PS3-TLOU Left Behind

SPIKE 2008 VGAs: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves trailer World Premiere

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Dec 15, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

If you watched last night’s 2008 SPIKE Video Game Awards, you heard the term “World Premiere!” quite a bit. Perhaps the most impressive “World Premiere!” was the reveal of the Uncharted 2: Among Thieves trailer. Shortly after the show ended, I caught up with the Josh Scherr, Cinematics Lead at Naughty Dog.

As the man behind the trailer, Josh shared his insights into Nathan Drake, and what it’s like to debut the first look of such a highly-anticipated title on a national stage.

Don’t forget, you can jump onto the PlayStation Store right now this Thursday and download the Uncharted 2 trailer for yourself!

66 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ lifeRPGs on December 15th, 2008 at 2:06 pm said:

I’m still shocked at what i saw yesterday….that was bloody jawbreaking!

Naughty Dog are simply the best. If only they could bring back CTR and release on the PSN Crash Team Racing HD with online play..

Keep up the good work, i’ve grown up with your games, and will get old with yours too.

That GoW3 trailer was catastrophic BTW…all those hypes and what do we get? A 10 sec boring and impressive trailer….meh, i don’t care anyway, GoW2 (second half of the game) was trash anyway.

My 2009 day one purchases: Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, Flower.

Talking about Flower, what happened to it?

+ ftown on December 15th, 2008 at 2:10 pm said:

uncharted was more like a teaser than a trailer, can I have more please?

+ inspace2020 on December 15th, 2008 at 2:11 pm said:

This game is gonna be AMAZING!!! I just picked up Uncharted 1 and I’m loving it!!! Can’t wait!

Here are more screen shots if you haven’t seen them yet…

+ seph1r0th00 on December 15th, 2008 at 2:14 pm said:

Nathan Drake is back!!!! Woohoo!!! I’m glad to see his dialogue is just as witty as it was in the first game. Can’t wait for Among Thieves!

+ bob on December 15th, 2008 at 2:14 pm said:

man all rendered in game thats amazing

+ mendezgato on December 15th, 2008 at 2:15 pm said:

wow this one and god of war 3 together with killzone are going to make ’09 a really good year thanks for the interview Jeff, 1 more thing, is there a release date for god of war? please let me know if you know anything, thanks.

+ TheGuardian1973 on December 15th, 2008 at 2:18 pm said:

This game is gonna be so Freaking Awesome, I mean look at it, it’s beautiful!!! :D

+ SPARDA on December 15th, 2008 at 2:19 pm said:

I love the first Uncharted and will pick up Uncharted 2 on day one. The footage and images I have seen so far are UNBELIEVEBLE.
Can’t wait
Great stuff ND

SPARDA

+ Ajora on December 15th, 2008 at 2:21 pm said:

Awesome, I love Noughty Dog, Uncharted and especially Jak & Daxter! THis is good stuff + it’s in game not pre-rendered? Epic win!

+ outkast32 on December 15th, 2008 at 2:24 pm said:

Looks great, but.. probaly not gona get a buy unless online

+ mywhitenoise on December 15th, 2008 at 2:24 pm said:

Just call it Uncharted: Among Thieves.

Can’t wait to play this, hopefully it comes out before Summer…I’m sick of all the good games coming out at the end of October/November.

+ NathanJ on December 15th, 2008 at 2:32 pm said:

Sony first party dominance. 20 first party developer studios plus all of the exclusive devs like Insomniac versus Nintendo with 10 studios and Microsoft’s joke of a first party developer lineup with only 3. It should be obvious why Sony show after show continues to utterly dominate with upcomming games being shown and the other console’s fans keep crying about how ‘e3 sucks’ because they have nothing new to show.

God War 3
Uncharted 2
Killzone 2
White Knight
inFamous
Heavy Rain

just to name a few of the heavy hitters. And not a single one downgraded to fit on the stupid 7 gigabyte 360 DVD disc or downgraded to run on the wimpy and poorly designed 360 graphics hardware.

+ sascha23 on December 15th, 2008 at 2:35 pm said:

Uncharted 2 is hands-down the title I am most looking forward to in 2009 (tied with Final Fantasy XIII).

Drake oozes with charm and is just really likable and fun. Essentially a digital Indiana Jones.

I look forward to continuing my “half-tuck” experience.

+ sascha23 on December 15th, 2008 at 2:35 pm said:

Okay, I will also add Heavy Rain to the top titles I am drooling over. So add it to the above comment. ;)

+ C-h-a-o-s on December 15th, 2008 at 2:37 pm said:

I can’t wait for Uncharted 2, I absolutely loved Drakes Fortune.

+ blkant on December 15th, 2008 at 2:37 pm said:

I have NEVER been this excited for a game in my life, I love what you do Naughty Dog. I love Uncharted and I loved the Jak series (which I do hope you continue eventually, but uncharted does totally equal it in quality so neither are better than the other), they’re both easily in my top 10 games, and both are tied with a couple other games for first :P Can’t wait, loved that trailer for the original too, can’t wait to see another musical trailer for this one :D

P.S. This is a first day buy, no doubt.

+ 40cal on December 15th, 2008 at 2:37 pm said:

Man I have not been as excited for a long time about games since the PS3 launch. UNCHARTED 2, KILLZONE 2, AND GOD OF WAR III are the 3 best looking games so far this gen.

As Sony Computer Entertainment drops bombs the planet earth trembles!

Off to the store to download the trailer.

+ elorm9 on December 15th, 2008 at 2:39 pm said:

Thanks for the interview!

+ EViD on December 15th, 2008 at 2:40 pm said:

I hoped for some game-play footage but that was more than enough to impress me. We asked for a mine-cart level and you guys answered with a train (I’m still hoping for the mine-cart as well, though). Fall 2009 can’t come soon enough.

+ Neil on December 15th, 2008 at 2:42 pm said:

Love the nerds in the background.

+ 40cal on December 15th, 2008 at 2:42 pm said:

“Don’t forget, you can jump onto the PlayStation Store right now and download the Uncharted 2 trailer for yourself!”

Um, hello, its not there yet.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 15th, 2008 at 3:04 pm said:

Ah, apparently it\’s hitting Thursday. This is what I get for going to LA.

Changing the post now…

+ Adamalicious on December 15th, 2008 at 2:45 pm said:

Uncharted rules. Keep ‘em coming!

+ blkant on December 15th, 2008 at 2:51 pm said:

Post #9 “Looks great, but.. probaly not gona get a buy unless online”

Your an idiot. Plain and simple, to not get a game if it doesn’t have online. Truly just an idiot. Personally I hope they don’t add online and just focus on a AAA Single player like they’ve always done with Jak and the first Uncharted.

+ EViD on December 15th, 2008 at 3:00 pm said:

Sorry for double posting but the trailer isn’t up yet.

+ KARX on December 15th, 2008 at 3:01 pm said:

WOW! Coll new Uncharted trailer!!! Thank for the interview Jeff !!!! Keep informing us about this great console-seller game!

+ Frazz on December 15th, 2008 at 3:01 pm said:

I dont see the trailer on the store.Only the God of War trailer.

+ nmc75 on December 15th, 2008 at 3:02 pm said:

The only game that can top Uncharted is the sequel… I can’t wait for Among Thieves! Please let it come out next summer.

+ schwaa on December 15th, 2008 at 3:04 pm said:

Great. Just cause the GOW 3 trailer wasn’t what everyone thought it would be, now it will be trashed endlessly. NEwho, U3 trailer looked AWESOME, as that character model looked like it was in-game. Yes?

+ schwaa on December 15th, 2008 at 3:04 pm said:

errr..U2, I mean

+ chip5541 on December 15th, 2008 at 3:06 pm said:

Uncharted is one of my 10 games of all time. Not only great gameplay but excellent and believable voice acting. Just from the trailers alone I can see they are keeping up the same tradition.

+ L on December 15th, 2008 at 3:06 pm said:

All in-game? Sweet!!! :)

+ OmegaArchetype on December 15th, 2008 at 3:08 pm said:

Hmmm….the video doesn’t seem to be up on the PSN Store. I checked everywhere for it (the GOWIII video was there.)

Anyways, can’t wait for Uncharted 2. First was killer and this one should be completely mind-blowing. Hope to see it sometime in 2009.

+ Daver on December 15th, 2008 at 3:29 pm said:

Uncharted 2 looks amazing i really loved the first one, one of my favorite games
I cant wait to hear more about it!

and about god of war 3.. maybe sony should have stayed quiet about it for a while before showing us some stuff. i know a lot of people who are disappointed by the video you have shown us.. anyway good games coming in 2009!

+ smokey_vols on December 15th, 2008 at 3:30 pm said:

In my opinion Uncharted 2 was more impressive than what was show of God of War 3. Both games are day one purchases for me though. I can’t wait to take control of Nathan again. Naughty Dog should drop the 2 and just call it Uncharted: Among Thieves.

+ acerazer1 on December 15th, 2008 at 3:37 pm said:

Man, I totally agree with smokey_vols, when I heard it was called Uncharted 2 I thought the same thing. I mean, it’s not Indiana Jones 2 or Indiana Jones 3, is it? The subtext speaks for itself.

+ tirminyl on December 15th, 2008 at 3:41 pm said:

Looks amazing. ND keep it up and make sure you guys are sharing that tech with the other 1st party studios :-)

+ Clixster on December 15th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

WOW that just blew me away, that looks simply amazing, and i glad to see that you kept the same guy as the voice of drake, simply superb.

+ estrafo on December 15th, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

all this sounds great, but i’m really waiting with despair for Final Fantasy XIII (sucks it’s now for the 360), i just hope they dont downgrade it just so it doesn’t have to outstand the crapy 360, in fact i hope they make it a 50 GB xP, also recently theres rummors of a next MGS and that it’s going to be for 360 cause of a green power simbol…….. i really hope it aint so, i would feel ofended if more of our PS3 games go to them,,,, and in the end when games are on both consoles, we have to not outstand them, and be downgraded…. lame :( …….

+ psFAN4LIFE on December 15th, 2008 at 4:30 pm said:

This game is fantastic. If you have not tried uncharted people stop reading this and go buy it now. Story, controls, graphics “vivid colors” all fantastic. Here is a company that is not afraid to use color (i love it). I have played this game in english, spanish, french it’s like playing a different game. Oh for a really different feel play it on mirror mode :)
Hey jeff does Naughty Dog still have there bulldog? So cute. Well i hope they bring elena & victor just for show at least :). Keep up the Great work guys/gals.

+ psFAN4LIFE on December 15th, 2008 at 4:36 pm said:

@ inspace2020
forgot to say thanks for the pics. OHH that girl looks hot. you think bad girl or good girl :)

+ remanutd on December 15th, 2008 at 4:36 pm said:

very impressive indeed , looking forward to it and sony better show the real god of war 3 next year

+ Ps3clan.nl on December 15th, 2008 at 4:38 pm said:

Awesome trailer, the leaked screenshots are even better!

+ blindrocket on December 15th, 2008 at 4:44 pm said:

I was gonna say, this awesome trailer isn’t on the Store yet! At least we can grab it on Thursday. If you want it now, in high-def, it’s available at http://www.gamersyde.com though.

I must say, this trailer really stole the show IMO. Even better than the God of War 3 footage and everything else.

Nathan Drake and Uncharted is easily the best new properties to come out of this new generation.

SUCH a great character and a great avenue for unique adventures and gameplay experiences.

I am also loving the gameplay additions I have read about that will be in Uncharted 2. Better stealth gameplay and improved climbing mechanics. Oh yeah.

+ ftwrthtx on December 15th, 2008 at 5:11 pm said:

Why must we be made to wait so long?

+ MUGEN02 on December 15th, 2008 at 5:34 pm said:

The GoW 3 trailer was put up lastnight but how this and other game trailers didn’t get put up shows once again the support of the PS store is very half ….. .

+ schwaa on December 15th, 2008 at 5:42 pm said:

To be honest, when this was announced 2 weeks ago, I was a little bummed that it wasn’t a new Jak game. After seeing the trailer and the leaked GI screens, Jak can wait. No, really, this is all in-game. I cannot wait.

This + Gow3 + Killzone 2 + inFamous + Heavy Rain + FF Versus 13 + Fat Princess + Flower + (fingers crossed) New Twisted Metal = Absolute and total PS3 dominance of 2009 hands down. The haters will be silenced, the xbots will explode, and even the media will bow in reverence.

+ striplay on December 15th, 2008 at 5:43 pm said:

I thought they were going to actually give some sort of information about Uncharted 2.

In stead we saw a weak teaser.

Commercial hype made me believe we would actually receive a peek into the development.

Such a disappointment… too often this happens.

+ Captain Fury on December 15th, 2008 at 5:51 pm said:

best new IP of this gen

+ striplay on December 15th, 2008 at 5:53 pm said:

PS…

The new size of our images is terrible.

They should be larger not smaller!
Why would the dev team make such a tiny personal image display?

I can barely see it and I have 20-15 vision.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

+ Savage on December 15th, 2008 at 6:02 pm said:

@38 aka estrafo – the previous MGS was also on XBox so it may well end up on the 360. As long as the PS3 got it first and that it was built for the PS3 is all that matters. Much better than getting a crappy 360 port 6-9 months late.

I agree with other posters. If you make the stories independent of each other you don’t need to label the series with number. I like the idea of just calling it Uncharted : Among Thieves. As long as you keep the Uncharted prefix people will know it is part of the series that can be enjoyed in any order :).

PAGE 1 2