PS4-The Order

PSN Sign-in Coming to PlayStation.Blog Next Week

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 16, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

You asked for it, we talked about it – the day is nearly at hand. We’ll be implementing PSN Sign-on for the PlayStation.Blog this coming Tuesday. Once again, we believe this will contribute to a better community experience, and more relevant discussion here on the Blog. As the PSN ID is now the connective tissue between PS3, PSP, and PS.com, this move also lays the groundwork for further enhancement to your user experience.

You’ve probably got some questions. We’ve got answers:

What changes are being made?
Starting on Tuesday of next week in order to comment on the PlayStation.Blog you will need to use a PlayStation Network ID.

Will my PS.Blog login still work?
No, starting Tuesday you will be asked to use your PSN ID to comment on the blog. If you have a PSN ID, then you’re ready. If you don’t have a PSN ID you should grab one now.

What happens to my old comments?
They’re still there, and in fact, when you log in for the first time using your PSN you will have the option to merge your PS.Blog account with your PSN so you retain your old comments.

What about my screenname?
When you merge your PS.Blog account and your PSN ID, all your past comments will now appear under your PSN ID.

What will happen to my avatar?
As much as we loved Gravatars, we’ll now be using the PSN avatar which can be selected through your PLAYSTATION 3.

What is this merge you speak of?
Starting Tuesday if you have an existing PS.Blog login you will be asked to merge that with your PSN ID. Once linked you’ll use your PSN ID for all comments.

What if I’ve never commented and don’t have an existing PS.Blog account?
What? You’ve never commented? Say something! Seriously though, go grab a PSN ID and you’ll be ready to go Tuesday.

Where can I get a PSN ID?
You can get one here.

What if I forgot my password for my PS.Blog account?
No worries, you can retrieve it when you’re merging it with your PSN account.

How long do I have to merge accounts?
We haven’t determined how long it will be available, but at least a month or two. If/when we determine to take down that function, we’ll let you know.

We’re very excited about these changes, and we hope the migration experience quick and painless – like death by ninja. The changes will be rolled out Tuesday morning (early or late, depending on when and where you wake up), so please try it out, grab a PSN ID if you haven’t already, and let us know you made it through unscathed!

Oh, and how do you like the comment-reply counter? Seems that nearly every post has some red replies these days, which is a good thing.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ tearsofash on January 16th, 2009 at 5:05 pm said:

I’ll miss Miley. That is all. :’(

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 17th, 2009 at 12:22 am said:

Won\’t we all… :-)

+ thingg on January 16th, 2009 at 5:07 pm said:

awesome! We’ll finally be able to see whether the trolls actually have a PS3 or not…

and I am really liking the comment/reply thingy too. Makes it much easier to find.. ummm… the replies….. Keep up the good work guys!

+ enewtabie on January 16th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

Excellent news.I’ve been waiting for this feature for a long time. Love the red comment notice also. Thank all the folks for the hard work.

+ chriscowboyd on January 16th, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

@ 2 lol i totally agree with you bye bye hater you can no longer comment here .

+ PyroJack on January 16th, 2009 at 5:16 pm said:

Any chance of new PSN avatars arriving alongside this? If not, every other post is probably going to have the same avatar.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 17th, 2009 at 12:09 am said:

This feature won\’t, in itself, bring more avatars, but you can expect more to become available before too long.

+ Aeneman on January 16th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

Aww, I’m gonna miss my Al Swearengen avatar. Deadwood FTW!

The ones for IDs are so limited… we’re gonne see the same picture for hundreds of different people. :-(

Oh, well. Still a nice improvement.

+ gachzorge on January 16th, 2009 at 5:21 pm said:

i’m both happy and mad. I like using my PSN ID for PS stuff, so that if people like my comment they could add me or something like that, but I think it’s all a ploy for sony to say they have more PSN users. which I don’t mind, the more the better, but when I say PSN and XB Live have the same number of people, it isn’ necessarily regarding the PS3

+ SpookyJuice on January 16th, 2009 at 5:21 pm said:

Any news on the upcoming PSN enhancments?

+ AzureFusion on January 16th, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

Yeah, when will more spyro titles for PSone.

But I like this update, hopefully they’ll add it below the Playstation Store on the XMB

+ black_ryuk on January 16th, 2009 at 5:27 pm said:

Wish the psn had more choices for avatars…

+ Sev1512 on January 16th, 2009 at 5:29 pm said:

Congrats Jeff on this latest milestone.

The blog has really grown into a wonderful community.

Thank you for your dedication.

Oh, and when are we gonna get better avatars, or custom avatars? Please?

+ crazypenguin on January 16th, 2009 at 5:29 pm said:

so not that i’m not happy with the fact that the PS. Blog will finally have psn sign ins, BUT, avatars, seriously, NEW ONES ARE NEEDED, at least for all of the new games that have come out. i mean not a single LBP avatar in site, i may do something bad to myself.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 17th, 2009 at 12:11 am said:

You bring up a good point, but please don\’t do anything bad to yourself. It\’s not worth it!! :-)

+ Foxx on January 16th, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

No red comments from you guys on this post yet. I think that needs to be remedied :P

Thanks for all the work you’ve put into this blog. I know I check it every day at home and at work! Look forward to a great year ahead for the PS.Blog and the PS3/PSP/PS2!

+ joel on January 16th, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

We need new avatars for PSN, like the one i have!

+ NewYork214 on January 16th, 2009 at 5:33 pm said:

whats the point of this really? i dont care really because my PSN name is the same as this sites name. just wondering

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 17th, 2009 at 12:13 am said:

It\’ll set the table for the blog to include PSN features (portable ID integration, perhaps), as well as make things consistent; your name will be the same here as on the boards, as online. Who doesn\’t want one less username/password to remember?

+ Jayceon_Kidd on January 16th, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

add more avatars to psn or your gonna see the same avatar every five posts

+ AzureFusion on January 16th, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

I don’t I guess for some it matters but for others it doesn’t.

If I had a pick I’d say

DBZ Shin Budokai

DBZ Shin Budokai: New Road

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters

Spyro 2-4

Megaman 1-9x Psone

And chat area for PSN

+ Money1 on January 16th, 2009 at 5:42 pm said:

yesss!!!been waitin for this since 07

+ tezasaurus on January 16th, 2009 at 5:48 pm said:

Can we get, you know, a decent selection of avatars? I mean, 90% of the ones right now have been there for years, and it seems like every month or so a new one gets added. We should have a ton of MGS, Killzone, SOCOM, LittleBigPlanet, etc. avatars! I don’t get why you don’t update the avatars! Now that you’re merging our blog accounts, we need variation more than ever. I don’t [DELETED] get it. :(

+ Netweb on January 16th, 2009 at 5:50 pm said:

WE NEED CUSTOM AVATARS ON PSN!!!

+ NathanJ on January 16th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

This really isn’t fair to the Xbots pretending to be PS3 owners.

How are they going to make up fake stories about their PS3s dying now?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 17th, 2009 at 12:15 am said:

D\’oh, accountability for the loss! :-D

+ Stoffinator on January 16th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

Hey Jeff!

Can you please please get Sony to update the god awful avatars on the PS3? Most of them make no sense and 90% don’t have anything to do with games.

+ Clinton514 on January 16th, 2009 at 5:52 pm said:

Cool, nice to see the progress. Can’t wait…

Now all we need are some more avatars. Give us all of the first party stuff at the least. I don’t understand what the issue is with getting us some fresh images. Can you comment as to why it’s taking so long to update?

thanks.

+ seamonkey420 on January 16th, 2009 at 5:53 pm said:

nice..

but like everyone else..

needs more cowbell!

er.. i mean more avatars or let us do custom ones! :)

+ Money1 on January 16th, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

@19

lol you make it seem like it’s been forever since ps3 was out…it only came out late 06

+ chaosatom333 on January 16th, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

ONE question.

I log into playstation.com using my email and password.

Can I use that to log into Playstation blog.

+ DrBingogh on January 16th, 2009 at 5:57 pm said:

Cool! I love the comment-reply counter by the way. Keep up the great work and I’ll keeping being an admitted/unrepentant SONY fanboy.

+ DrBingogh on January 16th, 2009 at 5:58 pm said:

Also, custom avatars would be nice and the ability to edit a comment would be cool too.

+ KazeEternal on January 16th, 2009 at 5:58 pm said:

Gravitar > PSN Avatar

I’m sorry but the PSN avatars blow. Small selection, no custom icon, lacks a time machine …… Well you get the idea.

+ cronqvist on January 16th, 2009 at 5:59 pm said:

Sweet! I’m loving more and more the whole PS.com and PSN integration. Now, if only we could check and compare trophies online…

+ tirminyl on January 16th, 2009 at 5:59 pm said:

Great! Sadly gravatars won’t be used and unfortunately PSN avatars are very outdated. Curious as to when those will be updated…I know you guys have nothing to do with that.

Suggestion: It would be great to have some type of way to view users comment history? Click on a users name shows all their recent comments.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 17th, 2009 at 12:19 am said:

Hmm, an interesting suggestion function. We have that in the back end (helps to ID trolls, etc), so I\’d have to see if that\’s possible to make public.

Again, this is why we\’re doing the PSN integration – to lay the foundation for future functionality.

+ BigVic on January 16th, 2009 at 6:00 pm said:

Wow this is great. I love that playstation.com is becoming more involved with the PSN. I was wondering are we going to be able to queue downloads through playstation.com soon?

+ Astro411 on January 16th, 2009 at 6:09 pm said:

:D It wouldn’t be much of a change for me seeing how my Blog ID is the same as my PSN ID, but i’m looking forward to what the future holds for the Blog and hopefully we’ll see more features added soon.

+ osufan21 on January 16th, 2009 at 6:09 pm said:

I heard awhile back something about playstation.com will offer you your full friends list and messaging from your computer. Now I know playstation.com gives you your friends list and there status, but what about the feature of messaging from your computer to your friends on PSN?

+ Wisdom Wanderer on January 16th, 2009 at 6:11 pm said:

I’m glad it will be soon. So far I have Killzone, Littlebigworkshop,Playstation forums all linked together. I can’t wait, as it also cuts down on my passwords that I will have to remember.

+ WHAT on January 16th, 2009 at 6:17 pm said:

“we believe this will contribute to a better community experience”

I believe that having your first party games working online before the 3-6 months and 3-4 patches will contribute to a better community experience.

+ momba0014 on January 16th, 2009 at 6:24 pm said:

great news…but please Sony we need more avatars on the PSN….all the ppl on my friends list have the same avatar

WE NEED MORE AVATARS!!!!

+ greatdump on January 16th, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

大家好 我是邓春辉。。。

+ cLokwerk_ye11ow on January 16th, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

Yay! Now, as others have stated, please give us a crapton of new avatars. With our PSN avatar being used to represent us so much now, we need some more diversity.

+ YippyKiAy on January 16th, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

Will their be new avatars anytime soon? I’ve had Kratos for such a long time now. Don’t charge for them please.

+ SpeedRacer1955 on January 16th, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

Finally getting one login for all PSN content… Sounds like you guys been working for Apple. ha ha ha ha …

+ tr3pidation on January 16th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

Any chance you’ll make it super easy for those who use the same email for both sign ins? :)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 17th, 2009 at 12:20 am said:

What do you mean? You\’ll only have 1 sign-in.

+ YellowBlizzard on January 16th, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

Custom Avatars are a must. Also we should ve some access to trophys via playstation.com and also have singnature options.

+ Captain Fury on January 16th, 2009 at 6:41 pm said:

heck sackboy is the new mascot and he dosent have an avatar…

All Sony IPs should have an avatar on the PSN parappa,nariko, the GT logo, SotC more uncharted characters…etc

+ Mana Knight on January 16th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

Awesome, I’m definitely happy. :D

+ YellowBlizzard on January 16th, 2009 at 6:44 pm said:

@1
what is the point of that.

+ Snack_Eeter on January 16th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

Ah hat means I can’t advertise my favorite hot sauce ever, Tapatio!?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 17th, 2009 at 12:21 am said:

Cholula is clearly superior!!

+ TheHakku on January 16th, 2009 at 6:48 pm said:

Still moving forward! Good news! Though yeah we’ll all miss Miley!

+ Snack_Eeter on January 16th, 2009 at 6:48 pm said:

Well I won’t care anymore because I love the fact that my PSN will be integrated onto here! Yessss!!!!

+ SonicTHP on January 16th, 2009 at 6:48 pm said:

This all good and well, but I will say that PSN needs new avatars really really bad. It has been far too long since there was an update.

PAGE 1 2 3 4