PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

EA Announces EA Sports Complex for PlayStation Home

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Jan 08, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

From the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas comes big news for PlayStation Home. EA officially announced its plans to launch the EA Sports Complex in the Home Beta this spring, the first Home space from EA.

EA SPORTS Complex

EA and Sony have been hard at work to create a space that both casual and hardcore gamers will enjoy, allowing Home users to play exclusive new EA Sports multiplayer games, meet EA Sports fans, check leaderboards and watch EA Sports trailers. And better yet, EA is currently working with Sony with further PlayStation Home support, with announcements coming in the future.

For now, take a look at the EA Sports Complex trailer to whet your appetite, and stay tuned for more CES coverage today and throughout the week.

+ Stoffinator on January 8th, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

That space looks very cool.

+ Money1 on January 8th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

I’m into all games, rpgs, srpgs, fightin, action, adventure, shooter…you name it and this ladies and gentlemen is INSAANE

+ LouVelvet on January 8th, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

Although i really like poker, i never play unless something is actually being risked, because let’s face it — if there’s no risk then you’re not actually playing poker. I know that Home is not a gambling site, but what if EA and Sony were to create some form of virtual currency for the poker room which can be used, strictly within the Home community of course, to purchase clothes and furniture and whatnot. So let’s say $5 from your PSN account will buy you a certain number of chips to play with, and if you were to win that same number of chips from another player and then leave the poker room, you would now have $10 to spend in Home! And I do think that once you buy the chips in Home then that money (win or lose) must stay in Home (i.e. the “money” cannot be spent in the PS Store). I guarantee this kind of program would pull in a huge crowd, and would probably even be a selling point to some people who were thinking about buying a PS3. What do you think?

+ Renck on January 8th, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

@ digplans

I was about to get sick (so I can leave work earlier in order to check the new EA space), but suddenly I am just feeling ok.

However, I have the feeling that during spring I will be sick…..ha, ha!

+ VenomX on January 8th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

Very impressive. I can’t wait to use it! Good job EA!

+ gold5225 on January 8th, 2009 at 11:33 am said:

Holy Crap this is awesome how its all free mabye it can connect to your EA soprts game data too adn show off your stats in Madden, FIFA, Baseball, NBA, NHL, Fight night etc…

Think off all the cool possibilities it looks awesome. :)

+ iluvps3 on January 8th, 2009 at 11:41 am said:

Cool. Here’s to hoping they add game launching.

P.S. Why is it not showing how many red replies there are to a blog post?

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on January 8th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

Still working out some update issues, but should be up and running soon.

+ jazzyrider on January 8th, 2009 at 11:50 am said:

card games in EA arena?? doesn’t make sense but I’m there anyways.

I love playing Texas Hold ‘Em – hope thats there plus BlackJack and other card games!!

+ Jeigh on January 8th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

You know, I’ve had a grudge with EA for the longest time, but I’m finding it very hard to stay mad at them right now. Alright, EA. You win. I’m burying the hatchet and consider me on board. :D

+ Neil on January 8th, 2009 at 11:57 am said:

I’m not a sports gamer but I’ll be there.

+ Odd1 on January 8th, 2009 at 12:01 pm said:

Not even a huge sports fan but MAN this is awesome. I’d like to see XNA even try to do any thing remotely similar to this, it ain’t gonna happen.

+ NewYork214 on January 8th, 2009 at 12:02 pm said:

get blackjack in there. but cant wait to try this when i get back home. and they should of made a one of those basketball machines at arcades. have the 33 different ranges.

+ stennex on January 8th, 2009 at 12:03 pm said:

It’s about time Home started to really integrate more gaming companies. The future looks bright.

+ BitRunner303 on January 8th, 2009 at 12:03 pm said:

This space looks very awesome I know my brother would probably get a huge kick out of it he loves a lot of the EA Sports game (I do too but not as much as him).

I was hoping does EA have any plans for a space for their other non-sports games? (Dead Space, Mirror’s Edge, (…hopefully one day I’ll see a Command & Conquer game on PS3…), etc)

+ gmk218 on January 8th, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

KUDOS CANT WAIT

+ ftown on January 8th, 2009 at 12:13 pm said:

please add a boxing ring

+ ViolentPhlegm on January 8th, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Running Man in the trailer! Ha!

+ DaWolf619 on January 8th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

Hopefully we’ll get to play some 3on3 basketball, NBA Street style.
That would rule all other updates for me.

+ comethb on January 8th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

Nice, this looks good! This is the kind of stuff that will make Home the place we all want it to be! Thanks for the update!

+ blindrocket on January 8th, 2009 at 12:24 pm said:

I’m another that doesn’t play sports games, but this does look interesting.

We need the casinos and clubs from Sega’s YAKUZA games. Now that would be awesome. ;)

+ cronqvist on January 8th, 2009 at 12:24 pm said:

Can’t wait to try it out.

+ Slayer612 on January 8th, 2009 at 12:28 pm said:

INSANE! THATS MORE LIKE IT! SOMETHING ELSE TO LOOK FORWARD TO! I GIVE IT TO YOU GUYS, YOU DO KEEP YOU WORD!

+ THATPSPGUY on January 8th, 2009 at 12:29 pm said:

RACING MINI GAME EQUALS UNBRIDALED JOY!

Hey yo Jeff, care to get a scoop on the PS3 3D stuff that’s doing the rounds on the net today.

Very Nice Space, Electronic Arts.

+ JordanBlack68 on January 8th, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

Cool!

+ zookey on January 8th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

Moar 3D plz.

I thought I read late last year that SOny was going to go that route—so I thought it was a sure thing—are you guys for sure doing 3D or is it just a tech demo ATM? I say why not—show the world yet one more thing the PS3 can do!

+ remanutd on January 8th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

very impressive. now you need game launching , thank you for your hard work sony

+ smokey_vols on January 8th, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

The racing game looks bad lol, but the poker game will be good. Can we play a game of HORSE on the basketball court? Is there any way EA can implement the NBA Live controls for our HOME avatars for when we are at the basketball court? That would be so awsome.

+ enkscout on January 8th, 2009 at 12:42 pm said:

will this be joing canadian home at a later time ?? or at the same time ??

+ Vagrant_1 on January 8th, 2009 at 12:52 pm said:

Looks cool, keep the good stuff coming we need it

+ foolkiller79 on January 8th, 2009 at 12:54 pm said:

This looks good and all, but I have a concern that has been bothering me for a while and seeing the poker has increased that.

No big deal. It’s still the PS3 and I can play HVB with strangers. Except, HVB is a paid-for game (Profit). Home bowling is free (Loss?).

Now I see poker. I like High Stakes Poker with its online and PS Eye support. I suck, but I like the game. Again, it is paid for and Home poker will likely be free.

Are the Home mini-games going to risk preventing new sales (thus profits) of similar themed games on PlayStation Store? Why pay $10 for HVB or High Stakes, when PS1-gameplay versions are free in Home?

+ donjuan on January 8th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

This is sweet. I’m glad to see people are hard at work. I can’t wait to jump into that space.

+ CrimsonFox13 on January 8th, 2009 at 1:27 pm said:

Haha, nice. Can’t wait for this, more and more support for Home ftw!

+ Jedi_webslinger on January 8th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

Awesome. Nothing more to add.

+ Trieloth on January 8th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

The future is so bright, gotta wear shades.

+ ASmellyOgre on January 8th, 2009 at 1:40 pm said:

And we see Home grow more suddenly than we ever anticipated…

+ Daver on January 8th, 2009 at 1:43 pm said:

Woah,great thing cant wait to try it

+ PSWii_Gamer on January 8th, 2009 at 1:43 pm said:

Nice! Not much for Sports games, but the mini-games look great. Hope there’s other card games, like regular five-card poker and blackjack, not just Texas/Hold-’Em-style.

Still waiting for that 1080p support sometime, guys! Doesn’t need to be soon, but please say you’re working on it…!

+ NinjasOwn on January 8th, 2009 at 1:46 pm said:

This looks so awesome wow. I’m really looking forward to seeing the upcoming future Home Spaces you have planned.

+ jimmyhoffa82 on January 8th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

awesome wonder if the games will be free? with EA im sure they wont be, still pretty cool

+ jimmyhoffa82 on January 8th, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

@ 80

“Could Home hurt PSN games? Pre-Home I was attempting to get a High Velocity Bowling league together. I had some support and even European guys saying they wanted in when they got their patch (???). Then Home came out. I do not like the Flash-style bowling game where it is all just about timing on a power meter. I have more control in High Velocity Bowling and it is more in-depth with oil patterns, individual strength, spin rates, etc. It is online, has voice chat, and even custom music. But nearly everyone else seemed hooked on bowling in Home.”

i thought the same thing, why DL a poker game off of PSN when i can play it for free in HOME? still though i like these add-ons, this is what will make me wonder home

+ DOPE_MAN_1 on January 8th, 2009 at 2:26 pm said:

THIS JONAS_ACE AND I WAS JUS KICKED OFF OF PLAYSTATION HOME AND WOULD JUS LIKE TO IM SORRY IF I WAS RUDE OR MEAN IN ANY WAY I WAS JUST JOKEING AND I WAS TRYIN TO LIGHTEN THE MOOD SORRY TO OFFEND U

TO THE MOD MANAGER OF HOME

+ bkbooth on January 8th, 2009 at 2:31 pm said:

Awesome, FIFA occupies most of my gaming time, hopefully with game launching straight from in Home it should be even better. Plus the mini-games look great.

+ Tyger on January 8th, 2009 at 2:51 pm said:

This is something very encouraging. I’m glad to see this is something Sony is fully engaged in. If only the Home web site could reflect this. I visit it occasionally and doesn’t appear to be getting much love on Sony’s end.

Anyhow, my suggestion is Sony start making exhibit rooms that are the same as the booths at these events. Then those of us who can’t go can hit up home, check out these “virtual booths” and see videos and whatnot from the event. A nice way to tie in Home with Sony and make the rest of us fans “feel the love” =)

That’s just my two cents.

+ DudeFX on January 8th, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

Awesome, my new Home away from Home lol

+ mza49311 on January 8th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

Awesome , just saw the video I like to see some third party support!

+ _GoDLiKeBR_ on January 8th, 2009 at 3:43 pm said:

Good job Sony, this is what we want to see in Home. I hope the Red Bull Space is just the beginning about what we can expect for the future!

+ Nsho on January 8th, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

will there be a game launching support for FIFA 09 when this comes out?

+ hacka14 on January 8th, 2009 at 4:02 pm said:

More good news. I can’t wait.

+ ARog34 on January 8th, 2009 at 4:12 pm said:

AW3SOME news… I have a lot more respect for EA.

Great, but hopefully free that is? All those games are worth money though, but I’m really interested in the ‘Leaderboard’. I’d love to see current sports news, and updated scores from within ‘Home’.

I know this is pushing it… but an ESPN space integrated within the world of ‘Home’ would ROCK!

+ masteratt on January 8th, 2009 at 4:44 pm said:

ACE!

Great to see devs getting excited and making trailers for HOME spaces, great exposure.