Uncharted 4

YouTube on your PS3…in Full-screen!

Ginger Kraus's Avatar + Posted by Ginger Kraus on Jan 15, 2009 // Sr. Director of Promotions, SCEA

Have you ever wanted to just sit on your couch and watch YouTube on your TV? Well, it’s now possible via YouTube for Television, available through your PLAYSTATION 3. Currently in beta, the TV Website provides a streamlined interface that enables you to discover, watch and share YouTube videos on any TV screen through your PS3.

Simply open up the Web browser on the PS3, and enter the following URL: www.youtube.com/tv (note: this link will not work from a PC or Mac, only from a PS3) and hit enter. Now you’re good to go! You’ll notice a new YouTube interface that allows you to watch videos in full-screen. With enlarged text and simplified navigation, it makes watching YouTube on your TV as easy and intuitive as possible. Here’s a helpful video that guides you through the process:

We’re working closely with the YouTube team to make a more PlayStation-centric version of the YouTube TV Website page accessible from the lefthand menu bar (the YouTube button currently takes you to our branded channel on YouTube). So stay tuned for that and in the meantime grab a cold one and sit back to enjoy your favorite videos on the big screen!

Happy watching,
Ginger Kraus

PAGE 1 2 3

+ will_orz on January 15th, 2009 at 1:45 pm said:

Excellent!

+ ro13ert159 on January 15th, 2009 at 1:45 pm said:

1st comment sweet addition

+ Aaron on January 15th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

Awesome! I love PS3 only features :)

+ Mana Knight on January 15th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

Now this news is really cool. :D

+ reson8er on January 15th, 2009 at 1:48 pm said:

lol @#2

F A I L

This is great, I’m going to check it out as soon as I get home from work.

Thanks for thinking of stuff like this, and improving on the web browsing experience on PS3.

+ outkast32 on January 15th, 2009 at 1:50 pm said:

nice.. great feature. im really glad to see the PS team still trying to enhance the web browser! i give them MAJOR props because i use my ps3 web browser daily and i know LOTS LOTS LOTS of people do also.

kudos to you guys.

speaking on enhancement.. were about ready for another firmware update arn’t we? hmm maybe febuarary or march.

if sony wants to know: MOST WANTED PSN FEATURES:

1 PSN party system (through the xmb- not home)

2 in game chat/in game cross game invites. (through the xmb- not home)

+ SevenFactors on January 15th, 2009 at 1:51 pm said:

Awesome, I like this new feature. PLUS PLUS for the PS3.

Now we need the same for HULU.

We all love HULU and you guys know it ~_^

Ginger Kraus's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on January 15th, 2009 at 3:30 pm said:

I want it for NBA League Pass Broadband. It works, but needs a little love.

+ KoD7085 on January 15th, 2009 at 1:52 pm said:

Looks cool.

+ NewYork214 on January 15th, 2009 at 1:53 pm said:

hmm. thats actually pretty cool.

+ NathanJ on January 15th, 2009 at 1:53 pm said:

Good job Sony. Seems like you guys are working non-stop on features everyone wants.

“cross game invites”

LOL, like anyone wants this silly feature other than as some sort of bullet point for Microsoft’s crappy online service.

+ Sakimori_X on January 15th, 2009 at 1:57 pm said:

SCHWEET!!

+ Ghostm on January 15th, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

This a very cool feature. I can dig it!

+ elorm9 on January 15th, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

Nice, thanks for your efforts to make this possible :)

+ playa7970 on January 15th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

i thought this feature was already added

+ Daver on January 15th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

Nice! Hey i saw Fat princess in your game! when ia it available for us ?! :)

Ginger Kraus's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 15th, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

Good eye ;-)

When we announce a release date, it\’ll be right here.

+ ftwrthtx on January 15th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

I watch live sporting events from G0211.com quite often, and also all of my own BMX vids from YouTube.

youtube.com/user/ftwrthtx

+ BiezulbubBill69 on January 15th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

at 11 seconds when the playstation site comes up in the browswer, mine doesn’t look like that! Mine only has the blog and the 3 other options underneath. How do I get mine to show up like that at 11 seconds??

+ willacuz on January 15th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

I agree, major lol @ 2….

this is INCREDIBLE! thanks sony! Any news on EOJ?

+ scorpio on January 15th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

Great work in getting something like this done.

Much appreciated.

+ Nito025 on January 15th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

Cross game invitessss, xmb party system, more psn avatars!!!!!! Let’s see an update! Its been ages!!!!

Props on the You Tube support! Gotta love the 3rd party PS3 support! Keep up the good work!

+ JoE 15 on January 15th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

Just tried it out and it works really well. Great job guys!

+ Ghostm on January 15th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

Can you guys add this feature in the next firmware update. Every now and then while gaming I step away from the screen. The funny thing is, that’s exactly when I receive a new message. But by the time I’m back. I’m totally unaware of the new message. Maybe you guys can put a flashing message icon that pops on the upper right or left of the screen every 3 minutes? That would be cool.

Thanks

+ AceGamer on January 15th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

I like it.

Although, I would prefer a ‘YouTube’ icon in the XMB instead.

But don’t stop there, though. Hulu, maybe?

+ DeadBow on January 15th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

I saw Fat Princess and the Resident Evil demo. Lucky Man.

+ schwaa on January 15th, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

nice work!

+ Neil on January 15th, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

That’s pretty cool.

+ schwaa on January 15th, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

@22

i was gonna request that feature as well

+ CowboyDan on January 15th, 2009 at 2:06 pm said:

Fantastic! Great job partnering with Google!

I am sure you are already looking into doing the same thing for Hulu.com. But, if you aren’t that would be very much appreciated.

+ PsychoEddie on January 15th, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

Was this really necessary?

+ Trieloth on January 15th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

Thats cool, and yes its necessary, thank you very much.

+ EvoAnub1s on January 15th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

+ MiiAmigo on January 15th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

I guess it could be cool to see dummies doing stupid stuff on my big screen. We shall see.

+ EvoAnub1s on January 15th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

I hope money wasn’t spent on this walled off area of youtube. Is this Sony’s way of trying to restrict what you can see with youtube? Too bad effort wasn’t spent on making custom soundtracks mandatory past a certain date as was done with trophies, cross game voice chat, cross-game invites, or a party system.

+ EvoAnub1s on January 15th, 2009 at 2:15 pm said:

I thought the there was already an update to allow full screen flash.

blog.us.playstation.com/2008/12/01/ps3-firmware-v253-update/

+ C-h-a-o-s on January 15th, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

What about PSP users that have been crying for youtube support since 2006? PS3 and PSp should go hand in hand with the simple things.

+ erico316 on January 15th, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

now i see the reason for youtube partership

+ sbf717 on January 15th, 2009 at 2:19 pm said:

That’s awesome. Is there anyway you could extend this feature to PSP via a Youtube app??

+ illegalprelude on January 15th, 2009 at 2:20 pm said:

Hi Ginger, although I wont get into details, I myself work for a high profile tech company and one of the things ive been confused about and always thought about is, why does the PS3 via a firmware, not get a direct link to YouTube.

This comes and address what im talking about in some aspect, but where we currently have our WebBrowser and Search button, a direct link to YouTube would be nice that heck, might even directly just go to this site that your talking about right now.

We see them from devices like the iPhone that can go to youtube.com but have their own YouTube app, to other things like the AppleTV, TiVo Series 3 and Tivo HD units.

I would love to know your thoughts and comments on this.

+ SPARDA on January 15th, 2009 at 2:20 pm said:

That’s great feature.
It would be cool if (in a future update) Sony would integrate it a separate icon on the XMB like the google search icon

Thanks

SPARDA

+ LeonBlade on January 15th, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

Omg!!!!

This is awesome!!!!
PS3 FTW!!!!!!

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on January 15th, 2009 at 2:23 pm said:

I’d rather have some exclusive games.

I can watch Youtube on my computer.

How is this awesome in any way?

Games Please!

+ xaos on January 15th, 2009 at 2:24 pm said:

This is very cool; I had been disappointed by the clunkiness of watching youtube on the PS3 so I’m glad this is being addressed.

For folks who want youtube on PSP, I imagine that it is not as simple as people seem to think. Flash is a beast of an application to support in my experience, and I’m amazed that even basic Flash support is present on the PSP. I can’t imagine how hard (if possible at all) it would be to get a satisfactory Flash video experience on the highly constrained PSP environment.

+ kadab on January 15th, 2009 at 2:29 pm said:

dude is that FAT PRINCESS and RESIDENT EVIL 5 DEMO you have there in your XMB
( watch the clip and pause at 4 seconds)

+ yunier91 on January 15th, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

wow totally cool ,now we need HULU

+ barom on January 15th, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

I would be all over this feature, except for the fact that I use my PC monitor for both my PS3 and computer.

Cool to know when I get myself a real HDTV though.

+ 3AM on January 15th, 2009 at 2:31 pm said:

Awesome…This is a cool feature..

So now wheres the cross game voice chat?

+ crystalx3d on January 15th, 2009 at 2:36 pm said:

A lot of people on here don’t understand that this isn’t a sony firmware thing, it’s just google making a special youtube site that’s easier to use on the ps3 (just like the g4tv ps3 site). I would personally prefer to see a special youtube app that doesn’t use the browser or flash but instead uses the high quality h.264 videos youtube has for iphone and apple tv, perhaps with the option to save to hard drive. Unfortunately, the low quality .flv videos youtube uses look even worse when you blow them up to full screen.

+ BitRunner303 on January 15th, 2009 at 2:40 pm said:

Hope this gets integrated with Home somehow!

+ BitRunner303 on January 15th, 2009 at 2:42 pm said:

PS: I would STRONGLY recommend an XMB Icon for this feature, not everyone who owns a PS3 reads these blogs.

+ crystalx3d on January 15th, 2009 at 2:43 pm said:

Also, if you go to the link, you’ll see that this isn’t exclusive to the ps3. It also works with the wii browser (just like the g4tv site) and it says it will also support new set top boxes with browsers when they become available.

PAGE 1 2 3