PlayStation Vue

Dec 09

“SACK IT TO ME”…Weekly Answers to the LBP Community’s Questions (12/9)

Mark Valledor's Avatar Posted by Mark Valledor on Dec 09, 2008 // Marketing Manager, SCEA

Another crazy week in the world of LBP filled with tons of new questions for us to answer. But before we get to the questions, we wanted to introduce “efong”, one of our US producers for LittleBigPlanet. You may have noticed him jumping in to answer a few of your questions in the comments section last week, and we’re glad he’s able to help you guys out. Now, onto the latest!

We haven’t forgotten about those of you who have been affected by level moderation either. Changes are coming very soon, and we believe the way we check levels for inappropriate content will soon start to be received more favorably. We know it’s a big deal, and we’re very much working on it.

We hope you noticed but within the data for each user created level, there appears the “Star rankings” associated with fellow players ranking levels.

Failed to load level
Several of you have gotten this message when playing online. This is one of the things on our list, wanted to provide some insight on the message.

The “Failed to Load Level” message happens in two basic situations – firstly, if latency or server conditions result in a time out before the level completes loading, and secondly, if you’re trying to access a level that has been moderated. Assuming that you haven’t received a moderation notice, it might well be worth trying again as it could have been a temporary issue causing the inability to load.

Wanted to explain a bit about our servers to address the issue of Lag. Online multiplayer gameplay on LBP works on a P2P principle, so the connection is as stable as the weakest link in your party. And if someone is trying to play through WLAN or has a lower connection, lag occurs. This is not to be confused with lag you may experience when accessing the servers. The servers for LittleBigPlanet act only as a gateway or matchmaking service for multiplayer games; once you’re in a level, the server is no longer part of it — it’s purely down to your connection speed and that of the people you’re playing with. We’re aware that quite a few players experience excessive amounts of laggy play and Media Molecule is working on optimizing the multiplayer netcode further in order to minimize this, however when talking about the servers, they are now for the most part stable, which should considerably reduce those occasions where the online side of the game is not available at all. We’re still working to improve things further, but we’ve already come a long way since the game launched.

Full Profiles
Some have started seeing a Full Profiles message. Essentially, there are too many items stored in your Popit menu — especially in “Community Objects” category. To make your profile “less full”, go into your Popit and delete some of the unwanted objects (pictures, objects, etc). On our end, we’re aware that there is interest in seeing profile space increasing and we’re looking into it further.
An impressive community fansite popped up last week and we were all impressed, but we’ve been in discussions with the site owner and requested the site be suspended. Chris, the site owner, was happy to work with us on this. Our intent is to be able to offer everyone the choice of whether their shared data is visible or not in order to protect everyone’s privacy, and while Sackbook was doing nothing wrong in the way it presented information and had no access to any personal data, we believe this additional option is important.

Lots of inquiries on this one. And yes, there are major plans for Sackboy merchandise. Expect to see a handful of announcements in the New Year. Why is it taking so long you ask? Few reasons. It’s a new IP (intellectual property) and many companies are unwilling to take a risk manufacturing a whole new line on something new and untested, which is why you always see tons of merchandise around major ‘sequel’ releases. Also, once we get companies on board, the production lead times are insanely long. Another reason is quality — we absolutely love Sackboy and want to make sure that our merchandise is the highest quality. You should see some of the samples we’ve received (not so good). Don’t worry, you’ll start seeing things soon enough.

…That’s it for this week. Don’t forget to jump in the comments below and ask some more questions. We’ll try to get to all of them, and if we don’t , no need to get frustrated. We need questions to answer for next week’s installment.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Stinkin Mushroom on December 10th, 2008 at 2:45 am said:

Hope i’m not to late for my questions:

For me, one of the main problems is levelsharing.. There just isn’t enough ways to view the levels, please consider different ways to display them like on most sites as youtube. I mean, show level by:

Best Ratio views\hearts
Best this week (based on star rating)
Best today (based on star rating)
Most commented this week

Plese respond to this question, thank you

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on December 10th, 2008 at 4:06 am said:

Already ahead of you. As mentioned, its in the works…maybe not exactly as you propose, but along the same line of thinking

+ blackdisney on December 10th, 2008 at 3:06 am said:

I would like to see G.I. Joe costumes.

1. Cobra Commander

2. Destro

3. Scarlett

4. Duke

5. Snake Eyes

6. Storm Shadow

7. Baroness

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on December 10th, 2008 at 4:06 am said:

No Tomax & Xamot? (my personal fav)

+ blackdisney on December 10th, 2008 at 3:14 am said:

I love this game and I wish the story mode was longer. Im wondering if theyre making DLC or LBP 2. And if Sony has sense they’ll put it on PSP, I’d definitely get a PSP if theu stack up on the game selection

+ Stinkin Mushroom on December 10th, 2008 at 3:24 am said:

Sorry by the way.. All you hear are complaints, your game is awesme.. We just want it to be super awesome lol

+ Sackmaistr. on December 10th, 2008 at 3:56 am said:

Im sorry but i dont buy into the ‘privacy’ thing concerning the sackbook issue. Privacy is a populist arguement and it holds no ground in a world where cameras and sensors are installed all around our real world life. There is no privacy issue concerning sackbook at all, the most you could make of it is basing it on server privacy, but this smells like corporate rights hoarding to me.

I do have something positive to say though; im glad you people are finally doing something about the current problems wich read ‘ill minded people sabotaging the game troughout the good grief tool giving an open door.’ ‘The huge lack on giving the playerbase the feeling at all that they are being heard’ and finally ‘thinking of adding more music/levels/sack-equipment’

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on December 10th, 2008 at 4:20 am said:

Hey Sackmaistr – you\’re entitled to not buy into anything, but privacy in this world of digital information is very important. I guess you\’d be singing a different tune if a hacker accessed the network, stole your credit card number, and left you for broke.

+ Sackmaistr. on December 10th, 2008 at 3:56 am said:

-2nd post cause comment was too long-

A small bundle of tips/requests to end this post.. could there please be a way to copy individual stickers in level edit like you copy materials? Its quite time consuming going trough a full menu everytime. Also There should be non layered clothing pieces so we can actually fit custom stickers on them. Lastly; Please for the love of god remove the trophy levels, it is really clear that its a group of people that just rent the game for the trophys that play these. 9 out of 10 people on any sackboy community absolutely hate that these levels are on the cool level page. How is it possible that in the last ‘official’ promotion video (share) on PSN a heart was seen given to the 7x trophy level????? That really gives the wrong message.

When i see people suggest to put a top 10 for levels in pulse i really well hope that both the trophyhoarders and the searchengine issues are fixed first.

Regards; Daniel.

+ Stinkin Mushroom on December 10th, 2008 at 4:19 am said:

Thanks for the response, never saw you guys answer to that issue.Keep up the great work :)

+ Mr_w00t on December 10th, 2008 at 4:24 am said:

Love the game to bits guys, ive had a broken leg for the past week and, god, has time flew by!

Anyway, i was editing a level one day and when i tried to get back on it, it said ‘failed to load level’ when i didn’t even publish it or anything… I spent a lot of time on it and i cant even access it now :(

Its not published, its on my moon and contains no moderate worthy material. Its based on an ice mountain :D

Anyway, fantastic work and thanks for answering our questions!

Now, to try and ace Bunker level…

+ Sehlat on December 10th, 2008 at 5:02 am said:

Don’t forget about us poor deprived 1080 only users. Just a friendly bump to remind you there is still a decent amount of us eagerly hoping and waiting.

Yes my fingers are still crossed, they’re starting to cramp but it’s worth it.

+ the_icon on December 10th, 2008 at 5:07 am said:

Thanks for answering the questions. We need to upgrade the LBP Work shop with like features.

+ jpgarnham on December 10th, 2008 at 5:28 am said:

I am registered in the spanish PlayStation Network, but I bought my LBP in the US. I have tryed to download stuff (like sackboy costumes) and they don’t work, they don’t appear in the game. Why does that happen? Are you going to fix that?

+ KnizzleHizzle on December 10th, 2008 at 5:34 am said:

I second what #70 wrote about high heels. My wife would KILL for high heels in LBP, she usually use about 10 minutes before we play to setup up her sackgirl. And as poster #70 this is the only game she plays… at all…

So, high heels FTW!

Also, to me, online create mode would definitely put LBP into 11 out of 10 stars :)

And random new level, I have a hard time finding new levels now, just having a button that would let me play levels I haven’t would be awesome.

One last thing and this is actually A REAL ISSUE:

Why, oh god, why isn’t there a block so that people can’t publish levels with no exits? I mean, it’s completely useless! I don’t look at each and every level title so I keep hitting those because there’s no indicator that I’ve played it anywhere!

+ maluraq on December 10th, 2008 at 5:40 am said:

@Axecution: while the profile loading is a little slow and needs a progress bar or notice of some form, I completely disagree with your comment — that profile loader when a controller is turned on is awesome and needs to be implemented in more games (Tekken comes to mind!)

@quine: what bugs? It really does help if you actually NAME a bug. Personally, I’ve put a lot of hours into LBP and have no interesting bugs to complain about.

+ Daver on December 10th, 2008 at 5:58 am said:

I hope the sackboy plush will be very similar to the one in the game, i mean some that i saw were probably home made and were not looking that great, i think one of the best was the one from the mother of a MM developer or something like that.
For home, like others said that would be nice to have a space for LBP and maybe our person in home could wear a costume of sackboy that would be funny

+ Fatez on December 10th, 2008 at 6:03 am said:

Hello Mark,

Any chance we see KISS members sackboys as a pay DLC?
:) Its fits just great :)

Also, can you guys add a screenshot option so we can take off a jpg of the ps3 of the game ?? like the picture the game allows you to take.

+ droolster on December 10th, 2008 at 6:22 am said:

I’m with you guys on quality mdse. Get it right and get it out. My 7 year old doesn’t want a sackboy knock off!

+ Cheesehead Dave on December 10th, 2008 at 6:30 am said:

Do downloadable costumes transfer to subaccounts? i.e. If I buy a costume, will my kids’ subaccounts have access to it as well or do I need to download it multiple times?

+ Aeneman on December 10th, 2008 at 6:57 am said:

Tomax and Xamot… Were those the twins with the scars on their face? Wow, does that bring back some childhood memories..

+ PitchBlack on December 10th, 2008 at 7:08 am said:

Question…sometimes I look online to see what people say are great user created levels on LBP. However, when I search the names of the levels on LBP, I’m having trouble finding them. Whats the best way to find a specific level on LBP?

+ BigRon3400 on December 10th, 2008 at 7:19 am said:

The DLC for the Street Fighter characters is way too high. It needs to be 2.99 for the set. I refuse to pay that much and I hope others agree.

My level , Duckrollmobile FTW! has never been played and will not load for anyone but me. (PSN: BigRon3400).

Can you guys add a search for PSN function? The regular search doesn’t seem to work to well when you are searching for a person instead of a level name.

+ StalkingSilence on December 10th, 2008 at 7:29 am said:

It’s unfortunate that the approval process for PSN content takes so long that the patches must include so many fixes (delaying release) because it’s tough to get little things through QA. Maybe Sony could provide some support in this area with dedicated resources to helping the games it’s invested in.

+ Bananagoo on December 10th, 2008 at 7:43 am said:

Great work on this game! The best side scrolling platform since Super Mario World!

Just a comment on a question that was asked last week that didn’t get answered this week (someone said they would have more info this week!)

What ever happened to the Parsons Design School Contest levels that were created by students before the games release? I remember reading tons of articles saying that they would be playable upon release, but have not heard anything since.

Please! I am dying to play these levels!

+ Sanji-kun on December 10th, 2008 at 7:47 am said:

Ok whats the deal with this photo its been annoying me.
How can you grab an object in each hand?
is this part of the “significant update”

i would like to see some sort of double jump and flips maybe a long jump possibly a dive or roll :P just idea to shove more awesome into LBP.

+ on December 10th, 2008 at 7:55 am said:

This Sack it to me feature is great and shows how committed you guys are for the LittleBigPlanet community.

I hope that I’m not too late and that you can still answer the questions Mark.

1. LBP is close (or is over) the 1 million sold copies, however: Have you noticed that the dev team was a little disappointed with that? Since a lot of people said it would sell over 3 million, Honestly I expected around 1.5 million, but I’m sure that you will reach the 3 million eventually.

2. How’s it going with MM other game: Rag doll ? anything you can share with us?

3. Can you maybe give a hint if ” ice ” is coming to LBP? it was shown on trailers so.. I guess it will come eventually right?

Thanks, Game on guys!

+ Enforcer_X on December 10th, 2008 at 8:04 am said:

Thank you so much for answering my previous questions and going into detail regarding the online play of LBP. Knowing it is P2P helps a lot!

However it also brings up another issue.
When I play with my friend just 2 of us it works fine. When our significant others pick up the 2nd controller and join us it lags so bad it’s unplayable. I am hoping optimized netcode will fix this issue.

I still want to know more regarding the counting of Play, Create, Share.
Is it still counting Play even though it doesn’t display? Is counting done server side only?

I have not run into the full profile issue yet but the solution is to delete things?
Do we still have access to them another way or by deleting is it for good?

One last thing with the plush Sackboys, I am glad to see you take the quality seriously.
It would be great to see before Christmas but I understand the process. Keep up the high quality and forget those Sackboys on play-asia those are garbage!

Anyway thanks for these posts I hope our feedback is as helpful as your posts and answers to us.

+ Enforcer_X on December 10th, 2008 at 8:18 am said:

I have to admit I would totally pay those sums for LBP physical real world items.

I would buy a giant Sackboy for upwards of $200

I LOVE real world video game perephenalia!

+ ThaKrib on December 10th, 2008 at 8:38 am said:

For those of you trying to search within LBP community levels, it’s often easier to search by the author/creator instead of the level name.

Is there any chance that the search engine will expand to allow you to search by star rating?

+ foolkiller79 on December 10th, 2008 at 8:52 am said:

@efong – if you seriously haven’t heard complaints regarding search then visit the LittleBigWorkshop forums. Sam Protagonist has even commented on it.

Regarding Sackbook: What privacy issues? Nothing is available that isn’t available in-game. And it seems that, based on the EULA, if Sony approves it then it should be fine.

And with lag, I only have a 1mb down, 128kb up connection, so I know it is slow. Still I can host four players in Warhawk without problem and GT5P is no worse for me than guys with 13mb connections. So, I know it can work and I am patiently waiting for that day.

Now, a good question. Are there plans for You Tube video recording? I am wanting to use You Tube to promote my level but making a video of my TV or connecting the PS3 to my TV tuner card on my Vaio is a hassle.

I’m still loving the game guys and look forward to what you have in the future.

+ Rob on December 10th, 2008 at 9:01 am said:

Why is the bug that causes 3rd party controllers to stop working in LBP not fixed? And when are you finally going to fix it? :(

+ vesperdem on December 10th, 2008 at 9:04 am said:

I have two suggestsion for LBP’s future.

One is the SEARCH feature. When I search for a PSN name, I wind up getting a bunch of names other than the one I was looking for. I finally find the one I am looking for on “planet” 3. I can understand not searching for exact matches with some searches, but if I am searching for “The Ruined City”, I don’t expect to find 12 levels that have the word “City” in it, 15 with Ruined in it, 7 with PSN names that have “city” or “ruined” in them, etc…

The other is something that would make creating objects in the level editor easier. Having a knife tool would be great. Imagine creating a “block” of stone, then using the knife, cutting the block into separate pieces so that when finished, you still have a block, but there are 15 pieces that fit together like a puzzle. The tutorial that shows how to change a material showed a block of stone with a sackboy inside. I can’t imagine creating that block with the existing tools. Having a knife tool would make cutting up those pieces really easy.

Thanks for listening. :)

+ zeke2040 on December 10th, 2008 at 9:15 am said:

i want to personally thanks you for answer some of us gamer question.. LBP has become a great and rememorable game… all my friends and family love it… think about it, i have 5 ps3 at home, and everyone in the family has a copy of the game…lol thanks for the hard work on the game, and keep LBP coming.. also i can’t wait for the capcom pack this week.. have a great weekend you guys/girls

+ scorpio on December 10th, 2008 at 9:20 am said:

I hardly have issues with lag…

+ se7enthsign-psn on December 10th, 2008 at 9:36 am said:

Hi! I don’t know if this has been addressed, but a number of people from PS3 forums have questions about the “cool levels” feature.

Personally, I would like to know the criteria for appearing in the “cool levels” section. I am not saying that my levels are great or anything, but I know that they are better than the “7 free trophies” and “U heart me, I heart u” levels that are CONSTANTLY on page 1.

Out of all of the thousands of user levels that have been made, it seems like the SAME ones are always on the “cool levels” tab. Perhaps it would be better to add new categories to the search option. It would be nice to see what was recently published as well as most popular this week and month, friends levels, and levels by location.

Mainly, I’d just like to NOT see the same old levels EVERY time I go into the game, and MAYBE even see one of mine at some point.

+ Aschx on December 10th, 2008 at 9:45 am said:

Hello, thanks for the post Mark. I was just wondering if there are any plans to creat a gamespace for Home at this time?

+ Aschx on December 10th, 2008 at 9:55 am said:

Disregard my last quetion #111 as I see the answer at Question #1 ;)

+ Stinkin Mushroom on December 10th, 2008 at 10:04 am said:

@ 100: i think it’s just some artowrk you know, i don’t think they are going to change something on the gameplay side..

+ Devils_Demon on December 10th, 2008 at 10:12 am said:

Hi MM.

I’m very surprised that the following problem hasn’t been addressed yet as 2 people on my friend list have complained about it too.

Basically if your level gets too big (90% or something) things start breaking at random.
I spent ages on my Aztec Treasure level but I had to change the ending because what I originally had planned caused other parts in my level to break or unglue. Swings at the beginning would suddenly be falling to the ground because the string would detach itself or pieces would fall to the ground because the become unglued completely at random. Everything would be 100% everytime I tested it all the way through but when I got near the end and th level was over 90% of the thermometer the whole level would start failing.
Really annoying.

+ Agapetos on December 10th, 2008 at 10:14 am said:

Hey hey just noticed it was opened anew sack it to me,so ill re-post here:

i have gotten alot of questions about why lbp lags from friends of mine, and i usually experience it the days before DLC lunch, is there any connection here, is there prepping of server for DLC, and is there any special router port that should be open, and what port is LBP running on?

also i want a rubber chicken in LBP like the wooden sword and the frying pan and the little sackboy, everybody would love to smack people around with a rubber chicken at-least i would hehe.

love the blog . keep up the good work

+ GAME-HERO on December 10th, 2008 at 10:29 am said:

+ SpyroLuver88 on December 10th, 2008 at 11:00 am said:

I have a suggestion and a question.

Please don’t neglect the girl gamers when you put out merchandise. I would like a girls shirt. If you go into Wal-mart for example, you can get Guitar Hero shirts and PJ’s but only for men. What’s up with that. i can get a guys shirt that I can wear but it looks like a guys shirt. And if you do make womans shirts please don’t stop at Large. I have curves:)

My question is: Why put out a God of War bonus of stickers and stuff (GameStop reserve gift) if you are going to moderate levels based on other games? Wouldn’t that encourage people to make them? Or is it because it’s a first party game that it’s OK? I could’ve swore that the GOW level I played was moderated.

+ kmac0378 on December 10th, 2008 at 11:33 am said:

@103 – HAHA! I guess there’s a collector in us all.

+ on December 10th, 2008 at 12:11 pm said:

I don’t know if you guys have quit reading these comments already, but are we going to see gameplay fixes for the core mechanics?

I know the Media Molecule head mentioned his own frustration with the z-axis maneuvering, but about the broken jump mechanics?

My own suggestion: rather than x for short jump and X for long jump, just have a double jump. Every modern platformer includes either double jumping (Jak, Okami, Psychonauts, etc.) or modified mid-movement jumping (like Ratchet’s helicopter pack, the water pump in Mario Sunshine, etc.) because it’s more intuitive to modify your movements as you’re doing them as opposed to committing to a motion before you completely pass an obstacle (in fact, the obstacle’s end may not even come into view until you’re halfway over it).

You know that second to last level in the game? The one with the big wheel? That one really highlights just how broken the jumping is.

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on December 10th, 2008 at 12:22 pm said:

Please answer this question…

Will we ever see IN-GAME XMB MUSIC ACCESS as an OPTION?? Please…

I love the current music but after my 25 time playing a level I want to be able to LISTEN to my OWN music as I play or create a level…

+ Shrineart on December 10th, 2008 at 12:27 pm said:

How are these levels being reviewed? I mean do you go into create or play mode to review them? I’m just curious because it seems to take forever to get a moderation cleared. I think that’s my primary issue right now with the system. How long it takes and that we get no information regarding how long a level will be down. I mean poor caliblue15 has been complaining about his level for ages. My husband’s come across him on other boards trying to get this fixed.

Level Name: Truck Mountain v0.7
PSN ID: caliblue15
Copyright Infringement?: No
Other IP’s used: No.

I know you guys are working on it but any estimated time for this to get resolved or information regarding the review process would be awesome.

+ Poopfoot1980 on December 10th, 2008 at 12:52 pm said:

Are there any plans for 1080i support?

+ nosecoaster on December 10th, 2008 at 2:06 pm said:

I’m not sure how to contact you any other way, so, if it’s okay, I’ll reply to your question here.

Original post:
nosecoaster | December 7th, 2008 at 6:58 pm
Speaking of the Day 1 shirt, I preordered my copy of LBP from gamestop and have yet to receive the code for the GoW costumes…the employees at my local Gamestop told me to call Sony, which was a spectacular failure. Are the codes for those costumes still being made?

efong replied on December 8, 2008 at 12:27 pm
I had heard there were issues with codes being redeemed before the content was available… have not heard of a problem with codes being issued (I thought the keys were on GameStop cards available when you picked up your copy of the game?)

I’ll check with our Marketing and PR.

+ nosecoaster on December 10th, 2008 at 2:07 pm said:

-> My good friend had preordered LBP for my birthday, and he picked it up the weekend after release for me; he was told that they didn’t have any codes at the time and to check in later for updates. This gamestop was at the local mall, which is far away from both of our houses, so neither of us were able to stop by and see if they had any codes available. I called in, and they said to contact Sony or Media Molecule to get one. I called Sony, and they told me that they weren’t handling it, so my last option is to bug you guys directly. Sorry for the bother, but, hey, the reason I had my friend preorder it at gamestop instead of somewhere more convenient was for the extra content, and being a huge GoW/ancient Greek mythology buff, it was one of the things about the game I was most looking forward to. I have the preorder and purchase receipts in case you need proof that I preordered it; can you help me?

~Nosecoaster (“TJ Bottlepockets” master account, which I’m usually logged into because that profile has all of my trophies)

+ nosecoaster on December 10th, 2008 at 2:08 pm said:

P.S. I could go on for pages about LBP; I played it at a party and it had even non-gamers saying “I really want this game”. Regardless of whether or not you can help me score that GoW pack, I love LittleBigPlanet and thanks so much for making this game such a blast! :D

P.P.S. I’m really sorry for the triple post; I wanted to include as much information as possible in order to make things easier for you, but kept hitting the character limit. You might want to mention that said limit seems to include spaces as characters.

+ DudeFX on December 10th, 2008 at 2:15 pm said:

Mark, can you make LBP have the same Home texting feature? In Home when using the keypad, a text panel appears automatically. We need this in LBP too, pressing popit then square is an extra step that is not needed.

PAGE 1 2 3 4