PS4-The Order

LocoRoco 2: Turn that Frown Upside-down

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar + Posted by Tsubasa Inaba on Jan 26, 2009 // Senior Producer, International Software Development

Tsubasa and Kumi - LocoRoco2

You might be wondering…”Tsubasa? Why so sad in the picture?”

“…and who is your friend?”

Read on to find out.

Now that America is ready for some change with President Obama, we too are ready to bring some change to one of our favorite franchises in LocoRoco 2. Question is, will we be able to improve on the beloved original? Say it with me people…”Yes We Can!”

Most of you may already recognize the basic controls of tilt, roll or jump in LocoRoco. I’m sure it has left an impression with you with its unique and colorful art style, gameplay, and of course the music that sticks in your head like bubble gum on your sneakers – but enough of the intro stuff…what’s new?

Let’s start with the music.

LocoRoco2 screenshot 14

Not only does it stick in your minds for the whole day, but once you start playing, you will immediately notice the music building up (more instruments, more liveliness) as you make progress through the stages. The Moja appear and even their gloomy voices create great fusion with their themed music. You are even challenged to play a musical mini-game during the adventure to earn notes (See above screen)! It’s like being in an interactive musical.

LocoRoco’s New Tricks
Music is clearly not the only change we bring to you with LocoRoco 2. The LocoRoco are not going to sit back and let the Moja wither their cheerful world. Even though new obstacles are in place such as water, huge gaps or boulders to block their way, don’t you worry! The LocoRoco have taken swimming lessons from Michael Phelps, and survival swinging lessons from Indiana Jones.

LocoRoco2 screenshot swim2

LocoRoco2 screenshot yadokari1

They can also hop into objects such as shells, and plow through enemies or obstacles to proceed. Later on you learn the super jump too, which is really cool (It just might take you to places you couldn’t explore previously).

LocoRoco2 screenshot tanpopo3

Deeper Levels
But wait, don’t be intimidated by all the new moves that LocoRoco 2 brings. This doesn’t mean the game is too difficult. All newbies are welcome to join us in helping the LocoRoco bring color back to their world. At the same time, we haven’t forgot about the loyal supporters out there. The more experienced veterans are sure to be pleased with the depth and replay value that LocoRoco 2 has. Some skills are not obtained until a certain level of progress is made in the game. You might want to play back some of the levels again, to go back and visit unexplored areas within the stages, or perhaps pick up some additional items!

The Stamps
One example of the items collected through gameplay are stamps and stamp sheets. I’m not sure if all of you can relate to this, but remember the collectable sticker books they used to have for baseball or football? It kind of works like that. Stamp sheets have been left blank with areas to fill in. Players will review the stamp sheets and do their best to fill in the empty artwork spaces with their stamps. Trust me, there are a lot of stamps to collect!

LocoRoco2 screenshot dark moja

(Oh…I almost forgot to mention there is a small reward for any stamp sheet that is completed. Happy stamping!)

The MuiMui House
Another good reason for you to keep playing is the great MuiMui House. This is the happy home of the MuiMui that you will or have safely recovered from their captivity. The player will start with the shell of the MuiMui house. They will need a combination of various items they collect during their journeys across the LocoRoco 2 stages.

LocoRoco2 screenshot muihouse1

As your game play progresses, you will (hopefully!) have more MuiMui to house and feed. Keep going back to collect the items you need to build rooms, furniture, and toys for the MuiMui to live another happy day. Don’t worry, the MuiMui will assist you in letting you know which items are in need. Although this will require some additional gaming on your part, we have prepared a special surprise for those of you who fully complete the MuiMui House. MuiMui!

New Mini Games and the Mystery of my Sad Face
There are six new mini-games to discover in LocoRoco 2, and since I don’t want to kill any surprises, I’ll just tell you about a few.

LocoRoco2 screenshot buibuiatack Minigame

A shooter type game within the world of LocoRoco? (Yes We Can!) BuiBui BoooooN! is a mini game in LocoRoco 2, where your objective is to shoot down enemy BuiBui (imagine super mean MuiMui), rescue the MuiMui, and collect the LocoRoco bringing them to the end of each stage. You are rewarded for you performance with items that can be used to create something back at the MuiMui House. Make sure to massage your right thumb before playing!

You know when you always seem to choose the wrong line at a toll booth or a cash register? That’s me with the Loco Race mini game. Loco Race is basically – Guess which LocoRoco can get to the finish line first. Your chances are one out of four. This is good fun. At the end you even receive a prize, hopefully an item you are looking for to build something at the MuiMui House? I’m terrible with this one…but that’s not why I’m sad.

The girl in the photo earlier is Kumi Yuasa, the AP on LocoRoco 2, and my partner in LocoRoco crime. I recently challenged Kumi in my favorite mini-game, Loco Rider, the mini-game that brings multiplayer to LocoRoco (Yes We Can!). I can’t tell you how fun challenging friends on LR2 is, so I’ll just show you. Kumi is “I love LocoRoco,” the Yellow LocoRoco, I am logged in as “NewRing,” the Red One…

The answer to the mystery is all in this video.

Want more LocoRoco goodness? Stay tuned!

PAGE 1 2

+ Thrasher20 on January 26th, 2009 at 9:58 am said:

Holy smokes! I can’t wait for this game! Yay! Finally I can go to my class now :) Thanks guys

Add me people

+ Sakimori_X on January 26th, 2009 at 10:03 am said:

I am *SO* excited for Loco Roco 2. MUST … HAVE … NOW … !!

+ Trieloth on January 26th, 2009 at 10:05 am said:

Cant wait for this to come out on my PSP…is there another PS3/PSN LocoRoco in the works?

+ SpiritThief on January 26th, 2009 at 10:05 am said:

PSN for the PS3:( Port them both:D\

[face_begs]

+ Axecution on January 26th, 2009 at 10:05 am said:

LocoRoco 2, Patapon 2, Resistance Retribution. Cant wait for my new PSP screen to come in! My old one broke. Oh well.
Haha, i love when people say the PSP is dying. ;)

+ lakaiHIGH on January 26th, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

i loved the first one and it sounds like you guys have fine tuned it to near perfection. cannot wait to get addicted all over again!

peace,
Lh

+ MarkNMo on January 26th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

This looks like fun!

+ Ftwrthtx on January 26th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Thanks for the info

+ reson8er on January 26th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Playing LocoRoco just makes me feel happy, any game that does that is automatically great for me.

Looking forward to this!

+ KUSHman666 on January 26th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

looks just as awesome as the 1 one. good job on this now plz make some more amazing psp games cause the psp games now are getting old…FAST

+ Ish_786 on January 26th, 2009 at 10:24 am said:

I hope the changes are a big improvement. With that said, Ron Paul 2012 FTW!

+ aztec23 on January 26th, 2009 at 10:26 am said:

Is it gonna comeout for the PS3/PSN in the near future

+ Craazy on January 26th, 2009 at 10:27 am said:

Yeah please for the PSN……Sixaxis FTW

+ Enforcer_X on January 26th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

Looking forward to this!
Keep up the incredible work!

@11
Agreed! Ron Paul 2012 (Now that’s real good change!)

+ StupidityTries on January 26th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

I know this has been asked before – but have you decided if you’re going to release this as a downloadable title on the PS Store?
I’m guessing that I’m not the only PSP owner who isn’t fond of the UMD’s.

+ blkant on January 26th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

This is becoming a more and more tempting of a game :) Already pre-ordered :D

P.S. to 11 and 14, Ron Paul is a horses ass……..

+ Ish_786 on January 26th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

@ 14
Yes it is!

+ Ish_786 on January 26th, 2009 at 10:45 am said:

@16
Speak for yourself dude.

+ DMPrince on January 26th, 2009 at 10:49 am said:

Is that online or local adhoc?

if ONLINE will purchase!

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on January 26th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

Adhoc for now. :)

+ LongTallnUgly on January 26th, 2009 at 10:54 am said:

If I can download it from psn Im all over it.

+ StalkingSilence on January 26th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

Totally weird/neat.

+ jcasanova on January 26th, 2009 at 11:01 am said:

I haven’t collected all the hidden stuff in LocoRoco, I would love having muy character doing some noise or some kind of signal when close to a secret area.

In LocoRoco 2 is it harder or easier to find hidden stuff?

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on January 26th, 2009 at 2:01 pm said:

That\’s hard to answer as its dependant on your LR skills. Personally I find a good amount of hidden stuff as there are slight clues you can see if you are on the look out, but I\’ve noticed that even though I find a good amount of items, there is are always more to find.

(Tsubasa will try to chime in soon, he\’s on Japan time this week.)

+ Scodo_Thope on January 26th, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

Got a new PSP, can I pickup LocoRoco 2 without having played LocoRoco 1?

:P

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on January 26th, 2009 at 2:49 pm said:

Definitly!

+ Enigma777 on January 26th, 2009 at 11:06 am said:

awww… don’t be sad Tsubasa. You put up a good fight!

Also, this game is AWESOME! I’m definitely picking it up!

+ Midgetguy on January 26th, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

AWESOME!!!! Thank you for sharing some more information about the game! I pre-ordered my own copy, but I have yet to recieve a demo for it… either way, I can’t wait until I get my hands on Locoroco 2! :)

+ evildude683 on January 26th, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

Man I can’t wait…i want this game so bad, i wanna have it now!!!
:P

+ blakepro on January 26th, 2009 at 11:25 am said:

I want to play this on my PS3. Any chance of a PSN version? The loco roco that is already on PSN isnt really the same…

+ Skater_Ricky on January 26th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

Cant Wait to get my hands on this one :D

+ Torgo on January 26th, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

I’m not allowed to divulge much for the US version yet, but I’ll just say that it has dominated my PSP for about 3 weeks.

+ Hutif on January 26th, 2009 at 11:48 am said:

Loved LocoRoco. Looking forward to all the new features.

+ shadowkilla1 on January 26th, 2009 at 11:54 am said:

Hey guys, this game looks really cool but i don’t know much about psp so i wanted to know if there are any more good psp games that are like this.

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on January 26th, 2009 at 2:53 pm said:

First of all…LOVE YOUR AVATAR!

Second of all there are tons of great games on the PSP! Can\’t say they are many like LocoRoco, but if you like very unique games, Patapon is definitely one of game that comes to mind. (I\’ve been lucky enough to have worked on both!)

+ TheGraciousOne on January 26th, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

Will the original Locoroco go down in price?

+ PlasmaGlory on January 26th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Were you even trying Tsubasa?

+ IIIKAGEIII on January 26th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

i have the psn version on my ps3 but i don’t even know how to finish the first level lol.

sad? yes

+ Gunwing on January 26th, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

It’s good to see the PSP getting some more spots on the blog now.

How about Sony do us a major thing by announceing all of those PS3/PSP third party exclusives they talked about in 2008? Where are they? What are they?

It would help PSP gamers in particular to know we are not left alone to die off!

+ Berae on January 26th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

It looks great!

Can you help me out? I aleady pre ordered this game but my eb games never get the promotion in time usually, i went today and they had just received the killzone voucher but no loco roco.. i want to try the demo of loco roco but i dont think i will be able to before buying the full version because they wont even have it
You have any spare code? :)
Thanks

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on January 26th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

If you pre-ordered LocoRoco 2 then your EB / GameStop should have a voucher for the PSN Demo for you. If not, call their Consumer Services line, they might be able to help you out. Good Luck!

+ darkwing75 on January 26th, 2009 at 1:19 pm said:

woah, i would definitely enjoy this game!

+ Sonic-Boom on January 26th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

wooow iam a die hard loco roco fan after sonic lol
anyway i like this game very very much thaaaaaaaaaaanks sony bring me more and more great psp games
add me

+ bigbadbros on January 26th, 2009 at 2:37 pm said:

Looks Good!

Will this be available for purchase on the PlayStation Store? I hope I can buy it there like I did with LocoRoco 1.

Hope the game does well!

+ sNsKid on January 26th, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

Can someone tell me if LocoRoco 1 is worth purchasing. I am so curious about it, but I don’t know if I’ll like it. Demos would save the day around here.

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on January 26th, 2009 at 2:55 pm said:

The LocoRoco 1 demo should be available now on the PS Store if you want to give it a try. :)

+ bigbadbros on January 26th, 2009 at 2:46 pm said:

sNsKid

It is worth purchasing and there are demos on the PlayStation store

+ Gumbydunzeeto on January 26th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

See guys? It’s priced reasonably *AND* it’s on a disc!

On PHYSICAL MEDIA!!!!! :D :D :D

Pre-ordered!

See? It’s not that difficult, is it?

Keep this up and you’ll see me buying a lot more stuff for PSP/PS3.

+ Darkos87 on January 26th, 2009 at 3:38 pm said:

I already have the game, but the menus are so confusing to navigate this time around. :(

+ maxxy209 on January 26th, 2009 at 3:54 pm said:

Loco roco 2 looks so awesome.

But sadly I don’t see a demo for it on psn. :/

Also will 2 feature downloadable music like the first one.

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on January 26th, 2009 at 6:15 pm said:

No Downloadable Music, but as Tsubasa mentions above, a special surprise waits for the players who finish the Mui Mui house!

A demo is available now for players who are pre-ordering so that they get a sneak peek before everyone else. If you want details just check out the last LR 2 Post.

+ acertainkid on January 26th, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

How long do you think it will take to beat the game? How many items are there total. I loved loco roco and Patapon. I have 100 hours logged in Patapon and 20 in Loco Roco. They are amazing. Do you know when Patapon 2 is coming out.

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on January 26th, 2009 at 6:16 pm said:

I\’ll let Tsubasa answer that one, but you can expect Patapon 2 hitting the US this year. Stay tuned to the blog for the official announcement.

+ crustySox on January 26th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

@36 if you have a japanese or hong kong psn account you can get the loco roco 2 demo already….its just as fun and the first!

+ Korlithiel on January 26th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

Seems interesting, makes me wish I had gotten around to finishing Loco Roco already so I could be prepped for this release.

Still, will probably preorder soon.

+ Berae on January 26th, 2009 at 4:18 pm said:

@46 crustySox

ok cool thanks! ill check it out, damn ebgames/gamestop

+ sweetasman01 on January 26th, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

Hello Tsubasa-san,

Could you please ask Kumi-san when the trophy patch for the European version of Echochrome is going to be release?

Thank, and sorry for going off topic but trying to get an answer from SCEE is like hitting my head against a brick wall while nailing my tongue to my forehead.

+ jipmg on January 26th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

Yea im thinking of buying some psp games, long time since I played my psp.

PAGE 1 2