Bloodborne

Magic Ball for PS3 Available Today

Olga Sokolova's Avatar + Posted by Olga Sokolova on Jan 15, 2009 // Producer, Creat Studios

Hello once again, and welcome to the Magic Ball blog!

Magic Ball (available today, January 15 for $9.99 on the PS Store) is another addictive game from Creat Studios and TikGames and it’s filled with fast action, great humor and giggle-inducing fun.

While the game doesn’t have an overall storyline like Cuboid, we have created comedic scenes for each level – so in a way, each level has its own little story! Each of the scenes is divided between two visual themes – Pirates and Knights – and each theme has its own mini-story scenes.

Magic Ball boasts a vast number of trophies that players can try and achieve – each of the trophies requires the player to overcome a specific challenge. It was a blast trying to come up with the trophies, and we tried to keep a lot of them consistent with the humorous themes of Magic Ball. For example, we have the “25 in a row” trophy where you need to complete 25 levels in a row and several “Goodbye Cruel World” trophies where the player needs to pick up 5 skulls while completing the level.

One of the strategic elements of Magic Ball is the random Power-Ups that fall from pieces of the level that are broken up by the Magic Ball. The Power-Ups are completely random, and the challenge is trying to get your paddle over to where they are falling, while also keeping the Magic ball in play!

But be careful – not all Power-Ups are beneficial! As you complete levels, you will unlock new Power-Ups, so keep an eye out for them! Here’s a hint – try to get the ball through gaps in the objects so that the ball will bounce between the objects. This will break them up quicker, which makes less work for you! ;)

Magic Ball for the PSN is a unique twist on the “ball-breaker” type of game. We have true 3D environments and superior physics and graphics, and every object in the playing field is completely destructible. All of these elements combined really push Magic Ball to the next level.

We’re also excited about the look and feel of our mini-scenes. We think they are really fun – and Magic Ball also has multiplayer with VOIP support! So what could be more fun than smashing up some objects and scoring points and Power-Ups with your friends!?

We all loved the original Magic Ball and were inspired to make our own version with our own unique twists, including new takes on some of the classic levels and adding some bonus ones as well! During the development of the game, we were able to bring in some focus groups that allowed us to make tweaks and adjustments that really helped to round out the fun-factor for each of the levels.

One of the areas that really got an overhaul during testing was the difficulty level of the game – apparently it was too easy! Man, you PSN players are really hardcore!

We are quite proud of our levels, and our lead designer and lead artist worked on them constantly during the development cycle. We had originally planned for a more casual game, but testing proved that players wanted more action. So we rebalanced and are really happy with the outcome.

Two of the other areas that were reworked completely were the SFX (special effects) and VFX (visual effects) of Magic Ball. The power of the PS3 allowed us to do many things that we had originally thought we might have a hard time with, but special effects such as waving grass and flowers are easily handled by the PS3 and the real-time physics with several hundred – even thousands! – of objects were easily managed. Once we saw how much more we were able to do graphically, we could then re-budget our development time and concentrate on gameplay.

We had a blast developing and playing Magic Ball, and we hope you will too. Let us know what you think!

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ SpookyJuice on January 15th, 2009 at 4:14 am said:

Just so everyone knows, this has Trophy and Voice Chat support.

+ SpookyJuice on January 15th, 2009 at 4:16 am said:

Here’s a question for TikGames, seeing how you guys are finding the PlayStation 3 satisfying to work with, and seem to be doing very well on the platform. Will we be seeing more PSN games from you guys? other than the 3 just released?

+ xicaninho on January 15th, 2009 at 4:20 am said:

Cool game

+ blkant on January 15th, 2009 at 4:39 am said:

I hope there is a demo though

+ PS3Diablo on January 15th, 2009 at 4:40 am said:

I getting this one, seems fun and my girlfriend will enjoy it also.

+ Onna76_NL on January 15th, 2009 at 4:43 am said:

I don’t really care about trophies, as especially with PSN games they’re just too difficult to get. Voice chat is a great option :-)

Game looks like a total blast and a lot of fun :-D Really colorful and beautiful as well, my compliments.

PSN is overloading with games, if were not careful enough we’re gonna wonder why we need blu ray games for anyway, haha.

+ Onna76_NL on January 15th, 2009 at 4:44 am said:

Hmm yeah good question, will there be a demo?

+ Thorpe on January 15th, 2009 at 4:49 am said:

Nice. Could do with a demo.

+ Makasu on January 15th, 2009 at 5:00 am said:

Nice one! Are all trophies possible to get on local multiplayer?

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 7:41 am said:

Yes, you can get trophies in multiplayer however only in cooperative play not in competitive.

+ SpookyJuice on January 15th, 2009 at 5:03 am said:

Heres another question for you TikGames, where you guys required to add Trophy support with your game? or is this just a false rumor.

+ tr3pidation on January 15th, 2009 at 5:13 am said:

I didn’t read it anywhere but can you play the game with the six axis? That would make the game (in my mind, so there go all credibility) a bit more fun to play while adding a pinch more of a challenge.

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 8:29 am said:

This game does not have Six Axis support. We played around with it but decided against it.

+ Chimpanzee on January 15th, 2009 at 5:14 am said:

Lol. I thought this was going to be a magic 8-ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_8_ball) app for the PS3 when I saw the title. Was worried there for a minute!

+ Jedi_webslinger on January 15th, 2009 at 5:20 am said:

My PS3 is being repaired, i can’t wait to have it back :o(

+ Gorvi on January 15th, 2009 at 5:21 am said:

Looks very cool, like an odd take on Arkanoid.

+ jimmyhoffa82 on January 15th, 2009 at 5:26 am said:

you have my 10 bucks i love the ball breaker type games, and now in full 3d! sahweeet!

+ PirateThom on January 15th, 2009 at 5:29 am said:

….

Once Cuboid and this are available in Europe, they’re mine!

It’s nice when studios make games in genres you like! :D

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

Magic Ball is available as of today in Europe (and the US), and Cuboid should be available by the end of the month in Europe :)

+ narde15 on January 15th, 2009 at 5:30 am said:

looks gr8 does it have custome soundtracks! custom soundtracks would be perfect for this game.

+ Keith K on January 15th, 2009 at 5:31 am said:

Looks really cool.

I’m sorry to say I’m disappointed that we arent seeing these games going to PSP. As much as I enjoy a quick play game, they’d be so much more valuable on the go.

Perhaps Sony should do more to persuade PSN devs to support Remote Play in their smaller releases.

+ Horrorist on January 15th, 2009 at 5:34 am said:

i didnt thought it would look like that,might be a buy now that i saw it

any chance we can get a trophies list somewhere?

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 11:45 am said:

“ ARRR!” – Completion the Pirate episode
    “ NI!” – Completion the Knight episode
    “10 in a Row”- Completion 10 levels in a row ( without starting a new game)
    “ 25 in a Row” – Completion of 25 Levels in a row (without starting a new game)
    “ 500k Plan” -More than 500,000 points within a session
    “ Millionaire’s Club” – More than 1,000,000 points within a session
    “ The Morris Award” – 9 bonus lives
    “ Bonus Plan” – Collect 100 ‘Bonus Points’ within a session
    “ Minuteman” – Complete a level in less than a minute
    “Award Winner” – Collect all Trophies in the game

and a few special ones. You will just have to play the game to see them ;)

+ Starbuck on January 15th, 2009 at 5:39 am said:

Does it have mouse support?

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 7:48 am said:

Sorry, no there is no mouse support

+ Daver on January 15th, 2009 at 5:43 am said:

old good classic game, you have my money for sure, i hope its fun :) it looks to

+ Marsz85 on January 15th, 2009 at 5:48 am said:

@19: Instead of asking for keyboard support you opt for mouse? Very odd, I could find using a mouse very difficult.

Anyway, the game looks really addictive, but like everyone is saying, a demo would be cool.

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 6:32 am said:

Good morning, everyone! Thanks for your comments, and I will try to answer as much as possible throughout the day.

Sorry to say that there is no demo available; however, the trailer above is a very accurate demonstration of the gameplay, which I know everyone is going to love! If you like bricker-breaker games, this will be a must have for your PS3!

+ slipping_halo on January 15th, 2009 at 5:48 am said:

Im really glad to see all these PSN games are starting to all have multi player, local and online. I have always loved these kinda games so lets give it a go!

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on January 15th, 2009 at 5:53 am said:

Looks interesting! In-game XMB Music available??

+ linebeginstoblur on January 15th, 2009 at 5:55 am said:

Heh, this trailer reminded me of the blog post when you guys said that Mahjong Tales was 3D and was built with physics. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the game, but I didn’t see how it could have had that. I was expecting maybe something like with the right analog stick, being able to move the table around. But the tiles weren’t really in 3D, and in fact, on some layouts, some tiles appear to be over others on the same level. And then the tiles move in straight lines, suddenly jerk to move together, and then disappear into a sparkly celebration. So when you guys came on here saying that you really emphasized 3D layouts and real physics laws when making it, I was a bit disappointed when I was playing the real game.

+ Starbuck on January 15th, 2009 at 5:55 am said:

@21: Why the hell would anyone want keyboard support for a breakout type game?

+ SuperDuckWC on January 15th, 2009 at 6:00 am said:

There is a VS multiplayer game? I remember the game “crash bash” a party game with Crash Bandicoot. A game was consited to do some challenge like Magic Ball but to score in the opposite goals. 4 player was amazing, balls from every where…

Hope for a demo…

+ Enforcer_X on January 15th, 2009 at 6:05 am said:

I LOVE trophies …

+ Vagrant_1 on January 15th, 2009 at 6:06 am said:

Looks like alot of fun, gonna have to pick this one up too

+ Fersis on January 15th, 2009 at 6:08 am said:

Awesome,lately the PSN is on a roll, tonz of content and games.
mhmhmh, i cant see the youtube video..

+ SpiritThief on January 15th, 2009 at 6:09 am said:

EVERYONE ELSE TAKE NOTICE!!

Local AND Online. Hate when they release a game with just one or the other, either both, none or leave:P

Will there be more levels coming? Or better yet just give us a free editor;)

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

There will be more levels coming in the add-on (sorry its not free though).

+ Schitthammer on January 15th, 2009 at 6:13 am said:

Thanks Olga, I’ll definitely be picking this up. Looks fun! Hope we see themed level packs in the future. :)

+ obsessed on January 15th, 2009 at 6:15 am said:

Wow! This game looks very interesting! I’ll go and buy it right now.
I hope sound is multichannel?

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 9:18 am said:

We have stereo music. Custom music will be in the add- on.

+ .Seiven. on January 15th, 2009 at 6:20 am said:

This looks MUCH more appealing than Cuboid did…I passed on Cuboid because it looked like some cheap PC game sold in a jewel case (but with better graphics).

This however looks like a new generation of Breakout…I may just have to pick this up today depending on what else releases.

+ Macard on January 15th, 2009 at 6:25 am said:

wow im getting this! :)

+ isolatebody on January 15th, 2009 at 6:32 am said:

I have a slight addiction to break out games. Now I can play them on my couch instead of an office chair, thanks.

+ LokeSTL on January 15th, 2009 at 6:38 am said:

I LOVE breakout/arkanoid style games. I’ll download it after work. Thanks!

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on January 15th, 2009 at 6:38 am said:

Too bad there’s not going to be a demo Olga, that means no buying from me. I’m not buying digital content again without trying it first, I regreted it once already.

+ shakoor_h on January 15th, 2009 at 6:49 am said:

Nice to see some great little games on PSN.

+ Jeigh on January 15th, 2009 at 7:01 am said:

Whoa! A while back I’d never even heard of you guys and now you’ve already released three games in rapid succession. Were you guys just lying in wait for everyone to get PSN cards during the holidays?

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 7:11 am said:

Haha, yes – we were plotting our next move, waiting for the holidays, so everyone could get a PS3! :-) Seriously, Creat Studios has been around for nearly two decades and we have released many games previously. Check out http://www.creatstudios.com for more info. And stay tuned throughout 2009 for even more exciting games from Creat and TikGames!

+ Jeigh on January 15th, 2009 at 7:03 am said:

By the way, I also couldn’t get the video to work, though I just went over to Youtube and it worked just fine. Might want to look into fixing it. I know you haven’t had it up long since there’re only 245 views.

+ spyker3292 on January 15th, 2009 at 7:04 am said:

I love the idea of having a brick breaker game, but with 3d stuff instead of bricks.

+ Torgo on January 15th, 2009 at 7:05 am said:

Sold!

+ Jeigh on January 15th, 2009 at 7:12 am said:

Sorry to post again, but I have to say that I just watched the videos for Magic Ball 2 (apparently a PC game) and that thing is dull as hell to watch. You’ve done a very good thing here. The machine guns are an expecially nice touch. How many stages are there in total?

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 7:17 am said:

The initial release of Magic Ball will include nearly 50 exciting levels (and both local and online multiplayer action), with over 20 additional levels scheduled to be available at a later date!

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

*correction* It\’s actually over 30!

+ SuperDuckWC on January 15th, 2009 at 7:26 am said:

Why there is no Demo? It’s expensive? Sony charge you for releasing a demo? 2 levels is enough… to make an idea of the game.

I really don’t understand…

+ seph1r0th00 on January 15th, 2009 at 7:30 am said:

I love brick breaker games!! TikGames/CreatStudio you guys are amazing!! Mahjong tales and cuboid are so fun I already know I’ll be picking up Magic Ball the moment I get home from work tonight!!!

+ ftwrthtx on January 15th, 2009 at 7:31 am said:

Looks like a fun game.
Thanks

+ TouchyEd on January 15th, 2009 at 7:32 am said:

Are you guys associated with Alawar Entertainment?

+ Olga Sokolova on January 15th, 2009 at 8:02 am said:

Magic Ball was developed under a license from Alawar.

+ SpiritThief on January 15th, 2009 at 7:33 am said:

@_@

50 levels, damn. See I thought it would have been 25 given the trophy.

+ Tigerriot on January 15th, 2009 at 7:38 am said:

I don’t buy that many PSN games, but I’m buying this one tonight. Looks like fun.

PAGE 1 2 3 4