PS4-Watch_Dogs

Street Fighter IV Invades PS3, San Francisco

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 21, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Hundreds of fans got their hands on the PLAYSTATION 3 version of Street Fighter IV recently, as Capcom held its final round of Street Fighter Club in San Francisco. I caught up with Seth Killian, who (quite favorably) compared the PS3 version of the game with the arcade, as well as John Diamonon, who I thought you all might wanna meet, seeing as he’s a staple here on the blog.

Oh, and a PROTIP from me: The optional install for SFIV is well worth a bit of your hard drive space – it drives load times in between matches down to almost nothing.

One final note from Capcom: PlayStation gamers will soon be able to experience Resident Evil 5 for themselves as the intense new two-level demo will be downloadable on the PlayStation Network for the PLAYSTATION 3 on February 2, 2009. With three modes of action- single-player with AI controlled support, split-screen two-player co-op and two-player co-op across PlayStation Network- the demo will give fans an in-depth glimpse into the game a month before it launches on Friday, March 13, 2009.

+ Sony-Ps315 on January 21st, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

JOHN DIAMONON AND JEFF RUBENSTEIN FTMFWx100000000

YOU GUYS ROCK TEH EPIC SOCKZ YO!!!!!!!

Yeah..i had a bit to drunk, AWESOME VID DUDE! i shall be picking up SFIV and RE5 to kick some PS blog members behinds! yeeeeeeea

+ Errod88 on January 21st, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

hi jeff and capcom i was wondering when super street fighter hd remix be available in australia i wanna play it so much. I guess i have til wait until street fighter IV comes out..

p.s I hope one of these events gets hosted in australia that would be cool

+ JKC31 on January 21st, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

I didn’t draw the line in the sand.

+ DMeisterJ on January 21st, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

Ooh, RE5 demo.

w00t.

+ will_orz on January 21st, 2009 at 7:07 pm said:

I can’t believe I didn’t catch you there, John. I was chillin’ all night, having fun and eating free food though, good times.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 21st, 2009 at 9:24 pm said:

I know, sux I didn\’t see you there.

+ BlindMango on January 21st, 2009 at 7:08 pm said:

PLEASE!! REMEMBER ME FEATURE FOR SIGN-IN!

+ BlindMango on January 21st, 2009 at 7:09 pm said:

sorry if that was a bit off topic, but it’s a much needed feature, I hate signing in every time =(

+ Vengeful-Chaos on January 21st, 2009 at 7:14 pm said:

BlindMango it might be your browser i’ve been in and out of this blog all day i’ve closed it even restarted my computer and I haven’t logged in since yesterday.

+ BlindMango on January 21st, 2009 at 7:26 pm said:

hmm, I am running google chrome, hey playstation staff. compatibility check here?

+ gold5225 on January 21st, 2009 at 7:55 pm said:

This is an awesome Video i see that it’s working now i watched it and i can’t wait for Street Fighter 4

+ longmeat on January 21st, 2009 at 8:17 pm said:

Nice, goot to hear the load times are short. I was hoping it would be forced so everyone online would do it too. Either way this game’ll be off the chain and I’m gonna play it til my fingers bleed.

+ theFLOW on January 21st, 2009 at 9:25 pm said:

Yo John! I’m seriously feeling the whole art direction you guys at Capcom took for Street Fighter 4. The paint splatter thing and all that really gives off a graffiti vibe for me, Which has always been huge influence in my artwork.

Looking forwards to playing the game, From what I’ve seen it looks and plays great! Have a good one.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 21st, 2009 at 9:50 pm said:

I\’ve talked to a lot of popular comib book artists and many of them were influenced by early Street Fighter art as well. I see what you mean about the graf vibe. Good luck with your art and stick with it if it\’s your passion.

+ qwertyuiopasdfgh on January 21st, 2009 at 9:38 pm said:

John, can you tell us what exactly is keeping SSF2THDR from being released on the EU PS Store?
If we at least knew what the problem is, the wait would be less frustrating.
Also, how long do you think it will take for the game to be released?

Thanks

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 21st, 2009 at 9:48 pm said:

SCEE generally has stricter procedures. We\’re working on getting a build that meets their requirements. We\’re working on it, trust me. It\’s been a frustrating, drawn out process.

+ deyessorc on January 21st, 2009 at 10:34 pm said:

Huge fan of SFII back in the day, both on the snes and in the arcade.

Looking forward to this game greatly. Street fighter was always about learning simplicity, yet if you wanted to go deeper, you could. This game retains that it appears thus far, yet has subtle additions to keep it ‘fresh’ at the same time.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 21st, 2009 at 10:57 pm said:

What I love about SF4 is that old school SF2 players can jump right in with their standard combos that they learned back in the day. The new Focus Attack system add a deep yet simple dimension to the gamplay because it only takes 2 simultaneous button presses to execute. For example, you can hit someone with a focus attack, dash into the opponent to close in space, then execute a combo.

The timing window of executing special moves have expanded so you can concentrate more on strategy than trying to pull of a move.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 21st, 2009 at 10:58 pm said:

I really wish there was a spell/grammar check here….ugh…

+ Tmakk on January 21st, 2009 at 10:35 pm said:

Nice. Can’t wait for RE5 demo.

+ WFMMK on January 21st, 2009 at 11:07 pm said:

Hey John, Im looking forward to SFIV and the RE5 demo speaking of demos will there be an SFIV demo before the games release?
By the way what happened, your not on my friends list anymore?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 21st, 2009 at 11:36 pm said:

Send me another invite. I may have deleted you because I didn\’t recognize your ID on the blog.

+ Jams_Shop on January 21st, 2009 at 11:12 pm said:

John Diamonon you rule thanks for all your hard work

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 21st, 2009 at 11:37 pm said:

No, you rule.

+ Delriach on January 21st, 2009 at 11:23 pm said:

“pending response to add as a friend”

*waits patiently for John D to accept*

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 21st, 2009 at 11:38 pm said:

I haven\’t logged on in days. I\’ll get to it.

+ psmgamer on January 21st, 2009 at 11:47 pm said:

Hey John you look alot like Tatsu from TMNT2 the movie.

+ Sumoomoo on January 21st, 2009 at 11:55 pm said:

I have a quick question John,
I have heard a few times that SFIV is friendly to new players in some ways but…never really much more than that. I have not played a SF game in years, so when I start playing SFIV will I be overwhelmed with thing to memorize?

Sorry if this is rude but..I would love to have you on my PSN friend list. Would it be ok if I sent you an invite? I thought I would ask before I sent to not be rude.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 22nd, 2009 at 9:36 am said:

Moves are generally easier to pull off in SF4 because of the looser input window. I don\’t think you\’ll be overwhelmed by the amount of moves you need to memorize. Just start with a few that you feel are effective then expand your arsenal from there. Street Fighter is great in that, people with good timing and stragegy can beat opponents who practice 10 hit juggle combos.

Whether you\’re new to SF or fighting games in general, the first thing to learn is defense. Knowing how and when to block high or low attacks is key. It\’s all abot learning your opponents tendencies and exploiting their weaknesses.

+ rockmanjoey on January 22nd, 2009 at 12:34 am said:

I love the optional install idea. I have it for Virtua Fighter 5 and works a charm. I got my PS3 Arcade stick ready to kick some ass!

+ KwietStorm on January 22nd, 2009 at 1:14 am said:

I can’t believe how long it’s been since I was last addicted to Street Fighter. HD Remix came out, and the love is there again. I have to say that I’m one of the fans who was skeptical about SFIV, but the more I saw, the more I wanted it. Now I got it reserved, and it’s actually almost time. Can’t wait. Still cautiously waiting to feel any changes in timing and speed though. I’ll flash kick a kitten to hell if the old combos don’t work.

+ KwietStorm on January 22nd, 2009 at 1:21 am said:

But on a side note, will SSFIITurboHD be patched, either for better online stability or trophies? I can’t play one day without being disconnected several times, any time of the day.

+ will_orz on January 22nd, 2009 at 3:09 am said:

After watching the video and seeing your face I TOTALLY SAW YOU THERE LIKE 6 TIMES. You probably don’t remember the freakishly tall guy with a black coat and a beanie, but SOLELY because of the club, I went and preordered the Limited Edition for PS3 the next day.

And I only just started becoming an SF fan…

+ Vengeful-Chaos on January 22nd, 2009 at 3:21 am said:

Really wish I could afford this game I was looking forward to kicking some ass.

+ clupula668 on January 22nd, 2009 at 4:13 am said:

I have to say that adding the extra characters to Street Fighter IV made all the difference for me. At first, I really felt that the game seemed too much like a 3D version of Street Fighter II. But with the addition of Cammy, Rose, Gen, and Fei Long, I started to feel a lot better and now, am officially excited to play it. Can’t wait to play as Bison and Cammy. I just hope you guys don’t do fifty different versions of it (SFIV: Champion Edition, SSFIVT, etc…) and, instead, just make any updates DLC.

Also, kudos for there being a fully realized story mode. Unlike a lot of people, a game’s story is really important to me (part of why I stopped watching RE5 trailers, due to not wanting to be further spoiled), even a fighting game, and a lack of a story made me severely dislike MVC2. I want to know why my character is in this situation, what their motivation is, and who it is they are looking to fight. Probably why Alpha 3 is my favorite Street Fighter game. Anyway, good job, Capcom. Maybe we can see a new Darkstalkers, with the same engine…

+ mani8387 on January 22nd, 2009 at 5:13 am said:

This is great news. Ps3 keeps getting better and better, looking forward to so many of the games we have coming out!

+ Xulap on January 22nd, 2009 at 5:13 am said:

Forget about Street Fighter IV…John Diamond ftw!!

(I know it’s not Diamond, but it sounds cool that way.)

+ macpac24 on January 22nd, 2009 at 5:25 am said:

Ill admit to not playing Street Fighter since SF2 but im defintely getting this! looks amazing! Hopefully some of the SF classic games will appear on the PSN EU store soon.

Also nice to see someone replying to the comments!

+ JKC31 on January 22nd, 2009 at 5:57 am said:

@178 Xulap
lol
Maybe a Three Chord Opera but certainly not a Solitary Man. As seen in the video when the 20,000 glass block ceiling came crashing down, Evermore.

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on January 22nd, 2009 at 6:02 am said:

Hey John D,

Glad to finally put a visual to you because I was starting to imagine you looking like Fei Long. lol/jk

Wanted to let you know I picked up SF2HD and its amazing. I’m really really anxious to get my hands on SF4 and I know my clan is too.

One question that I’m still waiting on that you are supposed to find out for me(#108 on your last post) Will SF4 have In-Game XMB support? I really hope you can get back to me soon.

Thanks!

+ TheGraciousOne on January 22nd, 2009 at 6:56 am said:

Yeah, the PS blog should have a spell check like Gamefaqs, everybody needs it here.

+ Scarecrow– on January 22nd, 2009 at 7:32 am said:

John you’re the man!

Great interview Jeff, you really embraced the whole SFIV theme there with Seth and John.

Hope to see all Playstation fans in this game.

+ Dominus48 on January 22nd, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

A Great idea for the PSN would be to Release packs from older gen consoles like Street Fighter 1 and 2 and Resident 1(PSX Version) and a cross platform version of the Gamecube version :D I would definitely pay for that.

+ BZKlint on January 22nd, 2009 at 8:16 am said:

If you guys start hiring blog readers as moderators (you know… to answer Qs and stuff) can I be one? :P

+ OItar on January 22nd, 2009 at 8:32 am said:

awesome! can’t wait for sfiv and that re5 demo seems promising!! thanks for the hard work capcom i love u guys

+ Cerberus_Hunter on January 22nd, 2009 at 8:40 am said:

Can i trade the RE5 demo for a SFIV demo? i already pre-ordered RE5, but I’m still not sure about SFIV…yet.

+ jakinov on January 22nd, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

JOHN DIAMONON
JOHN DIAMONON, question for Resident Evil 5, will trophies save for both players in the final release. It doesn’t in little big planet it would be great if we could use two gaming profiles at once so we both get trophies instead of just player one, both players get achievements in Xbox live :( and two people can play on two live accounts at once.

+ Francision69 on January 22nd, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

Looks like the street fighter scene is as competitive as ever.

+ Lifewish on January 22nd, 2009 at 11:47 am said:

cannot wait to get this game as well as Resident Evil 5 and Flock, looks like Capcom will be providing me loads of fun to be had, thanks!

+ AKUMA2000 on January 22nd, 2009 at 12:07 pm said:

I can hardly wait for this game, got the collectors edition and fightstick already pre-ordered and paid for……the game is gonna sell like hotcakes.

Also can’t wait for the RE5 demo…..

+ mysongska on January 22nd, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

John, i just wanted to add after I read number 50 post that I am completely grateful for my gift of Age Of Booty… I’ve defeated all 7 chapters in beginner medium and hard…and am looking forward to the trophy patch for more bootylicious fun!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 22nd, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

I know you are, I was just giving you a hard time.

+ Lakest on January 22nd, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

Wao Killzone 2, Street Fighter IV and Resident evil 5 i love the beginning of 2009!!!

+ mysongska on January 22nd, 2009 at 4:14 pm said:

different person actually, I was just commenting on his seemed unappreciation… Understandable mixup!

+ KillerBread on January 22nd, 2009 at 4:30 pm said:

please make a big online zombie games i buy all the zombie games but L4D and COD WAW is amazing!

+ georgemacewan on January 22nd, 2009 at 7:01 pm said:

Capcom is really putting some great games out in the coming weeks quick question about both RE5 and SFiv.
Will they be in 1080p?

I own a 1080i only TV. And I really want to play these in HD. I have to admit it would be difficult for me to purchase them if they aren’t.

+ Jinclass on January 23rd, 2009 at 12:17 am said:

can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on January 24th, 2009 at 8:47 am said:

John my boy when you going to respond my question? I know you’re busy but a simple yes it will have it or no it wont is enough for me.

Hope to hear from you soon John D!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on January 25th, 2009 at 12:49 pm said:

Hey LN – I haven\’t got word back on in-game xmb music support.

+ DOMI_JUAN on January 24th, 2009 at 4:12 pm said:

Streetfighter IV, a classic before it came out.

+ Reluctant Hero on January 24th, 2009 at 5:59 pm said: