Driveclub

Happy Birthday, PS3!

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Nov 17, 2008 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

November 17 is a special date for us at SCEA because, as many of you fans know, it’s when we launched PLAYSTATION 3. Two years ago today, we delivered our next-generation console, providing consumers with a gaming and home entertainment system unlike anything in the market – the power of the Cell Broadband Engine, out-of-the-box HDMI support for 1080p resolution, and a Blu-ray drive for high-definition movies and expansive games. The PS3’s launch was also when the Resistance franchise was born, and the original title’s success has spawned a blockbuster sequel with Resistance 2 and a unique PSP installment with the upcoming Resistance: Retribution.

PS3 Anniversary Card

But that’s just what we started with, and PS3 has come a long way since November 17, 2006. If you stood in line the night before launch, the PS3 that you took out of the box when you got home isn’t the same system that it is today. We’ve added new features and enhancements that you all have asked for, such as Trophies, XMB access in-game, Remote Play with PSP, DLNA Media Server capability, and BD-Live support, to name just a few. Along the way, we became the first gaming system to be recognized by Guinness World Records for Folding@Home and, because of the strong PS3 install base, helped Blu-ray win the format war.

PlayStation Network has truly hit its stride with unique downloadable games and a video delivery service featuring movies, TV shows, and original programming that you can watch in HD with your PS3, or bring with you on your PSP. And with 14 million active accounts and 273 million pieces of content downloaded, we know that you’re thirsting for this digital entertainment.

Of course, most important to all of you is the game library, and we’ve seen exclusive titles launch that showcase the PS3’s capabilities, from Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots, which takes full advantage of Blu-ray’s massive 50GB capacity to deliver the best installment in the storied franchise, to LittleBigPlanet, whose infectious charm and user-generated content make it a genre-defying experience. There’s something for every type of gamer on PS3, and the efforts of SCE’s first-party development studios (the industry’s largest ) along with our third-party partners will continue to deliver knock-out titles.

Thanks to all of you, PS3’s momentum is stronger than ever. There are nearly 17 million PS3 systems around the world, and in the United States, PS3 hardware sales are up nearly 100 percent from where we were at this time last year. Software sales have tripled from a year ago. Yes, we’re proud about everything we’ve accomplished, and we’re even more psyched about where we’re going with our holiday software lineup (our best to date) and the new Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune PLAYSTATION 3 Bundle, which features a 160GB PS3 and is available now.

We wouldn’t be where we are today without your continued support and all of the feedback you’ve provided here on this blog. We don’t have a crystal ball, but we know that you can look forward to many great games and PS3 enhancements over the next 12 months, starting with the upcoming launch of PlayStation Home’s open beta, which will bring the PS3 community closer together. Then, just around the corner, you’ll have Killzone 2, inFAMOUS, and tons more. So please join me in wishing a happy second birthday to PS3!

400 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 8

+ TheInfectedBy590 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:38 pm said:

Congrats! :)
May many more Birthdays come your way!

+ zookey on November 17th, 2008 at 5:39 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!!!!!!!

+ FeaturePreacher on November 17th, 2008 at 5:43 pm said:

@Chaos_Bladez
I second that.

+ TheVesra on November 17th, 2008 at 5:45 pm said:

Yay! Happy day PS3, thanks for the wonderful times and the mnay more to come. don’t heed trolls, they’re not worth the breath the breathe. myself and many many others are very happy with our choice in gaming consoles. i look forward to the next 8 years with you as the focus of my home entertainment center.
as for the rest of you guys and gals, i look forward to seeing you all once the PS3 come HOME! and so do you all. :D Cheers!!

+ Mana Knight on November 17th, 2008 at 5:47 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!!! I remember getting my PS3 on December 29th, 2006. Very memorable day.

+ GibbShift on November 17th, 2008 at 5:49 pm said:

Happy Birthday, PS3.

+ PS3Diablo on November 17th, 2008 at 5:51 pm said:

Happy Birthday ! Wish you all the best in 2009 and beyond.

+ Fersis on November 17th, 2008 at 5:52 pm said:

Congratulations guys.
Im happier than ever to have my PS3.

+ TRIX_BOL on November 17th, 2008 at 5:54 pm said:

I love my PS3 so much that i don’t know what to say.

Only one to say thing Bring Home!

+ dehumanizer_666 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:55 pm said:

Woo! Best System to Date! Had my 60GB since early January ’07 and still running! My 20GB since Mid March ’08.

+ bpowter on November 17th, 2008 at 5:56 pm said:

HBD PS3, YOU HAD ME ON DAY ONE.

+ MeltTech on November 17th, 2008 at 5:56 pm said:

Thank you PS3 and happy birthday. Today is my 6 month wedding anniversary. I’ve gained 20 lbs since 12.4.06 when I finally found you.

BTW. I have a launch 60gb, an annual Qore subscription and NO HOME BETA? Glad I didn’t buy you a b’day cake.

+ Skater_Ricky on November 17th, 2008 at 5:57 pm said:

Happy Birthday my sexy PS3 lol… it gets more attention the my GF does.. lol and thats sound bad HAHA… poor women suffer for the greatness of the PS3 :D

+ gmk218 on November 17th, 2008 at 5:59 pm said:

life span 10 yrs? 8 more to go

+ wholearmor on November 17th, 2008 at 6:03 pm said:

Thank you PSBLOG team for updating the site it feels real good to finally be able to use my PS3 and feel part of a world wide community without my PS3 system freezing all the time when logging in …
This is BEAUTIFUL

+ saunderswan on November 17th, 2008 at 6:05 pm said:

SWEET this works on my PS3 great job guys

(back to topic)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOOO YOU
HAPPY BIIIIIRTHDAAAAAY DEAR PLAYSTATION 3eee
HAPPY BIIIIIRTHDAAAAAY TOOOO OOOO OO YOUUUUUUUU!

EXCELLENT 2 YEARS SOO FAR ONLY GREW FROM STRENGH TO STRENGH EXCELLENT WORK GUYS N GALS

+ estrafo on November 17th, 2008 at 6:08 pm said:

OMG, defenetly happy birthday PS3 :) =)xD

+ HanSolo on November 17th, 2008 at 6:08 pm said:

happy birthday ps3!!!

the best console ever

+ MidgetguyII on November 17th, 2008 at 6:15 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!

You’re a beautiful piece of hardware!

Just imagine folks, when the Playstation 3 launched we could have never guessed that it would come to how it is now… there are many things that have changed the system, and we’re only two measley years into the Playstation 3′s life-cycle! Now, think of where ELSE the system can go, how it will mature and evolve, if you will, over the years! It’s crazy to think that we’ve come this far, but we’re going to go even farther!!!!

A VERY happy birthday! A birthday to celebrate not only the Playstation 3′s years of existence, but also the many more to come!

+ Stealthy85 on November 17th, 2008 at 6:17 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3!

+ erico316 on November 17th, 2008 at 6:19 pm said:

ps3 is selling well for its price tag.if you guys was to lower it by 100 you would outsell the 360 year round but i do understand it would be too big of a hit for sony to take.

+ shystie1 on November 17th, 2008 at 6:20 pm said:

Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday Dear PlayStation 3
Happy Birthday To You

Now what do you want for your Birthday PS3?

+ KeyWii on November 17th, 2008 at 6:21 pm said:

PS3 is the best console I’ve ever owned. So thanks!

+ GraffitiSkies on November 17th, 2008 at 6:25 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3!!!!!

+ Money1 on November 17th, 2008 at 6:25 pm said:

happy birthday ps3, proud owner since feb 26 2007

+ thatguy62 on November 17th, 2008 at 6:26 pm said:

Happy birthday ps3!I remember when it used to be simple,now look at it…it’s gone this far and this strong….(makes me cry,jk)

+ smokey_vols on November 17th, 2008 at 6:28 pm said:

Happy BDAY!!!

+ Netweb on November 17th, 2008 at 6:28 pm said:

Happy Birthday, PS3!
But were are our presents? xD

We must fight X360 about DLC!

PSN Cards to EUROPE!!!!
HOME!!!

+ PsychoEddie on November 17th, 2008 at 6:31 pm said:

@pick-e

Video games are like chicks. While you may require your women come equipped with double chins, mustaches, thick ankles, low sloping foreheads, and protruding occipital ridges; others may prefer a softer, less genteel look.

Speaking only for myself. The only games you’ve mentioned that I’ve found playable are the Resistance titles, Echochrome, and MSG single player.

I guess it doesn’t really matter which games they mentioned or didn’t mention. Someone would have slammed the list. Even if they had listed all the ps3 titles to date, I doubt I could find ten truly playable titles.

Your mileage may vary.

+ Jeigh on November 17th, 2008 at 6:38 pm said:

Is it true that Michael Jackson owns the rights to the song “Happy Birthday” ? I’m not going to sing it A) because it’s stupid and I’m just too cool and B) I don’t want to get sued by a pedophile- THAT would be embarassing.

The PS3′s definitely come a long way, but we’re not done yet. :D

+ imamathwiz on November 17th, 2008 at 6:38 pm said:

Is there anyway for there to be a PDF reader intrigued into the web browser, also it would nice to have a find in page feature for the web browser

+ JollyGiant1213 on November 17th, 2008 at 6:46 pm said:

HAPPY B-DAY PS3!!! I LOVE MY PS3!!! lol =)

+ nas2344 on November 17th, 2008 at 6:47 pm said:

yup happy Birthday its been an amazing 2 years!

+ big_king_kill on November 17th, 2008 at 6:48 pm said:

Happy B-day!

+ MeltTech on November 17th, 2008 at 6:48 pm said:

Thank you and Happy Birthday PS3. I’ve put on 20lbs since 12.4.06 when I finally found you. After fighting with customers and employees over you.

Today is my 6 month wedding anniversary. So I celebrate with you.

I also have a 60gb launch system, an annual Qore subscription and NO HOME BETA invite either.

Glad i didn’t buy you a b’day cake.

+ PsychoEddie on November 17th, 2008 at 6:49 pm said:

@Jeigh

No. That’s myth. The Chicago-based music publisher Clayton F. Summy Company, and Jessica Hill own the copyright until about 2030.

+ Kamahl on November 17th, 2008 at 6:51 pm said:

happy birthday PS3 :)

i got mine in january 2007 though, its 2 months younger

+ Golden Kintaro on November 17th, 2008 at 6:54 pm said:

Happy Birthday!! Definitely love the PS3 more now than when I first got it on launch day. Keep up the good work!

+ entice7_1 on November 17th, 2008 at 6:58 pm said:

happy birthday PS3, and happy birthday to my baby girl (Anaiiyia) who is 7yrs today. My b-day was two days ago 27 yrs. Cool.

+ DryvBy on November 17th, 2008 at 7:16 pm said:

Happy bday, best system ever!

+ Kobe24life on November 17th, 2008 at 7:20 pm said:

happy b day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

hope 8 more years of birthdays or more!

+ Reese8732 on November 17th, 2008 at 7:25 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3, you have been a blessing to me and millions out here. No matter what Xbots say, you are the true champion of gaming this generation!!!!! What started for me last year (yeah a year late to the party) with COD 4 and Assassin’s Creed as my first games to 15 games I have now (2 words for you… Trade Ins)it’s been a wonderful year of gaming.Have many many more!!!!

+ THATPSPGUY on November 17th, 2008 at 7:28 pm said:

You know sometimes I still sit back and think ” I have a PS3, I am so lucky to have it.” See sometimes it really gets me like that. I remember working at a video store over a year before Launch Day (rumored launch date at that). One day our great and wonderful Sony Rep. came in and handed me something She knew would interest me. She handed me the Spec. Sheet for the PlayStation 3. I couldn’t believe the options that I was reading in the list. It made me stand back and marvel at what it would be like. At what the graphics and the games and just the overall feel of it would be. I now know and appreciate it. You fulfilled the images that went on in MY mind that day. To this I have to say Thank You. Oh my god Thank You!!!

Have a Great Birthday PS3.

+ Keysersoze10033 on November 17th, 2008 at 7:31 pm said:

Happy bday, I’ve been a PS3 supported from the start, keep it up guys, I love my system :). Please, just lower the price a bit so more people can afford it :).

+ bombthroat on November 17th, 2008 at 7:38 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3! Congratulations to everyone involved who has and continues to make the PlayStation brand one of the strongest in the world!

+ Keysersoze10033 on November 17th, 2008 at 7:40 pm said:

Wow, my avatar finally showed up! It only took about a year :D. Thanks PSblog!

+ hatrix on November 17th, 2008 at 7:43 pm said:

We should all give games to our PS3s as presents :)

+ Hershy999 on November 17th, 2008 at 7:54 pm said:

Happy anniversary PS3, here’s to one more!

+ saintfighteraqua on November 17th, 2008 at 7:56 pm said:

PSN should give us all a free $10 dl to help celebrate. ^^

+ darkslidedavid on November 17th, 2008 at 7:57 pm said:

Shwaa and FeaturePreacher, I hope you’re both checking in on this post, because this one actually got me off my PS3 to come speak my mind.

I’ve used my PS3 60GB every day since release, and an owner of the Wii, the 360, and the PS3, hands down the Sony PS3 is the best in my mind. But FP is so right it’s not funny. The strongest system is incapable of some of the subpar abilities of the 360?

Shwaa, if FP really disliked his PS3, would he even come to this blog? The people in the dev teams need to understand, things like Home have been delayed so terribly, people start to get frustrated. It’s certainly made me mad at this point. Only by noting the negative will we actually be able to make our PS3s better through further firmware updates.

I love my PS3, probably my most prized possession next to my computer, but so much potential is lost due to Sony’s lack of customer support. Heck, if I even had a speculated month that Home might release, not TBA 2008 with this year coming to a close, I might be more satisfied.

Sony, I’ll stay with the Playstation family till the day it dies, owning every iteration of the PS, but please, don’t let these negative comments fall on deaf ears.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 8