PS4-The Order

PlayStation Network Video Content Update

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Jan 16, 2009 // Director, PlayStation Store

Hi again! The weekend’s here, and that means it’s time for your weekly update of new movie & TV shows on the PlayStation Network.

This week we’ve added the following new HD video content:

• Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
  • Damages | Season 2
  • The Unit | Season 4
  • Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey
  • The Shootist
  • Critical Condition
  • How I Met Your Mother | Season 4
  • The Unit | Season 4

We’ve also added the following feature films:

• Along Came A Spider
  • Girl, Interrupted
  • Jawbreaker
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)
  • Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
  • Critical Condition
  • Last Action Hero
  • Elizabethtown
  • Twisted
  • And Now Ladies and Gentlemen
  • Funny Face

And new video content from the following television series:

• Aquarion | Season 1

PlayStation Network Top HD TV Downloads 1-16

And, here are our top 20 movie and top 20 TV downloads for the week:

PlayStation Network Top movie downloads 1-16

PlayStation Network Top TV downloads 1-16

30 Comments

+ outkast32 on January 16th, 2009 at 6:08 am said:

nice. im not sure what else to say.. i guess i could keep trying to let sony know what the community wants.

most community wanted PSN features in next firmware update:

1:XMB based party system
2:xmb based cross/in game invites
3:re place ingame xmb with just a simple menu-if that make things faster.

+ XxBigP123xX on January 16th, 2009 at 6:10 am said:

All those charts for movies/tv are great… but how about making one fore top games played on the PSN?

+ Stoffinator on January 16th, 2009 at 6:34 am said:

Now if we could just get this in Canada. Maybe at least whats going on with it? No? Didn’t think so.

+ womfalcs3 on January 16th, 2009 at 6:46 am said:

I want a good horror flick for the weekend from the PlayStation Store. Anybody have recommendations?

I don’t like horror based on religion.

+ Slick on January 16th, 2009 at 6:59 am said:

I’ve been seeing a trend of more and more movies not initially being available to rent…Some even months into their availability.

I’m not quite ready to jump in and start purchasing movies that I cannot physically own.

Is there any particular reason why more and more movies are showing up with the only option available is to buy it? Is it a licensing/contractual thing?

I don’t believe I’m being stingy, I’m quite the regular renter of movies in the video store…but I have less options it seems with each update.

+ StalkingSilence on January 16th, 2009 at 7:01 am said:

Downloading Any Given Sunday, going to watch it on my PSP on the ride to Pittsburgh for the Steelers game.

I know it’s not the best football movie, but I’m a sucker for Al Pacino’s “6 Inches in Front of Your Face” speech. Gives me chills.

+ ftwrthtx on January 16th, 2009 at 7:22 am said:

Thanks for the info

+ mathdufort@hotmail.com on January 16th, 2009 at 7:35 am said:

Canada???

+ Raacky on January 16th, 2009 at 7:37 am said:

I want to be able to buy the movie “Clue” not just rent it, and also want to be able to rent/buy the movie “The Ref” with Dennis Leary and Kevin Spacey, movie is hilarious!!

+ kyosuke9999 on January 16th, 2009 at 7:57 am said:

When will we get the ability to do full season downloads at a reduced cost? When will seasons have all the episodes in order available for purchase?

By the way, the free pizza deal combined with the psn store was a cool promo, should do more like that.

+ slipping_halo on January 16th, 2009 at 8:00 am said:

still nothing in Canada eh? please guys i know you are probally working on it, but PLEASE can you give us an update??? Like anything??? this year? next?

+ big_hawk97 on January 16th, 2009 at 8:27 am said:

I’m pretty happy about the addition of Sealab and more Watchmen. How bout some more Simpsons…the GOOD seasons!

+ joostin on January 16th, 2009 at 8:28 am said:

@6 Any Given Sunday is one of my favs too! That Pacino speech gets you all jacked up!

Wish I could use the store, but alas, I’m in Canada and we are oppressed when it comes to Sony benefits lol.

+ Sakimori_X on January 16th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

@4: I don’t know that this is horror as much as it is suspense, but Vacancy is pretty decent and on the PSN store. Worth a watch if you haven’t already seen it.

+ Sakimori_X on January 16th, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

@4: Ah! Also, Descent. That was pretty good too.

+ NinjaZeroEight on January 16th, 2009 at 9:18 am said:

So, there’s this country called Canada who could use an update as to whether or not we’re even getting a video store.
Or, you could just give us Xam’d on Blu-Ray.

+ lakaihigh on January 16th, 2009 at 10:24 am said:

yay epic movie unrated! j/k guys… in all seriousness though its tight seeing the watchmen motion book on top of the d/l list. cannot wait for the movie and i can only pray the game is good.

cheers,
Lh

+ Protopet on January 16th, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

Where is House and more anime?!
-Vexille is great though!

See if you guys can reduce the price of TV episodes or do bundle packages.

Even David Jaffe said on his blog that he thinks the TV episode prices are too much.

+ Kevyn.B.Grams on January 16th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

Yet another awsome content update. I can not wait to start seeing the fruits of the MTV deal go up next month.

Now just another reminder on how to cash in on this store;

1. Fix the DRM so it matchs the Games side. Even if you can only do this with SPE content it would be worth it. The explosion of sales for SPE would put tons of pressure on other studios to follow.

2. Lower the price on SD TV shows. 1.99 for a SD TV show that I can get anywhere else for a $1 or less is outrageous.

3. Package seasons of TV.

4. Allow users to subscribe to new seasons of TV shows. Thus allowing them to go in and download them as they become avaiable.

5. All HD shows should be offered in HD.

This time I have a bonus idea.

BONUS – Allow users to purchase Blu-ray discs through the PS Store.

PREVIEW

Rent SD (480i)
Rent HD (720p)
Purchase SD D/L (480i)
Purchase HD D/L (720p)
Purchase Blu-ray Disc (1080p)
Preview

Would love to see that in the future. For now I can only dream of the profits SCE could bring in with these six new features. You guys have the power to make this a reality. PLEASE!

+ bigcsgc on January 16th, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

HOLY SNIKEYS ALL OF THIS IN HD!!!! IS THAT TRUE!!!

+ Korlithiel on January 16th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

Another update and still can’t watch these from my PSP without using a PC. Guess you must have decided the PSP’s wireless is too slow for people to want the convenience and would rather force us to not buy/rent impulsively.

+ mdo7 on January 16th, 2009 at 3:32 pm said:

@ post 18

I do agree with you. I want to see more anime (even though we got some bunch of new one this week). I want House also. But I want CSI and Law & Order on the playstation store.

+ awheaten on January 16th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

The Universe Sony PLEASE

+ naz on January 16th, 2009 at 7:26 pm said:

get this thing going on in canada already! i’d get every episode of the new season of lost

+ Pnzrdvr on January 17th, 2009 at 2:15 pm said:

Are they going to respond to the comments about “is Canada going to get this?” or not??? Not very professional, considering for every new blog about this, it’s always the same, and no answers.

A simple yes or no

+ Scodo_Thope on January 20th, 2009 at 1:33 pm said:

So maybe some HD movies I can purchase???

:P

+ hmrnkng901 on January 20th, 2009 at 2:33 pm said:

so useless. go to redbox. or download them off the internet.

+ badazzbandit on January 21st, 2009 at 9:28 am said:

When will we be able to send videos to our buddies?
Also are we ever going to when we’ll be able to play all games with on having to worry about it being regeional? (yes again)
I have a wife and 4 kids just want 2 know if I should spend less on unknown games and what 2 see if it’s regional or spend money on more new stuff for the family.
I could do both I just don’t like to waste money.
I mean I spend about 1100 on games and between 4 or 500 on Blu-ray movies.
Just wish some 1 would help me out with this region lock thing.

+ Shraylo on January 21st, 2009 at 4:56 pm said:

If they had this in Canada, I wouldn’t even have to leave my house to watch a movie! Do you know how convenient that would be? Do you, Sony? DO YOU?!! Just because we live in Canada doesn’t mean we don’t want this service! Please bring it here! I’m begging you! :’(

+ ilya12345 on January 25th, 2009 at 1:09 am said: