PS4-Watch_Dogs

Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jan 20, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi, everyone, we have a system software updates for PS3 coming soon, and I wanted to provide you with a sneak peak at the details.

The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

• Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
  • DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Here’s a video walk-through of firmware 2.60 that shows off some of what the Photo Gallery can do.

As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback.

1,713 Comments   4 Replies

PAGE 1 31 32 33 34 35

+ sean1144 on January 22nd, 2009 at 9:33 pm said:

i have a question what about haveing the ability to connect your ipod or iphone and play music thew the ps3, there are many games, one at least i think would be great to use would be GTA4.

+ DanielMobile on January 22nd, 2009 at 9:40 pm said:

What this new feature ABSOLUTELY needs is integration with Google’s Picasa WebAlbums.

This way even if we connect at our friends PS3 all we do is login to our account and we can share private pictures everywhere!
Call me a Happy Camper if that happens.

Thank you.

+ atreyu_- on January 22nd, 2009 at 10:42 pm said:

INGAME MUSIC ACROSSED ALL GAMES would be nice. xbox 1 had it,cant the ps3 handle it?

+ dragontc20 on January 22nd, 2009 at 11:51 pm said:

@Jeff

After installing the update, my Fallout 3 has started freezing up on me. Before the install it ran fine. Also everytime it freezes I have to force my PS3 to shutdown and reset itself. Which I hate doing… Could you look into this for me? Thanks!

+ atreyu_- on January 23rd, 2009 at 12:10 am said:

oh and mabey speed up the ingame xmb,profile card and trophy list. I mean they’re so laggy its embarrassing.STILL WAITING FOR CUSTOM INGAME MUSIC ITS BEEN 2 YEARS AND 35 UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Emera on January 23rd, 2009 at 1:26 am said:

I recently purchased a pair of Sony DR-BT50 bluetooth headphones, which I am loving, but unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be a way to set the PS3′s audio out to a bluetooth device. The microphone works fine, but I can’t get audio through bluetooth.

Are there plans to enable PS3 audio via bluetooth, so those of us who have wireless headphones can enjoy our systems with the luxuries that such devices impart?

+ tassilor on January 23rd, 2009 at 2:53 am said:

Looks awesome, is there any plans to integrate video streams as well. If you have PMB (Picture motion browser) for your Sony camer and camcorder, the feature to have video and photo files in one application really becomes a must have.
Hope you already plan it !!

+ p123don on January 23rd, 2009 at 5:32 am said:

What we really need is a cross-game Voicechat Tool. This must be the priority!!!

+ badass_gamer on January 23rd, 2009 at 5:45 am said:

How about adding features that enhance the GAMING experience. For instance, how cool would it be to be able to watch you friend play a game, see what he sees, and talk to him about it via the online connection?

How about making it possible to play music on the HDD during ANY game!!!

+ pmiPdezarC on January 23rd, 2009 at 5:45 am said:

lame is right! who asks for nongame support on a game console. sadly this is why there will not be a ps4. bad support for what the system is made to do.

+ lonewolf1994 on January 23rd, 2009 at 5:45 am said:

wahoo! another useless update!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay -_-

+ badass_gamer on January 23rd, 2009 at 5:47 am said:

Does Sony even listen to it’s customers?

+ ean6789 on January 23rd, 2009 at 6:44 am said:

Hey guys dont really know where to post this or what not but was wondering if u were planning to have any tree system for files on the PS3 released in a future firmwaare? My XMB is super cluttered with movies and the option for sub folders would help immensely in organizing them all

+ Koosjuh on January 23rd, 2009 at 6:52 am said:

I have a question; Cross Game chat is pretty cool feature from the xbox; I still love playstation the most ofcourse but I gotta say that feature is awesome and I wonder when will it be implemented? Will it ever? I like to play Games with in Campaign mode but i got a few friends that like to play Multiplayer but i’d still like to talk with them. So that’s not a bad idea to implement!

+ WoshJills on January 23rd, 2009 at 3:19 pm said:

Just make it where every PSN ID can communicate with one another in anyway (text, audio, video) regardless of what they are doing (listening to music, playing game, watching movie) or what they are using (PC, PSP, or PS3).

PS.Blog: Make it where I can view all my sent comments I make, for a couple of days after.
Think: myspace or facebook messaging.

+ VamPito1nOnly on January 23rd, 2009 at 3:21 pm said:

Fix the problem with the saving progress on LBP. I continue to have to ACE the same stage again and again because it doesn’t save my progress after I log off and log on the next day. Anyone playing LBP. Please heart me and my simple stage. Thanks for your heart donations which will be put to the proper use.

+ jamaican27 on January 23rd, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

I think that we should be able to have 2 people to sign into an account so when you play a 2-4 or more player game your friend can advance his level or rank like on resistances cooperative mode.

+ VVhitedemon on January 23rd, 2009 at 4:33 pm said:

Just some ideas for next update:
-I really hope next update will be more emphasize on Flash player compatibility of the PS3 web browser. Some newer version Flash player just won’t play on the browser.
-Also another good improvement can be more supported video formats.

+ N520 on January 23rd, 2009 at 5:06 pm said:

when will we updates for these???

-PSN GAME INVITE/ JOIN IN PROGRESS: users can join friend games from their xmb or send invites

-Game launching: this could be used outside of home. this could be SSonys nswer for xbox live party feature

-Photo capture: there already is a feature but why not have it for all games???

-Customize Avatars

-Organize trophy list: only show the ones players achieved then the locked trophies

-Playstation Network in game voice chat: meaning all games support in game voice chat and can send voice messages and cross game chat between friends

-Ability to look at more of your information online (friends, trophies etc…)

-Internet Radio from the XMB

-Greater profile customisation (custom avatars, blog pages, box art, comments, 3d trophies, photo captures, clock, friend list)

-Private video chat accessed via the XMB in-game

-Trophy Leaderboard – to show your trophies compared to other users on this site!!

+ DJTJAY on January 23rd, 2009 at 5:38 pm said:

Very sweet app… I would love you to add more media compatability with the Windows Home Server Package, some file formats just will not play whhilst streaming from a WHS unit. If you can do this I would be one very happy PS3 user and im sure others would as well.The PS3 and a WHS unit together are a very powerful media streaming combination!!

Nice job with this firmware update though..

+ alcatrazswim on January 23rd, 2009 at 6:40 pm said:

All looks good, but the PS3 is still lacking WMA10 audio support, which is present in the XBOX 360, and available on PC’s. Many cinematographers and videographers are using this high quality audio codec, in their movies, which will play on the XBOX 360, but not the PS3. The PS3 doesn’t recognize the audio tracks at all in WMA10.

+ matmeister on January 23rd, 2009 at 9:22 pm said:

How about support for .flac? Please? Or Apple Lossless? I would be forever grateful…

+ s2kneSs on January 23rd, 2009 at 11:43 pm said:

This is a very nice addition. I love how in depth it is.

+ Savage503420 on January 24th, 2009 at 1:04 am said:

nice try all of you but… no sony will never make custom soundtrack for all games they washed their hands by making the game devs put that in. gta4 i hate to say is a flop on ps3 because of the lack of??? idk, the devs for the ps3 version if they are seperate i dont want to say that gta is better on xbox360 but im thinking it very loudly. its not hard to find out why 360′s version is better tho $50mill buys a lot of custom sound lol. i love sony im what you call a fanboy, 2 of the best games ever made are psn exclusive, socom and warhawk.the games on both platforms like cod or gta, idk the numbers but it looks like xcox has more people on gta,cod,rockband than ps3 but thats the ads,price and the fact xcox came out first, they had a jump on the market sony has been playing catch-up so they havent been able to give all of what we ask for, but they have given us a top of the line system and you also must remember sony has the world lead xbox is big in the us but no where else. having said all of that WHERES THE CUSTOM SOUND FOR GTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ XZUMER on January 24th, 2009 at 4:05 am said:

I wish they would fix one firmware feature. After opening a New message and reading, if I push O to get out of the message to see the next one, it dumps me back to the XMB Friend section. If I press O, I should be returned to the RECEIVED list of messages, so I can choose a new one to read. Also, it would be nice if each message simply had a Previous and Next button on them before and after Reply. Another firmware suggestion is, I wish we would have the ability to MUTE or turn down the volume of the Game and Demo game launch icons. For example, the FEAR 2 demo icon is incredibly loud and I would mute it or turn it down.It would be nice to mute them all or one at a time by pressing Triangle on the icon and click MUTE Audio.

+ XZUMER on January 24th, 2009 at 4:10 am said:

I have to add the the GTI CLub demo is crazy loud and I definately wish they would add the ability to mute the game launch icons. Maybe the publishers need to learn to lower the volume? I go from Resistance 2 which is at a low calm normal volume to my new GTI club and Fear 2 demos and they are blairing.

+ thedvs01 on January 24th, 2009 at 6:19 am said:

I really hope that in the next firmware update you try and make a fix so that all the games in the XMB menu-listing play their audio at a standard volume.

It is very annoying to scroll through my menu of games and adjust the volume so that the menu sounds of one game are at a good volume level, but then scroll to another game and the audio is blasting nearly twice as loud as the game right before it on the menu.

Making all XMB menu items’ sounds play at a more standard volume level would be great.

+ Kane22_ on January 24th, 2009 at 6:37 am said:

Why is it taking u guys so long to give us a feature we’ve been wanting since the launch of the PS3 & that is cross game chatting i’m pretty sure i’m gonna get told to get another system but having that feature on the PS3 is a big plus.

+ borntodanc on January 24th, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

Why can’t it download pictures from my computer???

+ muzegit on January 24th, 2009 at 10:46 am said:

The media capabilities are THE reason I bought a PS3. These firmware updates are awesome! I especially enjoy the overall design of the new photo gallery and it’s so easy to use. Thank-you!!!!

+ The-Emko on January 24th, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

PlayStation Network
Isnt the best
What would make it better ??
CROSS-GAME CHAT
Yes NathanJ Cross-Game Chat
Its what everyone is asking for
Not Photogallary
All tho its a cool feature
There are much more important issues !!!

–It will greatly improve the social aspect of PlayStation Network, Home, exisiting/future multiplayer games

+ XZUMER on January 24th, 2009 at 12:41 pm said:

How do you send a private message to someone on the PS blog? It seems so difficult. I would like to pm comment 1630 and tell them that all they need to do is buy a USB flash/thumb drive and put that in your computer. Put the pics on it and then put the drive in your ps3. I don’t think it gets more simple than that. You can even download movies in divx or avi form and watch them right from the USB drive on you tv. It’s really quite convenient and xbox doesn’t even offer the ability to use a USB drive. I do it all the time.

+ The-Emko on January 24th, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

Cross Game Chat
Cross Game Invites
In the words of the O2 advert

“A More Connected World, Is A Better World”

WELL THE PLAYSTATION NETWORK IS JUST NOT CONNECTED, yes there is home, but it hasnt got the connectivity factor because you cant game launch with good games. And the process of goin in home and inviting you friends, Is LONGGG , just have it on the XMB

CROSS GAME CHAT !!
CROSS GAME INVITES !!
XMB GAME LAUNCHING !!
XMB PARTY SYSTEM !!

+ ccook22 on January 24th, 2009 at 1:42 pm said:

I can’t seem to be able to add my photos to the gallary, any suggestions? What’s the compatibility needed?

Chris

+ Senji_7 on January 24th, 2009 at 2:28 pm said:

Thanks for the new update!

I recently purchased a PS3 and so far have been very happy but would still like to request some improvements which have been voiced before.

First off I am enjoying using the PS3 as a media center, watching movies and listening to music from my external. There are still however, many file types which are unsupported. Could we have even more media support, codecs for video and audio? IE mkv, divx, avi (I still have some divx/avi files that are unsupported)

Cross Game Chatting is also another cool feature I’d like to see in the future.

Also to be able to play my own music when playing ps3 games.

Lastly support for subfolders when searching for music and video on externals, server etc.

recap

1. More media support, codecs etc
2.Cross game chatting
3. Ability to play music during ps3 games.
4 Support for subfolders, easier organisation.

Hope we get to see improvements in these areas in future updates.

Thanks guys!

+ n3cr0us on January 24th, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

boy, i’m in love with the PS3 …. again :)

DivX is exactly what i wanted …. yeah!!

+ billa123 on January 24th, 2009 at 5:08 pm said:

need to fix the psn make it fast to use.

+ oldricksf on January 24th, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

My ps3 is out for now hi every one this is cool thanks u

+ Coneman58 on January 24th, 2009 at 8:46 pm said:

I can’t wait to add my pics to the new update!!

+ Jerryatric on January 24th, 2009 at 9:15 pm said:

Thanks to this update, the play button on my bluray remote control no longer functions the same. If I am fast forwarding or rewinding either a bluray or a video file, I have to press the pause button to stop it, and push the pause button again to play. The play button no longer has a function.

+ iyaoyas615 on January 24th, 2009 at 10:04 pm said:

The Photo feature is great. Just had my first son so lots of pics.

+ WoshJills on January 24th, 2009 at 11:13 pm said:

DivX support is just one more than the Playstation 3 can do that the Xbox 360 can’t.

Bravo.
Just implement cross game chat and universal text through PSN IDs regardless of PC, PSP, or PS3.

+ oThUnDeRo on January 25th, 2009 at 12:39 am said:

Nice features !

But we need:

Cross Game Chat
and
Cross Game Invites

That would be great !

Thanks in advance

+ wrenyuk on January 25th, 2009 at 5:47 am said:

Part I.

The only problem I have with this, and it is a big problem, is that my PS3 is once again locked out and I pretty much can’t do anything with it until I upgrade. For some people, having to download over 100MB is simply not practical, especially on a frequent basis.

My current version is 2.53, and everything was working fine. Now, I find that even though I don’t have any photos on my PS3, it has been decided that my gallery viewing experience needs “enhancing”, and that until I install this large and unneccessary patch, I will be unable to go online. Grr.

+ wrenyuk on January 25th, 2009 at 5:47 am said:

Part 2

Of course, installing an update also places me at risk of HDD corruption, and who knows what else. Furthermore, I fail to see why I need to carry this out if I do not want to.

I have no idea when I will have the time, inclination or bandwidth to do this, and so for the time being everything has stopped working and I am left playing all my games on my videogames console in 1-player mode.

Being “required” to do something with no advance notice and without any grace period is simply not on if you want to keep people happy. Clearly this particular updade (and most updates in general) would not interfere with any core online operations, so it;s just plain stupid interference to force this onto us.

PLEASE, in future, make non-essential upgrades an option rather than an obligation.

+ Big_Bad_Will on January 25th, 2009 at 6:39 am said:

One thing i would like to see is a screen adjustment feature in the firmware. I know many people play ps3 on a pc screen but pc screens lack of color saturation. but it is possible to add more saturation. the problem is that to add more saturation, the additional saturation must come from the signal source and not from the screen. It would make tha games much more better.

+ WafflesJeff on January 25th, 2009 at 7:41 am said:

People may overlook just how amazing it is that the PS3 is powerful enough to do things like identifying age, detecting numbers of people, whether they’re smiling or not. Only recently have cameras had face-detecting technology, and then soon after that, this. Even though it’s not going to be one of my most used features (When I finally get a PS3 :P), it’s still amazing.

+ Gringo234 on January 25th, 2009 at 7:43 am said:

I love the new photo app.

+ MOS182 on January 25th, 2009 at 8:45 am said:

Fairly average update. Nothing too great to cheer about. Hoping for bigger and better for the next update!

+ dbcooper300 on January 25th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

will there be a firmware update so that we can listen to music saved on our HDD while playing games?

PAGE 1 31 32 33 34 35