PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Stop and Smell the Flower on PSN February 12th

Kellee Santiago's Avatar + Posted by Kellee Santiago on Jan 19, 2009 // President and co-founder of thatgamecompany

Flower

Hi! I am really happy to finally let the internets know the official launch date for Flower. Hooray for releasing games (It’s really my favorite part)!

Flower is a tough game to describe. We like to think of it as a video game version of a poem; an exploration into the tension between urban bustle and natural serenity. Players accumulate flower petals as the onscreen world swings between the pastoral and the chaotic.

But even at E3 this year, a lot of the responses in the press were “it’s tough to describe… you just have to play it.” Because it’s not fair to only ask game journalists to try and describe such a different game, I’ve also asked all the people here at TGC to describe. To keep things even, they could only use 10 words – we’ve had more time to think about the game:

Nick Clark (Game Designer):

A windy journey that lets you flOw in 3D.

Martin Middleton (programmer extraordinaire):

We hope you enjoy our flowers.

Matt Nava:

Flower’s simple concept conceals grander themes that will provoke thought.

Jenova Chen:

An interactive poem exploring the tension between urban & nature.

John (Lead Programmer) [John broke the rule, but earns points for style here]:

Flower, shower, power tower,
First class, string bass, grass en masse,
Sun, fun, nearly done,
Petal, metal, lightning gun?

Once the game is out, maybe I can get you all to submit your 10-word descriptions of the game, and we can see what comes out of it. (Yes, yes, snarky commenter, we know what you’re about to submit.) …I like to think that if we could have expressed it in words, we wouldn’t have made a game about it in the first place.

In honor of the announcement, we’ve got some gameplay footage for you below.

+ jbat17 on January 19th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

this game has been getting a lot of good previews. good thing it comes out early feb. otherwise, it would be KILLZOWNED

(that made little sense, i know. just wanted to say KILLZOWNED)

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on January 19th, 2009 at 4:40 pm said:

Hahahaha that is the best phrase ever.

+ Dibbz on January 19th, 2009 at 9:53 am said:

You guys are awesome. Day one. Hopefully UK PSN gets it the same day.

+ AceStrike on January 19th, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

I’ve been looking forward to this game since it was announced. Glad to know it’s finally coming out soon, getting it day 1.

+ Half_life000111 on January 19th, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

I’d like to see the price :)

+ WHAT on January 19th, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

I’m not getting this so I give my 10 or less words to describe it now.

Boys picking pedals. Only possible on PlayStation annnnnd vogue.

+ Letters2Kay on January 19th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Awesome, thanks, all!!! I’ve been a HUGE fan of flOw since its release (and even before) and I’ve been itching to get my hands on Flower. Can’t wait to lose myself in the gorgeous landscapes…

BTW- Just noticed the fact that the word “Flower” is the word “flOw” with a few extra letters. Nice. ;) Can we consider this a sequel to flOw, perhaps? Can I hope for a PSP version someday soon?

Again, thanks and I can’t wait! :)

+ BStreakX on January 19th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

Does it have full surround sound? Is the music mixed in 5.1? We need more 5.1 music mixes.

And thank you Sony for giving a game like Flower the spotlight, instead of the endless stream of testosterone shooters.

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on January 19th, 2009 at 4:41 pm said:

Yes, the audio was mixed in 5.1, so enjoy the experience!

And yes, I would like to say thank you to Sony, too.

+ Jeigh on January 19th, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

…Beautiful…

+ Enforcer_X on January 19th, 2009 at 10:28 am said:

Yup buying it!

+ serendipiddy on January 19th, 2009 at 10:31 am said:

I did it myslef :)

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on January 19th, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

The only thing I am willing to smell is the fresh scent of the UMD.

Give me a UMD and you have a sale.

+ SolidSnake500 on January 19th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

I can’t wait… I love the game you guys put produce…

I’m already looking forward to the next one.

+ NewYork214 on January 19th, 2009 at 10:37 am said:

wow actually looks kinda cool. i think ill pick this up. i thought this whole zen-genre thing was stupid but that game actually looks relaxing.

+ Neil on January 19th, 2009 at 10:52 am said:

My most looked forward to game this generation.

+ ilkhani on January 19th, 2009 at 10:56 am said:

Very cool, will be buying this game day one.
February is looking awesome right now.

+ Nsho on January 19th, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

looks like a sonic game where u r supposed to collect things, except this is much better

+ mknightstalker on January 19th, 2009 at 11:04 am said:

looks great. What is the price?

+ saintfighteraqua on January 19th, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

Oh my gosh you are using Janice as your icon! She is the scariest muppet ever!

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on January 19th, 2009 at 4:42 pm said:

Janice is a peace loving muppet, and shouldn\’t be feared!

+ MariusElijah on January 19th, 2009 at 11:25 am said:

Since not a lot people know how to describe it, I ask why not a Demo?

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on January 19th, 2009 at 4:50 pm said:

That\’s fair, and I can\’t answer for Sony on that, but personally I think the prices of downloadable games are so small that they kind of make demos unnecessary (this is my super short statement on this subject – email me if you want the long answer). Yes, our (the downloadable development community) teams are smaller, and our dev time is shorter, but our games make less money, and statistically they make a LOT less money when part of it is given away for free.

I know you\’re taking a small financial risk by choosing to buy one of our games, but I hope you think it\’s worth it.

+ chubigans on January 19th, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

Congrats Kellee! You guys deserve a break. :)

+ snazzyboy18 on January 19th, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

me like unique games.

+ TopherTide on January 19th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

Looks awesome! I can not wait!

+ illegalprelude on January 19th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

Having owned PixelJunk Monsters and Eden, Flow and Blast Factor and Superstardust HD and another 10 PSN titles, I cannot wait for this game. Seems really different in the best way possible

+ acerazer1 on January 19th, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

Yesssssssssssssssssss wooooooooooooo

I’m excited.

+ se7enthsign-psn on January 19th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

Wow. I’m not sure what to think just yet. Hopefully it has a little more depth than Flow did.

+ barom on January 19th, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

w00t! been waiting for this game. Depending on the price I might just get this day 1. If not at the 10$ or under price, I’ll get it at a later date.

One thing though. Please say you guys implemented in-game custom music. This game really fits that feature (or at least from what I’ve seen). I’ll be buying this game regardless but if it’s not implemented then please consider a patch. I would really love to have it for this particular game.

+ Akayoda on January 19th, 2009 at 11:48 am said:

what is so hard to explain. from the looks of it, it’s like the 3D version of 2D games like snake. where you go around eating things and get longer. just the size of the box is bigger

+ Johnny Sasaki on January 19th, 2009 at 12:05 pm said:

Can we attack people, like in the Happening?

+ NewYork214 on January 19th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

so when’s the next game going to be announced/teased? you going to have another 24 hour game makeathon type of thing again?

+ viprdude on January 19th, 2009 at 12:24 pm said:

weird games…

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on January 19th, 2009 at 12:28 pm said:

It looks really good! I can’t describe it… lol.

Two questions will this have In-game XMB Music access and any type of co-op?

Give us more details please!

+ Schitthammer on January 19th, 2009 at 12:30 pm said:

I love the work the team did on flOw. I love it. I’m sure I’ll love Flower too! Can’t wait until Feb 12th!!!

Thanks again for bringing these new types of games to the PlayStation Network! :)

+ MegadethAndy on January 19th, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

Looks great, is it 720p or up to 1080p?

+ 40cal on January 19th, 2009 at 12:43 pm said:

Hey Kellee,

I have two questions. First, how much is flOwer going to be, and trophies?

I must say that this game looks beautifully amazing, I loved flOw so I have been waiting on this for a while.

Thanks for the heads up.

+ PullusPardus on January 19th, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

its a shame sites like IGN gave XBLA games award “Game of the year” while not giving any PSN games anything , infact they didnt show any intrest.

+ OPTION_NINE on January 19th, 2009 at 12:53 pm said:

SERIOUSLY! I thought for sure PJ Eden was at least going to be recognized. What happened? TSK TSK :/

+ DudeFX on January 19th, 2009 at 1:00 pm said:

Game looks very fresh, innovative and fun. I’m guessing $9.99, def day one buy for me.

+ darkstar123 on January 19th, 2009 at 1:02 pm said:

this looks awsome

+ KeyWii on January 19th, 2009 at 1:12 pm said:

This is truly the most beautiful game I’ve ever seen.

+ lakaihigh on January 19th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

looks very relaxing indeed! its flOw but new an in the year 2009! i love it.

peace,
Lh

+ LouVelvet on January 19th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

Yaaayyyyyyyyyyy!

+ PsychoEddie on January 19th, 2009 at 1:35 pm said:

No guns? No flamethrowers? No grenades? No explosions? Where’s the joy in that!?

+ Jackal888 on January 19th, 2009 at 1:42 pm said:

Flower looks awesome, I cannot wait to relax and play this game.

+ Shim on January 19th, 2009 at 1:48 pm said:

Flower Power! ;)

+ Skater_Ricky on January 19th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

Cant Wait!

+ Musiol on January 19th, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

Beautiful… simply amazing. Is there a chance to get a hi-res screen from game? I want it as my wallpaper :)

+ Ghostm on January 19th, 2009 at 2:24 pm said:

2 days before my birthday. Sweet!

+ darkstar123 on January 19th, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

just a question will the psp be able to play this in remote play write back

+ Enigma777 on January 19th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

wow! That game looks really peaceful and relaxing… good after those stressful days

+ YippyKiAy on January 19th, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

Does this game support trophies? BTW, Any date announced for Fat Princess?