PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

New Peripherals Update: Wireless Keypad and AC Adaptor

Anand Agarwal's Avatar + Posted by Anand Agarwal on Nov 26, 2008 // Sr. Manager, Brand Marketing

Hey everyone, we wanted to provide an update on the new Peripherals we are launching this holiday. First, the Wireless Keypad for the PS3 will be available in stores starting the first week of December. Fans excited about PlayStation Home should definitely consider picking one of these up. The Wireless Keypad enables lightning quick chatting with other PlayStation Home community members. Plus, the unique touch pad mode allows for intuitive Internet browsing on the PS3 browser, and the short cut buttons will come in handy whenever you want to send a message or access your friend’s list from in-game.

Check out this video that we put together to see it in action:

The Wireless Keypad is a Bluetooth device that can be paired with the PS3 and charged seamlessly just by connecting them with a USB cable. You can use it with the PS3 system as well as any other Bluetooth enabled device, such as a smart phone, that has keyboard functionality. Given all these user friendly features, no wonder the Keypad just received a Consumer Electronic Show (CES) Innovation Award. It will be available at retailers for $49.99 (MSRP).

Wireless keypad

Second, an AC Adaptor for charging the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller, SIXAXIS wireless controller, Bluetooth Headset and Wireless Keypad will be available for $24.99 (MSRP) starting the second week of December. The AC Adaptor can simultaneously charge two compatible hardware devices that have a USB connector without having to turn the PS3 system on. And, it charges both the PSP-2000 and PSP-3000.

AC Adaptor

Unlike the PS3 controller charging stations that are available in the market, we wanted to come out with an accessory enabling PS3 users to not only charge their controllers, but also other accessories, such as the new official Bluetooth Headset and Wireless Keypad.

AC Adaptor

Enjoy!

+ gold5225 on November 26th, 2008 at 10:59 am said:

PSN Integration for the Blog PLease alos why is the Blog not on the front page of Playstation.com anymore?

+ Kruegmeister on November 26th, 2008 at 11:02 am said:

How about just giving us the Option to Leave the USB on the Playstation powered up when turned off…
All I need is Another thing to Plug in behind my TV…

+ Shaolin_Master on November 26th, 2008 at 11:03 am said:

Great idea but save yourself some money guys and just buy a wireless keyboard. The chatpad keys look small and annoying to use. So wireless keyboard cheaper and easiar to use.

+ dehumanizer_666 on November 26th, 2008 at 11:05 am said:

Nice key pad but i wouldn’t want to play online with that thing stuck on my controller. I bought a Wireless Logitech MediaBoard (Also has a built in mouse pad, and designed for the PS3) last year for texting over the PSN Network. So i’m fine with that.

+ dehumanizer_666 on November 26th, 2008 at 11:07 am said:

@50,

i have the same, i have both my white and black dualshock 3′s on that and it also charges my Official Sony Bluetooth Headset.

+ Neil on November 26th, 2008 at 11:22 am said:

I am definitely getting the keypad for Home and the browser.

+ oldricksf on November 26th, 2008 at 11:23 am said:

jeff send me an code pshome dont have one plz i send g message to sony to send me one but thy dont send me nothing am sad all my friends got code but not me jeff hello send it at oldricksf@yahoo.com plz happy thanksgiving to all eat alot lol

+ Transient on November 26th, 2008 at 11:27 am said:

The keypad looks cool. What I’d really like to see is LittleBigPlanet supporting multiple keypads. Then I’d like the chat screen in LBP to not interrupt everyone else who’s playing with you.

If Sony can do all that, they might just have sold me a couple extra keypads.

+ Ghostm on November 26th, 2008 at 11:30 am said:

When next week will the keypad be available? Monday, Tuesday?

+ Ghostm on November 26th, 2008 at 11:31 am said:

@ 109

Good point man. I hate it when that digital keyboard appear above LBP.

+ nomz on November 26th, 2008 at 11:33 am said:

The PS3 keypad is awesome and I’m loving the touch pad feature very clever and useful and its only £17.00 here in the UK!
BUT the AC Adaptor is a complete rip off and a scandal to make money, The other alternative and much better way to charge your joypads and Bluetooth devices is for the PS3 system to leave its USB ports active when it is in standby mode (Like the competition does)so it can charge even if PS3 is not turned on, Sony could have easily implemented this into the firmware from the beginning but why they didn’t, Well thats quite obvious now.

+ karmajack on November 26th, 2008 at 11:37 am said:

according to the product decription at Amazon, the adapter only comes with one usb cord. WTF? If it’s meant to charge 2 things, shouldn’t it come with two cables???

+ jazzyrider on November 26th, 2008 at 11:45 am said:

@ 109 & 111

totally agree. not sure if you’re using Home but if they can put a chat window in the bottom leftt like Home does, that would take care of the chats above the sackboy/girl.

+ Lirion on November 26th, 2008 at 11:51 am said:

Orderd this keypad from Play.com.

+ revolutionary on November 26th, 2008 at 11:58 am said:

The keypad looks pretty uncomfortable. Even in the video, you see the hand model (or what/whoever) stressing his fingers to reach a button constantly.
:\
I’ll still get it, but why couldn’t you guys design it like the 360′s? At the bottom seemed so much more user-friendly and something most of us are accustomed to (phones).

+ Wheels86 on November 26th, 2008 at 11:58 am said:

Awesome job I an going to add this to my Christmas list :)

+ RAZR__16 on November 26th, 2008 at 11:59 am said:

Looks awesome, will be very useful

+ the_icon on November 26th, 2008 at 12:01 pm said:

IGN gave bad review on the Keypad, it looks awkward to me. Also too expensive, so does the controller charger.

+ jotorious on November 26th, 2008 at 12:04 pm said:

The AC Adapter is like 2 years late and at least 2 usb ports too few. How bout Sony just modifies the USB ports to provide power even when the System is off. Either through Firmware or a HW change.

+ KuroiSLI on November 26th, 2008 at 12:07 pm said:

That touchpad mode looks pretty sweet.

+ SpookyJuice on November 26th, 2008 at 12:40 pm said:

Hey, Jeff is there anyway you could do like a monthly or weekly Top PSN Game Listing? This would show PSN Gamers wich game was currently the most played online during that week or month. This would help show new players where most of the PSN Action is at.

Just keep the idea in mind ^ _ ^

+ NEJI64 on November 26th, 2008 at 12:41 pm said:

that ac adaptor should come with the keypad. another thing well i have a 60gb but for the people with a 40gb and older with two USB ports. how are they suppose to have all this stuff from a DS3, PSEYE, Keypad, RB/GH Guitar/Drum sets, Sing Star Microphones, Buzz Set Buzzers. basically its being more accessories being made for the PS3 but it only have 2 USB Port. its no hassle to switch when its needed but if two or more things have to charge or needed then what? Your missing out on the one thing that will make you the most money a three USB Port.

+ DudeFX on November 26th, 2008 at 12:53 pm said:

I pre-ordered this back a few months ago when it was $39.99, so glad I locked that price in on Amazon with next day shipping. I still think the pricing is a little hefty, but it looks cool and I do want a nice keyboard for my PS3. Why was this delayed? It was originally slated for Mid-November.

+ ffiel2 on November 26th, 2008 at 1:22 pm said:

love the keypad and the ac. can’t wait till i get my own.

+ karmajack on November 26th, 2008 at 1:27 pm said:

I have the keypad. Gamestop shipped it a few days ago. As a beta tester in Home, it’s become much more convenient than a bulky keyboard.

+ MeltTech on November 26th, 2008 at 1:30 pm said:

I have the Logitech BT keyboard for the PS3 and a Plantronics BT mic. Never have any problem out of either of them.

Until now!

Seeing as how I subscribed to Qore on Day 1 using my sub account and my GAP membership is linked to my other PSN that I never play and no one knows me on, I never received a HOME beta key. But someone else gave me theirs since they received three??? So I don’t have access to the HOME beta discussion forums.

When in HOME my BT keyboard will NOT work when my BT mic is powered on. It works great in HOME, until I turn on my mic to talk to some and type to someone else. As soon as I turn off my mic, the keyboard works flawlessly again.

Someone want to send me my BETA key so I can give it to my brother or others that subscribed to Qore on day 1 and have not received a beta invite either?

+ CheesePie13 on November 26th, 2008 at 1:35 pm said:

Too expensive :(

+ Astro411 on November 26th, 2008 at 1:45 pm said:

I’m definitely getting both :) , Thank you.

BTW : – Can the Keypad be used with a PC or a Laptop?

– What did Jeff mean when he said ” It’ll all be irrelevant soon ” about the Blog site?

– When will the PSP keyboard be released?

+ hzr1013 on November 26th, 2008 at 1:48 pm said:

Like many others out there, I am wondering how accessible the L1+2 & R1+2 buttons are when the keypad is attached. I don’t do much socializing online but the keypad does look interesting.

+ Stoffinator on November 26th, 2008 at 2:13 pm said:

Thats pricey for a keypad ad on. :-[ Guess I will have to stick with my keyboard until the price drops on it.

+ ChefOo7 on November 26th, 2008 at 2:15 pm said:

Since I heard that most of the invites were sent out Friday of last week for Home closed beta v1.0, and seeing as how (with my string of bad luck) I didn’t see one in my inbox, I wasn’t expecting to see an invite since.

So unsuspectingly, I check my email this afternoon, and there it was, an invite, staring me in the face, waving, “Welcome!”

^_^ Can’t stop smiling now. Just another reason to be thankful this year!

And with that, now I think I have a valid reason to purchase the keypad; I have a Logitech wireless keyboard (read: clunky!) and would love to upgrade.. but 50 dollars IS pretty steep.. wish I had the info some of you folks had and locked the cheaper price at Amazon during the pre-order. *sigh*

+ ChefOo7 on November 26th, 2008 at 2:18 pm said:

Oh, and one more thing, the thought occurred to me when I was watching the video: I’m assuming that since the keypad has touchpad/mouse capability, we won’t need to use the analog stick anymore to move the mouse, or will either of them suffice?

Come to think of it, certain games might read the analog stick as movement, so using the keypad as a mouse might not be so bad ;)

+ Skater_Ricky on November 26th, 2008 at 2:28 pm said:

1 down one more to go… All I need is the Wireless Keypad and im set even tho I already have a USB keyboard LOL.. it would make it easier for me to have this instead of puting down one and picking up another to Type a Message :D

+ THATPSPGUY on November 26th, 2008 at 2:35 pm said:

The keypad is great and I can’t wait to BUY one, In Canada soon also, RIGHT? Also, when is the keyboard for the PSP coming out? Its nice to have a real qwerty keyboard in the psp but a real life attachment would be great. Please update me on this soon Jeff. The charger is great also, now I know why there is no idle charge feature on the ps3.

+ JuJuRMJ on November 26th, 2008 at 3:06 pm said:

The keypad is awesome, its features sold me. When it is available in my area, I will definitely pick this up!

+ VariantNecrosis on November 26th, 2008 at 3:19 pm said:

This is a great option to have, wonderful news. Definitely a must have item for me! Glad to hear they will be here in time for Christmas. :)

+ Ramage on November 26th, 2008 at 5:43 pm said:

I see no advantage to this as I already have a headset…but the mouse effect is killer.

+ Noc Da Sniper on November 26th, 2008 at 5:45 pm said:

I agree with the others… the keypad will definitly help you in home but with that price I will wait and get one cheaper on ebay.. i mean the games are high enough the joysticks are the same price as the game and this is only a little lower than a game… I will buy this on ebay for like 20 to 30 bucks a month from now……

I love you sony but …. we in a recession!!

+ Red1126 on November 26th, 2008 at 6:02 pm said:

i can’t wait to buy this…
BTW jeff if you haven’t noticed from other post
we want friend groups on the friends list!!!

+ pudgenet on November 26th, 2008 at 6:50 pm said:

How does the touchpad work?

+ AceStrike on November 26th, 2008 at 7:17 pm said:

Good, an AC adapter, finally can charge my controller and mic without having to leave my system on.

+ glody on November 26th, 2008 at 9:20 pm said:

Do the keys on the keypad light up or glow when it gets dark?

+ Mr. Admirable on November 26th, 2008 at 10:36 pm said:

Can anyone make this clear to me, so will the Playstation 3 AC Adapter come with the official Blu-Tooth headset and Wireless Keypad all at a price of 24.99? Will each accessory be separate and it cost 24.99 each?

+ darkedgex on November 27th, 2008 at 2:57 am said:

I like that the keypad is a bluetooth device but that’s just too expensive. For $30 you’d have my money.

As others have suggested an official PS3 keyboard would be nice (especially if it had a touchpad of some sort that functioned as a mouse in the browser/elsewhere). If you do go the keyboard route, make sure to include a PS button on it (since I guess the logitech keyboard lacks that feature).

+ darkedgex on November 27th, 2008 at 2:58 am said:

@144 (Mr. Admirable):

No, it’s just the AC adapter and nothing else. The headset and keypad are sold separately for a lot more (the keypad is $50, as is the headset I believe).

+ Gibb on November 27th, 2008 at 3:30 am said:

The AC adapter is a good idea.. now I can recharge my controllers after playing and turn off the PS3.

Oh, and for the PS4 or some next PS3 iteration, please put some USB ports AT THE BACK of the device (it’s a sloppy sight when the cable for the EyeCam is hanging in front of my PS3, I always keep it connected).

+ K2016 on November 27th, 2008 at 7:06 am said:

This is very cool and all, but honestly, it’s overpriced. When I get some extra cash, I’ll get it. Until then, I’ll keep using my $5 wired keyboard.

+ Drackir on November 27th, 2008 at 10:41 am said:

I suppose it’s too late to ask this but will the controller and keypad be rechargeable through one single USB cable at the same time?

+ wyldekat on November 27th, 2008 at 10:52 am said:

1st day buy.

PSN= wyldekat

+ scorpio on November 27th, 2008 at 11:16 am said:

Counting down the days for this keypad.

It’s going to make communicating in Home and LBP awesome!!!