PS4-The Order

Stop and Smell the Flower on PSN February 12th

Kellee Santiago's Avatar + Posted by Kellee Santiago on Jan 19, 2009 // President and co-founder of thatgamecompany

Flower

Hi! I am really happy to finally let the internets know the official launch date for Flower. Hooray for releasing games (It’s really my favorite part)!

Flower is a tough game to describe. We like to think of it as a video game version of a poem; an exploration into the tension between urban bustle and natural serenity. Players accumulate flower petals as the onscreen world swings between the pastoral and the chaotic.

But even at E3 this year, a lot of the responses in the press were “it’s tough to describe… you just have to play it.” Because it’s not fair to only ask game journalists to try and describe such a different game, I’ve also asked all the people here at TGC to describe. To keep things even, they could only use 10 words – we’ve had more time to think about the game:

Nick Clark (Game Designer):

A windy journey that lets you flOw in 3D.

Martin Middleton (programmer extraordinaire):

We hope you enjoy our flowers.

Matt Nava:

Flower’s simple concept conceals grander themes that will provoke thought.

Jenova Chen:

An interactive poem exploring the tension between urban & nature.

John (Lead Programmer) [John broke the rule, but earns points for style here]:

Flower, shower, power tower,
First class, string bass, grass en masse,
Sun, fun, nearly done,
Petal, metal, lightning gun?

Once the game is out, maybe I can get you all to submit your 10-word descriptions of the game, and we can see what comes out of it. (Yes, yes, snarky commenter, we know what you’re about to submit.) …I like to think that if we could have expressed it in words, we wouldn’t have made a game about it in the first place.

In honor of the announcement, we’ve got some gameplay footage for you below.

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on January 19th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

FFS, WILL YOU REMOVE YOUR HEADS FROM YOUR POSTERIORS AND RELEASE THIS ON DISC FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WANT A PHYSICAL COPY?

+ Daver on January 19th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said:

its gonna be great! ill buy for sure

+ starblinky01 on January 19th, 2009 at 3:28 pm said:

well im already buying this game for sure. Also I thought it was Zen genre? The new genre you guys invented.

Cant wait to play this, any idea how much it will cost?

+ vandam on January 19th, 2009 at 3:33 pm said:

Is this just a singal player game or mutiplayer game? online or off?… Looks great but then again alot of PS3 games look great.. :D

+ AdversaryofGod on January 19th, 2009 at 3:50 pm said:

This is exactly the kind of game I want to play after hard days of work. I really hope Flower last forever! I dont want to finish it in an evening…

+ FelonOnParole on January 19th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

Not my kinda game..

+ tirminyl on January 19th, 2009 at 4:41 pm said:

The game looks great! I can’t wait to pick it up!

+ OldSchool969 on January 19th, 2009 at 4:50 pm said:

I won’t be able to play the damn game if you guys don’t fix the lock up issue while messaging.

+ TheHater on January 19th, 2009 at 4:53 pm said:

Well Flower is another Buy for me. Do you guys have any idea what your next project is?

Oh and one trophy better be coming home from a long day at school and this game relax you :)

+ wutnowsucka on January 19th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

So is it possible that we will be able to play our own music on the HDD of the PS3 and play through the game? More PS3 games need In-game XMB music integration D:

+ cb_32 on January 19th, 2009 at 5:52 pm said:

IT IS QUITE UNFORTUNATE THAT PSN CARDS ARE NOT SOLD IN CANADA SO LOOKS LIKE I WONT BE GETTING IT LOL.

Get your act together Sony and release the damned card in Canada and UK already.

+ enewtabie on January 19th, 2009 at 5:58 pm said:

@101
It’s a PSN game(Playstation Network) You download it. You don’t buy it on a disk.It’s probably under a gig at least. Times change

+ Morphine16 on January 19th, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

Will get this on day 1

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on January 19th, 2009 at 7:13 pm said:

@112

Times only change if you let yourself be told they do.

Sony has a responsibility and a *duty* to satisfy *all* customers. If not all their customers want to download a game, then they have an *obligation* to make sure an alternative is there for other customers.

Right now, I’m one Peed off PS3/PSP owner.

Europe gets Echochrome on disc and we don’t? Unacceptable.

Europe gets Super Stardust PSP on disc and we don’t? Unacceptable.

Games available as downloads only? Unacceptable.

Until Sony removes its head from its rectum and decides to they’re going to meet the demands of *all* customers, they’re not getting my business.

And from the looks of things, they sure need it right about now.

+ Korlithiel on January 19th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said:

So PS3 only then? Looks interesting, wish it was tagged for what system it’s planned to be released for.

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on January 20th, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

Yes, PS3 – via download on Playstation Network.

+ stlthriot on January 19th, 2009 at 7:50 pm said:

Thanks much for your answers! I truly appreciate it. :)
As far as that co-op multiplayer goes, I was actually kind of hoping you would say it didn’t because it would be wierd for this game.
Flower looks truly amazing visually and aurally, I am definitely purchasing it on the 12th!

Also, any chance trophies are coming to flOw? :D

+ bdavid81 on January 19th, 2009 at 7:58 pm said:

Looks cool. But my most anticipated title remains as Fat Princess.

+ THE_TERRORIZER on January 19th, 2009 at 8:22 pm said:

Ill give it to them, its beautiful, but its not my style at all.
Im waiting for FEAR 2 and KZ2. Im a bad dude. I know. Im awesome.

+ stlthriot on January 19th, 2009 at 8:49 pm said:

I think thatgamecompany needs to make some visualizations for the PS3! A Flower visualization would be absolutely amazing! :D

+ Kronix on January 20th, 2009 at 12:05 am said:

Looks great. I cant wait.

+ Bilbo_bobbins on January 20th, 2009 at 2:40 am said:

all looking good. Might purchase this one. Nice and relaxing after a solid 5 hours on KZ2

+ Shin-Ra on January 20th, 2009 at 6:05 am said:

Woo, PSN Sign-in!

Euro release date should be the same if http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/games/detail/item114776/Flower/ is anything to go by. :)

+ Mana Knight on January 20th, 2009 at 6:09 am said:

The game definitely looks really cool. I really want to play it. Seems very relaxing and seems good to play after a hard day.

+ Beyond8D on January 20th, 2009 at 6:11 am said:

WOW great game.

+ Sneeches on January 20th, 2009 at 6:15 am said:

game looks awesome, can’t wait to give it a try :)

+ feedme on January 20th, 2009 at 6:19 am said:

excellent can’t wait to play this, loved flow

+ Victor1 on January 20th, 2009 at 6:31 am said:

k00l been wanting 2 try this out…just hope my new hard drive comes so that i can fit it

+ Gaia on January 20th, 2009 at 6:53 am said:

This game looks great, I will definitely be picking it up once it’s released :)

+ IceReign on January 20th, 2009 at 7:00 am said:

Very interesting game..

+ kandal978 on January 20th, 2009 at 7:17 am said:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!

+ madcrabs on January 20th, 2009 at 8:01 am said:

I’m excited. That video is awesome.

+ Zaku on January 20th, 2009 at 8:18 am said:

Game looks great and it’s nice to see unique titles like this gracing the PSN. Look forward to playing this :)

+ xenorevlis on January 20th, 2009 at 8:30 am said:

After trying flower last year and experiencing what felt like the mental equivalent of a full body massage – I immediately purchased flow+expansion. Prior to flower I had no real interest i flow, but they are actual GAMES with hazards and objectives and yet… they are freeform and soothing beyond most anything I’ve ever played. Good job on this and Sony, PLEASE find some way to promote your PSN games like flower and Savage Moon.

I don’t mean another artsy commercial with thins on shirts and walls (as cool as that was) because it detracts from the art and visuals of the ACTUAL GAMES. If you can someho combine the cinematic element of a commercial and then have a ton of direct-feed game footage to show all this off – I PROMISE people will take notice.

+ LUGOVES on January 20th, 2009 at 8:31 am said:

Love the Unique gameplay from ‘thatgamecompany’will certainly get this as soon as it’s available.

+ djtortilla on January 20th, 2009 at 8:34 am said:

cool, i will buy this game

+ DJ_DTM on January 20th, 2009 at 8:37 am said:

I’ll probably buy it AFTER I play the FREE demo.

No demo, no purchase.

+ BigBoss712 on January 20th, 2009 at 8:54 am said:

Loved Fl0w so I’m definitely getting this one. =)

+ ninja_55 on January 20th, 2009 at 8:59 am said:

Seems very rlaxing. The graphics look great. Every strand of grass moves..argh the POWER of the CELL. You also said 5.1 sound? DAMNNN this is a day 1 purchase!

+ sarshelYam on January 20th, 2009 at 9:07 am said:

@136

I kind of don’t think the game even needs a demo. It’s pretty clear from the lengthy trailer what we’re intended to do…similarly it’s a cinch to decide if you like the premise/presentation…coupled with the fact there’s a relatively low risk in investment. Honestly, it’s not a 60.00 game (which really does need demo attachment).

Anyhow, I’ve been waiting on this for some time. I loved Flow and this looks to expand upon it in a fully realized 3D space with an aim to relax and de-stress. The 12th can’t come soon enough.

+ OmieeZF-LIVE on January 20th, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

cant wait till i get this game

+ crustySox on January 20th, 2009 at 9:35 am said:

1080p?!?

+ TrueStoryGuy on January 20th, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

I’m getting a huge kick about how big the worlds are. flOw had smaller worlds (or “screens”) and I never would have expected Flower to look so big.

Nice job, guys, can’t wait to get my hands on it!

+ AlexD169 on January 20th, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

I can’t wait for this game

+ APaz on January 20th, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

I’m definitely buying this as soon it comes out.

+ Chowbacca on January 20th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

This game looks innovative, can’t wait!

+ meepmoopmeep on January 20th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

aw4esom!

DAY ONE buy for me!

keep bringing out these awesome unique PSN games!

+ bigbossarg on January 20th, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

awesome now one question:
custom soundtracks? If yes then i buy this day one :D

+ Mike_Feith on January 20th, 2009 at 10:14 am said:

Flower Power duuddeees. Pretty crazy how these little games here use more of the ps3 processing power than some of the top notch multi system games, not only that but they look great. Now your just showing off lol.

+ Ice_Pick on January 20th, 2009 at 10:24 am said:

Wow…it looks great! I am really looking forward to this.

+ GeneralOfDeath on January 20th, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

Flower… What do you do kinda looks a bit boring :O