PS4-Watch_Dogs

CES 2009: Inside EA’s upcoming Home Sports Complex

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 09, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

You’ve seen the trailer, now get your guided tour of EA Sports’ Home space from the CES show floor. EA Senior Producer Robert Burnett shows off the digs, talks mini-games, stat progression, and exclusive poker bracelets for you high rollers out there. Hey, we’re in Vegas!

The EA Sports Complex will move into PlayStation Home this Spring. We’ll have EA back on the blog to let you know more when when the release is imminent.

128 Comments

+ Beau on January 9th, 2009 at 4:21 pm said:

This is awesome!!!!! If more things like this keep getting added to HOME, it will be the sickest thing ever!

+ lifeRPGs on January 9th, 2009 at 4:27 pm said:

Fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. You’ve got a gem right there Sony…bringing EA within Home certainly was the best step to make. Although i am not a sport fan myself, i am confident i’ll be spending dozens of hours in the EA complex. Rock on baby! 2009 couldn’t start better. Hell, even Jeff took the suit out of the closet :)

+ tirminyl on January 9th, 2009 at 4:50 pm said:

My hat is off to EA. The space looks great, is huge and lots of visible area for the racing and golf portion. Love that you can upgrade your race car to get better times. Love that there are reward systems for all the games. This will definitely keep users coming back!

+ NathanJ on January 9th, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

Yeah, the amount of stuff the are implementing is insane. Multiple games inside the EA Space, a local currency, upgrades for games to work your way through, the normal streaming promo videos and screenshots of upcoming games.

I’m surprised all of this is coming out so soon. And that this gigantic Space is just the first of multiple EA Spaces in the pipeline.

Still doesn’t make up for the fact that EA is perfectly happy to put out downgraded multiplatform games on the PS3 so they can use the same game data on the wimpy 360 graphics hardware and 7GB DVDs.

+ ftown on January 9th, 2009 at 5:20 pm said:

real nice, keep up the good work!

+ ARog34 on January 9th, 2009 at 5:43 pm said:

Wow… this is exactly what ‘Home’ is all about. Thank you EA for getting involved! You don’t know how much this means to us, as PS3 owners, and soon to be- back to being EA fans! Thank YOU!!!

This is what ‘Home’ needs the rest of this year and for its lifetime… devoted game developers and companies- building up their own unique ‘systems’ within the ‘Home’ world.

Oh, and I had to laugh at the realism- did any1 see that fire hydrant?!? LOLz…!

+ Ghostm on January 9th, 2009 at 6:07 pm said:

@ 26

Sixaxis is dead buddy. Didn’t you get the memo? LOL

@ 31

EA doesn’t have anything to do with PS HOME game launching. That’s a PS HOME feature Sony needs to fine tune. There was one point doing the close beta I was able to launch into any game. The feature was remove when the beta went public.

+ Clinton514 on January 9th, 2009 at 6:10 pm said:

Big respect to EA for this.

They may not have been the first 3rd party to launch on Home but this is how a Home Space should be done. I can’t wait to jump in there.

+ diablo103 on January 9th, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

not until march????? any news on any other spaces to come before the ea sports complex to hold us over?

+ P_tear_griffin on January 9th, 2009 at 6:21 pm said:

Funny, this actually sounds more exciting than the bowling alley already available in HOME. Sony, make that %*%* a 2-story game space with a few more pool games, dart games, and arcade games.

+ jazzyrider on January 9th, 2009 at 6:42 pm said:

Nice – hope the other studios notice how EA is doing this right! Would love to see other companies step in and give the consumers what we’ve been looking for.

+ terryallentown on January 9th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

LOOKS GREAT! HOPE IT’S AS FUN AS IT LOOKS. HOW ABOUT ADDING SOME KIND OF NASCAR RACING . GO-KARTS SOMETHING BESIDES INDY CARS. I’LL BE WAITING. I THINK MINI-GOLF WOULD BE COOL TOO.

+ Money1 on January 9th, 2009 at 6:59 pm said:

@57

six axis isn’t dead…just isn’t used that much by devs…they need to make more games to implement it…gladly insomniac still did to shake off fire…they need to make atleast a psn game like HVB

good job sony and hats off to ea

+ enewtabie on January 9th, 2009 at 7:08 pm said:

Impressive…Most impressive
Wonder if you get trophies inside Home for some of the activities?

+ Renck on January 9th, 2009 at 7:24 pm said:

This looks really good! Hopefully the release date will be March-09 and not delayed. I can’t wait.

+ gold5225 on January 9th, 2009 at 8:03 pm said:

This is great news i cant wait till this is implemented i can only imagine after this Activision and Ubisoft Following then THQ and SOny will have like a Sony Games published space itll be sick i want Pepsi in Home Too!

+ Lord Raoh on January 9th, 2009 at 8:37 pm said:

looks great cant wait to get my hands on it.

+ stennex on January 9th, 2009 at 9:14 pm said:

Please put a mini Soccer field a Basketball court or even a mini football field would be fine as well for Madden in there PLEASE!

+ blkant on January 9th, 2009 at 10:52 pm said:

Incredible. All past issues with EA (except getting the skate 2 demo late :( ) Are completely forgiven. You guys kick ass now :D

+ blkant on January 9th, 2009 at 10:53 pm said:

P.S. Please allow the golf cart to be a home accessory :P Ill work my but off to get the money to put that in my house :D

+ Stinkin Mushroom on January 9th, 2009 at 11:24 pm said:

Poker : I’m there :)

sony > I’ve saidd it once and wil say it again: Just put a whole poker space in Home, with real money (applying the law and stuff) and you’ll sell PS3′s like hotcackes :)

+ AquariusCold on January 10th, 2009 at 12:09 am said:

I can really see Home becoming a whole new world of it’s own. Sony is really gonna be turning heads with these kinds of updated content.

+ Kevyn.B.Grams on January 10th, 2009 at 12:52 am said:

This is exactly what I was expecting out of Home, but the fact that it is coming so fast is mind blowing. Thank you EA for doing an awsome job, and I really hope you get the payback on this investment that you deserve.

One thing that would really make buisness boom (IMO) is taking advantage of the game promo spaces upstairs. Along with the pics and info for the games released or coming, I would add an option to demo, and buy the game.

Just think if people could buy the game on Blu-ray (or dare I say off PSN) right from the promotion area. This is something that I think could lead to a lot of buisness, and really hope to eventually see from spaces like this.

Keep up the awsome work. I look forward to this area, and will make it one of the places I stop by every night when I hop on Home.

+ Snack_Eeter on January 10th, 2009 at 2:04 am said:

+ RatchetFanatic on January 10th, 2009 at 4:15 am said:

why do i have to redownload every area after a patch? that’s the dumbest design flaw from sony since the HDD only being compatible to a single PS3.

+ p-s-3 on January 10th, 2009 at 5:41 am said:

That’s well cool :) Nice 1 EA.

+ snskidtv21 on January 10th, 2009 at 6:48 am said:

I’m really excited about this. Kudos to EA.

+ Akayoda on January 10th, 2009 at 7:21 am said:

dude that is awesome

+ maluraq on January 10th, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

@ghostm: did you look at the back of your Dualshock3 controller? It says sixaxis on it too. Sixaxis isn’t dead, and its very fun to use in the games that have actually made use of it (like HVB).

+ maluraq on January 10th, 2009 at 8:08 am said:

@Ratchet: you have to re-download any area that changes, any time it changes.

The patches only patch the software, not the graphics or layouts obviously, since those are downloaded by Home itself.

After the last patch I noticed for example, there was an updated outdoor area but upon entering the theatre there was no update for that area so it just loaded normally.

+ ShamanNY on January 10th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

EA if you are listening… er.. reading, this is what you need to add

TABLETOP versions of your games, tabletop Hockey, Football, and Foosball, throw in air Hockey, and that game where two human lookalike figures punch each other until the head pops up.
Ok fine just have a virtual arcade, skeeball and pinball version of your IP library

+ rockleex on January 10th, 2009 at 9:07 am said:

I imagine within the next 1-2 years, Home WILL be a deciding factor on consumer purchases… IF Sony knows how to advertise Home!

All the promises made by Phil Harrison will come to fruition over time. Home will be a living breathing community of gamers/casual gamers/non-gamers.

I believe Home has the potential to drive PS3 to the number one console spot this generation! The “console war” is a marathon, not a sprint. The longer the marathon, the more impact Home will have. ^_^

+ Amir29 on January 10th, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

My my my, the EA Sports complex already covers lots of our suggestions!!! Mini-Golf, Racing, and Poker… OH MY!!!

Now, if you guys would just let my avatar have a mustache and beard at the same time, I would be VERY happy.

+ NeoHumpty on January 10th, 2009 at 9:58 am said:

I know they released Home a little early considering they have NOTHING worth looking at on it, but this made me tinkle in my pants a lil bit. Can’t wait to play this and see what other good companies come up with in the future. SWEEEET!

+ boysy on January 10th, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

I would like to see an EA shop in there somewhere for sports clothes for avatar. Maybe some kind of furniture for personal spaces?

+ sneakattack28 on January 10th, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

WTF? why does Europe get a killzone 2 bundle but not the U.S. I’m extremely disappointed

+ cell989 on January 10th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Massive CONGRATULATIONS to EA for achieving this. This should set the example for other devs. Although I think the good guys at UBISOFT are also working on their HOME space. I cant wait for an INSOMNIAC HOME space, or a KONAMI space theme with METAL GEAR all over the place. Oh one more, I cant wait for a SQUARE ENIX space, with all their IP’s in there.

Oh and what about Activision, when they see what EA is doing, I know they are not going to want to stay behind, imagine a space with mini guitar hero games and COD themes, awesome.

My only gripe with the EA space: where is the soccer action?

+ papabear01 on January 10th, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

Yo … im really feel’n the poker tables and alot of the sports titles in the sports complex …

Big ups 2 EA sports …

+ Jenovah on January 10th, 2009 at 11:33 am said:

This is how it’s done!! Cant wait to give it a go.

+ SolduNuts on January 10th, 2009 at 12:27 pm said:

This is the coolest thing to come to home so far. If everyone put in as much effort as EA has than home will turn out to be more than anyone could have ever dreamed of. I also love that you can earn stuff for your avatar and your house giving me a reason to come back over and over again. I have been to Red Bull Island, raced the planes a few times and now there is nothing to do. If every spaced had a reason to keep coming back like EA’s Sports Complex than Home as a whole would be better off.

+ shaolin_sports on January 11th, 2009 at 9:27 am said:

Awesome HOME space! Looking forward to playing. When you’re ready to add, how about tennis on the complex roof!

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on January 11th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

@50 – Perfect potential of Home…..

You mean design everything so it’s geared towards making us buy stuff through microtransactions?

Thanks, but no thanks.

For some reason, the Pixies song “Gouge Away” is coming to mind.

+ DTS MAN on January 11th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

I tell you what i noticed, there was a fire extinguisher near the stair case!! Crazy detail! I love the nice touches. I think someone said mini basketball….you gotta do that.

+ joel on January 11th, 2009 at 3:49 pm said:

Wow this is amazing

+ Slayer612 on January 11th, 2009 at 8:21 pm said:

I BOW TO SONY! THE TRUE MASTERS OF GAMING!

+ JLogic on January 12th, 2009 at 7:01 am said:

This looks awesome! Can’t wait for some golf. This should be great if used properly. Maybe spark some other spaces to do something similar. Poker fiends should love this.

Great job EA & Sony!

JLogic

+ kleanx on January 12th, 2009 at 1:37 pm said:

Congrats to EA for supporting HOME with such a beautiful piece of virtual architecture. The idea of poker’s leaderboard is incredible and will draw players back to the area.

You should definitely show some videos of EA online games for people to watch within the space (like a worldwide tournament of FIFA for example, or just the best moments)

+ Playstationfan707 on January 12th, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

i cant wait till this update. I also have a question. It is really 2 questions. Number one, will there be boxing between 2 avetars or not.i think a lot of people would like that manily when people on ps home make u mad u can go boxing with them. And Number 2 is different. Can they put kissing in ps home. There are some couples that would love to kiss on home and hug and hold hands

+ davidscritchfield on January 14th, 2009 at 5:53 pm said:

Can we please get some movie sharing support in home? I mean it was announced like two years before it was released (way longer than the xbox avatars) and xbox had movie sharing almost as soon as avatars came out. I would like to see this much more than these new spaces.

+ Playstationfan707 on January 15th, 2009 at 6:10 pm said: