PS4 - Destiny

Enter MLG’s Resistance 2 Tournament, Over $50K in Prizes

Bryan Intihar's Avatar + Posted by Bryan Intihar on Dec 23, 2008 // Community Manager, Insomniac Games

Do you dominate Resistance 2 on a daily basis? Do your friends bow down and beg to be on your team? Do the paparazzi camp outside your house just waiting to snap the perfect photo of a gaming legend? If so (well, maybe not the last one), then check this out: Sony is teaming up with the folks at Major League Gaming for the first-ever Resistance 2 tournament.

And it’s not all about bragging rights—this event features over $50,000 in prizes. From December 22 to February 28, 2009, four-player teams will compete in a ladder-style competition, and then the top 64 teams will battle it out in a single-elimination bracketed tournament from March 1 through March 31. The top team will take home $9,000.

So if you’re interested in testing your skills against the very best Resistance 2 players, sign up here. Good luck, everyone—look for continued coverage of the tourney on MyResistance.net, including interviews with some of the participants.

37 Comments

+ THATPSPGUY on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:15 am said:

I wish I were in America so that I could sign up. Also Jeff, Can I be on your Street Fighter Team. You know the contest that’s coming up in January? The one between Sony, Capcon and Microsoft. Please pick me as I am an Ace in that game.

I’d really enter this one but like I said, don’t live in America and that’s a shame that we Canadian’s don’t get to participate. Hopefully that’ll change in the coming years.

Also the SIGNUP link sends you to a blog post for Valentine’s Day past. Just thought you’d like to know.

+ IceCold on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:20 am said:

Man i need to hurry and play this game, I’m so behind.

+ blkant on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:31 am said:

Id be interested if you guys hadn’t ruined the resistance series. R:FoM forever!

+ acerazer1 on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:32 am said:

whoa nice, too bad I am awful at resistance online, I would really have to have four of the best teammates in the world to have a chance.

+ babybluedb on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:33 am said:

i know i got this game for christmas come on dec. 25

+ nYc_FrEeWiLL_82 on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:34 am said:

wow a tournament ..this should be interesting or frustrating..because i knoe for a fact its not challenging! this game sucks online. the co-op is not so bad..but the competitive is soooo retarded! ive never..ever played a game where i had to shoot a guy or a chimera in the HEAD 5 times with rifle to KILL them! let alone the life bar regenerates so if they get away on the 4th head shot..don’t think the 5th one would finish them. honestly the game is fun and looks great but to make a tournament out of it..its jus ridiculous.but hey GOOD LUCK for those who try..im sure its jus for the money cuz there wont be anything else but fustration during the matches..:p

+ Xulap on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:35 am said:

I’m always shy for these kind of tournaments.
I’ve never entered one in my life!

I’m afraid I’d win and get a phone call or an interview dating me to some place… And be surrounded by a crowd… Haha, I’m watching too much movies.

I’ll see if I enter.
Thanks for the heads up!

+ Nathan Hale on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:37 am said:

Oh snap, I better start shooting again.

+ TheHater on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:46 am said:

When are we getting a patch to fix the spawn points in Resistance 2, and the match making?

+ TheHater on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:48 am said:

Oh and I forgot. You need to fix the grenades. It almost never tell me when any type of grenade is next to me. I am not the only one that experience this problem

+ Elsa43 on December 23rd, 2008 at 10:01 am said:

you know… given all the problems they’ve had with previous contests and tournaments (most notably the Warhawk tourney), you might have mentioned in big bold print that this tournament is only open to AMERICAN RESIDENTS OVER 17 YEARS OF AGE.

People tend to get all excited when reading this type of blog… only to read the fine print later. Clarity sure tends to prevent a lot of disappointment later.

+ Superottowa on December 23rd, 2008 at 10:13 am said:

Resistance 2 is a huge improvement from the first. Nice job isom

+ Ghostm on December 23rd, 2008 at 10:23 am said:

Wow, that’s pretty impressive!

+ FlareSkull on December 23rd, 2008 at 10:24 am said:

lol paparazzi outside your house sadly i cant get resistance 2 yet but when I do oh man people will get hurt anyway my psn is the same as my username and I have LBP. If you have LBP please heart me and my god of war level and i have a suggestion can MM make a LBChallange for the best god of war levels if you have read this please reply and consider

+ NewYork214 on December 23rd, 2008 at 10:48 am said:

i would join this but i suck when im actually competeing. no clue why.

+ Rampge76 on December 23rd, 2008 at 10:49 am said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but this blog post says from “December 22nd” today is the 23rd, is it too late?

+ zookey on December 23rd, 2008 at 10:50 am said:

LOL I have a lot of love for Insomniac–but my R2 skills have taken a SERIOUS hit since LBP came out–and, at best, I was probably middle of the pack anyways LOL!

+ yunier91 on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:12 am said:

WOW.

+ Keith K on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:13 am said:

But I suck…

+ mywhitenoise on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:18 am said:

i finally decided to play Co-op on Sunday, it’s hell of fun!

I think i can get a platinum trophy on this game, if it wasnt for that stupid “achieve 10,000 kills” one. Seriously, how long would that take, 100 hours? Should have made it 5,000.

+ FlareSkull on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:21 am said:

I agree with the first comment but im in europe and i coldnt compete in any of the lbchallenges which sucks because that crow would realy look nice on my sackboys head so i hope something is done about that and also make some free stuff for playstaion home because id realy like to pimp my crib atleas the summer house ake it free because in the beta vids on youtube its free but when the rest of us get it we dont have any thing and lastly when will we get 3D trophies and the hall of fame

+ FlareSkull on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:24 am said:

i meant to say crown on my sackboys head and i diddnt finish my sentence when will they come out

+ BZKlint on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:53 am said:

Link goes to PlayStation Store update page. o.0

+ FlareSkull on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:59 am said:

The link takes you to feb playstation store update lol better get that fixed pronto

+ minestrone11 on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:59 am said:

@3, you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. Resistance 2 online is the best there is. I can’t wait for this tourney.

+ ftwrthtx on December 23rd, 2008 at 12:45 pm said:

Time for me to find some guys and start training.

+ bballuvrq on December 23rd, 2008 at 1:12 pm said:

wow 50k

+ Axecution on December 23rd, 2008 at 1:24 pm said:

@25

I actually agree with #3… Resistance 2′s online feels like call of duty 4 with a makeover… I didn’t like Call of Duty 4′s online at all. The first Resistance i always played games for the fun of it – not caring whether or not its ranked or un-ranked. Now, in Resistance 2, it seems like the only reason i ever play it is to rank up.

Single player was great though! Though… I still liked Fall of Man better there as well. What happened to the Vehicles? That being said, the boss fights in R2 were amazing. D:

Good job Insomniac. And thanks for the contest! You left us Canadians out, sure… but that’s happened once or twice before. (Cough-movie store-cough).

+ TheApprentice on December 23rd, 2008 at 1:31 pm said:

Love the tournament being hosted but it really sucks it not a worldwide one..
Sony please make it happen!!!

(Trinidad, Caribbean)

+ Chaos_Bladez on December 23rd, 2008 at 2:13 pm said:

I’m getting the game on Xmas, I’m stoked!

By the way, will there be any more Full Moon Shows this year? I want to hear your reaction to the R2 reviews and launch and stuff.

+ SpLinT on December 23rd, 2008 at 2:47 pm said:

I wish the game was more like R1. I never bought R2 but I regret it now. Oh well, maybe KZ2 or some other game in the future.

+ GuyaneseG on December 23rd, 2008 at 3:19 pm said:

Why not for Canadians?

Last time I checked this was a NORTH AMERICA blog.

+ OLy on December 23rd, 2008 at 4:17 pm said:

Finally, a chance to get my money back from buying this horrible game.

+ terryallentown on December 23rd, 2008 at 6:17 pm said:

after waiting two years for Resistance 2 i have to say what a let down. even my wife who played many hours on the first resistance we never want to play resistance 2. so to everybody who wishes they could play in the tournament it must be for the money and not the joy of the game. what a let down to see greed override fun . it won’t even come close to game of the year. i had to go purchase another game(Call of Duty, world at war) if you must know. and i know from the experience my wife and i have playing together it will compete for game of the year in my opinion. Resistance 2 only took me 5 days to pass maybe 10 hours of playing. i regret ever buying it. i would trade it in , but i don’t do that. so play in the tournament if you wish because i won’t waste my time bad enough i wasted my money. i rather play COD for fun then to play a game for money. seems to me that the only reason behind the tournament is to help drum up some sales. none of my online friends have it or want to buy it. so make your own choice. i recommend any other game and trust me i have a few. 40 if your wondering yes 40 ps3 games and a 200GB HHD in my system.this is my first post ever,but felt compelled after playing resistance 2.

+ bigdaddyjane on December 24th, 2008 at 5:50 am said:

I’m good at R2 but I don’t have a team.I will stick to just having fun online.

+ mza49311 on December 24th, 2008 at 10:16 am said:

Wow, nice to see an official tournament spring up like this! I’d love to play, but think maybe that I’d have a hard time fnding a team and considering that I don’t have R2 yet that makes it even harder (though it may be under the tree, who knows!) I am disappointed to read

@34 terryallentown | December 23rd, 2008 at 6:17 pm

My fiance and I are playing through R1 she offered to do so with me, which makes me think even more that R2 may be under the tree, (she played a run through before with me), and your comment scares me a little, am I up for a big disapppointment, will this shy my fiance from playing games with me, also I heard no offline coop, which was the whole reason I made my girl play through the first one with me the first time, i wanted to share the second with her. if this is true, I am sad.

+ Ron XD on December 31st, 2008 at 4:44 am said:

3# R U kidding R2 better then R FOM
what the hell is wrong with u!?