Driveclub

LBP Premium Level Packs + Costume Packs (Metal Gear Solid Edition) – on the PS Store 12/23

Mark Valledor's Avatar + Posted by Mark Valledor on Dec 19, 2008 // Marketing Manager, SCEA

Just when you thought we were done with the Holiday surprises (Free Santa, Festive Level Pack, LBC1 winners, etc, etc) we have one more announcement up our sleeve…and it’s a dozy. Over the past few weeks, we’ve been biting our tongues, and finally we can reveal our latest offering (originally ‘somewhat’ announced at this years TGS) – Metal Gear Solid packs – Available 12/23 on the PlayStation Store.

LBP_MGS_Costume_Group LBP_MGS_Level_Kit

Metal Gear Solid Premium Costume Pack
You’ve seen Solid Snake, but have you seen the rest of the cast? (well, ok…maybe you have… ) Meryl Silverburgh, Screaming Mantis & Raiden each have their own costumes from the MGS world. Get all 4 characters for the price of 3 at $5.99 on the PS Store, or pick your favorite and buy it individually for $1.99.

solid_snake_white mgs_raiden_render_complete meryl_render_a001

Metal Gear Solid Premium Level Pack
Now that you know about our Festive Level Pack, which fills your Pop-it tool with a ton of “Create” materials, objects and stickers, our Premium Level Packs introduce that and a whole lot more. So without further adeu…lets talk about what’s inside the MGS Level Pack (and this time we mean “Level” pack…)

First off, you’ll get a new Sackboy costume… the Gurlokovich Soldier.

gurlokovich_soldier_render_001

Plus tons of new stickers (72), materials (12), decorations (10), and objects (18).

targetguy rex

ottaconface snakedoodle ocelot

The objects are especially cool, why you ask…well, in addition to these ‘create’ materials, our Premium Level Packs include new Story Levels and they’re filled these new objects. That’s because, Media Molecule teamed with Konami to create 5 new Story Levels and 1 new Challenge Level for you to enjoy.

[78 3

Now we couldn’t just build a level using the basic tools above, we need music, new sound effects, and new elements to provide a true MGS experience. So you’re getting these in the Level Pack, as well:

• 3 new background music tracks
  • 1 new interactive music track
  • 1 new Metal Gear Solid themed ‘sound object’
  • New Plasma Ball ‘danger element’
  • New Laser Sight ‘gadget’
  • New functioning Searchlight lamp – for those special ‘exclamation mark’ moments
  • …and finally, the piece de resistance…THE PAINTINATOR (and Paint Switch)

26 56

Now, not only will you be able to run, jump, push, pull, swing, etc, etc in LBP, but now you’ll be able to splatter anything that comes between you and the end of any level. Once you equip the Paintinator, you can send sacksized paintballs flying by mashing on the R1 button and using the right stick to aim. Few things about flying paintballs, when Sackboys are hit with them, it feels like a very weak slap. You can also shoot ‘Brains’ from a safe distance and progress thru levels much easier. In addition to the Paintinator, we’re introducing a Paint Switch, so you can attach it to any object and set it to destruct after being splattered with enough paint. Here’s a video to show you the Metal Gear Solid Level Pack in action…

Add to all that, there are 12 new Trophies to unlock (and if you pay attention to the story at all, we’re not a big fan of Trophy Levels).

So now you see why we’ve been biting our tongue on this announcement. Tons of new gameplay, tons of new game-changing objects, and tons of create materials…all for just $5.99 (shesh…did that just sound like an infomercial?). We absolutely can’t wait to see what the community does with this pack and the new types of levels this will bring to the Share Planet.

And wait…there’s more…
So, here’s one of the coolest things about this pack…you guys know LBP is all about PLAY, CREATE & SHARE – well, you’ll be glad to know that this Level Pack holds true to that. For those who buy the Premium Level Pack, you get everything above (and hopefully a lot of fun in-between). If you don’t buy it, you’ll still be able to enjoy the MGS pack goodness. Here’s how:

• Non-MGS Level Pack owners can PLAY the MGS Story Levels by joining a “host” who owns the pack and play the levels online together. Now you won’t be able to keep any objects, but you can have tons of fun just PLAYing.
  • MGS Level Pack owners will be able to CREATE levels with any of these items (including the Paintinator) and SHARE them online for everyone to play.

Again, we’re very excited to present this MGS Level Pack to you as a taste of how LBP can and will continue to evolve over time. With the support of our community, whether it’s creating new and awesome levels on the Share Planet or buying our Costumes and Level Packs, we’ll continue to provide more LBP goodness down the road in 2009.

So check back on the PS Store on 12/23 and treat yourself to a present this holiday season :)

Happy Holidays and have a Happy New Year

+ Neil on December 19th, 2008 at 11:15 am said:

This is so awesome. I cannot wait! I love the new levels to play through and the new item!

+ Mort on December 19th, 2008 at 11:16 am said:

WOW! I am completely blown away! I will buy this on day 1. This is an amazing deal, and I can only hope there will be more themed packs to come; Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchett & Clank anyone?

I am sure there must have been a temptation to price this pack higher, but I must say that credit should go to Sony, Konami and Media Molecule for keeping the price point low. This much quality at this price is sure to sell, and sets the bench mark for future themed DLC.

Nobody (well almost nobody) minds paying for quality DLC at a good value. I hope you make a ton of money off of LBP. It would be well deserved.

Viva LBP!!!

+ JordanBlack68 on December 19th, 2008 at 11:23 am said:

Wow I didn’t notice at the end, looks like bioshock. Maybe thats the next pack!

+ JohnnyMoses on December 19th, 2008 at 11:53 am said:

I’m impressed. Sold!

+ InfinitiProject on December 19th, 2008 at 11:59 am said:

Just take all my money I work for why don’t you MM!? LOL

:D :D :D

Bring on the addon contents!

+ RudeAnimat0r on December 19th, 2008 at 12:05 pm said:

With all the Holiday PSN packs and stuff to buy, when can we get a GIFTING ability on PSN? The WiiStore even has one, there are a number of small DLC packs and stuff I’d consider buying my friends for Christmas but the store still lacks this feature.

I’d absolutely get the MGS Level pack for some friends.

+ KBlade on December 19th, 2008 at 12:23 pm said:

Consider this bought. This is really the thing I was hoping would happen but you’ve certainly surpassed those expectations.

I really hope more games will have this treatment. Great work on letting everyone play this regardless if they bought the pack or not (though limited useage).

Can we have this trailer on the PSN ASAP please?

+ kaoskrayola on December 19th, 2008 at 12:43 pm said:

11.99 is very expensive, but I think this is the first DLC that might be worth it. More of this MM.

+ Divine on December 19th, 2008 at 1:02 pm said:

WOW, you guys have really outdone yourelves. I hope this is a sign of what’s in store for future updates. A KZ2 pack maybe.

+ PSWii2008 on December 19th, 2008 at 1:19 pm said:

This is hands-down the best DLC on LBP yet! All the stuff in the level pack just seems like a bargain at $5.99!

Also, why do you guys hate trophy levels? You do fun stuff, and you get tangible-like awards! What’s wrong with that?

Man, that’s pretty insane that we get all kinds of DLC in one 7-day week! You should do level packs for other games, like R&C, Uncharted, Resistance, and Motorstorm! Maybe not God of War since people who pre-ordered from GameStop got that level. Anyway, keep it up!

+ Kamahl on December 19th, 2008 at 1:32 pm said:

a lot of content for $6 :D

considering that 4 costumes cost the same, this is a good package. im getting it

+ remanutd on December 19th, 2008 at 1:33 pm said:

at pswii2008 , what god of war lvl you talking about? the only thing we got was a god of war custome pack , god of war lvl NEEDS to come and yes i want lvls from all the games you mentioned already plus warhawk lol

+ perrier on December 19th, 2008 at 1:38 pm said:

my money is now your money, but serious bonus points is the music is

Love Theme
Encounter

and either of these two as the interactive
Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 2 Theme

+ LeonBlade on December 19th, 2008 at 1:46 pm said:

HOLY CRAP!!!!

THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY!!!!

I CANT WAIT FOR THIS!!!!
THAT GEARS OF WAR 2 UPDATE CAN SUCK ON THIS BECAUSE NOTHING BEATS THIS!!!

Sorry for caps I’m just so excited!!!! :D

+ LeonBlade on December 19th, 2008 at 1:51 pm said:

Wait a minute…

The Sephiroth and Old Snake were shown off at once right…

And now Old Snake has brought upon this…

DOES THAT MEAN WE GET FF VII STUFF TOO??!?!?!?
OMG THAT WOULD BE LIKE THE BEST EVER!!!

+ Conrad Max on December 19th, 2008 at 1:52 pm said:

JordanBlack68 | December 19th, 2008 at 11:23 am
“Wow I didn’t notice at the end, looks like bioshock. Maybe thats the next pack!”

Uh, maybe it’s a Metal Gear?

+ LeonBlade on December 19th, 2008 at 1:59 pm said:

@Conrad Max

LOL yeah, Conrad is right…
It’s the Mantis one…

I’m pretty sure that Final Fantasy VII is next… which means I will s*** myself… no joke…

+ Snack_Eeter on December 19th, 2008 at 2:01 pm said:

Oh and, I think you meant to say “Gurlukovich” hehee

+ Conrad Max on December 19th, 2008 at 2:03 pm said:

Imagine a metal Gear shooting giant paintballs at you. I may get a little messy on that level.

+ Spartancloud on December 19th, 2008 at 2:04 pm said:

@Conrad Max:
Ya it’s actually Screaming Mantis at the end and not a metal gear or anything to do with Bioshock

+ chazdude43 on December 19th, 2008 at 2:07 pm said:

I still dont see how the three bubble things in ur profile area work… they dont change… EVER!! and i cant get the Third gold trophy for playing 150 community levels, tagging 50 and hearting 10..

How do u do it…

is it sumthin to do with the bubble things?

Im really confused cos i played 300 community levels in one night, hearted about 76 and tagged all of them so i dont understand… Plz help soon

+ chazdude43 on December 19th, 2008 at 2:10 pm said:

BTW, im in the UK so also want to know if this will b in the thursday update AFTER christmas or later today…

Please fix the servers as well… it is poiling my playing as i cant go online with anyone on my friends list…

even my next door neighbour…

Please fix them soon

+ chazdude43 on December 19th, 2008 at 2:16 pm said:

U could make a new year pack with fireworks effects/ objects that draw the camera p and watch the explosion, a countdown timer switch, some new material etc…

u could also at some point add a water effect because adding blue gas to glass ooks crappy and real water that kills u would b cooler…

or even just a dangerous object that tool more like water…

U could even add an ice tool that freezes u on contact and u have to shake the controller to get free…

All this stuff is irrelevant to MGS but would still be really cool…

Please at some point do all these things

+ -k2d2t2- on December 19th, 2008 at 2:39 pm said:

SOMEONE SAID THERE WAS TO BE NEW TROPHIES FOR THIS, IS THAT TRUE!!!!!!!!!????????????

+ -k2d2t2- on December 19th, 2008 at 2:47 pm said:

never mind THANK YOU!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

+ EternityInBlack on December 19th, 2008 at 3:11 pm said:

Did Konami (i.e. Kojima Productions) make the levels or was it Media Molecule? That’d be cool to know (also, I had a bet with a friend about this haha)

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on December 19th, 2008 at 9:48 pm said:

The levels were made by Mm, but some input/inspiration by Konami (obviously)

+ AranhaHunter on December 19th, 2008 at 3:17 pm said:

You know what would be good and smart? Releasing MGS1 as a PSOne classics the same week or the week after…..but it’ll never happen, we just got 2(good) PSOne classics, we won’t get another one for at least 6-8 months…..

+ tirminyl on December 19th, 2008 at 3:45 pm said:

Simply Amazing! This will be mine day -4. Yes, that means I already own it!

+ someguy17 on December 19th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

Very nice! Glad to see sony spoiling their lbp crowd im very happy.

+ Keysersoze10033 on December 19th, 2008 at 4:14 pm said:

Wow, just, woooow! I don’t understand how this game didn’t sell like hotcakes, but I am glad I have it. I passed on the SF costumes, but I will be buying this amazing DLC. The paint gun is off the hook, I can’t wait to try it.

+ Treequil on December 19th, 2008 at 6:02 pm said:

Aaaaaaah… Need to save money…

+ perrier on December 19th, 2008 at 6:19 pm said:

which raises the question of whether the Paintinator is a player enhancement like the jetpack, or a hand-slot equipment like the mini sackboy

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on December 19th, 2008 at 9:53 pm said:

Your jetpack analogy is a perfect one. Note – you can\’t equip the jetpack and paintinator at the same time.

+ saintfighteraqua on December 19th, 2008 at 7:40 pm said:

Best DLC Ever!!!!!

+ SeventhAxes on December 19th, 2008 at 8:00 pm said:

Wow, this is amazing. I’m sorry, but this just made my day! Finally, something so cheap that I can buy it for myself for Christmas.

+ stanace on December 19th, 2008 at 9:58 pm said:

Wowow
The paintinator and the paint switch was EXACTLY what was needed!

+ Daver on December 20th, 2008 at 5:20 am said:

This is gonna be amazing! Thanks!

+ urbandevill on December 20th, 2008 at 5:29 am said:

(Can’t wait to have your amazing work, really great news)
Wouaw… mmm.. just a few question :

- Is there will be a big Pack : With costume pack+Level Pack?
- Is the 23/12 will be the same date for Europe (i’m in Paris)
- Is the “green killing blob” a Ligth effect?
or Dangerous effect (like fire, electricity and smoke)
- Is it really true or i’m dreaming about all that ;)

I have more other question / improvement, about LBP,
can you orward this to dev? :
- Can it be possible to Add Tabs when wrhiting text in game, to make the level on different language (Fr, En, etc)
if the creator is abble to translate his text in several language. it would be cool.
- Can it be possible to have more “pastel color” Light colors? ( and also for Killing smoke)
- Is it will possible to make “teleports” with the “are they all here” option? it would be cool.
- I love your game, and just want to SAY IT LOUD !! :)

Thks for all… and for answer if you have time :)
Chris from Paris

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on December 20th, 2008 at 5:03 pm said:

- Is there will be a big Pack : With costume pack+Level Pack?
    < <>>

- Is the 23/12 will be the same date for Europe (i’m in Paris)
    < <>>

- Is the “green killing blob” a Ligth effect?
    or Dangerous effect (like fire, electricity and smoke)
    < <

- Is it really true or i’m dreaming about all that ;)
    <<>>

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on December 20th, 2008 at 5:05 pm said:

(dang….my answers didn\’t show up)

1. sorry, not quite yet

2. Not sure when EU PS Stores will refresh next week, but it will be next week for sure (I think it will be on the 24th, but don\’t quote me on that.)

3. Think of it as a new dangerous object (like spikes)

4. You\’re definitely not dreaming

+ vakaloka on December 20th, 2008 at 6:35 am said:

but will you must pay for the pack of 5 levels?

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on December 20th, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

To play by yourself and get all the objects in the level (stickers, materials, etc), you must buy the Level Pack. But even if you don\’t buy it, you\’ll be able to play, if someone who owns the pack hosts/invites you to play.

+ daniel3ub on December 20th, 2008 at 6:48 am said:

Please let people in countries that do not have a PSN Store buy things! It’s a shame that we in Brazil, for example, cannot buy anything from PSN Store. What is the internet for, again? I own a PS3, I’ve paid a lot of money for it, and I cannot BUY things from the Store. Sony, please, let me BUY! (I feel like an idiot asking this…)

+ mistan on December 20th, 2008 at 7:00 am said:

For the “Searchlight Function”:
Will we be able to use that as a gun/turret?
Could we make it so that the searchlight follows sackboy and fires at him?

Just wondering. I really want a “follow sackboy” fuction that works the same way as the floodlight ,in the introduction level of lbp, does.

+ Dew87 on December 20th, 2008 at 12:23 pm said:

Where can I buy myself sackboy/sackgirl plushies?? Goddamit Sony/MM, work on it!!

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on December 20th, 2008 at 5:11 pm said:

Still in the works, trying to make them perfect…but no need to get all wound up.

+ Iambilly on December 20th, 2008 at 2:25 pm said:

Perfection.
Absolute perfection.

+ dynamicsketch on December 20th, 2008 at 2:28 pm said:

I heard that the Old Snake and Sephiroth costumes were going to be part of packs. Let’s see if there are plans for a Final Fantasy pack.

I’m looking forward to making some use out of the Paintinator and the story levels by Kojima.

+ Krzr93 on December 20th, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

I have never bought anything from PSN but maybe I will buy this

+ Skater_Ricky on December 20th, 2008 at 4:59 pm said:

That Level is going to be pertty Sweet 8)

Thanks for the Great Laughs! :D

+ twilightgun on December 20th, 2008 at 8:22 pm said:

This looks so awesome and the Paintinator looks amazing. Keep up the good work I can’t wait to see what you come up with in 2009.

+ kcp on December 20th, 2008 at 8:46 pm said:

this is absolutely amazing! Love lil big planet. This is a great addition to an already awesome game! Gona head to the store to get a PSN card now. haha

+ slicecom on December 20th, 2008 at 11:11 pm said:

Now THIS is DLC I can see myself paying for! Keep up the awesome work Mm!

+ DarkDevil-06 on December 21st, 2008 at 4:04 am said:

Why is SONY EUROPE so …..?!

I want PSN CARDS here! -.-

I cant buy this staff without PSN CARDS,

SONY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

NO PSN CARDS in Europe
NO NEW HOME Staff in Europe

SONY EUROPE is this gen the Biggest Fail -.-

+ techp13 on December 21st, 2008 at 5:37 am said:

this is sweet!!! i got the trophies up on my trophie list early cool!!! first i was like wat ther hech then i looked up here and now i cant wait till this level pack comes out splatenator here i come!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK SONY!!!!!! p.s. i love home too but u need to add more stuff like new rooms and stuff!!!!