God of War

Jan 23

Jan 23

Resistance 2 Patch 1.40 Details

Bryan Intihar's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Insomniac Games

If you played Resistance: Fall of Man, you know that Insomniac continually looked for ways to improve the online experience, even several months after the game’s release. We’re taking the same approach with Resistance 2, as patch 1.40 will be available for download on Monday, January 26 (you’ll automatically receive the download prompt the next time you play the game). The patch addresses several areas, including:

Multiplayer Progression

Some people have seen their competitive and/or cooperative characters reset to level 1. For several of those cases, this patch will not only bring back all the XP, stats, and attributes that you’ve lost, but it will also add to your character profile the XP/stats/attributes that you’ve earned since those levels were reset. For example, say you were a level 20 medic and after being reset to level 1, and you earned 5,000 XP. Thanks to the patch, you’ll return a level 20 medic and that 5,000 XP will be added to your profile.

This patch will also correct some medal and trophy issues, including the “Killing Machine” trophy (if you’ve already accumulated 10,000 kills but haven’t received this trophy, it’ll pop up as soon as you download the patch).

Here are some additional patch 1.40 details:

Trophy/Medal/Ribbons

• “Salute Me” trophy is not awarded until player reaches level 31 (Lieutenant)
  • “Berserker” trophy can be collected during non-ranked games
  • “Survivor” medal can be collected in cooperative games
  • “Sure Shot” ribbon is awarded if player has accuracy of exactly 50%

Clans

• Added clan support for viewing members, sending invites, and setting up clan tags
  • Default clan region is now USA

Match Balancing

• Unbalanced ranked games are cancelled in staging before the game is started
  • Parties are prevented from matchmaking into free-for-all Deathmatch games

Competitive

• Loadouts can be disabled in the “Create Game” screen in competitive games
  • Balanced the chance of dropping large ammo pickups in competitive games
  • Core Control scoreboard displays “Kills”
  • Improved scoreboard formatting

Cooperative

• Balanced the amount of XP gained by the Medic class in cooperative games
  • Stalker movement enabled in cooperative games
  • Small ammo pickups don’t give LAARK ammo in cooperative games

Weapons/Gameplay

• Splash damage on Pulse Cannon can damage the player firing it
  • Rossmore reticule better reflects its accuracy
  • Fire is easier to shake off
  • Players cannot swap weapons in the middle of a melee attack

Miscellaneous

• Localized text updates
  • Network message optimizations
  • EULA displays the correct language text for Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish and Danish

If you have any questions regarding the patch, please visit and post in the MyResistance.net message boards. The Insomniacs will be there to help answer them.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 7

morris1129 said:

January 23rd, 8:07 am

Thanks for the update!!

Happy_Spud said:

January 23rd, 8:08 am

Still haven’t bought this game! Grrr. I want it!

SpiritThief said:

January 23rd, 8:09 am

I don’t understand what balance xp for medic? Whats that suppose to be?

Bryan Intihar's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

January 23rd, 9:36 am

The medic gains experience at a rate that is hard for the other classes to compete with. We\’ve balanced this issue.

SpiritThief said:

January 23rd, 8:10 am

Damn double post, no edit ><

ADD TEXT CHAT, no reason not to. everything on PC has it why can’t PS3 games, why limit it in game to only a mic.

jBat17 said:

January 23rd, 8:11 am

thanks
perfect timing. should be getting 10K kills by wednesday. ah, my first platinum trophy

PullusPardusUS said:

January 23rd, 8:12 am

@2 Same here =(

Killocity said:

January 23rd, 8:13 am

Stalkers being able to move on Co-op should be interesting!
Always wondered why they just stood there and took the punishment :P

Just finished the campaign on Superhuman and diving back into competitive, so fantastic news overall!

Slipping_halo said:

January 23rd, 8:13 am

this is great. I do have a question, will there be any chance of getting some more maps anytime soon? Its not that im board of them, just like new stuff!! thanks!!

acerazer1 said:

January 23rd, 8:13 am

I like it when devs are actually willing to put in the time to deliver their game as promised, even if there were some bugs the first time around. I wish some other companies *cough, GTAIV, cough* would be willing to fix their online multiplayer.

Keep up the good work, Insomniac.

lowhonor said:

January 23rd, 8:13 am

this is a terrible patch…consider this game sold when kz2 comes out

this patch hardly addresses the issues people have been clamoring about for MONTHS. match balancing has been ruined even more, the party system is worsened. there is no fixes to the ribbons not showing up sometimes. etc

auto balancing was a MUST. cod does it, warhawk does it, and their infrastructure for online is MUCH BETTER for older titles.

i dont get why you guys cant just replicate warhawk if you felt the need to add halo and cod elements to r2?

i really wanted to like the game, but you guys are showing that you dont care to cater to your audience.

Bryan Intihar's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

January 23rd, 9:38 am

This is by far, not the last patch for the game. We\’re still actively developing, and testing new fixes and features for future releases.

seph1r0th00 said:

January 23rd, 8:14 am

I agree with Spirit, text chat should be available for all online games. I always mute people and hate using a mic so text chat would be perfect especially since the wireless keypad is now available.

Glad to see IG is still working on R2 competitive. I hope the changes to co-op won’t effect it negatively, as it is the best mode offered in R2.

KazeEternal said:

January 23rd, 8:16 am

Some interesting changes. Can’t wait for the player 2 patch.

Just out of curiosity will that Player 2 Patch in Co-op/Competitive work with say my friend bringing his profile over? Maybe it’s because I just woke up, but the details seem fuzzy to me.

Also can we expect an expansion for R2 in Co-op mode? Maybe some special challenges for us level 30 on every job people?

Bryan Intihar's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

January 23rd, 9:39 am

In theory, it should allow you to log-in two PSN accounts – which would indeed allow your friend to log-in with all of his data. But that\’s all TBD.

Capt-Fury- said:

January 23rd, 8:16 am

thx for the update Bryan

<3 Insomniac

XxBigP123xX said:

January 23rd, 8:17 am

Sounds great, got my platinum last week.

Axecution said:

January 23rd, 8:18 am

Sweet! Thanks guys! After constantly complaining about how bad this game’s online was, my friend forced me to play it for about 2 hours. Of corse, i played for about 6 while he was sleeping. :D
I’ve completely gotten into it as of last night. That being said, i still HATE (Ill actually repeat that… i HATE) needing to HOLD L2 to run. Seriously, Why in god’s name did you change that from the first one? Flicking L2 to run just simply felt amazing. Oh, i also hate the fact that you cant join a friend’s game without being in their “Party”. And… in one of the games me and my friend were playing, The enemy team kept spawning in front of the damn beaker. I just got my trusty sniper out and BOOM HEADSHOTed them for about 5 minutes, but it was still obviously annoying the people up front. Haha. Just a couple things I would like to see fixed.
Keep it up. I still liked the first one a lot better online, but maybe with some patches you could change that. xD

RDreamer said:

January 23rd, 8:19 am

Thanks for working on that 2nd player patch. I’m sure me and the friend will be playing this game a bit more once that comes out.

I really do wish, though, that you guys would try and work on a co op mode for the single player. Honestly without that mode I wouldn’t have bought the game myself (got it as a gift) and I know a lot of people that want the game, but won’t because they can’t play the actual story with a friend. I realize that it doesn’t make sense story-wise, but most people don’t really care. They can disregard that the other person’s there in their mind. Please, think about putting this feature into R2. I had so much fun playing through the first one with a friend, and we were so disappointed we couldn’t do the same here. Hell, I’d even pay for an update like this.

Bryan Intihar's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

January 23rd, 9:43 am

The problem isn\’t story, the problem is plopping another player into spaces designed for one player, enemies designed for one-player, scripts designed for one-player. We made that call early on, and for better, or for worse, a lot of the game design relies on it.

jpdaviau said:

January 23rd, 8:19 am

Good work guys !!!

reson8er said:

January 23rd, 8:20 am

This is great!

I haven’t put any time into R2’s multiplayer due to the holidays deluge of games. I just finished up the single player and thought it was darn good.

I am really glad to report that I’ll be able to dive into R2 co-op (my favorite) real soon.

Love ya Insomniac, thanks for the update.

+ Question + when will the podcasts start again?

Bryan Intihar's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

January 23rd, 9:43 am

When we have more to talk about… sometime in the next couple of months.

Natiej85 said:

January 23rd, 8:21 am

The patch seems great. I’m just waiting for some more DLC (maps).

Axecution said:

January 23rd, 8:21 am

Oh, and also – My mic doesn’t work for R2. ??? I use it in all the other games… It just simply WILL NOT work with R2. I’m using the official headset. Any ideas? It only seems to not work when i’m in a Party.
Yeah… Kind of annoying since i cant follow him. lol. Ill stop complaining now. :D

Vengeful-Chaos said:

January 23rd, 8:21 am

I haven’t touched this game since I got Platinum on 12/7/08, to be honest there was so many horrible changes made to online and some to campaign that to me it lost it’s touch, things that made R:FOM a great game.

Vengeful-Chaos said:

January 23rd, 8:23 am

Oh I forgot to add if there will ever be a Resistance 3 don’t stray from the things that makes the game great in the end you just end up with a product that’s mediocre at best. I know many will argue that i’m wrong well frankly it’s my opinion if you don’t like it tough.

Ftwrthtx said:

January 23rd, 8:26 am

So this patch won’t allow the 2nd player’s stats to save?

Bryan Intihar's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

January 23rd, 9:44 am

Not this one, but as Bryan said, we\’re actively working on a solution for that here at Insomniac now that we\’ve gotten the firmware feature we need to do it.

Heisem said:

January 23rd, 8:27 am

i love this game!!

issa3032 said:

January 23rd, 8:29 am

The carbine in Resistance 2 feels very weak and unsatisfying compared to the one in Resistance 1. Listen to Playstation Nation Podcast Episode 97 around the 1hr 28min for an EXCELLENT review of Resistance 2 with superb feedback and constructive criticism.

ProjectSiK said:

January 23rd, 8:29 am

FINALLY, should have had my platinum in this game around the end of November but because of the little “Killing Machine” trophy problem I never got it. NOW I WILL HAVE IT

Raacky said:

January 23rd, 8:30 am

sweet update, insomniac you guys are great man, just keep us in the loop for new stuff!! Everyone wants some more map packs- maybe we can get a retro map pack with updated levels from R1…also, how come games don’t include a “no radar” game, i think people rely to much on this and it would be a great addition to any fps!

cwalat said:

January 23rd, 8:30 am

Appreciate all of your hard work, thanks alot. <3

Eager to learn more about your upcoming 2009 title.

Obi_Al_Kenobi said:

January 23rd, 8:32 am

@Bryan:

Any word if this patch will contain a network stability fixes or more weapons balancing? or if you are going to tweak the party sytem?

Capt-Fury- said:

January 23rd, 8:32 am

forgot to add Bryan…

SRPA shirt and helmet for home plz :)

liketoski said:

January 23rd, 8:34 am

Sweet! But will we see any downloadable maps in the future?

axeblade07 said:

January 23rd, 8:35 am

Sounds like a good updte. Thanks Insomniac for continued support to make this game even better.

@12 I’m with you. I hope that the new firmware allows at least two PSN Id’s to login on the same Playstation instead of the second player just being named Player two or sharing the same ID. In my case Axeblade07(1)

LBP almost has this function. It allows upto 4 profiles to login and play but they can’t earn trophies or upload high scores.

BigBoss712 said:

January 23rd, 8:35 am

Its always great see devs supporting their games after release, I’m a huge fan of the first resistance probably my fav shooter ever but for some reason haven’t played this one as much, I enjoyed it but just not into it =( There are many things I miss about RFOM, for now I will go with KZ2 but I will be looking forward to Resistance 3, hope it gets some big improvements.

mrlogical said:

January 23rd, 8:35 am

FRAGILE EAGLE FTW!

Glad to hear about the patch, I may get back into R2 this weekend.

KillerBread said:

January 23rd, 8:37 am

thanks so much

Fersis said:

January 23rd, 8:39 am

Wooooooooooooooo!!!
Theres a couple of nice things on the patch.
Awesome guys :D

JustVashu said:

January 23rd, 8:41 am

Weapon loadout during competitive gameplay is too obtrusive for people playing on the same console. If player 1 tries to change his weapons it usually means player 2 is disabled and most likely dead because of that.

blackmoses11 said:

January 23rd, 8:46 am

Nice!!!

TheHater2 said:

January 23rd, 8:46 am

I am not going to lie, but Resistance 2 fail this time around. While the single player and co-op is miles better the Resistance Fall of Man, the multiplayer cannot be compare. Resistance Fall of Man had a better weapon balance system and wasn’t noob friendly. The online for Resistance fall of man was balance and everyone starts out on equal grounds. Both Race had their advantages and disadvantages.

You guys still haven’t address the major issue with R2 online. That would be the spawn points, marksman secondary fire and matching making. I been kill countless times by someone spawning with a marksman, using their secondary fire and killing me. If you are not going to allow the carbine to start with a 40 mil, then the marksman shouldn’t start with a secondary fire either. The spawn point in this game is beyond horrible. Resistance fall of man had the best spawn point in an online game I every played. And for match making. You guys need to fix the match size issue. I am sick and tired of searching for a small match and getting a 60 player map and 50+ players. That isn’t a small match. That need to be fix.

Bryan Intihar's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

January 23rd, 9:46 am

Thanks for your feedback – I can assure you we\’re monitoring these notes and taken them into account for future patches. :-)

Shin-Ra said:

January 23rd, 8:47 am

Glad to hear from Insomniac again.

rexor0717 said:

January 23rd, 8:48 am

NOOOO! Your getting rid of the awesome melee glitch! I loved that so much. :<

Andrefpvs said:

January 23rd, 8:48 am

“Now you may be asking, “But what about adding the option to save the second player’s character progress?” Truth be told, it required a certain PS3 firmware that wasn’t available at the time of Resistance 2’s release. We now have that firmware and are currently working to implement the feature. As soon as it’s ready, we’ll get it out to you.”

Now this is veeeeery interesting :)

lakaiHIGH said:

January 23rd, 8:49 am

glad to hear that Insomniac is going to keep updating R2 like they did the first one. any patches are always welcome if it helps the gameplay out!

peace,
Lh

KazeEternal said:

January 23rd, 8:52 am

@32

Oh ya that burns me something fierce on LBP, double the work for double the trophies. If you team up on a single machine with your account you should still get the trophy for all accounts present.

I feel the same way about Rock Band 2. I’ve earned alot of these trophies that require a band at my friends place on his PS3, but my accounts trophy list is all limited to what 2 people in my home can do.

Resistance 2 needs be able to make this happen. Especially when one of your friends who is in your clan is over during a meeting time. That person loses out on Kills for the Killing Machine Trophy, XP for levels in Co-op/competitive, and just about anything else that playing at home would give you the benefit of. Even when helping a friend who is on Resistance 2 for the first time when I’m over his place.

Bryan Intihar's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

January 23rd, 9:48 am

Our patch to allow a second person to log in should (obviously this could still change) do that.

The reason why RB2 and LBP can\’t award trophies to the other accounts is they aren\’t actually logged on to PSN, and that\’s the key.

blkant said:

January 23rd, 8:55 am

Ha, glad I traded this in, this games sucks compared to R:FoM. Such a shame…….

SenileAssassin said:

January 23rd, 8:59 am

So, that means the bug when after reload all the killed enemies and, consequentially, the weapons they dropped, are disappeared in a single-player campaign, is not fixed?

SWANN said:

January 23rd, 9:00 am

Thanks for the update. The multiplayer part of the game is incredible! So is the single -player portion. I’m looking forward to part 3 to continue the story.

Off topic: To execs at Sony, for the next firmware update, can we please have in-game chat & in-game cross game invites? This would just make it easier for all of us while playing games so we can talk with friends & wanted them to join us in that game.
Thanks,

SWANN

cuz_im_fly_homeboy said:

January 23rd, 9:00 am

i wish more developers would support their games like insomniac

GGCAN said:

January 23rd, 9:00 am

Thanks for the great on going support of this game Bryan.

qshooterp said:

January 23rd, 9:03 am

nice update will get back into playing this game now

PAGE 1 2 3 7