PS4 - Transistor

Get Your Own PlayStation Credit Card

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Nov 24, 2008 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

You may have seen the mailers, and it’s true. We’ve introduced our very own PlayStation credit card to offer fans a new way to show off their PlayStation pride and earn reward points towards the purchase of PlayStation and SONY products.

PlayStation Card

We’ve even sweetened the pot with a special introductory offer. Starting today until December 31, 2008, you could save $150 on the purchase of a PLAYSTATION 3 this holiday. There are a couple ways to do this. You can go to to www.sony.com/newpscard to get instant approval for your card, and an immediate $150 credit when you purchase a PS3 directly through the website.

Or you can go www.sony.com/getpscard to apply for the card and upon receipt of the card, use it at any authorized PlayStation retailer to purchase a PS3. The $150 credit will show up on your billing statement.

The holidays just got merrier. Happy shopping.

195 Comments

+ Onna76_NL on November 25th, 2008 at 12:13 am said:

I advice a 150USD price cut, worldwide and RIGHT NOW! Sales would go through the rooftop and I’d so much love to see those faces of the Sony bashing folks at VGchartz for instance. Visiting that place as a Sony fan makes you depressed… or pissed.

There are rumors going on that there will be a price cut in March? Whatever wise-guy of journalist has brought that one out, you know they’re like spies, they never shut up. IMO it would have been best to introduce a price cut, if rumors are true, a week beforehand. Now people, believing the rumors are not, are going to wait even more and that ain’t good for the holiday sales of the PS3, if you ask me.

+ viprdude on November 25th, 2008 at 12:28 am said:

So whats the interest rate? 21%?

why are u worrying about credit cards sony? just another way to get more money from people, i forgot….

+ Onna76_NL on November 25th, 2008 at 12:31 am said:

Speaking of Nintendocha… erm… Videogamechartz… check out the sales, now.. don’t tell me , you don’t get depressed when seeing those sales in Europe only? At least I do. I hate to see us losing from M$! And it ain’t the fault of the “games”.

+ SpiritThief on November 25th, 2008 at 1:04 am said:

Where is everyone saying they can’t find PSN cards from?

I thought they were out everywhere now?

+ IIIKAGEIII on November 25th, 2008 at 1:16 am said:

can Australians get this?

+ Rogerjak on November 25th, 2008 at 2:10 am said:

Is this US only? I wouldn’t mind having a Playstation credit card :P

+ lazedk on November 25th, 2008 at 3:07 am said:

I now this is not related – but the new us.playstation.com doesn’t work in Google Chrome – its the flash part thats not showing on the frontpage.

+ JaffaBoy on November 25th, 2008 at 5:14 am said:

How about a UK offer… this saving might be just the thing to get my son his own PS3 and then we can stop arguing about who’s going to use it!

+ kspraydad on November 25th, 2008 at 6:08 am said:

@102

The interest rate is 10.99 and it is ZERO on your PS3 purchase over $299 if made within the first 45 days and paid off within the year.

You also get 2x your warranty.

Win Win.

+ kspraydad on November 25th, 2008 at 6:09 am said:

@104

PSN cards are only in Japan and the US right now.

+ typikal82 on November 25th, 2008 at 6:35 am said:

instant approval here lol

+ stlthriot on November 25th, 2008 at 6:37 am said:

So, my concern doesn’t regard the credit card but moreso the logo on it… why the heck does the PS3 have the ghetto Spiderman font for PlayStation? I want the cool, original one like this card has! :D
I’ve been seeing it appear more and more lately… are you trying to phase out the PS3 one? I sure hope so.

+ GuyaneseG on November 25th, 2008 at 7:25 am said:

where can I find PSN cards in Canada?

+ stennex on November 25th, 2008 at 7:55 am said:

Wow a PS3 credit card at this time during the economic meltdown. This should be made available next year when we fracking have stable jobs and are able to have our credit institutions be stable once again. Anyway i just want to know why the blog is not integrated with the playstation.com website. And when are we going to see the PSN id being integrated into the blog site. Sony seems to waste time doing odd things for example not capitalizing on Little Big Planet even when we the gamers offered advice to the on how not to screw up such a unique IP.

+ freemantim on November 25th, 2008 at 7:57 am said:

Why is the PlayStation Blog no longer linked from PlayStation.com?

+ Transient on November 25th, 2008 at 7:59 am said:

As usual, USA-only. Too bad if you’re Canadian.

+ DG on November 25th, 2008 at 8:04 am said:

Right now the last thing I need is another credit card.

+ Trieloth on November 25th, 2008 at 8:19 am said:

Humm thats neat.

+ typikal82 on November 25th, 2008 at 8:22 am said:

I read that it doubles your warranty as a benefit for card members, but couldnt find any details on that……

+ TouchyEd on November 25th, 2008 at 8:29 am said:

You couldn’t pay me enough to pull out a card like that in front of friends, business partners, or even complete strangers.

You’ll be having waitresses across the nation laughing at you and saying, “Is this even a real credit card?”

+ hejjj12 on November 25th, 2008 at 9:12 am said:

OOOH! I want to have one :D
Can you get one in Sweden?
Can I trade in my normal Visa to one that looks like that?
Can it be just to by other stuff to or only Sony products? 0_0

+ gachzorge on November 25th, 2008 at 9:19 am said:

I only have a couple debit cards, and this is an obvious candidate for my first credit card. I applied last night, hopefully I get it soon. I’m thinking about getting another PS3 just because it’s such a good deal

+ decimalator on November 25th, 2008 at 1:14 pm said:

I’m waiting for the PlayStation stimulus package, or the PlayStation gamer bailout plan. I’ve racked up thousands of dollars in bad video game debt! I need relief!

+ Ajora on November 25th, 2008 at 1:27 pm said:

@ decimalator

hahah lol good one XD
I want this card =P

+ Zinacef on November 25th, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

It seems like it’s a nice idea however I’d like to ask this. How is this going to benefit sales of the console for the holidays particularly among people who have little or no credit? This card seems like it’s only geared toward those that have stellar credit! In today’s poor economy, I don’t think you’d find too many people wanting to apply for more credit cards seeing that people are probably in a position of trying to pay down or pay off their credit card bills.

+ Kamahl on November 25th, 2008 at 5:38 pm said:

great idea, id get that if they were available here…

+ jp0ll on November 25th, 2008 at 6:10 pm said:

did anyone here not get approved instantly?? I have good credit and for some reason when I hit submit it said thanks for your application we will notify you within 30 days….

+ SpikeDelight on November 25th, 2008 at 8:25 pm said:

What’s the interest rate?

+ alaM00 on November 26th, 2008 at 3:04 am said:

Schweet!!!! =) haha!!!!

+ kryk on November 26th, 2008 at 4:48 am said:

У меня есть PS3, и вполне ею доволен. Но пока не будут выходить игры с русским языком , покупать не буду )))

+ Luigifest on November 26th, 2008 at 9:05 am said:

Yes, this is good. Just watch that DEBT!

+ Neophoton on November 26th, 2008 at 12:16 pm said:

If you guys really want to boost holiday sales this year, the best thing to do is to advertise the hell out of this for the month. A $250 console is like music to people’s ears… and crying kiddies.

Just throwing it out there. TV ads and the like sound nice to me.

+ Mr. Admirable on November 26th, 2008 at 10:38 pm said:

This is too much but hopefully I qualify for it.

+ abi on November 27th, 2008 at 11:53 am said:

Hi Guys,
Quick question, are Dell.com / Amazon.com or NewEgg.com Sony authorized retailer?

So as to qualify for the $150?

Thanx

+ JJfutbol on November 27th, 2008 at 10:59 pm said:

Same question as @abi. Is Newegg a Sony authorized retailer? If not, do you know of others who are? I saw this deal last year but with the latest PS3 system out, its a must buy!

+ boomer284 on November 28th, 2008 at 12:57 am said:

hey does anyone if i will be able to combine this offer with a 100 dollar store credit at gamecrazy?

+ tedT on November 28th, 2008 at 8:53 am said:

What did I do wrong.

I have immaculate credit and apply for the Sony card to get $150 off. Web site says ‘instant approval’ with codes at the end of registration.

Here is my thank you: bla…bla…You will be notified in writing about the status of your application within 30 days.

Wow. I give all that personal information and I only get a we will let you know in a month about the STATUS? What happened to my INSTANT approval? Ugh.

+ tretle on November 28th, 2008 at 2:30 pm said:

I’d prefer to have debit card support in the store as being a student I am a bit wary of getting into debt buying things on credit.

+ nxp3 on November 28th, 2008 at 5:41 pm said:

First of all. I thought the damn playstation network, playstation blog, playstation underground was suppose to have a unified login. Then why do I have to enter my login information everytime I click on some links. This is not good, who knows who’s trying to steal ID and passwords out there that can be used to hack your account. It happened to me before.

Second, the sonycard allows you 150 off any product not just a ps3. If you want a sonycard you might consider that. Yeah…not a good time for credit card though.

+ Yeow on November 28th, 2008 at 11:11 pm said:

hey! did you say until December 31, 2008, you could save $150 on the purchase of a PLAYSTATION 3 this holiday?!

i saw that at a store yesterday!…
over there I saw new 80GB PS3s, Premium and Elite 360′s, L.E. Madden NFL 09 PSP’s…

I think you should hold contests, and the winners (and/or runner-ups) get money in their account. (I.E. Most fantastic lbp level, most vehicles smashed in motorstorm: pacific rift, most monsters slashed in resistance 2, etc.

+ knohr on November 29th, 2008 at 3:03 pm said:

That is a heck of a deal. You don’t see many offers that will earn you $150 just for signing up for a card.
I might have to get this one, I have been wanting a PS3 for a while.

[DELETED]

+ Beau on November 29th, 2008 at 9:38 pm said:

Yeah this isn’t the best time to bring this out with the economy going down the tubes but I’m glad that SONY saw my idea about this…

+ mako12451 on November 30th, 2008 at 3:13 am said:

Has anybody gotten an instant approval yet, and have been able to get the deal that is advertised, or is this just a scam to apply for new credit card? I’ll be checking back for more posts. I have read all the posts so far, and haven’t scene if anybody has been successful, as of yet. 11/30/2008 6:13am EST

+ GanjaQueen on November 30th, 2008 at 4:18 am said:

Nice idea…too bad I already got my fill of cc’s. Plus, not exactly the best of timing to talk about getting a new credit card. But I suppose if my credit was better and times where better I’d think about jumping on it too, ;)

+ TNAReborn on November 30th, 2008 at 7:00 am said:

to 142. It’s not an instant approval, but I called SonyRewards and they told me I got approved and I will be getting my Playstation card in 3 days. Then I will try to buy that PS3.

+ gate1975mlm on November 30th, 2008 at 7:46 am said:

Sony authorized retailers!!!

Yes Amazon.com is an authorized retailer. Dell.com is also an authorized retailer.

Newegg.com is not on the list however.

+ mthrndr on November 30th, 2008 at 1:59 pm said:

I applied online and was approved instantly. They give you your card # and security code right away. Then you click the “redeem” button in the link in the original post above. This part’s a little confusing, so I’ll try to help others.
1) After you click redeem, select the system you want, then click continue at the bottom of the page.
2)Then, you have to first register yourself on Sonyrewards.com before you can register your card.
3) When I registered, it then took me to my cart with a PS3 in there. On sonyrewards, they calculate by points. 1 point= $.01, so the PS3 was listed as 39,990 points ($399). But there was no 15,000 pt ($150) discount. Fine, I thought, maybe it applies at checkout. Well, when you go to checkout it tells you to buy points first. Well, I was very wary about this – I didn’t want to buy $400 in points and somehow miss my discount. I thought something was wrong.
4) so, I logged out. Then I went back to the redeem link above.
5) this time, I was able to register my card, since I had already registered for sonyrewards.

+ mthrndr on November 30th, 2008 at 1:59 pm said:

continued..
6) Now, it took me to my cart again. This time, there was a PS3 in there, discounted to 24,990 points. (my first attempt was still in there, so I just removed that one)/.
7) There is a shipping fee of $34, so you will be paying a little extra for the convenience of the immediate credit.
8) This time, I bought the sonyrewards points and completed the order.

Hopefully, in two weeks I will have a PS3. The final cost was $284, Which is obviously more than if you do the apply, buy at amazon, and wait for the rebate to credit to your account. For me, the extra $34 is fine to avoid waiting the 8-12 weeks they say it will take to get your credit. I want to pay the card off immediately after getting the system. Then I will cut it up. Boom, $116 saved.

+ mf4elite on November 30th, 2008 at 4:07 pm said:

I too have great credit only to read that I must wait up to 30 days for approval. Spoke with representatives from both Sony and Chase and they mentioned that it should take up to two weeks to get an approval letter in the mail. After, I must wait up to another two weeks to receive the actual card by mail. Only then, when I have the card in hand, can I redeem the instant rebate and get the PS3. I applied November 26th so I am hoping that I get the card in time before the end of the offer (12/31). It is cutting it close and it almost seems like bait to suck you into getting another card. Our credit scores take a hit everytime companies take a look at them…congrats to the lucky few with the instant approval!

+ mako12451 on November 30th, 2008 at 4:16 pm said:

From #142
Went thru the process and was approved, went to Sony Rewards and have a receipt, with PS3 on order.
Thanks mthrndr for the info, everything worked the first time I tried.
I had also sent an email to a person at thatvideogameblog.com, and was reassured that the offer was legit.
Hopefully I’m smiling in a couple of weeks. I’ll be back with the results.