Destiny The Taken King

Jan 06

New PlayStation.Blog Features On The Way

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 06, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Here at PlayStation.Blog, we’re always looking to improve your user experience. I’m happy to announce that two often-requested features are nearly ready to be implemented: PSN sign-in and author comment-reply indicator.

The latter will be activated tomorrow morning (Pacific time). Whenever one of our authors replies to one of your comments, it’ll be indicated below the post. Clicking on this link will take you to the first reply in the comments list. This feature has been asked for by many of you over the last year or so, and I’m glad that our dev team was able to accommodate.

comment replies

The other feature, PSN sign-in, is a significant and important step in the evolution of the PlayStation.Blog. Because we want all of you to continue to communicate via comments, we’re not launching the feature quite yet, but consider this your metaphorical 2-minute Warning. If you don’t already have a PSN ID – now’s the time. It’s free, it’s useful, and it not only will work here, but across, as well as on the PLAYSTATION 3 and PSP.

If, and we know this applies to the vast majority of you, you’ve already got a PSN ID, the migration process is super easy. When the time comes (we’ll let you know), you’ll you’ll be prompted to merge your blog account with your existing PSN ID. It’s just that easy, and you’ll only have to do it once.

We believe this will contribute to a better community experience, and better, more targeted discussion here on the Blog. It also lays the groundwork for further enhancement to your user experience. When we’re ready to roll-out the PSN sign-on we’ll post a mini-FAQ to cover any questions you might have.

We hope you enjoy these new features – please let us know what you think!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ XxBigP123xX on January 6th, 2009 at 9:41 pm said:

Hey Jeff, what’s your PSN id? Pretty sure it’s JeffPS but every time I try to add you you’re full. Make some space?

+ EddyxMob on January 6th, 2009 at 9:43 pm said:

Sweet Update Jeff but Im kinda wondering when might a feature like check my trophies and online message and reply to them on a computer might be avaible or have you guys of sony been thinkin about? hmmmmm lol

– EddyxMob –

+ Delriach on January 6th, 2009 at 9:47 pm said:

It would be really nice to see new avatars now. I got to recognize a lot of posters here because of their avatar and now… it’s going to be a little bit more difficult. Although it will be much better than the blank pic. I like my strawberry girl avatar…but man, I would do backflips into icecream to have my gravatar as my PSN avatar.

Anyway, question: Will we ever be able to reply to each other on the blog properly like you can? Or can we already do this and I just don’t know it?

+ Squall2600 on January 6th, 2009 at 9:56 pm said:

I have a dream of a day when two or more people can sign in on psn on the same ps3

+ PSguy17 on January 6th, 2009 at 10:01 pm said:

I love how you guys always deliver our requests :D

Thanks a lot.

+ Axecution on January 6th, 2009 at 10:02 pm said:

Commenting on something that isnt a complaint is something that – for some reason – i don’t do very often. :D I guess im just a negative person in the comments. ;)

But for this, ill take the time to say thanks. Seriously, this is pretty cool.

…This is weird. Alright, i must complain about avatars. Yeah… we… need more avatars. I guess. I dont really care, i just wanted to complain. :D
Oh, and those Socom trophies are too damn hard. Sad face.

+ Jersey-Gamer on January 6th, 2009 at 10:04 pm said:

Excellent news, Jeff! I’m definitely in favor of tighter integration between the PSN ID and the blog (and in general). This is a good step forward.

Stallone (#11) had some great suggestions as well. It would be great to be able to view trophy lists on the Web, or have the ability to go to and send messages to buddies who are logged into PSN. I’d like to see these features soon!

+ LinkDirector on January 6th, 2009 at 10:07 pm said:

Awesome…can’t wait till tomorrow!

+ squirrel448 on January 6th, 2009 at 10:15 pm said:

very excite!

+ TheHakku on January 6th, 2009 at 10:21 pm said:

I’m hoping once we can log in using our PSN IDs, that this will be the only way to log in and post comments. Progress is progress!

+ Aaron on January 6th, 2009 at 10:26 pm said:

Awesome news Jeff! What do you think of this idea for a future firmware update.

Being able to pre-load a game before its release like on Steam? I think that would be a awesome feature for the PSN :)

+ EvoAnubis on January 6th, 2009 at 10:32 pm said:

You can do the PSN log in tomorrow too for all I care. Bring it on; I’ve been waiting for this!

+ SolduNuts on January 6th, 2009 at 10:38 pm said:

Hey Jeff, very cool additions to the blog keep ’em coming. Throw my vote in for more avatars on the PS3. And please tell the person that makes them to be creative. Little colorful piles of clay (poo) do not count as cool avatars. Maybe even get some more that are related to the games that are out or are coming out exclusivly to the PS3.

Again give my props to the people who have made this blog what it is today.

+ superchriswebsite1 on January 6th, 2009 at 10:58 pm said:

hey can you guys add custom PSN avatars. PLEASE!

+ maluraq on January 6th, 2009 at 11:05 pm said:

@ghostm: having a PSN ID will be used for identifying you on Sony’s Playstation websites as well as in-game, obviously. Considering the other major company uses hotmail accounts (as though hotmail had anything to do with gaming), I don’t see what your problem is.

Also, I’ve never seen Sony claim to have sold the number of Playstation 3’s that they have user accounts. They seem to comment on units and accounts separately in every report I’ve seen.

Way to be negative year after year.

+ FlareSkull on January 6th, 2009 at 11:15 pm said:

well I have nothing to worry about because first my user name is the same as my psn id and second i don’t know how to change my avatar

+ plasma-phoenix on January 6th, 2009 at 11:17 pm said:

Hello Jeff,
This is my first time posting something here on PS Blog so I guess you could say I’ll remember this moment forever. Anywhoo, I am glad to hear that this place is upgrading since I was so impressed by it I signed up a couple of minutes ago. Keep up the genuine and witty blogging!

+ remanutd on January 6th, 2009 at 11:36 pm said:

this is a really good way to start the year Jeff , hope to see motorstorm pacific rift updates , info on the killzone2 collectors edition and more playstation home stuff real soon, thanks for all your hard work guys , pretty exciting times lie ahead for the ps3

+ katoh00 on January 6th, 2009 at 11:45 pm said:

I’m just continuing on from what Clinton514 has asked regarding an API.

If you guys do make one, could you please do it through OpenID and/or OAuth (web designer speak, lol) it would make life easier for both the one’s looking for this and the one’s making it.

Also you guys have got to get PSN accounts added to Google Friend Connect, it would be big.

+ blindrocket on January 7th, 2009 at 12:20 am said:

Nice upgrades!

Not really related, but any news when our portable IDs will get upgraded? They are painfully lacking at the moment.

How about having them include our Trophy info and stuff like latest games played?

Keep up the great work!

+ LoLskilled87 on January 7th, 2009 at 12:27 am said:

Awesome update….but when are we going to get better avatars for our PSN accounts…the once’s we have are for 5 year olds -_-

+ Fersis on January 7th, 2009 at 1:01 am said:

Awesome news, both features are useful.
Little question,only people with PSN IDs can post ?
The awesome thing is that my PSN ID is Fersis so i dont have problem at all. :D

+ the_icon on January 7th, 2009 at 1:31 am said:

Hey, can you guys please please release an update to the PS3 so that it doesn’t disconnect from the PSN while playing DVD or Blu-ray?

+ hijaker77 on January 7th, 2009 at 1:43 am said:

Hey Jeff tell the developers to include more avatars… pretty please!

+ Wolf26pack on January 7th, 2009 at 1:44 am said:

@ Jeff

I am glad to hear that the Blog is being updated and that you are integrating the PSN ID into the Blog.

Now with the PSN being integrated into everything from the PS3 to forums on & now the PS Blog we are going to see a whole lot of the same avatars appearing and this will be painfully obvious once you integrate it into the blog. So like so of the others I suggest a whole slew of new avatars. I’ve mentioned this in others posts but I think developers should use some of the Blu-ray disc space with some downloadable avatars from the games we purchase, or we could use our customized Sackboy/Sackgirls & or our Home avatars.

The other blog feature I would like to see is a way to edit our posts so when we make a mistake we can just edit it instead of having to re-post the correction.

Ohh and one last thing is for some reason if I try to post on the blog with AOL Desktop it acts like it is going to post but never does. I can only ever post using IE or Firefox. I hope you can fix that.

Thanks & keep the updates coming I wonder what will be in the next PS3 Firmware Update???

+ erico316 on January 7th, 2009 at 2:05 am said:

first thing how about taking it farer with the reply thing instead of just the first one how about showing all comment that was reply to making it easyer for to find them without having to sroll down pages of comments second thing how about giving us blog reader a chance to grade developers performances and feedback it be a way to show support to capcom and the very active blogger john d and at the same time disappointment with a developer who does not reply at all let me know what you think jeff and if every1 else these idea be vocal and back them

+ WHAT on January 7th, 2009 at 2:08 am said:

I just come here for entertainment. All this is going to do is kill the entertainment in the comments. So if I get banned here I get banned all over? Just like Mangled Eye Major’s site.

+ lifeRPGs on January 7th, 2009 at 2:29 am said:

Fantastic news. Thank you very much. Now if we could only access the Playstation.Blog directly through an application on the XMB. Cheers

+ Snack_Eeter on January 7th, 2009 at 2:49 am said:

Awesome! Hopefully we can send messages to our PSN friends from the computer to a PlayStation 3 :D

(secretly leaves the blog room & runs through a mine field while almost gets blowned off)

+ Stoffinator on January 7th, 2009 at 3:11 am said:

More PSN avatars would really be appreciated. Most that we have are not very interesting. Maybe more game related ones?

+ El-Suave on January 7th, 2009 at 3:18 am said:

Are you guys at SCEA working with the SCEE people on any unified community solutions for everybody worldwide? You’re lightyears ahead on that front.

+ Andronix on January 7th, 2009 at 3:51 am said:

Jeff, I’m really happy with the way this blog keeps growing and also how the PlayStation Network is improving, and I really, really like the the plans to integrate the blog with our PSN IDs! Just a a few more suggestions…

* PC to PS3 txt messaging (& vice versa).

* PS3 to PS3 voice messages

* live PSN ID/Trophy stats

* more avatar choices, maybe we could use our HOME avatar face?

+ TheHater on January 7th, 2009 at 4:17 am said:

Oh snap. You guys respond to my post. :)

+ rockleex on January 7th, 2009 at 4:20 am said:

The solution to limited PSN Avatars is very simple.

Make sure every game ships with 5-10 included PSN Avatars. They will get patched into your PS3 the moment you play the game.

They should also ship with Home add-on content too. Some unlocked once you pop in the game, some requiring certain objectives to be met before unlocking in Home.

1. It helps sells games because people want more customization.
2. It takes the work load off of Sony staff.

Any response to this? ^_^

+ nemo20000 on January 7th, 2009 at 4:41 am said:

Comment editing?

Ability to reply directly to a comment?

Automatically jump to first unread comment?

21st century anyone?

+ C-h-a-o-s on January 7th, 2009 at 4:51 am said:

I have a suggestion that’s not really related to the blog but related to the PC-PS3 messaging, PSP-PSN friends list. Countless people are asking for it over on the PS Blogs. More PSN featue for the little machine that could please.

+ LordVonPastor on January 7th, 2009 at 4:52 am said:

Nice to have an update to the blog, but what I want to know is when is In-Game XMB coming out?

Haha… Those were the days!

In saying that, custom playlists (or soundtracks) should be universal, usable at any time and not get disconnected when loading / switching between games (or at least they should pause and auto-resume).

The same idea should be applied to voice chat.

It was promised that Home would be an answer to some of these issues, yet Home doesn’t (yet) support custom playlists either.

To the PS3 firmware designers & developers:

It would be preferable to enable the custom playlist feature universally and force the user to manually disable BGM on a per game basis. If a game supports the API for custom playlists / voice chat then the user can make use of those features. Games should redirect the user to the XMB mini-player as opposed to having their own custom playlist features.

Sound channels (simultaneous samples) shouldn’t be an issue or barrier to accomplishing this?

+ neo_bahamut on January 7th, 2009 at 4:56 am said:

+ britton1207 on January 7th, 2009 at 5:03 am said:

Jeff – Is it ever going to be possible to change our PSN ID? I would gladly pay for it at this point, because I made mine in haste when i first got my PS3 and now I’m really tired of it. I understand you don’t want to make it too easy, because then people will just be jerks to people knowing they can change their names every week, but we need SOME form of name change service, even if it has a fee or you can only do it once a year or something.

+ KBlade on January 7th, 2009 at 5:15 am said:

Great new features, but please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please… can we have new avatars on the PS3… please!

I did ask nicely!

+ vanace on January 7th, 2009 at 5:21 am said:

thank you Jeff.

socomers are wating over 3 months to have a completed game. is it the 1.30 update close?
or we have to start thinking of playing with another game?.when do we got a good online experience with this game?.

please give regards to Seth Luissi.

do we have a gobal playstation store and playstation network account someday?

why do people have to make diferents account to have access to the playstation stores?.

if some game or content it is not compatible,
for any region only have to advert “this game it is only for scea or scee etc…….

thank you, regards and sorry.

+ Gunwing on January 7th, 2009 at 5:22 am said:

I have two questions:

1. Dose this mean the blog will now be readable, and allow us to post comments for the PSP system?

2. Is there any word on when the PSP website will be back online? The PS Store is nice but we currently have no way as of now to get news without coming here every day on our PCs before work.

+ SpookyJuice on January 7th, 2009 at 5:31 am said:

Hey, Jeff im very excited about these new Blog features, but i’ve got too requests if at all possible.

1. Integrate all new Blog Posts into the PlayStation 3’s information board seeing as it is a RSS feader.

2. Whats the news on the new features that where promised before the years end, back in an old blog post. We received part 1, but part 2 is still missing.

+ C-h-a-o-s on January 7th, 2009 at 5:34 am said:

While i’m on the subject of PSP’s why not have PSP trophies? We know the PSP library hasn’t been all that decent for a while why not try and revitalize that with trophies! Maybe that will attract sales and from there even more of the bigger developers which the PSP really lacks.

+ Enforcer_X on January 7th, 2009 at 5:36 am said:

Love the updates keep ’em coming!
I also saw a comment regarding the PSN API and I would have to say that would be totally sweet to have access to especially for flash development! Make it so!

Now if only I could find a job that payed me to trophy whore all day …

+ Andronix on January 7th, 2009 at 5:55 am said:

@100 britton 1207 PSNID Name Change

I think you make a great point. A lot of people I know want to change their PSN ID but dont want to lose the trophies they’ve accumulated. A name change service would be good, but put a high premium eg £10 or $15 dollars and people wont change unless they are serious. If someone does change their could be a public note kept on their Profile that says “formerly known as…” this could be displayed for 3 months.

I think Japanese PSN users can change their ID so it would be good in the West too.

Now get the voice messaging soon, and the PSN will be the absolute best online gaming service!

+ Daver on January 7th, 2009 at 6:13 am said:

can we expect a way to change our PSN id soon without creating a new one?

+ C-h-a-o-s on January 7th, 2009 at 6:14 am said:

Japanese can change their display name to anything they want even names already taken but I don’t think they can change their actual PSN ID.

+ GGCAN on January 7th, 2009 at 6:20 am said:

Thanks Jeff; some great features for sure.

+ StalkingSilence on January 7th, 2009 at 6:37 am said:

Jeff Rubenstein has replied to this post.

PAGE 1 2 3