namedrop Folklore, Hot Shots Golf, Buzz Quiz TV, Eye of Judgement, or Motorstorm? And what about the many awesome PSN games Sony has released? Are you not proud of echochrome, The Last Guy or PAIN?

I’ve got nearly 20 PS3 games and yet not a single one of them were mentioned in your post. Your celebration of the PS3 is bad and you should feel bad. I’ll celebrate the second birthday in my own way – by enjoying the many unique titles the PS3 has to offer that go unloved by people like you. :(

+ matheaks on November 17th, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!

Wow it has been one of the greatest two years of gaming EVER. I remember when I got my ps3 from Best Buy.. i waited in line for like… wow.. 4 hours… it was EPIC.. and Cold! I got my first game- Ridge Racer 7- it wasnt the greatest game, but when I inserted it into the Lovely Looking Ps3.. WOW.. it blew me away.. the graphics were AMAZING.. and they still are. I love you Sony! Even though I wasn’t a great fan of Sony before. The PSP was my first Sony platform.. but it is a very fun system, and that is one of the many reasons why I chose Sony over the other competitors. HAPPY BDAY

+ joseph on November 17th, 2008 at 5:02 pm said:

Happy Second Birthday to PS3!
So I have been competing for the two years straight.

+ EddyxMob on November 17th, 2008 at 5:03 pm said:

Happy Birthday from EddyxMob that is currently in Rapture and then will rise to LittleBigPlanet tomake my second level

you guy

keep rocking

+ resistancefan1 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:04 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! lol, and happy b-day Resistance also, my 2 favorite things in the world, have the same b-day, lol

+ GGCAN on November 17th, 2008 at 5:05 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3 !

Thanks for the post John.

One of the best purchases I have yet to make was this console.

Keep up the great work and support.

+ Ortohinco on November 17th, 2008 at 5:06 pm said:

I guess that leaves Sony with one more year before the PS3 dies. Looking forward to the funeral.

+ incredible e on November 17th, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3…bring on the open beta of Home!!

+ taytay123 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

Home Open Beta is UPCOMING!!! who knows what that could mean but as long as it is first in the list of big things for year 3 of the PS3

+ nmc75 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:12 pm said:

I remember 2006.. when it seemed the whole gaming world and media was bashing the PS3 for it’s high price and lack of games, and some would even argue lack of features as compared to other consoles and their network. Owning a PS3 since launch, the ride has been quite rough in between waiting for games, hoping for developers to develop specifically for the Cell and RSX. A lot has gone by in 2 years with the PS Store, PS Network, all the feature added firmwares and above all else: AAA quality games.. the PS3 sure rode out the negativity that plagued it from the beginning and is now in my opinion ready to take the #1 spot for the current gen. consoles. I’m looking forward to it! Happy Birthday, PS3.

+ Afrika on November 17th, 2008 at 5:13 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3! I hope you will continue to wow us with your superiority!

+ lionel_lilthug on November 17th, 2008 at 5:14 pm said:

happy birthday ps3.sony only

+ schwaa on November 17th, 2008 at 5:16 pm said:

To the couple of fudge packers in here with nothing positive to say: Please take your PS3, box it up, and sell it to someone who may appreciate it more. You can still get a good price for it, and there are literally millions of people that would kill to get one at a discount, especially for Christmas. That way we can stop listening to your whining, and someone who actually plays games for entertainment, as opposed to perpetuating an imaginary console war, can put it to good use. Cheers!

+ Coolwater on November 17th, 2008 at 5:17 pm said:

i was hoping for some sexy contest to win something. Oh well… Happy Birthday PS3!

+ Dave702 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:18 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PS3!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO

…..HOME????

+ mdo7 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:24 pm said:

Happy Birthday, PS3. THis console is one of the greatest console of this generation, you outperform other current-gen console.

+ Lrgking on November 17th, 2008 at 5:25 pm said:

HAPPPY BDAY TO MEE TOO!!!
=D
My sister bought me the Ps3 bluetooth headset!!
yeahh!!!

+ dejavu_323 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:28 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! PS3 now make wish (bloing candles)

+ xprod1gy9x on November 17th, 2008 at 5:28 pm said:

Woot. Okay congrats. Now can we get to the real stuff. Sony can you please allow me to stream from a media server within a game. If the Xbox 360 can do it, why can’t the PS3 do it as well?

+ jgnyy32 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:29 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3 thank you for everything and i will always support you and i hope every one else will too. Thanks!!!!! :)

+ Fatal_Bullet on November 17th, 2008 at 5:32 pm said:

I’m glad I sold my Xbox 360 for this monster of a machine. Happy Birthday PS3! See you guys soon in Home!

+ xLord-Slothx on November 17th, 2008 at 5:32 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PS3!!!!!!!

Looking forward to many more years of entertainment. Killzone 2, White Knight Chronicles, and Gran Tursimo 5. Looking forwarded to 2009 and another Happy Birthday to come.

+ Chaos_Bladez on November 17th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3!

If you guys would have a $299 SKU, you would have over 20 million owners, I guarantee it.

+ jazzyrider on November 17th, 2008 at 5:34 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3 – a young 2, eh?

+ xprod1gy9x on November 17th, 2008 at 5:34 pm said:

Oh yeah. May I have my promised PlayStation HOME beta key from Qore now?

+ IceCold on November 17th, 2008 at 5:35 pm said:

I agree, the PS3 has come a long way. We are know where near the potential of this platform and there are so many more thing to look forward to. The biggest difference this year is that we have games that can and will keep us busy while stuff behind the scenes are being panned out.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8