PS4 - Destiny

Flower – A Chat with Creative Director Jenova Chen

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Jan 27, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

On Friday, I sat down with Flower creative director Jenova Chen of thatgamecompany to talk about his studio’s upcoming game for PS3 available on PSN February 12. As you’ll see, Jenova’s quite a talented and intelligent guy — a film student and first-generation graduate of USC’s video-game design program, you can tell just how passionate he is about games and the emotions they bring out.

Jenova provides some great insight into the basics of Flower, the concept of game genres (and if Flower is creating a new relaxing style of gaming) and the inspiration behind the game’s extraordinary beauty. Plus, he drops a few hints about custom soundtracks, a secret ending and more. Take a look…

+ press-play on January 27th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

Yes, it’s finally gonna be out. Definitely getting it on day one. Would Flower have a screen capture or a screensaver feature? It would be cool to have the game screen be my PS3 wallpaper or function as the PS3 screensaver when not in game play. Looks so pretty.

+ ProsaCC on January 27th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

Started reading and couldn’t let the name Jenova get out of this alive, it’s freakin’ Jenova!…making a game…about flowers!

+ acerazer1 on January 27th, 2009 at 8:09 pm said:

Great video, definitely getting this.

+ TheGuardianFID on January 27th, 2009 at 8:18 pm said:

The game looks absolutely beautiful, I’ve been waiting for it ever since they announced it, it’s a work of art and as an artist myself I can appreciate it!!! :D

+ Raoni_Andrade on January 27th, 2009 at 8:39 pm said:

I really look forward to play this game. Day 1 buy!!

+ kdiep on January 27th, 2009 at 9:20 pm said:

My first PSN must-have-day-1 title. Now (or rather soon) I don’t need to take my car out everytime I want to get that peaceful feeling.

+ agmsd on January 27th, 2009 at 9:44 pm said:

This game is a must buy for me. I think Sony will enjoy good sales on this one. It makes me feel comfortable just staring at it.

+ Gumbydunzeeto on January 27th, 2009 at 9:58 pm said:

What’s the matter guys, is my money not good enough for you?

All you have to do is put out a physical copy and it’s yours!

+ NewYork214 on January 27th, 2009 at 10:01 pm said:

you guys need to get two mics or one of those boom stick things for interviews. you and jeff both have awkward moments in these interviews. having to hole a mic up to someone for 10 minutes must get annoying lol.

and looking forward to the game

+ ruibing on January 27th, 2009 at 11:21 pm said:

If I was able to buy games for my PSN account remotely through the web, this would definitely be a day one purchase. Nonetheless, I will definitely get it when I go back home to my PS3.

I’ve been feeling a lil bit down recently as well, I hope Jenova feels better soon.

+ Thrasher20 on January 27th, 2009 at 11:24 pm said:

Flower looks very interesting

+ TopherTide on January 28th, 2009 at 12:44 am said:

Awesome, glad to find out more about the title, was a hit or miss at first, was going to wait for feedback from others, but now I’ll definitely be getting it….what do ya know, direct marketing works lol

+ JakeDHS07 on January 28th, 2009 at 2:43 am said:

Forget Flower we want Metal Gear Solid PSOne classic on the PlayStation Store!! Japan has had it since March. How about putting it on the North America store? I want Sony to take my money!!

+ Audioboxer on January 28th, 2009 at 3:54 am said:

Looking good guys.

I hope Sony can keep backing more “experimental” releases like this, there’s room on PSN for all types of games/genres.

Are ThatGameCompany a part of Sony? If not, I think you guys should snap them up, lots of talent and unique ideas :)

+ Belazor on January 28th, 2009 at 4:23 am said:

Oh hai AB =D

I want, nay, I DEMAND that Feb 12th appears naow.

I’m really glad there’s titles out there that’s not all about showing off the power of the PS3, but also offer some innovation (LBP, and now this).

Made me even more sure about my choice of console.

Keep up the good work guys =D

Oh, and .

+ Dark General on January 28th, 2009 at 4:30 am said:

Whew great interview Mr Marbles. I’m really looking forward to picking up Flower on PSN when it releases.

Keep up the good work on your new job!

+ Reginthorn on January 28th, 2009 at 4:42 am said:

Looks cool.

+ xBerserker on January 28th, 2009 at 5:57 am said:

Sold! :)

+ bigdaddyjane on January 28th, 2009 at 6:01 am said:

PREEEETY

+ drdre74 on January 28th, 2009 at 6:09 am said:

I’ll be buying Flower day it comes out thats for sure. It’ll hold me over until Killzone 2 drops. Whats up with Fat Princess? Is that soon or has it been pushed back?

+ Kenshin001 on January 28th, 2009 at 6:25 am said:

Did Jenova smoke a couple of bongs before the interview? He seemed to be coughing a lot.

+ BigBoss712 on January 28th, 2009 at 6:46 am said:

Hope they keep making games like it, Fl0w was real nice and Fl0wer looks like a huge improvement of that concept, beautiful design.

+ lakaiHIGH on January 28th, 2009 at 7:04 am said:

i’ve been wanting this one for awhile now and its getting positive feedback. day 1 buy fo sho!

peace,
Lh

+ djtortilla on January 28th, 2009 at 7:07 am said:

i got this game preordered.

im buying it no matter what

+ fox198 on January 28th, 2009 at 7:16 am said:

flower looks amazing =)

+ nefertis24 on January 28th, 2009 at 7:27 am said:

Now this is why I brought my ps3 because of sony first party exclusive, flower is a beautiful game I will be getting this another one of sony first party exclusive in february. Sony keep the games coming.

+ AgentX on January 28th, 2009 at 7:33 am said:

That was a great interview. Flower looks like a beautiful game with an original concept, and it’s one that I intend to purchase.

+ Letters2Kay on January 28th, 2009 at 8:23 am said:

I’m so excited for flOwer! I was hooked on flOw and flOwer since I saw the first screenshot. I can’t wait to see what That Game Company comes up with next… :)

I’ve always said flOw is a must-own, platform defining title for PS3- and I’m sure flOwer will be, as well.

+ dragonleader33 on January 28th, 2009 at 8:35 am said:

Looks great, its nice to see something new from shooters. I actually will be getting this. Great work. I will take anything I can get my hands on to relax me while in college.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on January 28th, 2009 at 8:48 am said:

This game gives new meaning to the old phrase: FLOWER POWER!

Can’t wait.

+ BaizDaza on January 28th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

Flower looks amazing! Can’t wait. :)

+ Zookey on January 28th, 2009 at 9:27 am said:

Keep it up with worthwhile and interesting PSN games guys!

+ Bildo818 on January 28th, 2009 at 9:41 am said:

How can a game company reinvent “games”? That is unheard of! Where are the guns? Blood? Screaming and loud music? Where are the power-ups, and carnage? Oh wait, you mean this isn’t going to be a game like that? I don’t believe you Mr. Morrell or Mr. Jenova. Stop dreaming…

Just kidding…I cannot wait to pick this up. I knew to save the PSN card I got for the holidays for something worth picking up. Well, here you go Jenova, here is my $9.99.

+ mywhitenoise on January 28th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

I wish the price was a little cheaper. Nobi Nobi Boy is an obvious buy, I bought Flow for $7 (and the $3 expansion) and felt a little ripped off having to pay for the rumble feature.

+ Zshiro on January 28th, 2009 at 11:20 am said:

Looks great ^-^ I’ll try it out.

+ Fallen_Guardian on January 28th, 2009 at 11:45 am said:

I hope that ThatGameCompany doesn’t quit making PSN exclusives after the 3rd game is made, because i enjoyed fl0w and ill be enjoying flower even more. ThatGameCompany, makes fun and relaxing games, and i couldn’t see all their hard work going to waste on the xbox…

+ Capt-Fury- on January 28th, 2009 at 11:54 am said:

@86

The only way flOwer could pass MS certification process is if the flower petal would grab a .50 Magnum revolver along the way…

+ Skater_Ricky on January 28th, 2009 at 11:59 am said:

Can’t wait to try this out… going to be hard to play since my time is with Skate 2 and soon to be Killzone 2

Hope this game isn’t very much I’m hearing a 9.99 price tag.

+ DonnyG on January 28th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

Must Buy!

+ SunnyBoy on January 28th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

i am so buying this day one! jus looking at the video makes me so relaxed and amazed, i cant imagine the feeling of actually playing it!

+ WEALLLOVELUNA on January 28th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

a $10 price tag would be great, definately warrant a day-one purchase, looking forward to this one…

+ mcx on January 28th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

Looking forward to Flower.

+ Enforcer_X on January 28th, 2009 at 4:30 pm said:

I thought the interview was fine.
The coughing makes it more “real”
Bunch of complainers!
Thanks Chris and Jenova!
Keep up the good work!
Thanks!

+ cac777 on January 28th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

this game looks sick. i’ll probally get it for when i get tired of COD WW, to chill.

+ GabranthPT on January 28th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

flOwer needs no demo, it just needs two things, to be bought and to be enjoyed (you could say experienced also)!

It’s poetry disguised as a videogame!

+ Jackal888 on January 28th, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

I love the niche titles that Jenova and crew create, but do they ever desire to make a competative or more traditional game? I would love to see some outside the box thinking applied to the standard genres that we are used to.

I am buying Flower and I will zone out in frnt my screen with it.

+ richboy96 on January 28th, 2009 at 7:05 pm said:

Hmm this game looks unique i might try it…if theres a demo

+ Schobeleth on January 28th, 2009 at 10:15 pm said:

Looks awesome! Definitely a break away from what most games go by and a very nice breath of fresh air for this gamer. A day one purchase for me!

+ JuanDHexen on January 28th, 2009 at 10:25 pm said:

Everyone Who Is Going To Be Playing KZ2 Should Be Getting This Game

+ Ice_Pick on January 28th, 2009 at 10:43 pm said:

This looks great!!! I’m totally going to pick this up when it comes out. I can’t wait.