Until Dawn

Dec 26

Best of 2008: Post-Christmas Edition

Chris Morell's Avatar Posted by Chris Morell on Dec 26, 2008 // Senior Social Media Specialist

LBP Xmas

Happy Black Friday #2! If you didn’t get what you wanted for the holidays (I sure did), you’re probably out hunting for deals on this crazy day o’ shopping.

I swear I say this every December, but how great was this year for games? I didn’t think 2007 would top 2006, and it did, and then 2008 goes completely insane. Games are just getting so good, and with PSN and digital titles booming, there’s a seemingly endless amount of games to soak up more time than any of us probably have to spare.

The beginning of ’08 feels like ages ago, but not all of this year’s greatest dropped this holiday season. Take Burnout Paradise, for example, which released in January and got the year off to a quick start, and proved just how much added value a PS3 title can have via downloadable content. Mass amounts of trophies, the addition of bikes and even rumors of planes for the near future…if only every game got as much TLC as Burnout. That’s why it easily makes my Fave Five Charles and Dwayne Wade best games of the year (Jeff laid down his top five yesterday).

And looking at ahead at ’09, things are only getting better on the PlayStation front. Here’s to a great 2009 and beyond!

1. LittleBigPlanet – Even though I ultimately invested more time into each of the other four titles on this list, LBP earns top honors for pure inventiveness and for bringing user-generated content to a whole new level. Few games put a smile on my face when I play them, but LBP continues to do it over and over again.
  2. Burnout Paradise – If I were to estimate, I’d say I “burned” over 100 hours in Paradise, and that’s not counting the time I’ve spent going back and earning trophies. Keep the DLC coming, Criterion. You’re setting a the bar high for post-launch goodies.
  3. Prince of Persia – A huge Prince of Persia fan, I thought I’d never see another Prince game worthy of Sands of Time. But what the new Prince of Persia lacks in story and voice acting (plus it has characters that look like something out of a trashy romance novel) it makes up for with insanely fun acrobatics and an inventive fighting engine.
  4. Call of Duty: World at War – I’m still shocked about World at War. With everyone thinking Treyarch didn’t have the talent or experience to pull off a proper follow-up to Modern Warfare, the studio delivered a Call of Duty game that is arguably the best ever…at least in terms of multiplayer.
  5. Crash Commando – It’s new, yeah, but so far this clever take on the 2D shooter genre is barrels of fun. I can’t wait for the great PSN experiences to come, like Flower and Fat Princess.

PAGE 1 2

+ jazzagers on December 26th, 2008 at 12:07 pm said:

Here’s to 09, the year I hopefully get a PS3!!!

+ GGCAN on December 26th, 2008 at 12:21 pm said:

Thanks Chris…yes 2008 was a very good year and I’m hoping 2009 will be even better for the PS3.

+ ur_not_ready on December 26th, 2008 at 12:21 pm said:

It was a great year, cant wait so see whats up next for Playstation in 09.

Heres to another amazing year.

*raises glass (of chocolate milk)*

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 26th, 2008 at 1:00 pm said:

Mmm, chocolatey milk…Warm it up though. I\’m stuck in the snow in Portland.

+ Chef Skillz on December 26th, 2008 at 12:28 pm said:

2. Sev- Killzone 2
3. Nathan Drake- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
4. Cole- Infamous
5. Heihachi Mishima- Tekken 6

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on December 26th, 2008 at 12:29 pm said:

No Capcom Digital titles on that list Chris??? BAH HUMBUG!

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 26th, 2008 at 12:36 pm said:

Haha! John, SSFII might have made it if Seth would stop constantly beating us down ;-)

+ Spudster on December 26th, 2008 at 12:51 pm said:

Hooray for sackboy! In Littlebigplanet im working on a Street fighter level :3

+ tompain on December 26th, 2008 at 12:54 pm said:

Crash Commando > MGS4?

Fair enough….

+ sir.pavlovic on December 26th, 2008 at 1:01 pm said:

I would take COD, CC and POP out of the list and include R2, Socom and Dead Space…

And no, COD5 didn’t top COD4… well just my opinion

+ KazeEternal on December 26th, 2008 at 1:06 pm said:

Chris please tell me you’re kidding about 2006 and 2007’s games being any good on PSP and PS3…. 2008 pretty much helpd make up for how bad 2006 and 2007 was. However PSP has a long way to go and anything is better than what we’ve had to put up with. PS3 needs to make everything as good as 2008 if not better.

+ stuna1 on December 26th, 2008 at 1:24 pm said:

IMO it does not matter how many games we list, the PS3 is the true winner here Chris, it has met and, exceeded my expectation, so 2009 is just topping on the cake. I hope you and all at Sony had a wonderful Christmas, and have a Happy New Year. Also we’re expecting great works from Sony .

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 26th, 2008 at 3:55 pm said:

Agreed! The best year yet for PS3. Thanks, and here\’s to an even better \’09.

+ PirateThom on December 26th, 2008 at 1:34 pm said:

So, Chris? Radiohead fan? You’re alright in my book then!

My top games of the year:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Fallout 3
4. Prince of Persia
5. Wipeout HD

Honourable mentions: Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Dead Space and Burnout Paradise

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 26th, 2008 at 3:53 pm said:

Dead Space was so very close to making my list.

+ stuna1 on December 26th, 2008 at 1:59 pm said:

So you’re a Laker’s fan?

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 26th, 2008 at 3:54 pm said:

Purple and gold for life…one of the few good things about growing up in LA.

+ VXbinaca on December 26th, 2008 at 2:33 pm said:

I just got LBP yesterday and I wholeheartedly agree it’s the best game of the year on the PS3.

Though I would have included Dead Space and especially Battlefield: Bad Company. I was disappointed to see they didn’t make the list.

It’s all about the trophies and good gameplay for me adn thanks to you mentioning Burnout, I’m going to download it right now. I like racking up trophies and I have so much work ahead of me when it comes to that.

Happy New Year everyone.

+ Clinton514 on December 26th, 2008 at 3:53 pm said:

I think I spent more money than I intended to on the PSN titles. No regrets, because as mentioned…titles like SFIIHD, Crash Commandos and wipEoutHD were reason enough to download!

Not to mention the enthusiasm behind trophy updates *nudge*John/Capcom*nudge*. ;)

All of the other MGS4, LBP and the Killzone 2 beta…all memorable moments from this past year. Here’s to another great and safe year for everyone in the PlayStation community. :)

+ mountain_duwe on December 26th, 2008 at 4:20 pm said:

no MGS4 on this list? lulz

+ joel on December 26th, 2008 at 4:21 pm said:

I changed my top 5…

5. Pixel junk Eden

+ Tassar on December 26th, 2008 at 4:31 pm said:

No one thought Sony would be able to go 3/3 after what almost every gamer considered the greatest console ever, the PS2.

The PS3 now easily taken over that title.

* No console ever has had such an ENORMOUS graphics power advantage over its competing consoles like the PS3

* Free online play with dedicated servers for lagfree gaming on all major titles. No being forced to pay 50 dollars for laggy P2P networking like on the 360

* The most dominant first party lineup of developers ever. Sony now has 20 first party developers. That’s double what Nintendo has with 10 and Microsoft’s joke first party lineup of 3

* And of course the amazing Home service that has become a gigantic success. The Home servers are absolutely packed with gamers every single day at every single hour having an incredible time meeting other gamers

And it is just going to keep getting even more amazing. Huge numbers of Home Spaces will be coming online, the greatest FPS in history Killzone 2, White Knight Story, inFamous, Gran Turismo, and Heavy Rain just to name a few of the AAA titles on the way.

+ pudgenet on December 26th, 2008 at 4:43 pm said:

Even going back to the playoffs, the Lakers are still losing 4 games to 3 to Boston. Just sayin’.

+ DrBingogh on December 26th, 2008 at 4:46 pm said:

I agree 2008 was an awesome year to own a PS3. I wish more people had one. My top 5 are:

1. GTA IV – come on this was a masterpiece and could quite possibly be my fav game all time. The emotional weight added in the story was as impressive as the graphics and controls. Super game.

2. LBP – I haven’t even touched the level creator but this game is just plain fun. MY wife likes it to so big ups for that!

3. Burnout Paradise – DLC. Nuff said.

4. Pain – My #1 “Wife says ‘I’ll be ready in 15 minutes’ what can I play real quick” Game. Tons of fun. Also, my wife likes it.

5. Resistance 2 – Awesome game. Love me some Insomniac.

As for 2009 I am giddy like a school girl over Infamous. I also am very much looking forward to the new Ratchet & Clank game and God of War 3.

I hope my PSP becomes relevant again with some new games and more PS1 titles. No offense intended but I’m wearing out my DS right now and the PSP is a paper weight.

+ droopysp on December 26th, 2008 at 4:51 pm said:

It really was a joyful year the ps3, i have an idea for LBP, i think sony should also make it available as a downloadable game, like wat was done with Burnout…wat do u guys think

+ pudgenet on December 26th, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

Burnout Paradise is my top game, easy. I have completed 101% on both bike and car, and have logged well over 100 hours offline and 40 online.

I wish the promised MIDI import support for Guitar Hero World Tour actually worked. Apart from that, GHWT and RB2 are lots of fun.

echochrome is a nice fun game, as is fl0w. PAIN’s DLC is overpriced, and I never got deep into many of the game modes, but it’s a fun game.

Played through both R&C ToD and QfB this year. Lots of fun, can’t wait until next version.

GT 5 Prologue is great, but … a prologue. Argh. Need more. Speaking of which, I wish Burnout Paradise worked better with my GT steering wheel.

Playing LBP and The Force Unleashed right now. After those I plan to get back to GTA IV, which was a lot of fun (I played through the first “chapter” in a borrowed copy).

+ enewtabie on December 26th, 2008 at 2:40 pm said:

Can we get Killzone Liberation on PSN as a download? Just saying it would be nice.

+ edward_moffet on December 26th, 2008 at 2:56 pm said:

those are good titles but no mention of valkyria chronicles, motorstorm 2, resistance 2, or metal gear solid 4 if you haven’t played these then SHAME ON YOU :P

+ BZKlint on December 26th, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

NO! Celtics should have won :(

Atleast we can agree that CoD: WaW is awesome ;)

Made it to round 17 on the Nazi Zombie level :D

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 26th, 2008 at 3:52 pm said:

Nice! As for the Celts, we\’ll see you in the Finals again ;-)

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 26th, 2008 at 3:52 pm said:

Nice! As for the Celts, we\’ll see you in the Finals again ;-)

+ sweetsourporker8 on December 26th, 2008 at 3:39 pm said:

hopefully Crash Team Racing will be added to the PS store in 09. Its my favorite Ps1 game

+ misterslim on December 26th, 2008 at 3:51 pm said:

Portland’s not a bad place to be stuck for Christmas. Well, it’s hilarious if you don’t need to travel anywhere.

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 26th, 2008 at 3:57 pm said:

Man, I love Portland, but I can\’t even believe how much snow fell here. The city literally came to a halt!

+ BZKlint on December 26th, 2008 at 4:42 pm said:

Maybe we can have a PSB sports pool :P

+ EvoAnubis on December 26th, 2008 at 5:09 pm said:

LOL @ John…..you CAN’T be that bored.

Since you’re here, what’s up with that Capcom TPS involving jetpacks?

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on December 26th, 2008 at 10:27 pm said:

Dark Void is gonna be the shizz.

+ vasher52 on December 27th, 2008 at 7:15 am said:

Nice Radiohead icon. Best show iv’e seen. Ps. Cant wait for PS 09 Uncharted,Killzone, gonna need to start saving money since last year got ambushed my so many titles

+ ross_k on December 27th, 2008 at 7:20 am said:

John, when will Age of Booty be getting a trophy patch in europe? and is it supposed to have a platinum trophy?

Merry Christmas everyone

+ NewYork214 on December 27th, 2008 at 7:59 am said:

@john tell capcom to take resident evil back to real zombies. after watching RE:degeneration i really wanted to play a real zombie RE. the one scene in the movie after the plane crashes and the zombies come out looked just like the start of a real RE. it shows the zombies pop out and the camera zooms out to claire like it always did in the original trilogy.

+ Sitic on December 27th, 2008 at 8:35 am said:

I’m surprised that some games were/weren’t on that list. But 2008 was definitely a great year for PS3 owners!

My top 5:
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
SOCOM: Confrontation
Resistance 2
Grand Theft Auto IV

+ Gump_ on December 27th, 2008 at 10:01 am said:

Please give us XMB in-game chat….then the PS3 will be complete:)

+ sneakattack28 on December 27th, 2008 at 10:53 am said:

Nice, but i think it would be really awesome if there was a killzone 2 bundle. Now that would be a really good marketing decision. Either way i’m buying another ps3 i just hope there would be a killzone 2 bundle.

+ BP Garage on December 27th, 2008 at 11:18 am said:

+ Omnifarious on December 27th, 2008 at 11:20 am said:

I whole-heatedly agree with Crash Commando being in the top 5. I actually bought the game simply because the announcer guy in the trailer was so awesome, and ended up being blown away by an incredibly fun game. Nice pick.

+ space_fox00 on December 27th, 2008 at 11:32 am said:

Good list. My top 5:

1-Battlefield: Bad Company
3-Prince of Persia
4-RockBand 2
5-Resistance 2

+ BStreakX on December 27th, 2008 at 1:09 pm said:

Although 2008 gave me two exclusive games I adore – LittleBigPlanet and Valkria Chronicles – I feel disappointed and frustrated overall. The PS3 is not living up to the PS2 for me. I loved the PS2, it delivered some of my favorite games of all time including Sly Cooper and SSX Tricky. But the PS3 seems to have eschewed those games to focus almost exclusively on hardcore-only online multiplayer games. The PS3 is more Xbox than PS2, and I don’t understand why, because the PS2 far outsold the Xbox. As a loyal PS2 fan, I feel like Sony has abandoned me to chase after Xbox fans.

+ bigd2510 on December 27th, 2008 at 8:52 pm said:

Happy holidays Chris and everyone at Sony, and to you as well John. My top 5 goes:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Bioshock (it was new to me)
4. Resistance 2
5. LittleBigPlanet

P.S. I hate to be “that guy”, but you misspelled Dwyane Wade. Just so ya know.

+ theownerz on December 27th, 2008 at 9:49 pm said:

my top5

1.Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Little Big planet
3. GTA4
4. NBA 2K9
5. mega man 9

+ Onna76_NL on December 28th, 2008 at 7:11 am said:

Naaaah Santa left me in the cold :-(

Despite people call it 2008 not to be the year of the PS3, I find it “bull”. The PS3 may not have sold what everyone expected, about the games we hardly had anything to complain about.

Metal Gear Solid 4 made me become a Metal Gear Fan, Burnout Paradise made me become a Race fan and played that game over 200 hours and still play it from time to time. I never thought I would play a Bioshock, nor a Devil May Cry 4! I became addictive to Wipeout HD and became Nathan Drake my number 1 hero, kicking Mario and Link entirely off the list. I know… Uncharted is from 2007, but due to sickness I wasn’t able to play the game anytime sooner than around March 2008 >>

+ Onna76_NL on December 28th, 2008 at 7:12 am said:

Valkyria Chronicles filled my JRPG hunger as one of the most original strategy games I’ve seen so far on a console. LittleBigPlanet was and still is the most fun online game I’ve ever played, simply because I don’t play online much often. LBP makes you want to play online to help people out with their missing price bubbles and just to have a total blast with those ridiculous looking sack people. PSN finally came totally alive with amazing titles like Pixeljunk Eden, Wipeout, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Echochrone, Penny Arcade Adventures etc. Well I can go on like that, as to me 2008 was sure a great year for the PS3 except…

Also the Blu Ray lens of my PS3 died on me in 2008 within 8 months of use. I hope my 80GB will live longer than that. Digital distribution can’t come anytime sooner if you ask me, so to save my Blu Ray lens and for sending in my PS3 and get a second hand in return, despite I have 5 years of warranty :-( >>

+ Onna76_NL on December 28th, 2008 at 7:12 am said:

I hope 2009 will be better for the PS3 in general. I hope a price drop will be capable without Sony losing too much money. Once that happens, its MS ass kicking time! I hope WKC turns out to be better than what the Japanese press and gamers are saying, plus I hope we’ll see more JRPG’s on the PS3 and PS classics.

Plus I hope SCEA will continue to listen to their gamers and SCEE starts listening to their gamers for once and cough up those ridiculous PSN tickets, for all my complaining European friends!

I wish everyone at Sony a very, happy new year and I hope 2009 will be the year in where everyone will shut up for once and for all about the PS3 being doomed, about Sony being doomed. Its big, its black and its beautiful and its coming in 2009 to kick everyone their asses! YAHOO!!

+ easyaspie00 on December 28th, 2008 at 6:31 pm said:

Hmm, enough is enough, I shall download Crash Commando!!! I’ve heard nothing but great reactions from the game, it shall be mine!!!

+ easyaspie00 on December 28th, 2008 at 6:34 pm said:

Oh, and my top 5:

1. Valkyria Chronicles
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Metal Gear Solid 4
4. Prince of Persia
5. Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle-Cars (yes!! its a great game!!)

And my most anticipated of ’09:

1. inFamous
2. Fat Princess
3. Ratchet & Clank Sequel
4. Tekken 6
5. DC Universe Online

Yeah :)

+ slicecom on December 28th, 2008 at 10:35 pm said:

I don’t know what COD:WAW you played, but I have many friends who bought it and already traded it in. I’ve beat the single player and got to level 44 online, and it is nowhere near as good as COD4 in my opinion. Comparing it to Infinity Ward’s masterpiece: COD4:MW, is a travesty. I can’t wait for Infinity Ward’s COD MW2 next year.

Congrats to Treyarch for not putting out a complete dud, but please don’t compare it to COD4.

+ tygster22 on December 29th, 2008 at 6:50 am said:

Chris!, Merry belated christmas, yeah, Lakers :P, and by the way, why isn’t MGS4 on your list!!!!, hehehe :P

+ EvoAnubis on December 26th, 2008 at 5:19 pm said:

Anyway, I did my top 5 of ’08 already, but let’s look forward to 2009 hits.

Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer – I am so VERY excited about this game. This truly is an interactive movie.

Resident Evil 5 – Don’t care what John says; this ain’t survival horror. Not anymore. However, this’ll be a great action horror game, particularly given the co-op.

inFamous – It’s Sucker Punch. Can’t imagine why I’d have to say more.

Killzone 2 – Watch the game footage. It speaks for itself.

God of War III – It’s God of War freaking three!!!!

Uncharted 2 – Follow up to easily my favorite 1st year PS3 game.

Fat Princess – The game amuses me.

Trine – XBLA has Braid, we have this. Yeah, it’s that good.

So, what’re you guys looking forward to?

+ C-h-a-o-s on December 26th, 2008 at 5:49 pm said:

Once Killzone 2 is released and after Guerilla takes a break I think they should start working on another Killzone title for the PSP.

2008 was a pretty goos year a few let downs from first party titles but what can you do, 2009 is shaping up to be a great year hopefully the games come through.

+ stennex on December 26th, 2008 at 6:16 pm said:

Metal Gear Solid 4 is No.1

This game saved the PS3. It was well done and took advantage of the PS3s cells ability to crunch out millions of instructions that would lead to different effects occurring in the game.

PAGE 1 2