GTAV PS4

Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jan 20, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi, everyone, we have a system software updates for PS3 coming soon, and I wanted to provide you with a sneak peak at the details.

The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

• Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
  • DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Here’s a video walk-through of firmware 2.60 that shows off some of what the Photo Gallery can do.

As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback.

1,713 Comments   4 Replies

PAGE 1 2 3 35

+ SantanaClaus89 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:02 am said:

SWEET!!!!

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 20th, 2009 at 9:17 am said:

PS: Glad to see that you all are seemingly logging in easily with your PSN ID. Migration go ok?

+ craazy on January 20th, 2009 at 9:03 am said:

Waht else does it do?

+ chubigans on January 20th, 2009 at 9:09 am said:

Looks awesome! Wooo!

+ Aaron on January 20th, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

AWESOME! :)

+ RubMyDucky on January 20th, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

Great work, Eric and to the PSN guys. :)

PS. I’m looking forward to In-DVD/Bru-Ray XMB. ;)

+ brentos on January 20th, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

Nice. I’d still love more support for sub-directories on external hard drives in addition to playlist support on external drives.

+ RubMyDucky on January 20th, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

It plays games in pure HD. :)

+ darkiewonder on January 20th, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

PLEASE update the whole PSN activation. I would like to have a feature where I can deactivate all accounts online because The only way to deactivate is to go to the actual ps3? Come on now!

+ Stoffinator on January 20th, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

Very nice feature guys. The lay out looks really good.

+ LegendarySWE on January 20th, 2009 at 9:13 am said:

I love Divx.

+ NiteStrikerZero on January 20th, 2009 at 9:14 am said:

Thank you! Now lets get in some more PSN features, you guys gotta check out the PS3 Updates board on the forums, tons of great ideas from the community

+ YippyKiAy on January 20th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

This is a cool update. But for the next update, you should be able to have two separate PSN IDs logged in at the same time. My brother plays with me all the time and it would be great for him to have a PSN ID with his own trophies. BTW, tell konami to intergrate PSN with Metal Gear Online.

+ OLy on January 20th, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

Lame

+ XxBigP123xX on January 20th, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

Yeah…give us PSN features, no this.

I mean, it’s great you keep adding to the PS3 as a multimedia device, but I play games on it first, watch movies and view photos second.

+ Weggingt on January 20th, 2009 at 9:17 am said:

Will we be able to order prints of our photos from the PS3?

+ Evildude on January 20th, 2009 at 9:17 am said:

Why do we need guest access?
This is just gonna lure lots of haters and non PS3 lovers…

For the rest of the stuff i think we can use the new Dvix update..

+ pscoolman on January 20th, 2009 at 9:18 am said:

Yeah this is awesome now i can have something like photoshop. and also Eric will the update also give us more psn features?

+ Stargatefreak on January 20th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

Nice features, but i want a better friend list!

I have much friends and i want to group my friends in own categories, for example:
- Clan
- SOCOM friends
- etc.

This make the PS3 friend list more useful and friendlier!

+ depward on January 20th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

Good deal. Adding further multimedia capabilities is definitely a great step in the right direction.

+ vince_the_biker on January 20th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

Please, give us the PS2 backward compatibility in a future firmware !!!

+ RubMyDucky on January 20th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

@OLy If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say it. I’m sure Sony has put alot of effort into this firmware update.

+ YippyKiAy on January 20th, 2009 at 9:20 am said:

One more thing, Put the battery meter on the bottom right and leave the clock/date on the top right. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!

+ Fersis on January 20th, 2009 at 9:20 am said:

Sweet news.
And yes Jeff, the PSN ID login is working fine. :D

+ IceColdEskimo on January 20th, 2009 at 9:21 am said:

I wish there was video support for .mkv files =[. This photo app. looks cool but I dont think ill find much use for it, maybe a more casual gamer will.

+ Sev1512 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:21 am said:

I love the photo gallery feature idea…

I am constantly fishing through hundreds of pics of my new daughter, when family visits, its going to be great to be able to organize things a bit better.

+ RT_Boston on January 20th, 2009 at 9:21 am said:

Was waiting for the battery/clock comment. It’s a valid one.
Other than that… continue the good work.

It’s appreciated.

+ RubMyDucky on January 20th, 2009 at 9:22 am said:

@Jeff. The migration process was smooth as butter. :)

+ jayrockslife on January 20th, 2009 at 9:22 am said:

I never left comments because I could never remember that random code password they gave me and could never figure our how to change it.

Now i’ll actually leave some comments.

@22.. or put it in the top right just below the clock instead of over top it.

+ Flava18 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:22 am said:

Nice update, thanks Eric :)

+ vince_the_biker on January 20th, 2009 at 9:22 am said:

It’ll be great to see a message alert near the clock when we have a message from a friend !!

+ AlterEgo on January 20th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

The migration hasn’t gone perfectly unless I’m mistaken.

I logged in fine and merged my accounts but I was under the impression that PSBlog would from now on be using my PSN name when instead it still uses my PSBlog name.

Is this correct or is it going to change to my PSN name later on?

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 20th, 2009 at 9:42 am said:

We\’re looking into this now. It\’s supposed to be the PSN ID.

thanks for pointing this out.

+ issa3032 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

Looks awesome. That dedicated photo app looks like it will give Picasa a run for it’s money. Eric please let suggest that the PS3 firmware staff work on implementing cross-game chat because that is seriously the last remaining gaming related addition we need.

BTW, just saying hi to Jeff (it’s Andre from the Insomniac Community Day) !!

+ Christian399 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

Excellent. The PSP firmware should be out soon too (though it’s just a security update).

Oh, and for the love of Chr*st, please ADVERTISE KZ2. You know, on televisions and such. Where people will actually see the game.

Cheers,
- C

+ PirateThom on January 20th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

I posted yesterday, but I’ll ask again.

Would it ever be possible to have an option to make trophies auto-synch, like when you play a trophy enabled game and then return to the XMB, they’ll synch instead of having to visit the trophy icon or Trophy card?

+ rothbart on January 20th, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

Completely unexpected features, but welcome nonetheless. Photo Gallery looks like it has some neat tech… “smile detection”? I wouldn’t even have the foggiest how that “really” works… but cool.

+ Alclay on January 20th, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

I really like that Photo application. I’ve always been wanting some way to organize my photos more extensively on my PS3.

I’m definantly looking forward to this!

+ malomeat on January 20th, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

I love this so much. The Playstations get better and better!

+ XxBoR1CuAxX on January 20th, 2009 at 9:26 am said:

cool keep up the good work

+ YippyKiAy on January 20th, 2009 at 9:26 am said:

@28..yea that would work too. I just hope Jeff is reading this.

+ playa7970 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:26 am said:

please bring back backwards compatibility

+ jcmarkel on January 20th, 2009 at 9:26 am said:

Cool. I love firmware updates. Any word on some new avatars or custom ones? And will it finally be safe to change our passwords on our PSN accounts without incurring that notorious TROPHY virus error?

+ JordanBlack68 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:26 am said:

Needs better features, have you moved the battery indicitor yet?

+ pixelKillerBR on January 20th, 2009 at 9:26 am said:

And how about support for srt subtitle? It would be super.

+ GrayFox1992 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:27 am said:

It’s great to see you guys (and gals) are constantly adding new features…although nothing in this update appeals to me i’m sure many others will appreciate it :D

+ Gotoxy-90 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:27 am said:

Is there a BIG surprise in FW 2.60? :P

+ DeathroW22 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:28 am said:

Thanks SCEA! Us europeans would be totally lost if it was not for you.

Anyway, could anyone comment on the cross-game chat possibility, you said that you were evaluating the possibility of adding it back with the 2.40 update and it would be nice if we could get one of the following replies (Because i know you most likely could not say much):

1) We’re not planning anything
2) Its a possibility
3) We’re still evaluating
4) No.

Thanks again though, PLEASE reply – i know you cannot say much but i’m sure you can just pick reply with one of the numbers i listed :)

+ YippyKiAy on January 20th, 2009 at 9:28 am said:

PSN ID integration worked great Jeff.

+ issa3032 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:28 am said:

Yeah PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE advertise the HECK out of Killzone 2.
If you guys are wondering why Resistance 2 and Little Big Planet sales are mediocre, it’s because your advertising budget was low and the actual advertisements were uninspired.

+ Gothdom on January 20th, 2009 at 9:28 am said:

Cool update.

This may sound trivial, but could we get more visualisation for the music player? (something like Milk for winamp comes to mind)

+ NathanJ on January 20th, 2009 at 9:29 am said:

“implementing cross-game chat ”

Oh shut up.

No one gives a damn about that stupid feature idiot. Go play with your RRoD box if that is so F-ing important to you.

PAGE 1 2 3 35