LittleBigPlanet 3

Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jan 20, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi, everyone, we have a system software updates for PS3 coming soon, and I wanted to provide you with a sneak peak at the details.

The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

• Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
  • DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Here’s a video walk-through of firmware 2.60 that shows off some of what the Photo Gallery can do.

As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback.

1,713 Comments   4 Replies

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 35

+ ftwrthtx on January 20th, 2009 at 9:42 am said:

Thanks for the heads up

+ kenji on January 20th, 2009 at 9:42 am said:

I really hope they make it so that you can message your friends on the PSN from a PC and add inbox notifications and message sounds.

+ Zaku on January 20th, 2009 at 9:42 am said:

Looks awesome. Looking forward to see what else is packed away in the this update. Thanks for keeping us up to date and great job by the PSN/Firmware team(s) :)

+ SouthwoodS on January 20th, 2009 at 9:42 am said:

Pretty cool…..

+ herb420 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:42 am said:

So, is my name going to remain herb420, or is that just a glitch?

PSN: HerbertFortoon

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 20th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

It\’s a glitch. Soon your 420-ness will be hidden from public view ;-)

+ bigbossarg on January 20th, 2009 at 9:42 am said:

OMG a photo gallery? just what i was hoping for!
/sarcasm

Seriously there are so many importan things that the ps3 needs and you are wasting your time in things like this ?
Please WORK IN WHAT REALLY IS IMPORTANT!

+ lantus on January 20th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

Awesome.

P.S. I’m loving the new PSN sign-in, makes things much simpler. Thank you!

+ Frankeyz on January 20th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

Yeah, awesome =D.

+ Chrisrahosiris on January 20th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

Media functionality is always welcome on the PS3. ;)

+ Vonbane on January 20th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

Thanks for the update guys! Keep ‘em coming.

P.S.- The migration was no trouble at all.

+ KazeEternal on January 20th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

How about a PlayStation 2 Emulator in 2.70 ><

+ GuyaneseG on January 20th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

nice, cant wait to give it a try

+ JoeBeyond000 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

Is Guest Access going to be added to the PSP possibly and could you guys add a feature that allows us to deactivate the remote play registration on the PS3 or PSP so I don’t have to erase my setting on my PSP to do this task?

P.S. The new PSN login feature on the blog is really something great Thanks:).

+ mavsman214 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

nice feature.
IDEA 1: share photo’s across PSN with other PSN friends.
IDEA 2: ability to tag photo faces with names, then be able to sort by tag

+ meta1militia on January 20th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

Awesome! New DivX support is always welcome. Gotta love Sony for that. Thanks for this update!

+ Skerj on January 20th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

You’re releasing a “media” update, I sure hope it has video folders/playlists. I’d love to be able to organize my videos stored on the HD somehow but right now I can’t. Can you guys do that for us?

+ travelo1 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

I Love It!! Can’t wait!!

+ Elsa43 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

I’m glad to see that you are taking HDD space into consideration and making this a separate, optional download (it would have been nice if little widgets like the “information bar” which I find useless – had also been made optional!).

Thanks again! Having 2 PS3 units in the household, I’ll likely download this to the 80GB unit, and not download it to the poor overstuffed 60GB unit… which may need a spiffy new HDD upgrade at some point in the near future!)

… and just a thought, but I have a 300GB USB drive that I use for backups… it would be nice if demos or Quore (especially Quore which is large and often needs to be retained for “unavailable at this time” downloads)! could be stored on the USB drive and transferred back to the PS3 unit when needed (or run direct from the USb drive).

+ asharab on January 20th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

awww im crying …. ive been waiting so long for a firmware update but still it’s not going to fix the trophy bug that ive had since november the 28th for changing my email adress
i still can’t play some of the greatest games LBP R2 all that i pre-order =( please i just want to play !!

+ SnoopYTimes on January 20th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

Cool.
10 Year Console. Indeed.

+ SmogItUp on January 20th, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

Please allocate more resources to Slant Six. You guys tried to skimp on the costs and it is now blowing up in their faces. Please save Socom!

+ masteratt on January 20th, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

More gaming orientated features please Sony.

+ Neo-Delta on January 20th, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

Pretty Cool

+ tenguman on January 20th, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

what I would really like in the next updates is the option to customize the xmb, like to remove features I dont use like home and life with playstation and google search, and maybe have a direct access to the internet and microphone settings.

@NathanJ
I give a damn about cross game chat, is a good idea, to be playing while you chat with a friends, it would be really cool.

And does anyone has troubles with video chat?, I can start a video chat, but after 1 or 2 minutes either I get disconected or my friends, and we have to start again

+ JiggaSam on January 20th, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

please for the love of god and all that is holy LET THERE BE CROSS-GAME CHAT. i want to talk to my friends no matter what game i or they are playing! no one cares about the stupid photo gallery horse $**T. jeeze do you guys not pay attention what YOUR customers want. it’s amazing that this wonderfull system has been blasted into oblivion due to you horrid handling of customer satisfaction and advertising

+ PSPete on January 20th, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

I wonder what else will be changed with this update. I hope the browser freezing issues will be fixed. It seems wireless connections cause freezing to happen. I’m not sure if it’s my router or CECHA model PS3 but it still freezes after 2 years. Please look into it. Great update btw.

+ SuperDuckWC on January 20th, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

nice update, chat ingame please! For the moment I use Skype in PC with my friend

+ jqtaxpayer on January 20th, 2009 at 9:47 am said:

PLEASE! Allow support for media server streaming to games with custom soundtrack support!

Thanks for the DIVX support, though.

+ severeon on January 20th, 2009 at 9:47 am said:

Interesting but good choice of codec to add.

+ XKILLER44 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:47 am said:

Sweet but I want faster loading trophies, cross game chat and a game invite system.

+ gmoney on January 20th, 2009 at 9:47 am said:

just seeing what my account name is once i migrated…

+ Gr00v3r06 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

@ Jeff Nice update could you please expand on the Divx update? Please improve the music Jukebox and have whatever you make work in games as well for one that can support it. Also please add Voicemails.

+ Josrocket on January 20th, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

Awsome…i was wondering when the photo organization issue would be fixed…now how about an update to music content so that ps3 searchs online and fills in missing content such as artist, album etc….something similar to what WMP does.

+ Phantasmn707 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

The new login is a lot easier. Thanks for the update to the blog and for the info on the new PS3 firmware update :D

+ DKShadow on January 20th, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

Great to see PSN IDs being used everywhere – it makes life so much easier. Now for those PSN friends on PSP along with PSP trophies.. *wink wink*

+ Smoutefretter_BE on January 20th, 2009 at 9:49 am said:

Not a great update, but still expanding the PS3 features and that’s nice.
I hope in future updates that you do come with some features regarding the chatroom on PS3.

1) I’m still waiting for an update where you can -while in the PS3 chatroom- access your xmb to listen to music, view photo’s or films that are on your HDD. And this without having to close the chat like now!

2) Another usefull update would be an agenda/organiser/kalender, where you can add an occasion on a certain day and hour. When you “programmed” your stuff you can chose to get a warning!

3) what we also need, and i think everyone agrees, MORE PSN AVATARS. Maybe you can sort them by game. You can add many new ava’s. e.g. more motorstorm, resistance, uncharted, metal gear, LBP, burnout, etc.

+ IzaiazOfNazareth on January 20th, 2009 at 9:49 am said:

are we getting other features as well. can we get friend chat or party chat in game.

+ Frulond on January 20th, 2009 at 9:49 am said:

I just want access to XMB from PS1 and PS2 titles but this fw update seems good as all have been :D

+ jlrang on January 20th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

I’d like a search function under music and photos. It’s a hassle to scroll all the way down to “t” when you have 30gb of music on your PS3.

+ Musiol on January 20th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

I hope that isn’t all of the new features. I’m wondering, will you, Sony, improve PSX emulation? I’ve got EU 60GB unit, and from FW 1.8 my FF VIII won’t start. Another thing, will this FW fix the trophy sync issue? I hope for the reply :)

+ HanSolo on January 20th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

good job

+ herb420 on January 20th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

Awesome, thanks for the answer!

+ AzureFusion on January 20th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

Cool update jeff thanks for the info.

What will be the next features :).

Also get your guys working on the next PSP Update as well. The 5.03 was a let down.

Honestly heres all I really want for the next update

1:Screen Capture as I work for a gaming site and would love to show off some psp shots.

2:Playstation Blog avalible for psp

3:Video record for psp games

4:copy and paste setting for psp.

I know this will eventually come out, but im just throwing in my 2 cents.

+ SpiderMike_X on January 20th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

First time commenter. Would love a little red box reply saying Hi from Jeff cos I rave about you guys all the time. lol.

Thanks for the update. You’re doing a bang up job at SCEA. Look forward to hearing from you guys as some point in time.

+ gigakain on January 20th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

I cant merge my old blog name it keeps saying that it doesn’t recognize my email.

+ TrueStoryGuy on January 20th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

I was expecting more out of this firmware update; but nonetheless, an update is an update.

+ slickhenry on January 20th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

@12/YippyKiAy:

Simultaneuous psn-logins and trophies are game-specific and works as expected in Little Big Planet :)

When my gf, who usually played with me, started the game logged in as herself for the first time, she got a bunch of trophies and a saved state from all the games she had participated in earlier.

+ freeluv on January 20th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

coo

+ Tigerriot on January 20th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

I’ve got a simple message for Jeff Rubenstein and Eric Lempel. If your Japanese firmware overlords ever ask for suggestions, and I emphasize the word “if”, please remind them that this is a gaming machine, and we gamers want gaming related features added with these updates.

Seeing updates time and time again that focus on media capabilities is just frustrating, when we all know that the PS3 is still in need of a lot of refinements and features related to social gaming and trophies.

+ Super_Chicken on January 20th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

Oh man… .mkv support is all I ever ask!

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 35