Paragon

Jan 20

Jan 20

Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, PlayStation Network

Hi, everyone, we have a system software updates for PS3 coming soon, and I wanted to provide you with a sneak peak at the details.

The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

• Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
  • DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Here’s a video walk-through of firmware 2.60 that shows off some of what the Photo Gallery can do.

As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 35

mywhitenoise said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

1. Add more color options for the background (like the PSP), and add an option to change the color of the silk…how cool would that look to have a black background with red silk?

2. Add option to have sub folders. It would be nice to view folders by Artist, and then by Album folders for Music.

3. Add the ability to sort files (specifically the games) in the order that you want them.

4. Add more icons for our accounts. MGS, LBP, Heavenly Sword, GTA, GT5, Rock Band, Tekken, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Call Of Duty.

5. Add more profile information like the gamers location, hobbies, track games played, bio.

6. Please tie everything to your username, instead of the MAC address of the PS3. Rock Band, High Velocity Bowling, among others have locked saves, even with a full system back up they wont transfer to another PS3.

7. when you restore your backup to another PS3, you have to redownload all of your PSN content, and then activate the PS3 to play them…why can’t you just activate the PS3 to unlock the games instead of having to redownload?

ArcaneAltair said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

Great job with the migration guys.

Nagash_MalKaVian said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

Hm, my first post here.
I like the media capabilities enhancement to the PS3. I use it to view media as well as for playing.

Since the Ps3 launch, this console has made a really big improvements. (Even if here, in EU we still need some more love, video rent feature and SF2HD!)

I only wish guests could login to their PSN ID from my console so we could play and gain trophies together in multiplayer games, such as Eden, Resistance2 or other games where more players are needed.

Keep on with the good work! ;)

Nagger69 said:

January 20th, 9:52 am

yea u guys should really make an update to be logged in at the same time in one ps3….like the xbox 360……it would be really cool

SantanaClaus89 said:

January 20th, 9:52 am

I would much rather have PS2 emulation than a stupid photo gallery.

Joe382 said:

January 20th, 9:52 am

looks really nice and very intuitive, thankyou! The black menu bar that came up would be a fantastic replacement for in-game XMB, it seems so much more efficient and just a lot quicker to navigate with. Please take it into consideration.

HeartBreaker2k said:

January 20th, 9:52 am

I want custom avatars! please do it! or at least update us with more avatars.

albertperk said:

January 20th, 9:52 am

Sweetness

JohnnyMoses said:

January 20th, 9:52 am

Cool. Although, the ps2 didn’t have photo capabilities and it sold 50 million units! Maybe the focus should stay on games and improving the PSN. Just a thought! Other than that, thanks for the constant updates and keep up the good work!

PhillyPhreak said:

January 20th, 9:52 am

@NathanJ,

Cross game chat is important. No need to be such a jerk about it.

bronxchulo said:

January 20th, 9:53 am

wasn’t my PSN id supposed to be showing now?

anyway… this update… UMMM seriously? mostly a photo update? SERIOUSLY?

The friends list needs to be redone to allow you to group friends from how you know them.

The music folder needs an upgrade to make it easier to delete the whole libary at once (unless im missing something).

We need to have ingame cross chat with friends. We need to be able to have a muti-PSN sign in like xbox does when you play two player games your friend can use his PSN id.

A lot more other stuff too. Sorry but this was a bad update IMO which probably wasted a lot of resources on.

eburkulosis said:

January 20th, 9:53 am

This is something that I’d just rather do on my PC…

PS3Diablo said:

January 20th, 9:53 am

Cool !

Bubba_R said:

January 20th, 9:54 am

nice

herb420 said:

January 20th, 9:54 am

@150 – Super_Chicken

Stop with your horrible .mkv support. Ugh, worst file type ever.

Boo this man!!!!!!

Rocs said:

January 20th, 9:54 am

Interesting feature. I’ll be sure to check it out. Hopefully we will have more game related enhancements in future firmware updates.

robmv said:

January 20th, 9:54 am

Nice update, I really like the enhancements to the Photo section (I use it a lot), I hope this new firmware includes updates to the Timezones database, a lot of countries (for example Venezuela) have new Timezones and the PS3 still use the old values, If that is not the case, please Eric tell the firmware team that those updates are needed…

peevmyster said:

January 20th, 9:54 am

@ 50

Implimenting cross game chat would be way better than creating a photo album… i use my PS3 for playing games, not storing photos. It’s way fun to chat with your friends while playing a single player game, or while playing a multiplayer game so you don’t have to listen to everyone else in the room.

eksMAN said:

January 20th, 9:54 am

i like all the new features the firmware updates bring but it seems like every other week im updating my ps3, wouldnt it be better if there was like 2 or 3 major updates every year instead of these increment updates

ilkhani said:

January 20th, 9:54 am

Mr.Eric Lempel,

Will you guys ever give us XMB private voice chat, universally.
So that gamers can enjoy voice communication despite their individual actions.

Gamers all around the gaming forums are asking for this feature.
I have asked for it in many blog posts of both yours and others.

(And here I wait with another unanswered post)

Timberland2K7 said:

January 20th, 9:55 am

Sweet this is awesome, my mom loves to use the photo section of my ps3.

jonsi said:

January 20th, 9:55 am

MKV Support, if this happened I would be happy for the next year… Also am I doing something incorrect everytime I stop a blu ray film it want’s to start from scratch again. Thought one of the previous updates was suppose to fix this.. Thank You

Xulap said:

January 20th, 9:55 am

Hell yes!!

Great update! I didn’t expect the next update to be so wonderful.
You guys can’t stop impressing me.

AND NICE PSN ID FEATURE THING!
I was bothered right now, ’cause I forgot my password and everytime I forget my password, I have to check the e-mail to copy and paste it here… And I hate opening the inbox..
Anyway, thanks for everything, PlayStation!

Fatez said:

January 20th, 9:55 am

Eric and Jeff: Any emails to report bugs on Life with Playstation?

Thanks

Fernando

MagusAgnus said:

January 20th, 9:56 am

sweet! i could be done something with the music too! i’d love that!

ruffneckc said:

January 20th, 9:56 am

What are you doing to enhance the community features of PS3 Sony? Home isn’t really cutting it, in it’s current state. We can only launch but one game and it sucks that we can’t have voice-chat once we leave HOME and play a game that didn’t implement that feature.

Zeo said:

January 20th, 9:57 am

“One more thing, Put the battery meter on the bottom right and leave the clock/date on the top right. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!”

it would be great! please!

djtortilla said:

January 20th, 9:57 am

fotos is cool

but give us something else

ruffneckc said:

January 20th, 9:57 am

Oh and why haven’t we gotten the ability to use our own avatars yet? Is that not a most-wanted feature for PS3 users?

Robiebc said:

January 20th, 9:57 am

Very cool update….Maybe on your next update you guys can add skype… I mean psp has it already, what’s the hold up???

neo_bahamut said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

Nice features!, thanks for the update

darkedgex said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

Nice update. =) Like the photo gallery, seems like a great addition, and the extended Divx support is a welcome thing.

Now please add support for Divx 7 / MKV containers. Also please add exFAT support for portable hard drives so we can store HD content externally. Thanks!

Mort said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

This is great news. I use my PS3 all the time for viewing photos. Hopefully this enhancement will help with sorting and managing my 1000’s of pics.

Nice job. Keep ’em coming.

scorpio said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

This is one of many reason why I love my PS3!!!!!

Not only is it a kickass game console but it offers features like this that will make viewing photos on my PS3 easy to do and look great.

Thanks SONY for adding the features, I trully appreciate them and look forward to new features.

YippyKiAy said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

@147..It has to be like…you know..the way the Xbox 360 has it, Not just game-specific.

ftwrthtx said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

Just a quick heads up to users that comment often and stay logged into the blog, make sure you log out and then you can merge your PSN.

loster-a said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

Pleaaaase, mkv and x264 support for the next time!

TouchyEd said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

Sony, why on earth do you continue wasting resources developing features that nobody cares about, when there’s a laundry list of features that people actually want?

We’ve all seen the same requests appear OVER AND OVER (for nearly two years now)…but you refuse to address them (or you do so using half-measures like your terrible implementation of in-game music).

It makes us wonder if the PS3 is simply incapable of doing certain things:

1. Like having in-game voice chat
2. Or playing our own music in any game

And for God sake, move the damn clock out from behind the battery indicator. A monkey hitting keys at random could have figured out how to do THAT by now.

OverlordSpike said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

when are we gonna get the ability to log 2 network id’s at once in game =( i’d love to be able to be able to play some ranked R2 competetive with my friend in splitscreen, but have his exp and preferecnes actually save when we’re done

Jinoopan said:

Interesting feature!

zerowing_us said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

Well, I was hoping that the 2.60 PS3 firmware would have added support for the new DiVX but it’s not the case. How many months before it gets supported?

My requests for next firmware updates and I hope you will implement them ASAP:

1) Full DiVX 7 Codec support (MKV container)
2) DolbyTrueHD and DTS-MasterAudio bitstream output on HDMI (some people claim that it can’t be done due to hardware limits but I really can’t believe that the PS3 HDMI ports were designed in an hardwired way so that full 1.3a and 1.3b specifications couldn’t be implemented…Should I believe that the designed made a terrible mistake,perhaps?)
3) Support SAMBA file sharing. So that shared folders on the network could be accessed directly with no need for a DNLA server.

FreQaZoiD said:

January 20th, 9:58 am

Thank you for continuing to improve our beloved PS3 systems! Although few owners actually use EVERY function that the PS3 offers, it is good to know my Launch Day investment of $599.99 continues to pay me and my family back HUGE entertainment dividends.

@ 118 – Elsa43
Upgrade your 60GB to a WD 320GB or Samsung 500GB. It’s totally worth it! I have a 320GB HDD in my “60GB” PS3. “Near” Future-proof!

One continuous request for Sony: BRING BACK backwards-compatibility (if/when my PS3 eventually requires replacement).

Vinclive said:

January 20th, 9:59 am

That’s cool! I’ll always take the free stuff :p

Thanks!

Oh and yes… the migration was quick and easy.

Squall2600 said:

January 20th, 9:59 am

The ability to sign in with more than one psn accounts on the same ps3 would be nice.

niteryder87 said:

January 20th, 9:59 am

Nice, thanks for letting us know.

Tommy-Cronin said:

January 20th, 9:59 am

Is this all or will there be more features in the update?

rguerra said:

January 20th, 10:00 am

That’s a step foward, but I think you have forgotten something, like new pictures for avatars, or cross game chat.

KIDD_KILLA said:

January 20th, 10:01 am

very smooth transition,thanks.The new firmware looks slick!!!

Agent-Metalman said:

January 20th, 10:02 am

New Visualizations Would Be Cool. But Photo Features will work for now hehe.

RetroTank said:

January 20th, 10:02 am

Curious update. Unfortunately, I live under a rock, and don’t really know the pros and cons of divx. The same can probably said for the average Joe Schmoe.

This picture gallery addition will work nicely with the 500gb hard drive upgrade I’m planning to do this week, though.

But yes, I would echo what a number of people have already said in the comments: more gaming-related updates please. The chatting, the invites to join online parties…oh, and customizable music please!

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 35