Uncharted 4

Happy Holidays from SCEA!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Dec 25, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Merry Christmas and 5th night of Hanukkah!

GiftBoyFront

It’s been a tremendous year for us here at on the SCEA Social Media team. For instance, I know that nearly 3 times as many of you will read this message than our last holiday wishes post. And like Tim Tebow after the Ole Miss game, I promise you that nobody will work harder for our fans than us in the next year. (Go Gators, btw)

Personally, I’m really excited to be rolling out new, fan-requested features for you blog readers in early January, and that’s just the start. We’ll be redoubling our Facebook and Twitter efforts, as well as introducing new ways for you to communicate with us.

But before we get to 09 – we rest. I hope that, like us, you’ll take the next week+ to relax, spend time with friends and family, and get caught up on the deluge of games that has washed over us in these past few months. I’ll consider it a success if I finish Dead Space, Mirror’s Edge, Fallout 3, and Prince of Persia by January 5th. Hopefully I’ll have time to leave the house.

Over the next week, we’re turning over the reins to Kristin Neirinckx, who’ll be sharing some tips for you new PS3 and PSP owners, as well as some of our favorite PSBlog contributors. They’ll be sharing their own holiday best wishes and top PlayStation picks of 2008.

To get things started, here are my Top 5 PlayStation faves from the year (a nearly impossible task!):

1. Valkyria Chronicles – This game took up my entire month of November, which is why I’m way behind on games like Fallout 3 and Call of Duty: World at War. Not that I minded. I’m a huge tactical RPG fan, from Shining Force to Fire Emblem to Final Fantasy Tactics – and this is my favorite from the genre… ever. An absolute must-play. At least download the demo – you won’t be disappointed.
  2. LittleBigPlanet – The game that keeps on giving (see MGS pack this week). I’ve been playing this since early code, and to see the game grow and polish over that time was an awesome experience. Also, I love slapping people.
  3. Rock Band/Rock Band 2 – the official game of Roommate Relations, we’ve played this for, no kidding, hundreds of hours. The tally: we’re on our 4th guitar, 2nd set of drums, and have downloaded nearly $200 worth of DLC.
  4. Metal Gear Solid 4 – reviewers seemed to be handing out “10s” like cheap candy this year – but MGS4 actually deserved it. Have any of you *not* played this?
  5. Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds/Open Tee 2 – I’ve been a huge fan of the series since Hot Shots Golf 2, and my love has not waned at all. No matter how many PSP games I bring on a plane, I still end up playing HSG the most.

I hate to leave anything out, because I was also in love with Patapon, Street Fighter II HD Remix, Burnout Paradise (still playing that one after all these months!), Devil May Cry 4, Resistance 2, MotorStorm Pacific Rift, and PixelJunk Monsters and Eden, but those are my Top 5. So what were your favorites?

See you in 2009!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ DARK_JAK_911 on December 25th, 2008 at 6:07 am said:

Merry Christmas PlayStation family! I hope everyone had a great Christmas this year. :)

+ sk8erdh36 on December 25th, 2008 at 6:18 am said:

Merry Christmas Jeff. My christmas wish would be to know what these features you speak of are. ;)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 25th, 2008 at 8:46 am said:

PSN sign-in, as we spoke about, and also we\’ve built that counter that shows you how often us authors reply to you. Chalk this up with a \”1\”.

And Merry Christmas.

+ enewtabie on December 25th, 2008 at 6:27 am said:

Valkryia is a great game,Jeff.

LBP
Resistance 2
Prince of Persia
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Wipeout HD are my favorites this year.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 25th, 2008 at 8:47 am said:

I just started Prince of Persia last night, and I like it already… I think this year, it\’s hard to create a definitive list until the year is over. Amiright?

+ Cody_L on December 25th, 2008 at 6:38 am said:

Merry Christmas Jeff and everyone at SCE.
Hmmm… my top five favorites would have to be
1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Rock Band 2/Rock Band
3. MGS4
4. Grand Theft Auto 4
5. Call of Duty 4

If you get space on your friends list Jeff you should add me, “Cody_L”. Maybe I’ll hit you up for a game of RB2 or LBP.

+ sonyman on December 25th, 2008 at 6:45 am said:

Merry Christmas

+ AdversaryofGod on December 25th, 2008 at 6:50 am said:

Happy Holidays Jeff and Everyone!!!
Here is my top 5 games of the year:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Little Big Planet
Dead Space
Resistance 2
Persona 4 (yeah a PS2 game)

And my top 5 of 2009 will be:

God of War 3
Resident Evil 5
Uncharted 2
Killzone 2
White Knight Chronicles
Or probably a Square Enix game
I’m looking foward for every other “Only on PlayStation 3″ games and anything thing that impress me (^_^)

Lets 2009 be the best year for Sony and Everyone!!!

+ WilliaM on December 25th, 2008 at 6:57 am said:

Merry Christmas Sony, greetings from Belgium ^^

+ ashtonFX on December 25th, 2008 at 6:58 am said:

it was a great year for PS2.

hopefully in 09 they cut the price to $/euro 299, so people can afford it and stop hating on it.

+ ashtonFX on December 25th, 2008 at 6:58 am said:

2. Little big planet
3. Motorstorm pacific rift
4. Resistance 2
5. Socom confrontation

+ Stoffinator on December 25th, 2008 at 7:14 am said:

Thanks Jeff!

And Happy Holidays to everyone at Sony and everyone who reads this blog.

+ Thorpe on December 25th, 2008 at 7:29 am said:

Happy Holidays SCEA and all other divisions!

+ TheHater on December 25th, 2008 at 7:39 am said:

My top five would have to be
5.Pixel Junk Eden.
4.SC4
3.Resistance 2
2.LBP
1. MGS4

Happy holidays everyone

+ LegendarySWE on December 25th, 2008 at 7:42 am said:

Happy Holidays SONY !

+ neo_bahamut on December 25th, 2008 at 7:47 am said:

Happy Holidays!

+ jazzyrider on December 25th, 2008 at 7:47 am said:

Happy Holidays Sony!

My top games in no particular order are LBP, MGS4, RB2, DeadSpace and BioShock.

+ OLy on December 25th, 2008 at 7:48 am said:

Merry Christmas everyone :)

+ eric1018 on December 25th, 2008 at 7:48 am said:

Happy Holidays everyone! :)

+ jqtaxpayer on December 25th, 2008 at 7:55 am said:

Hey, my name’s Jeff too! Merry Christmas to you, Jeff!

PS: lol, love the thinly veiled jab at GTA IV’s review scores you did there.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 25th, 2008 at 8:51 am said:

And I\’m also a taxpayer! Merry Christmas!

+ Koroshiya on December 25th, 2008 at 8:04 am said:

Great list! Valkyria Chronicles and Hot Shots Golf don’t get enough love from PS owners here in the west :( VC was my personal #1 game of 2008 as I am also a huge strategy RPG fan.

+ BZKlint on December 25th, 2008 at 8:26 am said:

Happy holidays/new year :)

Just gotta wait for my damn parents to wake up now so I can open some presents o.0

(R2, MGS4, CoD: WaW)

+ ftwrthtx on December 25th, 2008 at 8:27 am said:

Happy Holidays from my family to yours.

+ Gano on December 25th, 2008 at 8:29 am said:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS PEOPLE!!!!
Disgaea 3 how can people leave that out.
And Barry…..where the hell is barry!?

+ NBCraftsman on December 25th, 2008 at 8:36 am said:

“Aloha (&) Mele Kalikimaka…”

I truly hope everyone is getting some quality holiday gaming in. :)

My -5- favorites are:

1. Burnout Paradise
2. BioShock
3. MGS4
4. PAIN
5. PJ: eden

And, as a final aside:

Yellow Dog Linux v6.1 | Opera v9.63

Happy Holidays To All…..peace.
[-NBCraftsman]

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 25th, 2008 at 8:50 am said:

You\’re up awful early if you\’re in Hawaii! Or you\’re just quoting the song. Or both. Merry Xmas!

+ AwRy108 on December 25th, 2008 at 8:49 am said:

Merry Christmas Jeff! Glad to hear you fell in love with Valkryia Chronicles–it’s truly a gem of a game (I still can’t believe it came from SEGA, seeing as how they seem to butcher everything else they create as of late) that way too many people didn’t even play.

+ SpiritThief on December 25th, 2008 at 8:50 am said:

Resistance 2
LBP
MGS4
Disgaea 3
WipeOut HD

Outside of Sony,
GTA4
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Bioshock
Dead Space
Battlefield

Now I want for 09

“MELTY BLOOD ACTRESS AGAIN” for the PS3, I haven’t played Melty on a console yet only PC and with no blocks I’m looking forward to this import more then ever:D

+ koalafrappe on December 25th, 2008 at 8:59 am said:

Yes, go out and buy Valkyria Chronicles right now. Seriously, we need to support great games that change things up, or the developers will stop making them. It is such a shame that the game is selling so slowly, it really is a gem.

+ ikiru3385 on December 25th, 2008 at 9:12 am said:

Hey Jeff and the SCEA team,

Happy Holidays and enjoy your well-deserved time off! The PS Family had a great year and here’s to an even better 2009!

My Top 5 for ’08:

4.) Prince of Persia
5.) MGS4
6.) Wipeout HD
7.) Warhawk
8.) Super Star Dust
9.) Still playing that old Uncharted *since release lol
10.)…… wouldn’t you like to know ;)
…… looking forward to Killzone 2 honestly… and White Knight Chronicles. * need a US release on that…….. but once again… happy holidays!

+ IcEmAn_S6 on December 25th, 2008 at 9:18 am said:

Can’t wait for the new fan features!
My picks:
1. Dead Space
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Little Big Planet
4. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
5. Rock Band 2
I would love to have others in my list but I only put games I own! :D
2009 is gonna rock!!!!!!!! Have an awesome break Jeff and it is definitely time to finish all the uncompleted games of 08

+ estrafo on December 25th, 2008 at 9:19 am said:

For christmas i got a blinking red light on my PS3 :( , now i cant do anything, and i was making plans to buy more games :(

+ Fersis on December 25th, 2008 at 9:20 am said:

Hello Jeff, happy hollidays for you and all the hardworkers guy and gals at SCEA.
I hope you rest a little bit, next year is gonna be huge for us PS3 owners.

My pick would be :
1-LBP
2-MGS4
3-R2

Im fine with those 3 :D
Oh and im thinking on getting Valkyria so you i can add it to the list.

Again, happy hollidays.

+ Half_life000111 on December 25th, 2008 at 9:21 am said:

“For christmas i got a blinking red light on my PS3 , now i cant do anything, and i was making plans to buy more games”

…. I think that’s something you messed up with…. blinking red light means it needs to reboot…….

+ blkant on December 25th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

I completely agree with you on Valkyria Chronicles. I seriously cannot wait for the DLC :) I just hope they maybe/hopefully add online support.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 25th, 2008 at 10:36 am said:

I\’ll make sure to invite Chris from Sega to talk about any further updates/DLC that might be down the line.

+ tirminyl on December 25th, 2008 at 9:29 am said:

This year has been a great year for the PlayStation platforms in general. As I finished 2007 with great titles to play such as Heavenly Sword, Ratchet, and Uncharted I came into 2008 looking forward to MGS4, LBP, R2, WipEout HD, Pixel Junk series and more. We got a blog redesign, playstation site redesign, life w/ playstation, Home, Qore, Pulse, playstation store redesign, video store, psp store, just an amazing amount of things.

Keep up the great work as I look forward to the you guys have in store for us in 09. I also think you need more help on the blog team ;-)

Happy Holidays!

+ Paznos on December 25th, 2008 at 9:32 am said:

I agree with you about Valkyria Chronicles, it’s my personal GOTY that’s how much I enjoyed it and more PS3 owners need to pick it up!

+ Transient on December 25th, 2008 at 9:39 am said:

Merry Christmas everyone!!

+ NBCraftsman on December 25th, 2008 at 9:42 am said:

@ “Jeff Rubenstein”: Actually, I am on the “left-coast”. But, the gamer-girl/wife-unit is Hawai’ian, so I will be spending some off time from gaming in the islands. ::wink::

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 25th, 2008 at 10:36 am said:

That doesn\’t suck! We\’re going in March.

+ Gkar of Narn on December 25th, 2008 at 9:51 am said:

Hi Jeff! I’d like to wish you and the rest of the Sony Playstation family a Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, etc.

My favorite games on the PS3 are:
1) Resistance 2
2) Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
3) Warhawk – especially the last Booster Pack that had jet-packs.
4) Unreal Tournament 3
5) Timeshift

+ estrafo on December 25th, 2008 at 9:51 am said:

Half_life000111

i tried everything reboot, let it cool down, nothing changed, first there is a yellow light, then the PS3 turns of by itself and goes into a red blinking light….. i’m very sad to have to admit that this might be the equivalent to the 360′s RROD :(

+ yunier91 on December 25th, 2008 at 9:53 am said:

merry x-mas everyone :)

+ Aaron on December 25th, 2008 at 10:05 am said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS JEFF! :)

+ ODLdragonjoe on December 25th, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

Happy holidays to you too! I own both a 360 and a PS3, so I’ll stick with a PS3-centric top THREE:

1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Wipeout HD

And I’m really enjoying Lumines Supernova, but it’s a bit early to give it a top x number of games status. Hope to see my PS3 investment pay off in the next year with games like inFamous, Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, and God of War 3 (and possibly Resident Evil 5, I still can’t decide if I want it on the 360 or the PS3…)!

+ Delriach on December 25th, 2008 at 10:29 am said:

Your top 5 is pretty good Jeff. I just got Prince of Persia yesterday, but I haven’t played it yet since I’m going through a series of Game Data and Update installs because I got a new 320GB HDD :)

Currently installing the newest updates for Hot Shots Golf (great game too). We need sackboy in HSG. Not just as an in-game character, but as an online costume to walk around the lobbies in.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 25th, 2008 at 10:39 am said:

Interesting idea there. I mean, Kratos was in there, right?

And that\’s one of my side projects for the break as well – swapping out the hard drive. With all the downloadable games/movies/DLC – 60 GB might not be enough.

+ PaNDaSHaT on December 25th, 2008 at 10:31 am said:

Merry Christmas PS blog and readers! Here’s my top 5 of 08:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Resistance 2
3. Little Big Planet
4. Valkryia Chronicles (All I want for Christmas is trophy support)
5. Mirror’s Edge (Platinum was so challenging but felt so good once I got it)

+ joel on December 25th, 2008 at 10:32 am said:

nice, this is my top 5:

1. METAL GEAR SOLID 4

2. LITTLE BIG PLANET

3. FALLOUT 3

4. RESISTANCE 2

5. GTA IV lol jk its not even in my top 10 games and i have 12 games..

THE REAL number 5

5. Pixel junk Eden

+ Jenovah on December 25th, 2008 at 10:32 am said:

Merry Xmas! Can’t wait to try and chip away at my backlog. I also wanna play Kz1, and KZ Liberation again before KZ2 hits :)

+ starblinky01 on December 25th, 2008 at 10:41 am said:

Merry Christmas Jeff :) -Get everything you wanted for Christmas?

eeh, top 5 lists are always so hard, here’s mine.

5. PixelJunk Eden (absolutely love this game, I have 100% trophies, I hope they make a sequel or DLC)

4. BattleField: BadCompany (so underrated, I completely leveled up my Online guy, the single player could be better but this game really sucked up a lot of my time, it’s so amazingly fun and I wish more people would buy it)

3. LBP (the one thing I looked forward to most on Christmas was getting a PS card so I can download the new MGS content)

2. COD4 (been playing this like crazy lately, just got to Presige mode)

1. MSG4 (amazing, started it up again on hardest mode, I think I might take it down a mode since its really freaking hard, but this game tends to get easier as it progresses, at least for me it does)

PAGE 1 2 3