Happy Holidays PlayStation Family! Jeff was kind enough to let me write to you one last time before the end of the year. Here’s my belated Christmas card from the Capcom family to yours:
Before I go on, I want to list my top 5 favorite PSN remakes. Since Jeff and Chris both left out Capcom’s titles on their lists [Editor's note: I *did* mention Street Fighter II HD Remix], I was going to omit any SCEA game, but two wrongs don’t make a right. So here goes:
- Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix – The game whose acronym is longer than most game titles. Critically acclaimed with record breaking sales means that Street Fighter is officially back!
- Wipeout HD – A graphic update to an already great game? Now you’re talking my language. Noobs, take 2 Dramamine tablets and quit your whining. This is a remake done right and shows me what can be possible in the digital space.
- Bionic Commando Rearmed – blowing up a dictator’s head was never so fun, and so vivid. M rated digital games FTW!
- Prince of Persia Classic – I’m a sucker for platformers and the original redefined the genre. Playing this is like going to your high school reunion and seeing that the prom queen got even hotter. But this time around, I get to date the prom queen. (Uh, that analogy just got a little obscure and creepy, sorry.)
- Mega Man 9 – Graphics? We don’t need no stinkin’ graphics. Give me pixel perfect jumps, an epic music score, and an 8-bit art style and I’m happier than Marty McFly going 88. Mega Man 9 proves you don’t need a time machine to enjoy classic style gameplay.
You know, looking back at my past blogs, I don’t think I ever formally introduced myself. I think I just right up and went, “Hey PS Fans… Rocketmen!”, and you were like, “WTF? Who is this guy?” Well, my name is John Diamonon, and I’m a PSBlogger reply-aholic. I also oversee the marketing of Capcom’s digital titles. In my past lives, I was a game tester for both Sega and SCEA and a former graphic designer. I get joy from doing things out of the ordinary and you can expect more fan driven programs from me in the future.
From the launch of our Capcom Store, to the release of 8 digital games on the PSN, 2008 was a pivotal year for us as we move closer to our goal in becoming the #1 publisher in this space. A personal highlight of mine this year was producing the Street Fighter Underground Remix exclusive to PSN. It made sense since the store launched a new music area. I love the idea of integrating different forms of media with gaming. Wait ‘til you hear the next album…
So what’s in store for 09? Well, I’m working with Grace and Ro at SCEA to come up with some innovative ways we can offer games and programs on the PlayStation Store. You can expect to see a whole slew of downloadable PSP and PSone titles from our vault next year.
I’m also excited by one of our upcoming PSN games, FLOCK! which will arrive sometime early next year. I know, I know. I said January last time but you might have to wait just a little longer. We’re working on some cool features that I know you’ll enjoy. In-game XMB music anyone? In the meantime, you can download the winter demo from the next Qore issue (You don’t need to be a yearly subscriber this time). It may be a family fun-type game, but it has something for everyone. When you make sheep mate, pigs fart and cows turn into t-bone steaks, you’ll see what I’m talking about. You’ll discover that flocking sheep with a UFO is a strange yet satisfying activity. You can flock by yourself or invite someone over and flock together. It’s even better that way.
Oh yeah, there’s also a big (sentence deleted by Capcom and SCEA PR ninjas)….Can you believe it? Wow, how can you not be excited about that? I’m just glad that I was finally able to talk about it. It’s been a long time coming but I’m ecstatic that it’s actually going to happen.
So, in the spirit of giving, I want to do something special for my PS homies. Every 10 comments or questions (up to comment #250) will receive a free redemption code for one of Capcom’s digital titles. No double posting allowed prior to the winning number. That means if you post on comment #9 and comment #10, the person who posted comment #11 gets the code. You are only eligible for one code. If you already have the game I give you, be nice and give it to a friend.
To redeem your code, you must register on www.capcom-unity and PM me (www.capcom-unity.com/johndmoney) your comment number.
I’ll also be on Home now and again, so the first 15 people who come up to me, do the cabbage patch and say, “Please Hammer, don’t hurt ‘em!” will receive a free code.
Oh, and special shout outs to my “Home” boys and girls – Voozie, EvoAnubis, JBruno, cityof_trees, Asuka424, will_orz, Anubis006, grasshopper, quailbert, rockmanjoey, ROAM1304, theroness, erico316ecw, SicboyGS, bluetwilight, eaglefan129, OverlordSpike, julian2682 and XxBIgP123xX.
Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year!
PSN ID: HIERO9D3